PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek rebooting (again?)

MidnightMuse
02-27-2007, 01:54 AM
First he was, then he wasn't, then he was, then he wasn't.

Apparently JJ Abrams is once again saying he's going to "reboot" the Star Trek Franchise.

Good idea, or stupid move?

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/zap-jjabramsdirectingstartrek,0,475485.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

Judg
02-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Probably a stupid move. Unless it works. :D But personally, I think it's getting too tired.

My son just got the complete DVD set for the Next Generation. In one of the Making of programs the producers are congratulating themselves for - get this - having the courage to cast a bald man. :rolleyes: Yes, they used the word "courage".

MidnightMuse
02-27-2007, 02:02 AM
The COURAGE to cast a bald man? Are they serious?

This was men talking, yes? I find bald very sexy.

ETA: On the Star Trek rebooting idea, I think it's time some creative minds went in search of something NEW to make ! I'm sick and tired of all the movies that are remakes of old stuff, and seeing yet another version of the Star Trek universe just reeks of "we can't think of anything better to do" to me.

Maybe if they waited another 20 years, then came at it completely fresh, I could see it being interesting.

Maybe.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-27-2007, 02:05 AM
"That's not a bald head; it's a solar panel for a love machine." :)

scarletpeaches
02-27-2007, 02:05 AM
Specially on Patrick Stewart. Yum.

Judg
02-27-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm afraid my son's analysis was it was a function of them being American. (But yes, they were men. And I have never yet found a woman who thought Kirk was sexier than Picard.) One of Canada's main news anchors went prematurely bald decades ago, and we never put a toupee on him. He says he knows Americans who are incredulous about that. I'm not sure how accurate an analysis that is, but it's true that we do not expect our news anchors to look like movie stars.

They were serious. But seeing as both Shatner and Raiker (sp?) were Roddenberry's idea of sexy men... I rest my case.

scarletpeaches
02-27-2007, 02:11 AM
Patrick Stewart's English.

Judg
02-27-2007, 02:14 AM
Patrick Stewart's English.
Yes, and it shows every time they have him speak French... ;)

One of the UK's finer exports.

dpaterso
02-27-2007, 02:18 AM
I don't want to cause a rumpus or anything, but I thought Bill Shatner was a damn handsome piece of manhood in his Kirk days.

-Derek

Judg
02-27-2007, 02:24 AM
May I safely assume that Derek is a male? ;)

He, like Raiker, has that smarmy, self-congratulatory smile that makes me want to smack him/them. And Shatner got soft around the middle really fast. Even when I was 10 years old and prone to celebrity crushes, I couldn't - er - stomach him. But Roddenberry definitely agreed with you. I have yet to find a woman who does. Except my sister-in-law when she was 10 and Kirk hadn't yet got soft. But then, Picard hadn't come along yet either.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-27-2007, 02:30 AM
I tried to have a crush on him. I really did. But his attitude got in the way before his gut did. ;)

ChunkyC
02-27-2007, 03:20 AM
I grew up on the original series and wanted to be like Kirk. Okay, so I was twelve at the time. Truth be told, I actually identified more with Scotty. Anyone who can drink an alien under the table is my kind of guy. ;)

Nonetheless:

Why Kirk is better than Picard (http://www.comedycorner.org/12.html)

veinglory
02-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Funny how TNG often looks more dated than the original series.

nevada
02-27-2007, 03:56 AM
The new Star Trek movie is definitely on, release for middle 2008. Rumour has it it'll be the first mission of captain Kirk where he meets Spock. Another rumour has it that they are looking at Ben Afleck as captain kirk.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-27-2007, 05:38 AM
Oh. My. Gods.

southern_cross3
02-27-2007, 07:11 AM
I enjoy watching the old Star Trek; it's classic. And that's why they should just let it rest.

ebrillblaiddes
02-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Prediction:
It's gonna be either really good, or suck. 'Cause with the budget they're gonna have to drop into it, "mediocre" is just another form of "suck."
But...it's got potential...if they actually write it...and if they don't go with the (highlight to read) Young Kirk 90210 Academy idea. I refuse to spend 3 hours of my life and $8.50 plus popcorn money, to watck Spock help Kirk cram for an astrophyz final. Ya know what I'm saying?

dpaterso
02-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Hot female yeomans in micro dresses and shiny boots! I just don't see how this can possibly fail.

