PDA

View Full Version : Profile Peek

ShapeSphere
02-27-2007, 04:24 AM
I'm a nosy type and always look at people's profiles. I'm always curious to know more about people I meet or speak to in real life, and the same applies on this forum. The profiles are very interesting and sometimes very amusing to read. It also adds a "face" and personality to the username.

Couple of things to say. If I sound bossy and opinionated - that's because I am. :D

It's worth checking spelling and grammar. Some profiles have "I'm a an journalist/writer/whatever" or other errors. Easy to make mistakes, we all do it, and I know it's just a forum, but... it looks cooler if it's correct... what the hell... I am really bossy.

Some people have nothing in their profile. They've been posting a while, but there's zero info. It's their life and choice of course, and they probably want anonymity, and it's not for me to order them, but that just seems a shame. Feels so empty.

Do you feel the same way? Do you peek at profiles? Or am I just pissing in the wind?

aka eraser
02-27-2007, 04:30 AM
I rarely do unless it's someone I'm trying to get a fix on because of their behaviour on the board.

By the way, in your profile you wrote:

If I ruled the world...:
I would ban Brussel sprouts.

"Brussel" shouldn't be capitalized.

;)

ShapeSphere
02-27-2007, 04:34 AM
I rarely do unless it's someone I'm trying to get a fix on because of their behaviour on the board.

If I ruled the world...:

;)

It can be. There are alternative spellings.

EngineerTiger
02-27-2007, 04:35 AM
This is why I never fill out profiles. Too many people wielding editorial pencils out there. Oh, you mean I DON'T rule the world? Thought I did. Oh well, guess that's why I never seem to get the bowing and adoring throngs throwing rose petals under my feet when I go to the grocery store.

ShapeSphere
02-27-2007, 04:42 AM
This is why I never fill out profiles. Too many people wielding editorial pencils out there. Oh, you mean I DON'T rule the world? Thought I did. Oh well, guess that's why I never seem to get the bowing and adoring throngs throwing rose petals under my feet when I go to the grocery store.

Eh? I never noticed that.

Considering this is a writing forum, people don't bring up spelling mistakes in threads or posts. We know we're all writing fast and it's just a forum.

rhymegirl
02-27-2007, 04:44 AM
I'm a nosy type and always look at people's profiles. I'm always curious to know more about people I meet or speak to in real life, and the same applies on this forum. The profiles are very interesting and sometimes very amusing to read. It also adds a "face" and personality to the username.

Do you feel the same way? Do you peek at profiles? Or am I just pissing in the wind?

I'm also nosy, SS. I check out profiles. Well, maybe curious is a better word. After all, I am a reporter.

Bravo
02-27-2007, 04:45 AM

we're not talking about "alternative spellings" here. we're talking about grammar rules.

thank you

Cath
02-27-2007, 04:49 AM
I guess some people are more private than others. There's no harm in that.

And we all make typos. :)

aka eraser
02-27-2007, 04:50 AM
And we all make typos. :)

That was my point. :)

PeeDee
02-27-2007, 04:54 AM
I very rarely check out profiles unless, like eraser, I'm trying to get a fix on someone who's a bit off-kilter on the forums. Otherwise, I rarely check them out, I'm afraid. What I need to know about people, I generally get from reading their posts and listening to them talk. That's enough for me.

The Lady
02-27-2007, 04:58 AM
Yeah, I check profiles and I get so disappointed when there's nothing there.

I once got what I thought was a very mysterious comment in a pm. After replying very cautiously, I discovered it was to do with a comment I'd made in my profile. Nah, don't bother checking it, there's nothing that exotic in there.

ETA, I've just checked my profile and there's all kinds of spelling mistakes in there. I'm not fixing them either. I'm not that bored.

Dawno
02-27-2007, 05:00 AM
My profile has a lovely picture and many humorous answers to the profile questionnaire. I highly recommend it. USA Today gave it 4 stars.

PeeDee
02-27-2007, 05:00 AM
My profile has a lovely picture and many humorous answers to the profile questionnaire. I highly recommend it. USA Today gave it 4 stars.

I read it. I felt it was unique and special, and it really resonated with me!!!

Azure Skye
02-27-2007, 05:03 AM
I'll check sometimes. As eraser and PD said, I check to get a handle on someone's behavior. Other times, I'll check them because they've said something that impressed me.

rhymegirl
02-27-2007, 05:03 AM
And ShapeSphere, I have now looked at your profile.

