Who Publishes Science Based Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on publishing houses that are interested in fiction based on factual science? I'm not even sure that hard science fiction is the appropriate term for what I'm talking about - no made up devices or futuristic leanings, just a what could happen if scenario. Suggestions? Puma

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
I think that sometimes, that kind of book can even bridge into Fiction/Lit. Think of Jurassic Park--a hypothetical near-future based on real science (unlikely science, but real science). It's shelved in Fiction, not sci-fi. Can't come up with another example off the top of my head, but I know there's more. But that kind of just-a-few-steps-forward sci-fi book can be marketed for either genre, so it'd be worth checking out publishers for both.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Could be considered sci-fi still. It's spec fic, right ("what if?"), & science-based, not fantasy-based. Depending on what happens in your "what if" scenario & how it has to be dealt with, I could see a chance at it being a thriller too.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Ben Bova's publisher, Greg Bear's publisher, Kim Stanley Robinson's publisher, Isaac Asimov's publisher(s), and so on and so forth.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
And this is moving into the SF parent forum--since it is about fiction, and not fact.

Hope you understand :)

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
Most SF publishers would probably take a look at it. Robert J. Sawyer has a few books that aren't very futuristic or "science fictiony" (though they are probably more so than what you seem to be planning). Greg Bear is a good writer of fiction based on real science in the present or near future. There's a lot of "what if" books out there that don't involve distant future civilizations, space ships, death rays, or time travel.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
If you call it a 'techno-thriller' then most publishers of thrillers/commercial fiction would be possibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.