300 quatloos on the newcomer!

-Derek

ChunkyC
02-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Ben Affleck? Disaster. Matt Damon, maybe. I'd even buy Leonardo Di Caprio as Kirk before I'd buy Affleck. There's no way in hades Benny can pull off the Kirk swagger. The character of Kirk had arrogance born of ability and confidence. Affleck just can't bring that sort of thing off.

Maybe they should just do a remake of The Trouble with Tribbles with Robin Williams as Kirk and Jim Carrey as Spock. ;)

MidnightMuse
02-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Maybe they should just do a remake of The Trouble with Tribbles with Robin Williams as Kirk and Jim Carrey as Spock. ;)

:ROFL:

Judg
02-27-2007, 10:36 PM
I grew up on the original series and wanted to be like Kirk. Okay, so I was twelve at the time. Truth be told, I actually identified more with Scotty. Anyone who can drink an alien under the table is my kind of guy. ;)

Nonetheless:

Why Kirk is better than Picard (http://www.comedycorner.org/12.html)
Chunky, there is no way I am going to try to refute all 100 points. Firstly, I just don't care enough. There is no secondly.

But, just to be difficult, here's my answer to the first three. Keep in mind, this whole discussion got started because I claimed that women preferred Picard.

100. Kirk is a leader, not a follower.
Umm, one of the things I like about Picard is that he is the quintessential leader, and very masculine about it too. He's strong without being a boor, listens to others, but makes up his own mind.

99. Kirk never really got into that kinky "Jumpsuit" look.
No, he wore pyjamas. That showed off his soft tummy. Yuck.

98. Kirk has sex more than once a season.
This may come as a major shock to the male half of the population, but while this may win you bragging rights in the boys' locker room, in the girls' it goes over like a lead balloon. Not the frequency so much as the frequency in partner changes. Male sluts are not sexy in a woman's eyes. Repeat after me... (OK, there are always one or two women who provide the exception to prove the rule. But most of us are not interested in being one in a string of conquests. There are some, admittedly, who want to build their own string of conquests. They are less picky by definition.)

ChunkyC
02-28-2007, 03:11 AM
Hell, I just thought the list was funny. :)

I think Picard is a great character, and that the Next Gen on the whole was a worthy successor to the original series.

Judg
02-28-2007, 03:19 AM
*sigh* I did it again, didn't I?

Yes, it was a funny list. Sorry my answer came across so humourless. FWIW, this was a mock battle in my mind too. If I'd been sitting across a table from you, I'd have been grinning and teasing, but... oh well.

Sorry about that.

ChaosTitan
02-28-2007, 03:51 AM
If they are going to "reboot," I wish that they would really reboot. Tell a new story, rather than rehashing the past. They should have learned their prequel lesson with Enterprise.

Go post-DS9/post-VOY. Make a movie about the New Frontiers crew or the SCE crew. Trek was always about the future and moving forward. I won't be plunking down my money to watch them make a $45 million backstory.

Sage
02-28-2007, 04:16 AM
Of course then there's:

Why Picard is better than Kirk (http://www.pathcom.com/~boby/picard.htm)

and my personal choice:

Why Sisko is Better than Everyone (http://www.pathcom.com/~boby/sisko.htm)

My fave is #83: Omnipotent, shmomnipotent . He punched Q instead of hiding in his ready room.

Wish they would make a DS9 movie

Vincent
02-28-2007, 04:38 AM
Well, it's going to be a prequel, because they're so popular nowdays. Tell the story of Kirk and Spock from before they were famous.

They could make it like... Saved By the Bell - Starfleet Academy.

ChaosTitan
02-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Saved By the Bell - Starfleet Academy.

:ROFL: Now that is a money I would pay money to see.

Adam Israel
03-01-2007, 05:52 AM
I'm a little disturbed by the latest rumors (http://www.trektoday.com/news/270207_01.shtml). They claim that the roles of Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and Dr. McCoy will go to Matt Damon, Adrien Brody, and Gary Sinise.

If true, I will be a very sad trekkie. I would rather see them move on to new characters than see new actors playing the original cast.