Good advice you have in there.

PeeDee
02-27-2007, 05:05 AM
You have a good selection of favorite authors, Sphere.

rhymegirl
I very rarely check out profiles unless, like eraser, I'm trying to get a fix on someone who's a bit off-kilter on the forums.

Well PeeDee, one might maintain that just about everybody here is a bit off-kilter.

The Lady

Thank you. I tried it. I particularly enjoyed your answer to the date of birth question.

Pat~
Like PeeDee and eraser, I rarely read them unless I'm impressed with someone's posts (positively or negatively), or if someone sends me a PM for the first time. I usually enjoy reading them, though.

ShapeSphere
02-27-2007, 05:06 AM
we're not talking about "alternative spellings" here. we're talking about grammar rules.

This thread is going in a strange direction. Shame really. It can be:

brussel spout/brussels sprout/Brussels sprout/Brussel sprout

The capitalisation comes from Brussels in Belgium. So perhaps I should edit it to Brussels sprout.

I thought we all knew that words have alternative spellings. Other websites say otherwise. This says "brussels sprouts (http://wsu.edu/%7Ebrians/errors/brussel.html)". BBC says "Brussels sprouts (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_sprouts.shtml)". Encylopedia Britanica says "Brussels sprouts (http://concise.britannica.com/ebc/article-9358173/Brussels-sprout)".

I might change it to Brussels as two British sources are reliable as opposed to somebody proclaiming it's a typo or grammar!

PeeDee
02-27-2007, 05:08 AM
You are WRONG! and I HATE you for your opinion!

;)

But mostly, I'm just grumpy because I quite like b(B)russel sprouts, cooked properly and with some butter.

ShapeSphere
02-27-2007, 05:10 AM
And ShapeSphere, I have now looked at your profile.

Good advice you have in there.

Thanks - it's a Latin proverb.

And of course I looked at your profile as soon as you posted.
I do that for everyone. You are at your desk! I know!

Azure Skye
02-27-2007, 05:12 AM
I just read the profile of everyone who posted in this thread. Take that. Nyah!

PeeDee
02-27-2007, 05:13 AM
I just read the profile of everyone who posted in this thread. Take that. Nyah!

What?

:eek:

I'd better put pants on then.

Carrie in PA
02-27-2007, 05:15 AM
Like PeeDee and eraser, I rarely read them unless I'm impressed with someone's posts (positively or negatively), or if someone sends me a PM for the first time. I usually enjoy reading them, though.

Yeah, what Mathter Pat~ said. :D

Azure Skye
02-27-2007, 05:16 AM
What?

:eek:

I'd better put pants on then.

Yah. You need to wash dem shorts of yers buddy!

Kidding.

ShapeSphere
02-27-2007, 05:16 AM
You have a good selection of favorite authors, Sphere.

Thanks. I like your choices, especially John Steinback/Steinbeck as well. (Loved Cannery Row).His name can be spelt differently I think. (My books say Steinbeck). Or have I got two authors totally confused.

PS. I have changed my profile to Brussels. And my mature, beautifully-crafted and intelligent response is as follows:

:e2tongue:

stormie
02-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Profiles rarely tell the whole story. And many times I'll change it. I mean, one day I like Swedish Chef of the Muppets, another time it'll be Beaker. (Beeker?)

Does it matter? No. Is it just for fun? Yup. Writers just shouldn't take themselves so seriously. No one should.

Now I'm signing off to do something that is serious. My taxes. Ugh.

drachin8
02-27-2007, 05:18 AM
Brussel sprouts are best charred in butter with chopped shallots and drizzled with a touch of lemon juice...mmmmmm! I never thought I would like brussel sprouts until I figured that out...

Wait, what do you mean this thread isn't about [Bb]russel(s?) sprout(s?)?

:)

The only case in which I always check profiles is when I am considering critiquing somebody's work. I find the profiles sometimes give me a clue on best approach, and someday I will thank my diligence when I discover the profile that says "Tracks down and kills anyone who does not love my work as much as I do." I suppose now is a good time to admit that I am less likely to critique a piece by somebody who has very few posts AND hasn't filled in their profile. They just feel to impermanent in general.

