PDA

View Full Version : Five in one day

karenmary
02-28-2007, 06:07 AM
This SUCKS.

I'm waiting on pins and needles to hear back from five editors for five different queries, all of which I thought were really, really viable.

All FIVE were rejected.

Just finished the pint of Haagan Daas. Didn't help.

ARRGGHHH!!

scarletpeaches
02-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Oh. :(

Just Me
02-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Ouch. :( ::hugs karenmary; hands her chocolate::

oarsman
02-28-2007, 06:32 AM
Maybe 5 cookies will help. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/edible/oreo.gif http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/edible/cookie.gif http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/edible/cookie.gif http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/edible/oreo.gif http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/edible/cookie.gif

Keep working at it, Karen.

clara bow
02-28-2007, 06:41 AM
oh, fudge, that's simply *awful*. many condolences (but keep sending out those queries).

johnzakour
02-28-2007, 08:37 AM
If three times is a charm then six times must be twice as charming. So keep plugging away the next one might be it!

In this business I never think of anything as viable until after the check clears.

Toothpaste
02-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Man that sucks, but just keep plugging away! You can do it!

By the way what flavour of ice cream?

Penguin Queen
02-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Ouch, that's one under the belt from fate. I feel for you.
It's a bit difficult to say under these circumstances, "Dont feel disheartened", but really, I think it's like what they say when youve fallen off a horse -- get straight back on. Send them right out again, until you find editors who've got more sense. :)

Dollywagon
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
I think it was Arrow Queen who once had 30 in a day ... and she stills sells most of her work.

Blame the mail service for not delivering in small doses and keep at it;)

Calla Lily
02-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Ouch, karenmary. Here--have some Cadbury's Mini-Eggs.

Have you posted your query on Share Your Work? Everyone on that board really helped mine.

CaroGirl
02-28-2007, 06:19 PM
I've been there, and it sucks!!! Try to stay positive. I know it's hard. All the best to you!

Julie Worth
02-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Dang, that's terrible. I had this happen to me once, and I decided to do something about it. (Other than eating ice cream, I mean.)

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11715

Freckles
02-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Don't give up, Karen. Keep submitting! :)

giftedrhonda
02-28-2007, 06:56 PM
((hugs)) I'm sorry! I'm sure that's disappointing...

jvc
02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
I know how you feel, Karen.

Christine N.
02-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Ouch, karenmary. Here--have some Cadbury's Mini-Eggs.

Have you posted your query on Share Your Work? Everyone on that board really helped mine.

I was gonna suggest that. While you want to get right back on the horse, you might want to have someone take a peek at your query.

Just to make sure you're putting your best foot forward.

karenmary
02-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone. It was five different queries ... I don't know if that is better or worse.

Regrouping today, working on the assignments I do have and giving myself a mental break. Love the tip to hit the 'Share your Work' forum. Might be doin' that tomorrow.

The good news is the world didn't end last night ... amazing.

Maprilynne
02-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Oh sh*&.

Sorry . . .

Maprilynne

popmuze
02-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks everyone. It was five different queries ...

I would assume these were for magazine articles? In that case, my advice is to recycle if you can, or move to the next magazine in each category immediately.

Susie
02-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Gee, that bites, Karenmary. Sure woulda thought the ice cream would help. Rats! Next time you'll get 'em.

MidnightMuse
02-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Bummer ! So sorry . . . try mixing the ice cream with rum next time, I find it helps.

and keep on submitting! You know, retreating is just advancing in another direction.

And Easter's coming - best chocolate ever :D

karenmary
02-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Man that sucks, but just keep plugging away! You can do it!

By the way what flavour of ice cream?

Ben & Jerry's Vermonty Python, thanks for asking!

oarsman
03-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Ben & Jerry's Vermonty Python, thanks for asking!

Isn't that the one with fudge cows in it? That's why it didn't make you feel better...whenever I get upset, people tell me: "don't have a cow".

WildScribe
03-01-2007, 02:43 AM
I swear the post man saves them up to deliver them all together. My personal best is three or four... I forget.

The good news is, lots of rejections means you had lots of queries circulating. GO FOR IT! *hugs*

The Scip
03-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Isn't that the one with fudge cows in it? That's why it didn't make you feel better...whenever I get upset, people tell me: "don't have a cow".

As long as it's not the one the cows fudge in. :)

Thomma Lyn
03-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Ugh, I'm sorry! That happened to me last year -- five in one day -- and ouch, ouch, ouch! The only good thing is that it gets the pain over with quick. Hang in there and keep submitting! And I'm sending virtual chocolate your way. :)

transom-jumper
03-11-2007, 10:19 AM
at least you're trying. If too many come back negative though, consider punching up the query letter. Agents do exist who want quality fiction. Find out their likes and dislikes. I'd suggest calling. Web sites tend to be years out of date. If you still come up empty, attend a conference. Maybe post your query for criticism. If agents read a sample chapter or chapters and still don't like it, I'd guess you may need work on the writing end. Listen to their criticisms. When major agents have given me suggestions in the past I've usually cussed them out (privately), called them stupid (not to their faces) and had a tantrum or two in my home. After I calmed down I'd re-read their suggestions, carefully review the pages in question and invariably see their point and make changes. The good news is, once the changes are made my novel was far better. They criticism stung only briefly. The improvements were permanent.

Transom-Jumper.

Greenwolf103
03-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Ouch. That really HAS to hurt. So sorry for the rejection windfall. ((hugs)) And, I agree, sometimes it really is like the postman saves them up to deliver in a bundle. Or, if we're talking e-queries, it must be Friday.

Saundra Julian
03-13-2007, 03:37 AM
Hang tough, Karen. It will happen for you!

FloVoyager
03-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Sorry about the multiple rejections.

Proves your submitting, though. Good for you. Keep at it! *hugs and chocolate*

Dani Dunn
03-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Keep your head up! We all know how you feel.