Sage
03-01-2007, 06:21 AM
If true, I will be a very sad trekkie. I would rather see them move on to new characters than see new actors playing the original cast.
If the movie is set earlier than the series, you're pretty much guaranteed to have new actors.

MidnightMuse
03-01-2007, 06:22 AM
With Bones and Scotty dead, that's a given!

Inkdaub
03-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I find bald very sexy.

Hello

Troo
03-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Why Sisko is Better than Everyone (http://www.pathcom.com/%7Eboby/sisko.htm)

My fave is #83: Omnipotent, shmomnipotent . He punched Q instead of hiding in his ready room.

Wish they would make a DS9 movie

All hail Sisko! Why on earth is DS9 so overlooked by Trekkies?

I blame Garak, personally. I'm sure he's responsible somehow... He usually is... :D

Lyra Jean
03-02-2007, 09:28 AM
With Bones and Scotty dead, that's a given!

Scotty is dead! I mean I knew Bones was but Scotty I didn't know. Man, now I'm just a little bit sadder.

PeeDee
03-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I have, somewhere in the folders of paper in my office, an autographed picture of James Doohan (Scotty) from when I met him, in the early ninties. He looked very crabby, and I wondered why. This was before I understood what 'fun' a signing line really is.

I'm okay with new actors, but new actors who are perhaps a little more unknown. Gary Sinise as Bones? He's got the eyebrow and the facial setup, but he's too old to be a "young" McCoy and everyone's just going to watch and shout "Looo-ten-ant Daaan!" every ten minutes...

The thing is, I wouldn't mind seeing Matt Damon, Adrien Brody, Gary Sinise, and all of them in a Star Trek movie. I wouldn't mind seeing Adrien Brody play a half-human half-Vulcan, because he can occasionally be a subtle enough actor that he'd really pull it off well.

I don't really wnat to see them as Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and so on. I want to see them as original characters.

Then again, it didn't exactly destroy my world when Ewan McGregor stepped up and played a younger Obi-Wan Kenobi. I thought that, considering his limitations (George Lucas) he did a very good job.

So perhaps this is more of the same.

Cassiopeia
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I say for Kirk...Mark Wallburg...McCoy Senise would be GREAT...same grumpy exterior...but Spock Definately D'Onofrio...he is excellent at that sort of thing...

dpaterso
03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
I'd cast all the geek genius kids from Malcolm In The Middle, they must be the right age for CSI: Starfleet Academy by now.

-Derek

Troo
03-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I'd cast all the geek genius kids from Malcolm In The Middle, they must be the right age for CSI: Starfleet Academy by now.

-Derek

I'd pay good money to watch this film!

MidnightMuse
03-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Scotty is dead! I mean I knew Bones was but Scotty I didn't know. Man, now I'm just a little bit sadder.

Dude died, like, a year ago. His house was for sale last Fall, not sure if anyone bought it yet. I saw the guy once at a con (many moons ago) and yeah, grumpy as all-hell. I wasn't in line to meet him or anything, just walking along, minding my own business, when suddenly I get PUSHED aside from behind - I turn around to say something rude and it was him, barging through on his way to the table to sign stuff.

Jamesaritchie
03-02-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm a little disturbed by the latest rumors (http://www.trektoday.com/news/270207_01.shtml). They claim that the roles of Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and Dr. McCoy will go to Matt Damon, Adrien Brody, and Gary Sinise.

These rumors actually make me want to see the movie. Great casting, for me. There's nothing wrong with recasting actors. It happens all the time, and often with great success.

And saying you can't do it means there will never be a Star Trek that shows the early years of Kirk and Spock.

This is the first time in years I've been excited about a new Star Trek.

Tirjasdyn
03-03-2007, 02:31 AM
All hail Sisko! Why on earth is DS9 so overlooked by Trekkies?

I blame Garak, personally. I'm sure he's responsible somehow... He usually is... :D

I love DS9... it's one of the best shows ever..

