Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm feeling like the Queen of the Writers! Tuesday, I got a 'rejection' letter from a small publisher. It wasn't bad, though...

While I loved the premise of your story, there are a few issues preventing me from offering a contract at this time. If you're willing to address these issues, I would be happy to review the revised manuscript.

My first concern is where your story begins. There are a few scenes at the beginning that don't feel necessary. As you read through the first half of your manuscript, ask yourself if each scene is absolutely integral for the plot. Can you condense any of it? Can you combine certain scenes? Consider opening your story closer to the point where your main plot begins.

Ok, so I went and tore into it. I cut 1K from the FIRST CHAPTER. Yeah, I had all kinds of junk that was just sucking up space. Then I went and condensed a bit more, but added the characterization she asked for, mostly at the end.

It wound up being about the same length, and I was still feeling the story wasn't taking off as quick as it could.

Then it hit me... combine the front half of the book into one continuous storyline! There's no need for the hidden diary to be in the drawer, when later the MC and her friends are going to find something else hidden later. Why can't the diary be hidden with the other stuff? I can delete what amounted to a whole chapter! I rearranged, I reshuffled, I cut and pasted for hours.

And now I feel like the Empress of Revision. What an even better book this is!

Whew. I'm still not done, I have to do a final cleanup to make sure everything fits with the new storyline. But man, what a cool thing to do!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
AND your publisher is willing to give it a second look. Good going!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm deeply envious of you, Christine. Revisions for me are generally a few hours spent reading things and feeling beleagured. I wish I felt like you do.

Congratulations. Now THAT'S a productive day. :D

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Go you! Isn't revising on that scale so cathartic? You can see the whole picture and what needs to go where and what isn't even necessary. Get it revised and get it back to that publisher!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
When you're done, I'll give you five dollars to murder my darlings too. :D

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
When you're done, I'll give you five dollars to murder my darlings too. :D

Ah, contracted hits. Has its appeal, but I like to stare into the eyes of my darlings as I tap the delete key. MmmmmWhaaaaHaHa.

Congratulations, Christine.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Very nice, Christine. It's the kind of rejection we'd all love to get.

And reading the rejection actually made me realize my own novel could use those same repairs.

Doesn't it just feel great to make a great book even better?

allen

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
Christine,

Congratulations on the encouraging words and suggestions from the publisher.

But all that accomplished in just one day? Holy moly, I feel like a slug.
Now, if you can just figure out how to bottle that mojo of yours, I'd be willing to pony up big bucks for a couple litres.

KCH

Last edited:

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Christine. That is a lot of work for one day. I bet the rewrites make the story even more wonderful than it already was.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Congratulations! I love it when that happens: an agent or an editor makes a suggestion, and WHAM! You KNOW it's right and plunge into a fury of rewriting, and something MUCH better emerges. Whew!
Can't wait to hear the results of this for you.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Christine! I'm glad to hear they were willing to look at your manuscript a second time. It's good to know they liked the premise enough to give your work a second chance.

Good luck with the revision.

:)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love the "AHA". It's even better if it comes with a "please resubmit"! Yee Haw! Ride 'em!

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's wonderful. What a thrill to receive that kind of letter. Good on you for getting right to it.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Well, to be honest, it wasn't all in one day. Monday morning I got the note. So the rest of Monday and most of Tuesday was spent cutting and snipping. Yesterday was the "AHA!" moment, and then some 'well, should I?" moments. Then most of yesterday was the ripping and tearing and rearranging and all that.

I'm between freelance gigs right now, and haven't had any sub assignments, so I had nothing but time to get it done.

And yes, I like this book even better now. And doing this is making me see how much of a mess my WIP (which is book 3 of the series) is too.

I'm on this roll now, I just want to edit everthing!

She's going to have it back next week. Come hell or high water.

Raindrops

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mackenziedrewnovels.com
That's awesome, Christine! I'm having to rewrite the ending to my book, and I have to take out a scene that I dearly love. It breaks my heart to delete it, but my beta reader said it was irrelevant. Now, if I can only figure out what to do with the last battle scene.... Grrrrrrr! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.