if you had a will...

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
"In the unlikely event of my demise, I hereby bequeath to my ex all my earthly debt..."

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
it says "if you go through the stuff I was writing and you don't know what it means or what to do with any of it just send it all to KTC."

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I have a will - everyone should have one.

Mine leaves everything to my DH - in the event he predeceases me, there are contingency bequests.

Everyone, please have a will. When the unthinkable happens, a will makes disposition of house, cars, stuff so much easier for the shocked and bereaved. I've been there. I saw my mother's keepsakes go to a third wife who didn't even want them. I saw people at the funeral arguing over my Daddy's wristwatch. Don't let this sort of thing happen in your family.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Kate's absolutely right. If there's no will, the state determines who gets what and how much - and they can take a nice portion, too, depending which state you live in.

Ol' Boy and I have had a will for years, too. And, man-oh-man, are my nieces and nephews gonna be surprised that they didn't get anything. It all goes to charity! :D

Reaction score
I have a living will, but not a 'last will and testament', which is quite dangerous given that my next of kin is my whore of a mother and even though I'm not rich I don't want her getting her hands on a penny. It would be easier if I were married; my husband would get everything but as my only living relative in a position to get her grasping claws on my wordly goods is a thieving, lying, adulterous whore, I better get a will written quickly.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
I've had a will since I got married. It was originally meant to outline how my business was to be handled on the event of my death. Then it was updated to take our daughter into consideration when she was born. Neil Gaiman wrote a blog entry a couple of months ago (I think) about why writers should have wills. And you should have a will especially if you have children.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where there's a will, there's a way
I guess that's what it would say.

On a serious note, I don't have a will.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Everyone should go out and get a will, and also a living will. This is important.

A friend of mine went through four years of arbitration because they couldn't find his father's will. It's not like he and his siblings are really fighting over assets or that it's a sizable estate... it's just that it really is a hassle to let the state determine things.

My will is very simple -- I leave everything to my parents, and if they predecease me, I also have other bequests (friends, charities, etc.). I have a living will -- I would be CRAZY not to have one.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I WILL ingest mass quantities of nitro so that my wake will be a BLAST.

Really though, my kids are making my will.

Every day they go through the house with a clip board...this is mine..this is yours....

When they've finished.....

I'll hire a body guard.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My sister and I keep talking about getting wills - neither of us has children, but we do own a house. After a real scare two years ago, we swore we'd run right out and get a will and power of attorney stuff.

Never did it.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
I'm not following all of this legal mumbo jumbo too well. I just know that if I did have one, perhaps I would finally find it: my way, I mean.

Will/way....ways/means--I'm tri-doggin'!!!

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Something to this effect:

I, _________________________ (fill in the blank), being of sound mind and body, do not wish to be kept alive indefinitely by artificial means.

Under no circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of peckerwood politicians who couldn't pass ninth-grade biology if their lives depended on it.

If a reasonable amount of time passes and I fail to sit up and ask for a cold beer, it should be presumed that I won't ever get better. When such a determination is reached, I hereby instruct my spouse, children and attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes and call it a day.

Under no circumstances shall the members of the Legislature enact a special law to keep me on life-support machinery. It is my wish that these boneheads mind their own damn business, and pay attention instead to the health, education and future of the millions of Americans who aren't in a permanent coma.

Under no circumstances shall any politicians butt into this case. I don't care how many fundamentalist votes they're trying to scrounge for their run for the presidency in 2008, it is my wish that they play politics with someone else's life and leave me alone to die in peace.

I couldn't care less if a hundred religious zealots send e-mails to legislators in which they pretend to care about me. I don't know these people, and I certainly haven't authorized them to preach and crusade on my behalf. They should mind their own business too.

If any of my family goes against my wishes and turns my case into a political cause, I hereby promise to come back from the grave and make his or her existence a living hell.

Witness

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
If I had a will I might decide not to believe in God.

My Father was a Will but they called him Bill but then the Academy saw his birth certificate and he wasn't a Will but a Maze. Everyone called him Bill anyway.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a living will, but not a 'last will and testament', which is quite dangerous given that my next of kin is my whore of a mother and even though I'm not rich I don't want her getting her hands on a penny. It would be easier if I were married; my husband would get everything but as my only living relative in a position to get her grasping claws on my wordly goods is a thieving, lying, adulterous whore, I better get a will written quickly.
I don't know the law in Scotland, but in the US, if you are single and childless and die intestate (without a legal will), your mother will inherit all or part of your estate.

One compelling reason to get a will is to make sure you cut people out of it.

Maryn, who's covered

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a will - everyone should have one.

Mine leaves everything to my DH - in the event he predeceases me, there are contingency bequests.
Wow, you must be quite the baseball fan to leave your worldly goods to a designated hitter...

Maryn, who saw DH and could think of nothing else