I say that as a rabid Whedon fan.

preyer
03-03-2007, 09:46 PM
the only one i'm slightly hesitant about is brody as spock. bones *never* looked young, lol. i'm not sure about the ages of the actual actors, but i'm sure they're roughly the same age as the original cast when they were doing 'trek,' so for them to be playing academy age kids is kind of funny.

oh, and ask any guy who they'd rather be, kirk or picard, and there's no debate. as far as women thinking who's sexier, that's great, but i think we all know who's going to get the nod in the end, eh? it's one thing to wax poetic, another when it comes right down to it, know what i mean? honestly, to say a man's man will lose out over an intellectual just hasn't been paying much attention, lol. then again, some will aver that brody is the sexiest man alive. please.

here's how the two captains seduce women:

picard, daintily eating a french pastry while sitting down having tea: ...and then he stabbed me in the heart!

chick-on-a-stick: really? *yawn* in your heart, huh?

picard: and another time--

coas: wow! look at the time. i better get out of here while i'm still young. well, hey, it was great meeting you. you should meet my grandmother, you guys would go on for hours.

picard: got her number?

while, on the other hand:

kirk: i'm captain james t. kirk.

coas: hey, i've heard of you!

kirk: it's all true, baby. say, i've got to beam down to a hostile world, rock it to its core, but after i'm done kicking ass, i want you to be waiting for me.

coas: teehee. okay, i'll be in the lounge.

kirk: just so happens my quarters are on the same deck.

coas: they are?

kirk: i don't know. tell you what, just skip the lounge and have some romulan ale waiting for me, will ya.

coas: teehee. okay. beats dry old french pastries and tea.

kirk: what? what the hell are you eating that crap for?

coas: trust me, it wasn't by choice. although he was charming... a bit old, though....

kirk: just be there when i get back, baby. i'm going to need a backrub after fighting some crazy reptile trying to kill me. be sure to watch it on the monitors. i'll wink at ya.

coas: teehee. okay.

kirk turns around, makes eye contact with another chick: hey, baby, my name's kirk. james t. kirk. i have to go down to the planet and kick some ass, but watch me on the monitors. i'll wink at ya....

meanwhile, picard is in his 'unready room' having discussions on why he can't get laid and riker is going crazy from the tedium.

PeeDee
03-03-2007, 10:28 PM
These rumors actually make me want to see the movie. Great casting, for me. There's nothing wrong with recasting actors. It happens all the time, and often with great success.

And saying you can't do it means there will never be a Star Trek that shows the early years of Kirk and Spock.

This is the first time in years I've been excited about a new Star Trek.

I'm excited, because I miss Star Trek. I mentioned above, I'm hesitant about the new actors, butr that's to be expected. When we say we want "new TOS Trek," what we mean is, we want more of the same. But that never works, and is never good for us.

I think I already said this, but, I was hesitant about Ewan McGregor playing Obi-Wan Kenobi, and he did a damn good job, especially with what he had to work with. So they can cast who they want, and I'll happily go see a new Star Trek film.

The two things that worry me are:

1) It's an odd-numbered movie. THere's a curse there.

2) The writing. J.J. Abrams may have done Lost and Alias, but let's not forget that he also did Mission Impossible III which was not exactly impressive. So what's going to happen with the writing of this new one? That could make or break it, and so could the directing.

Either way, problematic or not, I'm going to be in line to see it. I miss Star Trek.

Troo
03-04-2007, 12:37 AM
as far as women thinking who's sexier, that's great

Well surely, if you actually want to pick up women, that's what really counts?

PeeDee
03-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Of course not.

Silly.

It's their wonderful personality, their desire for long-term committment, and knowing how to balance a checkbook.

;)

Cassiopeia
03-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Of course not.

Silly.

It's their wonderful personality, their desire for long-term committment, and knowing how to balance a checkbook.

;)hmmm...funny...while some women may want committment there are some of us who have had our fill of committment and the rules of engagement that go along with it...Clean the house, cook the meals...stay thin while he gets chubby...*not that I mind chubby just resent the double standard* be a soccermom....do everything and then some and still be a sex kitten in the bedroom after an exhausting day at work. But for me...I think I prefer someone who is passionate about being with me and then is happy to go home.

(perhaps I am a bit jaded now days)

PeeDee
03-04-2007, 12:43 AM
I was, of course, kidding.

Cassiopeia
03-04-2007, 12:44 AM
I was, of course, kidding.I should be right :) hehe sorry PeeDee been a long four years.

