Why would you kill your twin sister?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurenem6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dragon.ycp.edu
Okay, I'm working on a supernatural (?) YA that takes place in Heaven. The MC is a teenage girl who has just died in a car crash, which also killed her sister. In the end, it turns out that the twin sister tried to kill the MC/herself. So the question is, if she's the "good twin," why would she do that?

LeeFlower

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annalee.dreamwidth.com
I have to disagree-- 'evil for the sake of it' belongs in saturday morning cartoons. It creates two-dimensional, boring characters.

Give the character a good reason for doing it, not just 'because she was evil.'

If she set out to kill them both, than you've already established that she was suicidal as well as homicidal. So the question is not why she wanted her sister dead, but why she wanted herself dead. There are plenty of cases where suicidal people try to take others with them-- especially family members.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To keep the "evil twin" from harming someone else.

Because she was afraid she too was turning into an evil person because of her sister's influence.

Because the "evil twin" had done something (given her a drug, etc.) that temporarily turned her into someone else.

Because she just learned some surprising revelations that was such a shock that she didn't really know what she was doing.

Want more?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Well, maybe the 'good twin' saw her sister as being more (in that same sense as her), pushing her towards a Cain and Abel type of twist. Maybe you could read the book of Genesis and build on a little of that history; where good is defined in varying levels. (Good to the 10th power is still good but not when compared to the 100th power).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because the "evil twin" is really William Shatner.

;-)

laurenem6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dragon.ycp.edu
William Shatner... nice.

Just to clarify, the "bad twin' really isn't bad. She's just always been not as good as her sister. And since the bad one is the one that ends up in Heaven, she can't be all that evil.

See why I'm stuck?

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
Even if there were such thing as an "evil" person, i don't think her twin would kill her to save the world from her. She probably wouldn't even be able to see her sister as "evil," even if there was a lot of evidence.

Most teenagers are more interested in self-image, than saving the world. What if twin B had a habit of exposing twin A's faults?

One day, twin A does something seriously embarassing (something harmless but terrifying, like sneezing so hard she wets her pants in public). Fortunately she manages to hide it from her friends . But then twin B shows up and notices. And she jokes about calling Billy and telling him how hilarious it is. And in the heat of the moment, twin A notices twin B didn't fasten her seatbelt, so she drives off the road, not really planning further ahead than that.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...yeah, I think that's why I've had a hard time with it. If she murdered someone, how can she get into heaven?

It could be an accident.

Or she could just be mentally unstable and not realize it--e.g., she has multiple personality disorder or severe bipolarism or something?

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Maybe the good twin isnt' really the good twin after all. They switched places, there was an incident with a pineapple, and things just got out of hand.

TnTexas

Registered
Reaction score
The good twin was never really good - just a good actress.

Sempine

Registered
Reaction score
If they're inseparable, then she had to kill her to keep them together.

Mac

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
William Shatner... nice.

Just to clarify, the "bad twin' really isn't bad. She's just always been not as good as her sister. And since the bad one is the one that ends up in Heaven, she can't be all that evil.

See why I'm stuck?

She killed herself b/c of depression. She killed her sister b/c the two were so close, Good twin decided bad twin couldn't live without her. either that or i'd go with the oreos theory. Or you ate my eggo.

kim

oscuridad

Registered
Reaction score
She killed the sister because she had an incurable, degenerative and painful condition and she couldn't bear the thought of her twin sister living in endless suffering - which also gives you a great dilemma - how does someone who has murdered and committed suicide (because she couldn't live with the guilt and/or didn't want to live without her sister) end up in heaven? Unless the Big Guy takes a plea bargain...

You could even end up with the murdered twin agreeing to go to HELL with the murderer because she can't be without her sister...

Last edited:

cuteshoes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shana-silver.com
Have you read TWINS by Caroline B. Cooney?

I'm currently in the middle of it, as I also have a twin story I'm working on (though no one dies).
Anyway, it also has one twin being good and one being evil and someone dying as a result.

Last edited:

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
She killed the sister because she had an incurable, degenerative and painful condition and she couldn't bear the thought of her twin sister living in endless suffering - which also gives you a great dilemma - how does someone who has murdered and committed suicide (because she couldn't live with the guilt and/or didn't want to live without her sister) end up in heaven? Unless the Big Guy takes a plea bargain...

You could even end up with the murdered twin agreeing to go to HELL with the murderer because she can't be without her sister...

I like this one.

kim

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe they're not twins at all... Maybe one is a baby stolen by the mother when she lost a twin the first time around. Brings in 'nature vs nurture' issues and also the fact that not many twins are truly identical. Also makes the mother appear rather warped.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
As an identical twin myself ...

... my feeling is that you should consider the degenerative/awful disease scenario. That is, the murder/suicide is meant to avoid the awful fate of a slow and agonizing death from X.

I say this because my twin sister and I are always comparing health notes -- on the assumption that if one of us is diagnosed with something (e.g. migraines, recently), the other one is going to end up with it as well.

Well, just my four cents worth (2 for me, 2 for my twin sister)...

Sempine

Registered
Reaction score
Twins have that knack of knowing what the other is thinking, right?

Both see a bomb or a grenade in a school, subway, stadium--wherever and BOTH dive on it simultaneously. She only "killed her sister" by not covering the bomb up enough to shield her sister.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
There was a case in the UK a few years ago about twins who started arson attacks, and ended up being sent to Broadmoor (high security mental hospital/prison). These girls were so close that they had their own private language, and rarely spoke to other people, even in their own family. Sometimes at school they copied each others movements in a wierd, robotic way - and sometimes they tried to kill each other (by drowning, on one occasion).
So it could be that they are so close that they can't live with each other, and they can't live without each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.