PDA

View Full Version : VIP, Oscar Parties, etc

thethinker42
02-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Let's say someone was a VIP and wanted to get into an exclusive, A-list party. How do they get around the velvet rope? Do they just walk past everyone and tell the bouncer who they are?

What if they were a con-artist who wasn't on the list, didn't have a recognizable name, etc? Bribe the bouncer? Pretend to get irritated with the bouncer for not knowing who they are and then threaten to make a scene?

My MC has to get into an A-list party at a club, but she's basically nobody (posing as someone who IS somebody). Clear as mud? LOL

I've never been one for clubs and parties anyway, so color me uber-clueless for the VIP scene at said clubs and parties. LOL

scarletpeaches
02-27-2007, 02:50 AM
I'd just use my boyfriend's name to get in. "Don't you know who I am? The future Mrs Phoenix, that's who!"

Wallop. In the party. Bob's your uncle, eat my goal. :D

thethinker42
02-27-2007, 02:55 AM
I'd just use my boyfriend's name to get in. "Don't you know who I am? The future Mrs Phoenix, that's who!"

Wallop. In the party. Bob's your uncle, eat my goal. :D

Right, that's what I do. But my MC is NOT dating the Beloved Mister Joaquin.

So...she needs to do it the hard way.

(I should go do karaoke tonight. My song will be "Joaquin in Memphis"...heheheh)

scarletpeaches
02-27-2007, 02:59 AM
Really? I'd do "These Boots Are Made For Joaquin". :D

Tish Davidson
02-27-2007, 03:38 AM
Have her attach herself to a larger party going in - you know, the type with a celeb, a couple of body guards, a boyfriend, a couple of girl friends, jostling photographers, etc. In the confusion,she can get swept in with them because the bouncer assumes she is part of the group.

thethinker42
02-27-2007, 04:29 AM
Really? I'd do "These Boots Are Made For Joaquin". :D

I'd go topless and do "These Boobs are Made for Joaquin"

thethinker42
02-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Have her attach herself to a larger party going in - you know, the type with a celeb, a couple of body guards, a boyfriend, a couple of girl friends, jostling photographers, etc. In the confusion,she can get swept in with them because the bouncer assumes she is part of the group.

Hmmm, that could work. Mixing with an entourage. Would she be able to do this at some of the more exclusive VIP/A-list parties?

Tish Davidson
02-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Hmmm, that could work. Mixing with an entourage. Would she be able to do this at some of the more exclusive VIP/A-list parties?

Sorry, I'm just a writer. I don't get invited to A-list parties. But I do know when I worked as a journalist, that you could often slide into places you weren't technically supposed to be by becoming part of the group that was welcome. The people that don't know you tend to assume that you're a friend/relative/work colleague of someone else in the group - kind of like crashing a wedding. It only has to seem possible to your readers. It doesn't have to work in real life.

Bravo
02-27-2007, 05:52 AM
Let's say someone was a VIP and wanted to get into an exclusive, A-list party. How do they get around the velvet rope? Do they just walk past everyone and tell the bouncer who they are?

if youre on the list, but not immediately recognizable, you give your name and one of the party planners goes thru the list, asks how many in your group and then lets you in.

that's if you're already on the list.

What if they were a con-artist who wasn't on the list, didn't have a recognizable name, etc? Bribe the bouncer? Pretend to get irritated with the bouncer for not knowing who they are and then threaten to make a scene?

bribing might work if the party was at a club or something. itll cost though.

but if it's something thats very exclusive, very A-list, then i doubt any cash would work.

throwing a scene would not work in real life. ppl do that, but it wont get them inside. usually a person would call their publicist/agent/manager and get them to sort it out.

My MC has to get into an A-list party at a club, but she's basically nobody (posing as someone who IS somebody). Clear as mud? LOL

if she's really hot and dressed right, she could pull it off and get in.

HTH

TrainofThought
02-27-2007, 06:44 AM
MC poses as a reporter from a high profile network. As long as the MC talks fast, convincing, and has inside tips regarding contacts, she shouldn’t have a problem getting in.

MattW
02-27-2007, 06:59 AM
"I'm with Rolling Stone/Cosmo/Martha Stewart Living/Playboy/Jugs."

Fake credentials might be in order if there's time to plan.

Leva
02-27-2007, 07:43 AM
If she just needs to get inside, get a job with the catering crew.

Really.

I used to work in the office for a company that provided catering staff for ritzy events -- everything from major A-list parties to private events in people's homes. They would literally hire anybody who showed up in the morning wearing the right attire (a cheap tuxedo, in this case), as long as they passed a sniff test (no really rank body odor) and were reasonably sober. Oh, and I think they needed a food handler's card.

They were NOT picky and what they hired ...

thethinker42
02-27-2007, 07:53 AM
"I'm with Rolling Stone/Cosmo/Martha Stewart Living/Playboy/Jugs."

Fake credentials might be in order if there's time to plan.

Hmmm...that's probably the way to go. I can't have her working as a caterer or anything, I just need her to get in and try to seduce someone.

Thanks for the help, everyone!!! Keep it coming!! :)

MattW
02-27-2007, 08:03 AM
If she can't get a fake pass, she might be able to pressure a security guard with the "I'm with XYZ" if someone else is causing a distraction, ranting and trying to forcefully get in. Security just wants to bounce the troublemaker, and your MC gets in.

Just a thought.

Cat Scratch
02-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Bouncers are used to jerks and idiots trying to get in, and they all use the "don't you know who I am" card. Throwing tantrums or trying to get attention won't work. If it's a high-profile party like an Oscar after-party, bribes often won't work, either.

Maybe your character can sweet-talk someone else into bringing her in. Flirting with someone who is on the edge of an entourage (not the VIP, but his personal stylist or someone, by talking shoes with him) is the best bet. A friend of mine has gotten into a lot of VIP parties by befriending entourage members, including Snoop Dog's spiritual adviser. No, seriously.