PeeDee
03-04-2007, 12:45 AM
I should be right :) hehe sorry PeeDee been a long four years.

But we've only been dating for two years! Do I make time seem to drag so badly?

*runs away sobbing*

(has no idea what this conversation is about anymore, suspects it is not Trek)

Cassiopeia
03-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Hehehe...i can't stop giggling PeeDee...yeah so back to Star Trek. I have to say that the Enterprise series was pretty darn good . I liked Trip :)
But we've only been dating for two years! Do I make time seem to drag so badly?

*runs away sobbing*

(has no idea what this conversation is about anymore, suspects it is not Trek)

PeeDee
03-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Hehehe...i can't stop giggling PeeDee...yeah so back to Star Trek. I have to say that the Enterprise series was pretty darn good . I liked Trip :)

It was a good premise. Once the writing turned into "Alien X kidnaps Archer...plus...Vulcans in heat!" then it mercifully ended.

Cassiopeia
03-04-2007, 01:00 AM
It was a good premise. Once the writing turned into "Alien X kidnaps Archer...plus...Vulcans in heat!" then it mercifully ended.
Yeah and what was that thing where they took Archer to some place and were trying to influence him to change events or something. I quit watching at that point.

Judg
03-04-2007, 02:50 AM
Well surely, if you actually want to pick up women, that's what really counts?
Why no, Trudi, of course a woman's opinion of your sexiness will have no influence whatsoever on your progress with the feminine gender. Whatever gave you that strange idea? ;) What REALLY counts is if the guys think you're a hunk... *chortle*

Of course, part of Picard's attraction is that he doesn't view women as something primarily to be picked up and bedded.

Cassiopeia
03-04-2007, 03:15 AM
Why no, Trudi, of course a woman's opinion of your sexiness will have no influence whatsoever on your progress with the feminine gender. Whatever gave you that strange idea? ;) What REALLY counts is if the guys think you're a hunk... *chortle*

Of course, part of Picard's attraction is that he doesn't view women as something primarily to be picked up and bedded.Really? and here I thought it was his sexy commanding voice! OH give me a brit any day!

PeeDee
03-04-2007, 03:16 AM
It also helps that he's played by Patrick Stewart.

I mean, that really doesn't hurt matters.

Cassiopeia
03-04-2007, 03:17 AM
It also helps that he's played by Patrick Stewart.

I mean, that really doesn't hurt matters.I will watch anything with that man in it. Not only is he sexy but one of the best doggone actors.

PeeDee
03-04-2007, 03:21 AM
He played Captain Ahab in a version of Moby Dick, on the USA Network a bunch of years ago. It was very, very good.

Cassiopeia
03-04-2007, 03:26 AM
He played Captain Ahab in a version of Moby Dick, on the USA Network a bunch of years ago. It was very, very good.I wanted to see that and missed it..how do we find made for TV movies?

PeeDee
03-04-2007, 03:33 AM
I wanted to see that and missed it..how do we find made for TV movies?

You build a time machine and go back to watch it, being careful not to run into your past self lest you cause a scary time problem.

Or. Alternatively.

You could go to Amazon.com and look it up, I bet you could find it. I tried to get you a link, but Amazon won't load for me, for some reason.

Troo
03-04-2007, 06:31 PM
You could go to Amazon.com and look it up, I bet you could find it. I tried to get you a link, but Amazon won't load for me, for some reason.

Because Amazon knows you're a bad, bad person.

ChaosTitan
03-04-2007, 09:00 PM

I looooooved Trip. I got to meet Connor Trinneer at a convention last summer, and I admit that I turned into a blushing fangirl. The last time that happened was four years ago when I met James Marsters.

I'm looking forward to one of the new PocketBooks novels that deals with the horrible "series finale" that Enterprise was saddled with by TPTB. Spoilers: Because apparently Trip didn't really die. Yay!!!!

But I find that I still can't drum up any enthusiasm for a new Trek film that goes into the early days of Kirk. I guess because I was never a fan of the original series (although I did like the films, the series always felt goofy). *shrug* I'll probably rent it from Blockbuster someday in the far future.