Other than that, my profile checking is pretty random. Now, I have the urge to check the profile of everyone in this thread, though. Well, everyone except PeeDee. He scares me.

*hides beneath the blankets*

-Michelle

ShapeSphere
02-27-2007, 05:21 AM
You are WRONG! and I HATE you for your opinion!

;)

But mostly, I'm just grumpy because I quite like b(B)russel sprouts, cooked properly and with some butter.

:D As a child my mother tried to make me eat Brussels sprouts and carrots. I never could and would hide them in the hollowed out legs of a small table next to the dining room table. She was not happy when discovering this fact. Later I hid them in my pockets. Later she accepted my culinary tastes and put vegetables on my plate purely for decoration. She felt it looked too brown when there was only meat, potatoes and gravy.

Carrie in PA
02-27-2007, 05:22 AM
Well, everyone except PeeDee. He scares me.

He's harmless.

As long as you have a huge stash of garlic handy. :D

TrainofThought
02-27-2007, 05:24 AM
I very rarely check out profiles unless, like eraser, I'm trying to get a fix on someone who's a bit off-kilter on the forums. Otherwise, I rarely check them out, I'm afraid. What I need to know about people, I generally get from reading their posts and listening to them talk. That's enough for me.I saw you peeking at my profile and it had nothing to do with being off-kilter. Where’s my PHENTERMINE?

Bravo
02-27-2007, 05:24 AM
This thread is going in a strange direction. Shame really. It can be:

brussel spout/brussels sprout/Brussels sprout/Brussel sprout

The capitalisation comes from Brussels in Belgium. So perhaps I should edit it to Brussels sprout.

I thought we all knew that words have alternative spellings. Other websites say otherwise. This says "brussels sprouts (http://wsu.edu/%7Ebrians/errors/brussel.html)". BBC says "Brussels sprouts (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_sprouts.shtml)". Encylopedia Britanica says "Brussels sprouts (http://concise.britannica.com/ebc/article-9358173/Brussels-sprout)".

I might change it to Brussels as two British sources are reliable as opposed to somebody proclaiming it's a typo or grammar!

yea it works if you said "Brussels" sprout.

not Brussel sprout.

and i was only correcting you b/c you were making a pt about spelling.

as you can see, im pretty flippant about grammar rules in my posts.

;)

PeeDee
02-27-2007, 05:27 AM
I remember once, Bravo used capitals for a week. I felt like I'd fallen itno an alternate dimension. I was weirded out all week.

Originally Posted by drachin8 http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1154603#post1154603)
Well, everyone except PeeDee. He scares me.

:(

I'll just go, then. I'll just leave. Here I go. Leaving...

KTC
02-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Speaking of profile peeking...

hey eraser. we're from the same town! Imagine that. I think I once knew that, but forgot it. I used to always go to B-ville for movies too...until the new theatre opened up just around the corner from us. Freak me out...I didn't know you were from here? You should check out the WCDR.

rhymegirl
02-27-2007, 05:32 AM
and i was only correcting you b/c you were making a pt about spelling.

as you can see, im pretty flippant about grammar rules in my posts.

;)

You're just a troublemaker. :)

KTC
02-27-2007, 05:35 AM
i spelt somefin the otha day that wus mostly write.

KTC
02-27-2007, 05:36 AM
You're just a troublemaker. :)

With Satan in your avatar, you should not be calling other people troublemaker!

rhymegirl
02-27-2007, 05:37 AM
With Satan in your avatar, you should not be calling other people troublemaker!

Bite me.

KTC
02-27-2007, 05:38 AM
As long as you don't bite me back. I'm very alergic. I break out. Then you'll be in for a mess of trouble, Missy.

rhymegirl
02-27-2007, 05:48 AM
But back to profiles.

Kevin, did you know that PeeDee is still afraid of the dark? Oh yes. Says so in his profile.

PeeDee
02-27-2007, 05:50 AM
It depends on the type of dark, and what's in my head that day, but yes, I am occasionally.

tlblack
02-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Ok, after reading this thread I'm seriously tempted to edit my profile to read in my native tongue... Southern! I'll have to go find my hillbilly picture first though.

I rarely ever read profiles.

MattW
02-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Having never tried them, I once told someone I don't much enjoy brussel sprouts - that I was more of a cabbage person.

