Tribute to Writers at Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody catch the tribute to writers segment during the Oscars? It was introduced by Ben Affleck, and showed how various writers (some real, some fictional) have been portrayed throughout the history of film. There were some definite moments I could identify with; the frustration at having a block, the "gotta write now" feeling with an idea hits you, and the sheer joy of watching a blank page turn into a story.

Would have been nice if somebody more known for their writing had introduced it though, but it was nice to see.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I thought this year's awards show was very good.

The tribute was very nice, and considering that Ben Affleck is an Academy Award winning screenwriter, I thought him to be a very good choice to present the homage. He and his friend, Matt Damon, wrote and starred in "Good Will Hunting,” for which they received the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I didn't see the oscars this year, who won Best Screenplay

Best original screenplay: Little Miss Sunshine

Best adapted screenplay: The Departed

They paid more tributes to writers this year, which is a good thing and a nice trend. Not only did they do a tribute to offscreen and onscreen writers, they also did something nice while announcing the winners.. they actually showed you a clip of the nominated film and read what was actually in the script. I really liked that -- it showed the regular folks that movies starts with the written words and how important the writing is.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
I thought this year's awards show was very good.

The tribute was very nice, and considering that Ben Affleck is an Academy Award winning screenwriter, I thought him to be a very good choice to present the homage. He and his friend, Matt Damon, wrote and starred in "Good Will Hunting,” for which they received the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.

Yeah, it's odd that his "big break" was by writing but he went on to achieve fame with acting. Affleck was a good choice, just not the best.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft, movies don't have writers. They're just a bunch of stuff that happens, and stuff. Straight from the auteur's brain to the screen, I suppose.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I'm surprised that it's taken this long for someone to come out with the cynical thought that they only did it to set a better tone with the Writer's Guild, since the Minimum Basic Agreement expires this year.

But I am the Mayor of Cynic City, so...

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I was playing text message games with a girlfriend in another town during the Oscars and when that section came on I wrote something to the general affect: "It's about time." I liked it.

I also love to listen to the writer's commentary when available on certain DVDs (check out Lucky Number Slevin. . . surprisingly good movie and a good commentary if you can get over the notion that Hartnett and Liu are a little moronic)

Status
Not open for further replies.