Sage
03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
The last time that happened was four years ago when I met James Marsters.Soooooo jealous.

ChaosTitan
03-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Soooooo jealous.

He signed a wooden stake for me.... :e2brows:

My-Immortal
03-04-2007, 09:44 PM
But I find that I still can't drum up any enthusiasm for a new Trek film that goes into the early days of Kirk.

I liked the films Batman Begins and Casino Royale. Both went back to the beginnings of these characters and IMO both were done really well. Both films I felt were some of the best in both of their respective series. IF this new Trek film was done with similar skill, I think it could be very good.

Just tossing in my .02

ChaosTitan
03-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I liked the films Batman Begins and Casino Royale. Both went back to the beginnings of these characters and IMO both were done really well. Both films I felt were some of the best in both of their respective series. IF this new Trek film was done with similar skill, I think it could be very good.

Bold mine, because I agree. It could be good, but that doesn't mean I'll want to watch it. It's all a matter of taste. I enjoyed Batman Begins, because I am a fan of the character. I haven't seen Casino Royale because I've never seen a Bond film; the character just doesn't interest me.

Watching YET ANOTHER movie about Kirk just doesn't interest me the way a movie about, say, Kira Nerys and the DS9 crew might.

preyer
03-04-2007, 11:25 PM
'Why no, Trudi, of course a woman's opinion of your sexiness will have no influence whatsoever on your progress with the feminine gender. Whatever gave you that strange idea? What REALLY counts is if the guys think you're a hunk... *chortle*

'Of course, part of Picard's attraction is that he doesn't view women as something primarily to be picked up and bedded.' ~ this is what i'm saying, kirk was a go-getter, picard was a gentleman. i recognize that, everyone does. and it's that confidence and swagger that, for me, made him a great, entertaining captain. and that's why they make people captains, not because they're gentlemen, but because they get the job done, and it's a lot harder to respect someone who has to have the rest of the bridge crew in on the decision at seemingly every turn. peoples' feelings and opinions come in a distant second when tough decisions have to be made.

bottom line is that unless women change in the next five hundred years, the average woman will always be more attracted to bad boys (ala kirk... you know, the kind of personality that books are written about asking why women love bad boys) than the father-types (noting the attraction to older men many women feel while they're young). kirk represents and element of danger and raw caveman strength, picard a refined thinker. until the majority of women in real life start actually start throwing their panties at picards more than they do kirks, i don't see where i'm wrong. the characters in themselves are very different with the same goals, and niether one of them are more prone than the other to set up house over galavanting across the universe, so the idea that picard is more the marrying kind is ridiculous and any point to made about either's stability is moot.

the basic difference is between their mien, an action man vs. a thinker. anyone who claims they'd rather sit home and read poetry with their lover rather than hopping on the back seat of a harley on a saturday night, well, i'd have to say that that person certainly doesn't represent the average, eh? (is this where i'm told i'm wrong because i'm a guy? lol.)

Sage
03-04-2007, 11:45 PM
the basic difference is between their mien, an action man vs. a thinker. anyone who claims they'd rather sit home and read poetry with their lover rather than hopping on the back seat of a harley on a saturday night, well, i'd have to say that that person certainly doesn't represent the average, eh? (is this where i'm told i'm wrong because i'm a guy? lol.)
Depends on the woman. Personally, I'd jump on the back of the harley... if I know the lover driving is devoted to me. If he's a male slut, I'm preferring the night of poetry with the guy who is devoted to me.

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 12:31 AM
bottom line is that unless women change in the next five hundred years, the average woman will always be more attracted to bad boys (ala kirk... you know, the kind of personality that books are written about asking why women love bad boys) than the father-types (noting the attraction to older men many women feel while they're young). kirk represents and element of danger and raw caveman strength, picard a refined thinker. until the majority of women in real life start actually start throwing their panties at picards more than they do kirks, i don't see where i'm wrong.

This is an impressive display of stereotyping women. Good job.

You're wrong. And not because you're a guy, but because it is my opinion that you are wrong. I have never been attracted to the "bad boy." I think motorcycles are dangerous, and I'm not into thrill seeking. And I am a pretty average woman.

Maybe some women go through a "bad boy" phase, but all of the women I know want a stable guy with common sense, good personal hygiene, and no arrest record.