I still don't like them out of principle.

pink lily
02-27-2007, 06:58 AM

thank you
I lol'd at this post.

But I haven't checked the profiles yet.

I do when I can, but I'm usually too busy.

kristie911
02-27-2007, 07:38 AM
I love checking profiles...there's nothing more disappointing than clicking on someone and finding they never filled out their profile. And I get very excited when there's a profile pic there! But then I'm easily amused. :)

Oh, and I love brussel sprouts, especially sprinkled with PHENTERMINE.

MattW
02-27-2007, 07:45 AM
I check profiles too - usually looking for something that helps me remember someone I haven't had much interaction with.

ShapeSphere
02-27-2007, 10:36 AM
yea it works if you said "Brussels" sprout. not Brussel sprout.

... err ... okay ... so now capitalisation is fine, the grammar rule is fine, and the alternative spelling is acceptable. Marvellous. We'd better tell aka eraser that. ;)

travelgal
02-27-2007, 11:27 AM
I hate brussels sprouts! Ewww..... Mum made me eat 'em, even in adulthood. "Only one or two small ones!" And olives, too. Yech. Why I eat them? 'Cos I hate wasting food, and no bird would eat some danged brussel sprout.

I like look at profiles when somebody's post intrigues me, even when I don't respond to a thread. Which happens often.

Hey shapes, I'm just a stone's chuck from where you be. Fukuoka's a cool place. Been there for visa runs from Korea four times, and I used to live in Japan back in 1996. (Okayama city, in a town called Kasaoka)

Medievalist
02-27-2007, 11:35 AM

No, actually, there aren't "alternative spellings." You have a choice of singular or plural; the B is upper case.

And yeah, I think complaining about spelling in profiles is . . . not really the the most socially adept thing to do.

PeeDee
02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
I wish you lot wouldn't talk about yourself in your profiles so much. It gets soooo boring.

ShapeSphere
02-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Fukuoka's a cool place. Been there for visa runs from Korea four times, and I used to live in Japan back in 1996. (Okayama city, in a town called Kasaoka)

Hi travelgal - yes Fukuoka is cool and compact. I've only been here six months, but having a fine time.

No, actually, there aren't "alternative spellings." You have a choice of singular or plural; the B is upper case.

Wonderful news. Please inform the entire Internet, dictionaries and encyclopedias. Shouldn't take too long. Not sure why you are telling me when I spelt it with an upper case B in the first place. I am so glad we're not going round in circles. I would really really really hate for that to happen.

And yeah, I think complaining about spelling in profiles is . . . not really the the most socially adept thing to do.

Cool. Most of the best and famous writers weren't socially adept as well. I'm on the right track!

:hooray:

drachin8
02-27-2007, 04:12 PM
I wish you lot wouldn't talk about yourself in your profiles so much. It gets soooo boring.

I tried talking about everybody else in my profile once, but the death threats really got ridiculous.

-Michelle

drachin8
02-27-2007, 04:21 PM
I hate brussels sprouts! Ewww..... Mum made me eat 'em, even in adulthood. "Only one or two small ones!" And olives, too. Yech. Why I eat them? 'Cos I hate wasting food, and no bird would eat some danged brussel sprout.

I like look at profiles when somebody's post intrigues me, even when I don't respond to a thread. Which happens often.

Hey shapes, I'm just a stone's chuck from where you be. Fukuoka's a cool place. Been there for visa runs from Korea four times, and I used to live in Japan back in 1996. (Okayama city, in a town called Kasaoka)

You should cook something for your Mom involving food she dislikes and see if she eats it. I know what my Mom's reaction would be!

-Michelle

PS - Olives, mmmmmm. My cats love olives. Okay, they mostly just like licking them, but close enough...

Sean D. Schaffer
02-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Like AKA Eraser and others have said, I usually only check people's profiles when I want to know why they act the way they do.

It's interesting to note, I find the majority of trolls say nothing about themselves, save possibly their general location and their gender. This is not to say everyone who does this is automatically a troll, as many people are just private when it comes to their personal life. Rather, it is to say I find very few trolls who give out information that can make them easier to figure out.

Sometimes I find typos and other problems on people's profiles. But to me, whether someone spells it 'Brussel Sprouts' or 'Brussels Sprouts' is rather irrelevant to just about anything. I've noticed that spelling mistakes, these days, are quite common and, though I am disgusted by them, this is by no means reason to judge another writer. They could just be in a hurry or not fully awake yet when they write out their typos; any number of things could be causing the errors.

