Star Trek rebooting (again?)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Probably a stupid move. Unless it works. :D But personally, I think it's getting too tired.

My son just got the complete DVD set for the Next Generation. In one of the Making of programs the producers are congratulating themselves for - get this - having the courage to cast a bald man. :rolleyes: Yes, they used the word "courage".

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The COURAGE to cast a bald man? Are they serious?

This was men talking, yes? I find bald very sexy.

ETA: On the Star Trek rebooting idea, I think it's time some creative minds went in search of something NEW to make ! I'm sick and tired of all the movies that are remakes of old stuff, and seeing yet another version of the Star Trek universe just reeks of "we can't think of anything better to do" to me.

Maybe if they waited another 20 years, then came at it completely fresh, I could see it being interesting.

Maybe.

Last edited:

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I'm afraid my son's analysis was it was a function of them being American. (But yes, they were men. And I have never yet found a woman who thought Kirk was sexier than Picard.) One of Canada's main news anchors went prematurely bald decades ago, and we never put a toupee on him. He says he knows Americans who are incredulous about that. I'm not sure how accurate an analysis that is, but it's true that we do not expect our news anchors to look like movie stars.

They were serious. But seeing as both Shatner and Raiker (sp?) were Roddenberry's idea of sexy men... I rest my case.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I don't want to cause a rumpus or anything, but I thought Bill Shatner was a damn handsome piece of manhood in his Kirk days.

-Derek

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
May I safely assume that Derek is a male? ;)

He, like Raiker, has that smarmy, self-congratulatory smile that makes me want to smack him/them. And Shatner got soft around the middle really fast. Even when I was 10 years old and prone to celebrity crushes, I couldn't - er - stomach him. But Roddenberry definitely agreed with you. I have yet to find a woman who does. Except my sister-in-law when she was 10 and Kirk hadn't yet got soft. But then, Picard hadn't come along yet either.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up on the original series and wanted to be like Kirk. Okay, so I was twelve at the time. Truth be told, I actually identified more with Scotty. Anyone who can drink an alien under the table is my kind of guy. ;)

Nonetheless:

Why Kirk is better than Picard

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
The new Star Trek movie is definitely on, release for middle 2008. Rumour has it it'll be the first mission of captain Kirk where he meets Spock. Another rumour has it that they are looking at Ben Afleck as captain kirk.

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
Prediction:
It's gonna be either really good, or suck. 'Cause with the budget they're gonna have to drop into it, "mediocre" is just another form of "suck."
But...it's got potential...if they actually write it...and if they don't go with the (highlight to read) Young Kirk 90210 Academy idea. I refuse to spend 3 hours of my life and $8.50 plus popcorn money, to watck Spock help Kirk cram for an astrophyz final. Ya know what I'm saying?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Hot female yeomans in micro dresses and shiny boots! I just don't see how this can possibly fail.

300 quatloos on the newcomer!

-Derek

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ben Affleck? Disaster. Matt Damon, maybe. I'd even buy Leonardo Di Caprio as Kirk before I'd buy Affleck. There's no way in hades Benny can pull off the Kirk swagger. The character of Kirk had arrogance born of ability and confidence. Affleck just can't bring that sort of thing off.

Maybe they should just do a remake of The Trouble with Tribbles with Robin Williams as Kirk and Jim Carrey as Spock. ;)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I grew up on the original series and wanted to be like Kirk. Okay, so I was twelve at the time. Truth be told, I actually identified more with Scotty. Anyone who can drink an alien under the table is my kind of guy. ;)

Nonetheless:

Why Kirk is better than Picard
Chunky, there is no way I am going to try to refute all 100 points. Firstly, I just don't care enough. There is no secondly.

But, just to be difficult, here's my answer to the first three. Keep in mind, this whole discussion got started because I claimed that women preferred Picard.

100. Kirk is a leader, not a follower.
Umm, one of the things I like about Picard is that he is the quintessential leader, and very masculine about it too. He's strong without being a boor, listens to others, but makes up his own mind.

99. Kirk never really got into that kinky "Jumpsuit" look.
No, he wore pyjamas. That showed off his soft tummy. Yuck.

98. Kirk has sex more than once a season.
This may come as a major shock to the male half of the population, but while this may win you bragging rights in the boys' locker room, in the girls' it goes over like a lead balloon. Not the frequency so much as the frequency in partner changes. Male sluts are not sexy in a woman's eyes. Repeat after me... (OK, there are always one or two women who provide the exception to prove the rule. But most of us are not interested in being one in a string of conquests. There are some, admittedly, who want to build their own string of conquests. They are less picky by definition.)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hell, I just thought the list was funny. :)

I think Picard is a great character, and that the Next Gen on the whole was a worthy successor to the original series.

Last edited:

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
*sigh* I did it again, didn't I?

Yes, it was a funny list. Sorry my answer came across so humourless. FWIW, this was a mock battle in my mind too. If I'd been sitting across a table from you, I'd have been grinning and teasing, but... oh well.

Sorry about that.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If they are going to "reboot," I wish that they would really reboot. Tell a new story, rather than rehashing the past. They should have learned their prequel lesson with Enterprise.

Go post-DS9/post-VOY. Make a movie about the New Frontiers crew or the SCE crew. Trek was always about the future and moving forward. I won't be plunking down my money to watch them make a $45 million backstory.