Cassiopeia
03-05-2007, 12:46 AM
I just love this crap about how women fall for the bad guy. HA! Do you really think we get up in the morning and think..."hmm...I think I will make myself miserable for the next (insert timeline here). Oh I know let me go find a guy who will treat me like crap." NO...we don't. That is like me saying, " Why do guys always have to pick the absolute most gorgeous woman and who will treat him like crap and use him?"

The point is people are attracted to who they are attracted to. Just because the film industry wants to portray that we always make the wrong choice doesn't make it so. And who says Kirk was the bad boy. He was the OUTGOING boy. The one who had confidence and stuck his neck out and wasn't afraid to go flirt with someone. I didn't see him using anyone in the series. His position left him unable to commit and they even spent an episode having him fall in love and get married on a planet he was stranded on.

So..let's not over generalize here. People need to pay attention to the cues they are given. I know a good deal of men...South African...who for some reason go around saying..."yeah I am a real Bastard." Now at first I thought it was some cultural thing and to some extent it was but by and large almost every guy who said that to me was! So now...when a man says that to me, I say, "thanks for the warning, I will be on my way" and I don't see them again.

If you want to go to extremes I can say that it is my experience that men like to appear to be the bad guy. It makes them feel tough and in control. Now is that fair for me to say?

So in a discussion like this I think it would be more prudent to not paint with such a wide brush.

Vincent
03-05-2007, 01:06 AM
I've known enough women who have fallen for complete and utter scumbags, time and time and time again. They promise themselves, and anyone who will listen, that they'll never be so foolish again. And, of course, they are.

Troo
03-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Nyeees. That doesn't mean all women are like that. Besides, you're an Aussie. Bad boys are all that's available down there. I mean, it was a penal colony... ;-D

Vincent
03-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Excuse me, but my ancestors were Irish political prisners. And prostitutes. And one stole a watch. Nevermind.

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 01:48 AM
Personally, I'm just glad that some women fall for slightly distracted writers who can't find their tea, make strange jokes, and read comic books.... :)

Roger McMillian
03-05-2007, 02:48 AM
You and me both, Pete.

Roger McMillian
03-05-2007, 03:21 AM
The next webisode of Star Trek: New Voyages will be available soon. "World Enough and Time", Starring George Takei,Written By Marc Zicree & Michael Reaves. Webisode 2, "To Serve All My Days" by D.C. Fontanna, Starring Walter Koenig. Future webisodes will include "Blood and Fire" by David Gerrold and best known for his role as Klingon warrior, General, and ultimately Chancellor Martok on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, veteran Trek actor John (J.G.) Hertzler returns to fill the shoes of the ever-lovable charlatan and rogue, Harcourt Fenton Mudd. Hertzler will also direct the episode, currently titled, “The Sky Above, The Mudd Below.” written by Jack Trevino and Ethan Calk.
Webisodes can be downloaded at http://www.startreknewvoyages.com

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 03:33 AM
I love that show. I'm fascinated by it. If they asked me to write for them, I'd do it in a shot.

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 06:18 AM
I like bad boys.

I like bald ones, too.

And I think Gary Sinese would be great . . . I'm just reluctant to get excited about any Star Trek remake until I see what they do with it. If Abrams can get his crap together, throw some of the tried and trues away and get bold, maybe he'll have something.

Then again, if he mucks up with tradition too much . . . Let's just say I don't envy his position, and I'll take a Wait and See approach.

(and while I love a good bad-boy - I have to say there has never - ever - been an actor in any Star Trek episode that flipped my switch).

Cassiopeia
03-05-2007, 06:52 AM
I've known enough women who have fallen for complete and utter scumbags, time and time and time again. They promise themselves, and anyone who will listen, that they'll never be so foolish again. And, of course, they are.And I know equally just as many men who make the stupid mistake of going for really mean and selfish greedy women who will take them for their money and dump them in a heartbeat.

I am waiting for my prince charming to be intelligent, honest..and to have the strength of character to take care of himself and his family...with my help of course..and..AND...I want him to be decent and honorable.