Medievalist
02-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Sometimes I find typos and other problems on people's profiles. But to me, whether someone spells it 'Brussel Sprouts' or 'Brussels Sprouts' is rather irrelevant to just about anything. I've noticed that spelling mistakes, these days, are quite common and, though I am disgusted by them, this is by no means reason to judge another writer. They could just be in a hurry or not fully awake yet when they write out their typos; any number of things could be causing the errors.

Or they could be dyslexic.

swvaughn
02-27-2007, 10:06 PM
We have profiles here? Oh - cool! Found 'em! Wheeee!

Don't mind me. Took me a year to discover rep points. :D

Oh, and I hate Bbrussel(l)(s) sprouts. Perhaps I've never had them prepared properly. Pete, will you cook some for me? With a side of Phentermine?

Vanatru
02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Like AKA Eraser and others have said, I usually only check people's profiles when I want to know why they act the way they do.

It's interesting to note, I find the majority of trolls say nothing about themselves, save possibly their general location and their gender. This is not to say everyone who does this is automatically a troll, as many people are just private when it comes to their personal life. Rather, it is to say I find very few trolls who give out information that can make them easier to figure out.

Don't forget........at least IMO.............these potential trolls are some of the most yakety people on the boards, but with little really to say. In refrence to this board, they run their mouths, but have little to say about writing or helping out in the writing areas. IMO.

aadams73
02-27-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm all for banning brussel sprouty whatzits. Excuse the crassness, but if a fart had actual form, it would be a brussel sprout. :D

Stew21
02-27-2007, 10:42 PM
i look at profiles but never grade on spelling and grammar.

Medievalist
02-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Brussels sprouts with lemon butter and garlic, steamed. But don't get the horrid tough ones that are really mothballs trying to pass themselves off as vegetables.

lfraser
02-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Or they could be dyslexic.

Or have arthritic fingers.

Or be working on a laptop with a miniscule keyboard.

Or not be wearing their glasses.

Pagey's_Girl
02-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Oh, and I hate Bbrussel(l)(s) sprouts. Perhaps I've never had them prepared properly. Pete, will you cook some for me? With a side of Phentermine?

PHENTERMINE! Is there anything it can't do?

WerenCole
02-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I am with the other veterans like Pete and Frank. . . everytime I come to an encounter with a precocious(sp?) poster I check out there profile. For instance I have never looked a Pete or Franks, never felt the need. I like to have fun with my profile though. . . I mean, why not? Try to make it funny without letting on too much about myself.

Who else likes funyons?

Shadow_Ferret
02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
I only check out the profiles of people here I like.

For instance, I've never checked out anyone's profile who's posted in this thread so far.

Bwahahahahaha!

WerenCole
02-27-2007, 11:25 PM
I only check out the profiles of people here I like.

For instance, I've never checked out anyone's profile who's posted in this thread so far.

Bwahahahahaha!

I'm sorry, who are you again? :D

Shadow_Ferret
02-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Pogo. I just got here. Vote for me.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Don't forget........at least IMO.............these potential trolls are some of the most yakety people on the boards, but with little really to say. In refrence to this board, they run their mouths, but have little to say about writing or helping out in the writing areas. IMO.

This is true. I didn't originally mention that though, because I thought a long, drawn-out explanation would detract from the conversation.

It hasn't, thankfully, so I guess I was wrong in that respect.

Old Hack
02-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Brussels sprouts with lemon butter and garlic, steamed.

Sweetie, sweetie... you're wrong. For the first time ever, you're wrong. Sprouts (see the neat way I sidestepped the spelling issue there?) are at their best when cooked gently; covered in melted butter; and mixed with crispy fried bacon, or toasted flaked almonds, or, if it's Christmas and you're feeling really fancy, both. Delicious. Only you really do need potatoes roasted in goosefat and some decent gravy to go with them.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Sweetie, sweetie... you're wrong. For the first time ever, you're wrong. Sprouts (see the neat way I sidestepped the spelling issue there?) are at their best when cooked gently; covered in melted butter; and mixed with crispy fried bacon, or toasted flaked almonds, or, if it's Christmas and you're feeling really fancy, both. Delicious. Only you really do need potatoes roasted in goosefat and some decent gravy to go with them.

