Completed my first story this decade

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I know it doesn't seem like a big accomplishment, but I sat down to write in early Jan and just finished my first draft of a short space opera/milSF.

This was not the first story I'd started, but it is the only one I have finished (even a first draft) in almost ten years. Finally getting some discipline - sadly lacking in all else I do.

Started revising already, and starting up a new story tomorrow.

Go me.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Actually Matt, it does seem like a big accomplishment to me. I didn't do any kind of creative writing for almost 30 years. Then I wrote one. It sucked. Then I wrote a couple more They sucked less. Then I wrote even more. They still might suck, but they do keep getting better.

You're right. Go you. As long as you don't avoid editing the first draft (I did that with my first two).

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! To get to this point does mean a lot to me personally.

I wasted my 20s with false starts, talking about writing, and more drinking than plotting.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I wasted my 20s with false starts, talking about writing, and more drinking than plotting.
Don't forget some of us carried those traits into our thirties and forties.

But so what? There's still time to write. The older I get, the better I scribe...when I get around to it.:)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I'm chalking my lost decade up to "research."

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm chalking my lost decade up to "research."

I had one of those, too.

This year I finally sat down and wrote my first short story -- all the way to the end, without giving up. Then I wrote another one, and another. One of them was pretty good, and received some fairly positive critiques.

And you know, all that 'research' finally paid off, because if there's one character I can write convincingly, it's a drunk. :D

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
And you know, all that 'research' finally paid off, because if there's one character I can write convincingly, it's a drunk. :D
Right on. Every experience is valuable.

I should craft a story about a half-drunk pick-up artist who slides into debt via $15 martinis, expensive clothes, and exotic trips. It'll be fiction.;)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Matt, thats a great accomplishment! :)