I Need Your Camp Memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm struggling with my rewrite of "Letter From Camp" for Highlights magazine. I need to rewrite 2 of the couplets in the poem, and am coming up dry...I'd love it if you would share some of your camp memories here--especially humorous, and stuff that would be suitable for a kid's magazine only, please. One of the couplets I need to rework is about a foodfight; I think they want something a little more tame--but I specifically need memories of camp food, if you have any. Also any other lighthearted memories you might have of activities or happenings.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Camp memories?

Hmm...I once got drunk and danced to Abba's Greatest Hits.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Camp... not VAMP.

My brother and I starved for a week as we hid our food in napkins and later buried it because it was so bad. I bet it killed the tree we buried it under.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I was once the ONLY 14-year old boy in a camp full of eleven to thirteen year old Girl Scouts . . . but I don't think you can use that.

Something about a marshmellow roast?

Something funny about hot dogs?

Fun things to do with Jello-O?

Kool-Aid!

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Camp memories?

Hmm...I once got drunk and danced to Abba's Greatest Hits.

*ahem*
...and stuff that would be suitable for a kid's magazine only, please...

I think if they nixed the food fight, I wouldn't stand a chance with your dance.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I was once the ONLY 14-year old boy in a camp full of eleven to thirteen year old Girl Scouts . . . but I don't think you can use that.

Something about a marshmellow roast?

Something funny about hot dogs?

Fun things to do with Jello-O?

Kool-Aid!

Hmmm...

(We got to roast hotdogs last night on a stick,
But the marshmallows with them made some of us sick...)

Needs work, but you're giving me some ideas...thanks! Keep 'em coming...

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, there's always one kid who eats the paste.

And I had a friend who went to camp where they served macaroni and cheese for two weeks straight.

And there's the old-fashioned ice cream cranking . . . where someone forgets to put the salt in and everyone cranks for two hours and it's still not ice cream.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes! The Crest eater!! I remember her.

Great ideas...thanks. :)

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I remember going to Camp Reinberg (wrong spelling). There is nothing funny or exciting about camp when you’re in 6th grade other than we were all in love with our camp counselor. Every night each girl crossed her fingers hoping he would sit by her. I don’t remember the food, so apparently it wasn’t too hideous. Sorry Pat, if I think of anything I’ll let you know.

P.S. If this was high school retreat, I could really tell you some stories.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Something that seemed funny at the time -- just goofy:

At meals, we sat at square tables. Two on each side. Now and then, we'd do this thing where all the guys on the LEFT side of benches would stand up. Then, as they sat down, the guys on the RIGHT side would stand up. And vice versa. If you can picture it, it had sort of a merry-go-round visual effect.

It wasn't complicated or clever, but pretty soon, the whole place would either have joined in or be laughing.

I won't go into the flying-wedgie stories; I know right now they won't fly for Highlights. (And I'm DEFINITELY not discussing the pre-camp counselor week stories. :D )

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pat - camp memories, two versions - very old - one of the foods I had never seen before was corn fritters - globs of batter with little specks of corn in it that were dropped in a deep fryer and then served with syrup - very good. We sat at tables for 8, the head of the table passed out the food and the foot of the table had to scrape off the dirty dishes into a pan with a spatula - another thing I'd never seen. Before the meals were over one table usually started singing "This is table number one," etc. etc. After the meals were over there was always more singing - frequently a half hour's worth. I think the singing was one of my favorite things about camp.

Camp 2 - more modern - ever made Girl Scout stew? Each girl brings a can of food (predesignated as to whether it's supposed to be a meat or a veggie or a soup) and plops it in one big pot - talk about yucky (who would ever put tuna fish into a stew?) And then there was the year the mothers who were in charge of planning our cook out meal decided to cook brats over an open fire - those things explode! But the fake angel food cake (French bread with Eagle milk dripped over it and toasted over the fire) made up for them. Bread on a stick was also a favorite for outdoor cooking - basically bisquik dough wrapped around a cooking stick and cooked over the fire. What was always funny was to watch after the kids took their bread off the stick and put butter and jelly down the hole - it ran right out. Puma

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I guess that stringing the camp counselor's bra up the flag pole wouldn't be accepted either.
(but it sure made us giggle during morning pledge!)

PrettySpecialGal

roll, roll, roll in ze hay
Registered
Reaction score
Serenading (went to a mixed- boy/girl camp)

We also played this game called Ticks and Chiggers. Everyone in the camp would bring a bunch of outrageous stuff to the mess hall. The campers were divided in half (If it was an exceptionally large camp group, we added Fleas) Then the counselors, who were dressed rediculously, of course, would go on a scavenger hunt through all the stuff in the mess hall. For example: The judge would ask for the largest tennis shoe, or most unusual flashlight, and the counselors would run up and down the team, looking for this item. When they found what they thought fit the bill, they brought it to the judges table. Who ever was first, won the point. It sounds like chaos, but it was loads of fun.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great memories, all! Thank you for jogging my mind a bit, and getting the creative juices flowing. It's been fun to read these, esp. as camp was such a big part of my life growing up.

Last edited:

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I went to a Catholic girl's school, and we'd been told that Sister Christina, our teacher, used to come in and check on us and night and that she would kiss anyone who was still awake. So we all buried our heads under our blankets and pretended we were fast asleep.

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
When I was 16, I was off at a coed church camp for a week, and my boyfriend was also there. We were sitting in the common area goofing off, and he kept trying to tickle my bare foot with his toes. We ended up lacing our toes together (kinda like holding hands, but with our feet instead), but my foot suddenly cramped, and we got stuck that way.

*grin*

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe not suitable... I found a chipmunk licking the last scraps of peanutbutter out of the bottom of the jar, and put the lid back on for a few seconds.

He looked like a little furry mime when he stood up and put his little paws on the glass.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your offerings; it's been a fun read. I've officially rewritten and submitted the poem now. In the end, I didn't use any of these specific ideas (came close with the macaroni idea, though!). But your stories definitely got me in the 'camp' frame of mind, and I was able to tackle the problem areas in the poem--so thanks!! :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait to read it, Pat. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I have so many Camp memories. El Tesoro, Campfire Girl Camp. I survived many a summer there.

katrinka

Registered
Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Ah...fond memories of camp...
When I was in Girl Scouts, the troop leader would have fire drills in the middle of the night. Another time we were shown an obstacle course in a lodge. At the end of the course was a pile of mats we were supposed to dive or slide into. One by one (while the rest were locked in a storage room) we were blindfolded and took our turn in the obstacle course. At the end, the troop leaders took away the mats, so we were diving on a wood floor.
yeah. great memories.

Marie

Louise Shelby

Registered
Reaction score
memories of camp

As a former camp counselor, I can tell you that every camp is full of homesick children. Lots of weepy, inconsoulable children having panic attacks about needing to go home. Also lots of children scared to death of the great out doors. "My God!There are snakes out there!" A terrified camper came to my tent saying that there was an owl in their cabin. None of the other counselors would go near it. Everyone acted as though it was a big dirty vicious animal. It was just a little screech owl. I picked it up and threw it into the air so it could fly away.
At breakfast we had oatmeal that was so thick that if I got the spatula under it just right I could flip it out and leave the bowl completely clean. We had a hell of a salad bar because the head cook was a vegetarian. On days when the food was really bad, the head counselor let us all eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Last edited:

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
We always had bug juice at lunch, which was just strawberry jello powder in water...incredible stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.