You almost make me want to have sprouts for dinner.

Almost.

aka eraser
02-28-2007, 01:02 AM
I'll bow to Medievalist's superior linguistic knowledge and apologize to Shape for tweaking his B. :)

And THE key for making Brussel sprouts tasty is to choose small, tightly-wrapped ones and cut off an extra half-inch of stem. Then steam them and toss in peppered garlic butter.

Yum.

ChunkyC
02-28-2007, 02:50 AM
I wonder what Homeland Security would have to say about all this profiling?

*starts dialing 1-800-RAT-FINK*

MidnightMuse
02-28-2007, 02:54 AM
I feel inordinately tempted to change my profile and misspell all the words.

Pagey's_Girl
02-28-2007, 05:19 AM
I feel inordinately tempted to change my profile and misspell all the words.

I probably already did that without trying. :)

stormie
02-28-2007, 05:21 AM
I wonder what Homeland Security would have to say about all this profiling?
They'd be very, very concerned about all this talk of Brussels Sprouts. Probably a secret code, right along with who our favorite Muppets character is.

scarletpeaches
02-28-2007, 05:27 AM

If I ruled the world...:

;)

Yes it should. But it should also be spelled Brussels.

aka eraser
02-28-2007, 06:11 AM
You skipped a few posts in your reading didn't you scarlet?

;)

ShapeSphere
02-28-2007, 06:27 AM
I'll bow to Medievalist's superior linguistic knowledge and apologize to Shape for tweaking his B. :)

No worries. I remember on another forum discussing American music and I proclaimed that Neil Young was one of my favourite American rock stars. It was pointed out to me that he is actually Canadian. Top that!

While the discussion of sprouts is vital to the welfare of future generations and world peace, would people mind ever so much if I talked about profiles again.

Remember I am only giving opinions here. This is a forum and I'm for 'em. I am only interested to hear how people engage others when they use forums. I do really really really hope people can understand this. I don't go around saying you must spell everything correctly. Just revealing what I like and dislike. Which happens on lots of forums, does it not?

When I look at people's profiles, I also (time permitting) have a look at their websites or blogs. I'm not pretending that I spend ages looking over them, just a quick peek to look at their design and content. It's just part of my persona to be inquisitive about the world and humanity. Otherwise I feel like I'm talking to a disembodied automaton. What do you think? (Opinions on sprouts would be better served on a new and pulsating thread).

Medievalist
02-28-2007, 06:51 AM

You know I'm gonna try that bacon thing there.

Why is it that when I was at college in Derby, they'd serve gorgeous locally grown sprouts that had been boiled until they fell apart?

Old Hack
02-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Why is it that when I was at college in Derby, they'd serve gorgeous locally grown sprouts that had been boiled until they fell apart?

Good old school dinners. They toughen you up. You've got to love them.

travelgal
02-28-2007, 12:08 PM
You should cook something for your Mom involving food she dislikes and see if she eats it. I know what my Mom's reaction would be!

-Michelle

PS - Olives, mmmmmm. My cats love olives. Okay, they mostly just like licking them, but close enough...

I can't cook! :D I've only to mention kimchi, though, and she says, "All that weird Asian stuff, I heard they eat dogs over there."

"It's pickled cabbage, Mum."

dpaterso
02-28-2007, 12:11 PM
I always check user profiles before I reply to anyone for the first time, if they're not frakkin weirdos interesting people then I withhold my wit (or half of it, anyway) and move on to the next thread.

-Derek

MacAllister
02-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Old Hack, you make Brussels Sprouts sound positively yummy when you describe 'em that way.

My mother was an avid organic gardener and I spent most of one summer picking little green cabbage worms off of her sprouts plants. <shudder> Haven't been able to choke 'em down, since.

J.S Greer
02-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi travelgal
Wonderful news. Please inform the entire Internet, dictionaries and encyclopedias. Shouldn't take too long. Not sure why you are telling me when I spelt it with an upper case B in the first place. I am so glad we're not going round in circles. I would really really really hate for that to happen.

Spelt? A few pieces of spelt with some brussel sprouts would make the perfect snack!

rhymegirl
02-28-2007, 06:13 PM
I always check user profiles before I reply to anyone for the first time, if they're not frakkin weirdos interesting people then I withhold my wit (or half of it, anyway) and move on to the next thread.

