Question on English Secondary Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
Could somebody tell me if English schools give out report cards and what the information in such might contain?

Also, if anyone could give me a brief notion of the process by which a student gets to sit for GCSEs, O, and A levels I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

Mark

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
In most report cards I received at school the information contained was mostly notes on my behaviour, other than the marks and grade of course.

Hope that helps.

Kie

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Somewhere on this board...

in this Research section are two excellent threads. One is about the GCSE and the other started out on UK School Uniforms and ended up covering a wide range of School matters in the UK.

I am totally inept with computers so I don't know how to make a link to these threads but they are here as I've just looked at them through my rep points.

They have all the info you need and more!

Happy hunting

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
O levels were replaced by GCSE's at the end of the 80's.

Students take GCSE's (General Certificates of Secondary Education) at 16 - usually - and some students stay on in school for a further 2 years to take A (Advanced) level exams.

Report cards in my day were usually single lines for each subject I chose to study (usually along the lines of "Cath is very quiet in class" and all that kind of crap - nothing detailed or particuarly helpful). Don't know if that's changed, but I doubt it.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
GCSE's at 16, and A Levels at 18. Usually a few months before the actual axam there will be a mock exam, for practice, also.

Report cards are a short little note about the students performence in each class he'sh does (and may include a final year test mark), although these nowadays tend to be worded a little more positively than they used to.

Is there something secific you were looking for?

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Looking at my son's report from 1999, the year before we left England for Canada, his report is actually a booklet with a page for each subject. Pages headed with subject, teacher, tutor group, general comments headed progress, behaviour, personal organisation, homework, and then marked as excellent, good, satisfactory, unsatisfactoy, cause for concern. Then comes overall year grades for the subject with attainment marked out of 5, and A, B, or C etc for effort. Then teacher comments (a couple of paragraphs), then targets for development. Each page signed and dated by the teacher. Whether they are still like that, or whether all schools give such comprehensive documents (this school was in London Borough of Bromley), I could not say. (It's making me quite sad to look at it; he went downhill with a bang when we moved to Canada.)

Mae

this is me - is that you?
Registered
Reaction score
oops

Last edited:

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm really just trying to maintain as much reality in my novel as I can. I only went to school in England through the first half of 3rd form. From there on to American Schools, so I missed on all the GCSE stuff. I think I have enough from you generous souls to make my point. Again, thank you, thank you.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Sixth form is still sixth form, but it is far from uncommon for kids to change school at sixth form. Some comprehensives don't have a sixth form and some are selective about who they let in to sixth form

Status
Not open for further replies.