Status
Not open for further replies.

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
I'm a nosy type and always look at people's profiles. I'm always curious to know more about people I meet or speak to in real life, and the same applies on this forum. The profiles are very interesting and sometimes very amusing to read. It also adds a "face" and personality to the username.

Couple of things to say. If I sound bossy and opinionated - that's because I am. :D

It's worth checking spelling and grammar. Some profiles have "I'm a an journalist/writer/whatever" or other errors. Easy to make mistakes, we all do it, and I know it's just a forum, but... it looks cooler if it's correct... what the hell... I am really bossy.

Some people have nothing in their profile. They've been posting a while, but there's zero info. It's their life and choice of course, and they probably want anonymity, and it's not for me to order them, but that just seems a shame. Feels so empty.

Do you feel the same way? Do you peek at profiles? Or am I just pissing in the wind?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I rarely do unless it's someone I'm trying to get a fix on because of their behaviour on the board.

By the way, in your profile you wrote:

If I ruled the world...:
I would ban Brussel sprouts.

"Brussel" shouldn't be capitalized.

;)

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
I rarely do unless it's someone I'm trying to get a fix on because of their behaviour on the board.

By the way, in your profile you wrote:

If I ruled the world...:
I would ban Brussel sprouts.

"Brussel" shouldn't be capitalized.

;)

It can be. There are alternative spellings.

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
This is why I never fill out profiles. Too many people wielding editorial pencils out there. Oh, you mean I DON'T rule the world? Thought I did. Oh well, guess that's why I never seem to get the bowing and adoring throngs throwing rose petals under my feet when I go to the grocery store.

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
This is why I never fill out profiles. Too many people wielding editorial pencils out there. Oh, you mean I DON'T rule the world? Thought I did. Oh well, guess that's why I never seem to get the bowing and adoring throngs throwing rose petals under my feet when I go to the grocery store.

Eh? I never noticed that.

Considering this is a writing forum, people don't bring up spelling mistakes in threads or posts. We know we're all writing fast and it's just a forum.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a nosy type and always look at people's profiles. I'm always curious to know more about people I meet or speak to in real life, and the same applies on this forum. The profiles are very interesting and sometimes very amusing to read. It also adds a "face" and personality to the username.

Do you feel the same way? Do you peek at profiles? Or am I just pissing in the wind?

I'm also nosy, SS. I check out profiles. Well, maybe curious is a better word. After all, I am a reporter.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I very rarely check out profiles unless, like eraser, I'm trying to get a fix on someone who's a bit off-kilter on the forums. Otherwise, I rarely check them out, I'm afraid. What I need to know about people, I generally get from reading their posts and listening to them talk. That's enough for me.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
Yeah, I check profiles and I get so disappointed when there's nothing there.

I once got what I thought was a very mysterious comment in a pm. After replying very cautiously, I discovered it was to do with a comment I'd made in my profile. Nah, don't bother checking it, there's nothing that exotic in there.

ETA, I've just checked my profile and there's all kinds of spelling mistakes in there. I'm not fixing them either. I'm not that bored.

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
My profile has a lovely picture and many humorous answers to the profile questionnaire. I highly recommend it. USA Today gave it 4 stars.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
My profile has a lovely picture and many humorous answers to the profile questionnaire. I highly recommend it. USA Today gave it 4 stars.

I read it. I felt it was unique and special, and it really resonated with me!!!

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I'll check sometimes. As eraser and PD said, I check to get a handle on someone's behavior. Other times, I'll check them because they've said something that impressed me.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And ShapeSphere, I have now looked at your profile.

Good advice you have in there.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You have a good selection of favorite authors, Sphere.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I very rarely check out profiles unless, like eraser, I'm trying to get a fix on someone who's a bit off-kilter on the forums.

Well PeeDee, one might maintain that just about everybody here is a bit off-kilter.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like PeeDee and eraser, I rarely read them unless I'm impressed with someone's posts (positively or negatively), or if someone sends me a PM for the first time. I usually enjoy reading them, though.

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
we're not talking about "alternative spellings" here. we're talking about grammar rules.

This thread is going in a strange direction. Shame really. It can be:

brussel spout/brussels sprout/Brussels sprout/Brussel sprout

The capitalisation comes from Brussels in Belgium. So perhaps I should edit it to Brussels sprout.

I thought we all knew that words have alternative spellings. Other websites say otherwise. This says "brussels sprouts". BBC says "Brussels sprouts". Encylopedia Britanica says "Brussels sprouts".

I might change it to Brussels as two British sources are reliable as opposed to somebody proclaiming it's a typo or grammar!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You are WRONG! and I HATE you for your opinion!

;)

But mostly, I'm just grumpy because I quite like b(B)russel sprouts, cooked properly and with some butter.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I just read the profile of everyone who posted in this thread. Take that. Nyah!

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Like PeeDee and eraser, I rarely read them unless I'm impressed with someone's posts (positively or negatively), or if someone sends me a PM for the first time. I usually enjoy reading them, though.

Yeah, what Mathter Pat~ said. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.