-Derek

You have a verrrrrry interesting profile, Derek.

dpaterso
02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I've gotta say, my profile pic's nowhere near as interesting as yours, how long did it take to get those funky tattoos done all over your body? Occult protection spells, right?*

I was disappointed that the "favorite website" question didn't include Britney Spears so as a protest I picked Orlando Bloom. Just in case you thought I'm, you know. One of them. <shudder> An Orlando Bloom fan.

* yes, kidding. But at first glance-- Never mind. <slaps himself> Ow!

-Derek

Shadow_Ferret
02-28-2007, 10:57 PM
My mother was an avid organic gardener ....
My mom was an inorganic gardener. We had a rock garden.

Rich
02-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Old Hack, you make Brussels Sprouts sound positively yummy when you describe 'em that way.

My mother was an avid organic gardener and I spent most of one summer picking little green cabbage worms off of her sprouts plants. <shudder> Haven't been able to choke 'em down, since.

Evokes a memory, Mac. I hated cabbage as a child, but I was in one of those families where you had to eat everything on your plate. When I found a worm in my cabbage. I took the initiative. I put up such a tantrum that Freud himself would've replaced the tainted roughage with a good cigar--even at my tender age. Now, I like cabbage, in just about any recipe. Sometimes a cabbage is just a cabbage.

Old Hack
02-28-2007, 11:49 PM

1) Sprouts are delicious when cooked the Right Way (and if you serve enough roast potatoes cooked in goose fat, no-one notices anything else). Aubergines or ladies' fingers, however, are never nice.

2) Your mother should have had some chickens. They'd have eaten those little green wormy-things right off the sprouts, no problem.

3) Or she should have bought the sprouts nicely wrapped in plastic, the way I do.

calamity
03-01-2007, 01:57 AM
I'm glad you brought this up because I went and looked at my own profile and noticed that I misspelled one of my fav writer's names! eek.

I check out profiles sometimes, sure, why not?

ShapeSphere
03-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Spelt? A few pieces of spelt with some brussel sprouts would make the perfect snack!

The delicious irony. I am so glad that we are not back to square one and that you are unaware of the alternative spellings of "spelled" and "spelt".

Your supreme and astonishing sense of humour is so much higher than mine - you are currently way up in the heavens plucking the nasal hair from God’s nostrils while I sit deep below in the depths of Hell sharing a cigar with Satan. That’s how high and lofty you are. DAMN! You are just too clever and funny for everybody. If this was a movie you would be Han Solo, while I would be an Imperial Stormtrooper, who despite years of military training is killed outright by the first and improbable ricochet. If this was basketball, you would be the Harlem Globetrotters while I would be a malnourished team of pygmies who were cast out of their family huts for being a little too puny. If this was a chess game you’d have eight queens, while I would sit there with one pawn waving a white flag and crying like a little boy who’s just had his Absolute Write Moderators’ Figurine Set stolen.

Please please please keep posting these jokes. The world cries out for laughter. You are the guiding light that can save us.

;)

TracySutterer & GaryRogers
03-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm just trolling. I'll be on my way now. Bye!

Argile Stox

PeeDee
03-01-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm just trolling. I'll be on my way now. Bye!

Argile Stox

Huh? Whut?

kristie911
03-01-2007, 10:55 AM
You are the guiding light that can save us.

I know I am...I've been telling you people that all along.

rhymegirl
03-01-2007, 07:28 PM
I've gotta say, my profile pic's nowhere near as interesting as yours, how long did it take to get those funky tattoos done all over your body? Occult protection spells, right?*

-Derek

That's my writing shirt.

Sean D. Schaffer
03-01-2007, 07:57 PM

I'm going to butt in here and explain something quickly.

Spelt, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, New Edition, is defined as follows:

Chiefly British past and past participle of SPELL.

;)

Definition taken from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, New Edition, Copyright 2004 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated.

Jaycinth
03-02-2007, 05:07 AM
Since I never expected anyone to read it, every last detail of my profile is true to the last letter.

Maybe I ought to change something.

I could be President of Tortuga...

My kids like those brussel sprouts. I have no idea where they developed the taste. But occasionally the older one will buy them and steam them and they act like it's candy or something. Totally disgusting, if you ask me.

Ok. I'll leave.