PeeDee please tell me you have a single older brother! :)

Judg
03-05-2007, 07:50 AM
I never, ever liked bad boys. Could never figure that one out. (I got severe crushes on a lot of really nice guys though.) To be quite honest, I never noticed any but exceptionally stupid women falling for bad boys. I'm quite sure my personal experiences don't sum everything up, but when I started hearing that as a stereotype, I was astonished. Mind you, I've been astonished by a large number of stereotypes, because they seemed so out of synch with anything I'd experienced.

Still, and all, I've been doing an informal survey off and on for a number of years with women on the whole Kirk/Picard thing, and I still haven't found a woman who will admit to preferring Kirk. I'm sure I will someday. There always has to be an exception...

Maybe if so many men are convinced that Kirk is sexier, that explains why some guys will sometimes do such incredibly stupid things to impress girls. They haven't twigged to what does impress a girl.

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Still, and all, I've been doing an informal survey off and on for a number of years with women on the whole Kirk/Picard thing, and I still haven't found a woman who will admit to preferring Kirk.

If anyone ever asked me who I preferred, I'd tell 'em Captain Archer. :D Give me Scott Bakula any day.

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 08:16 AM
On the "who's the hottest captain" list, somehow Janeway never makes it on... :)

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Uh...cuz she's in a class by herself?

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 08:21 AM
No, that's Jeri Ryan. Janeway was the other one.

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Janeway was the one who could act....

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 08:45 AM
*sigh* Now you're back to Patrick Stewart again!

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 08:51 AM
So you're admitting that Shatner can't act?

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Not to the level of Patrick Stewart, but he's a delight to watch anyway. Mostly, though, he's made a career out of being William Shatner (although he's doing a fun job being Denny Crane on Boston Legal.)

Mostly, I was having a go at Voyager. Which, really, I didn't mind all that much. It had some fun ideas. It had some fun species. The later the show ran, the more enjoyable it got to watch.

I'm trying to remember the name of the alien race of hunters they introduced. The really tall ones with BIG guns. They had a two-part episode with them where the trapped the crew on the holodeck in a World War II simulation.

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Shatner can....certainly...act.

:)

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Shatner can....certainly...act.

There's...some...THING....onthewingofthisplane.... !

Vincent
03-05-2007, 08:57 AM
So you're admitting that Shatner can't act?

As long as he can sing.

Oh, and he can act, NOW. Denny Crane.

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Denny Crane

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 09:02 AM
*listens to the echo*

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Denny Crane

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Denny Crane

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Denny Crane

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Denny Crane

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Denny Crane

(this is a tricky cave)

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Denny Crane

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 09:10 AM
:e2cry:

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Hmmm....what if Shatner played Capt Kirk like he plays Denny Crane....

<thinking....>

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 09:15 AM

<thinking....>

THAT would have been fun. The interaction between him, Spock, and McCoy would have been wildly different

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Denny Crane

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Denny Crane Denny Crane Denny Crane Denny Crane Denny Crane Denny Crane Denny Crane Denny Crane Denny Crane Denny Crane Denny Crane Denny Crane

Pthom
03-05-2007, 12:46 PM

(ahem)

And now that's out of our systems, we move on.
Don't we?

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Captain Kirk......?

Okay...serious now.

Others here know the Star Trek world WAYYYYYY more than I do, so let me ask--is there something about the early years of Capt Kirk that is 'unknown'? Something that could add another layer of depth or meaning to the character? Something that casual viewers of Star Trek would enjoy that die-hard fans wouldn't cringe about?

Just curious...(and trying to bring the post(s) back toward the thread topic!)

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I have no idea if there is or not. Are we going to get a movie around him beating the Kobyashi Maru?

I don't know. I presume it's going to be an 'early mission' of the Enterprise, maybe the first mission.

But the thing is, I do believe the Star Trek universe has gotten stronger and better the further on we've gotten. Enterprise tried to bring the tone and feel of the later series into the world of pre-TOS, and it mostly didn't jive. I mean, they even changed their Klingons.

The Next Generation was good, but the movies were better (at least, mostly, in terms of the world and universe). Deep Space 9 early seasons were good, but once the Jem'Hadar came through the wormhole, all bets were off and it was damn good.

I have no idea what the appeal is if a Trek prequel.

But that said, I really loathed the idea of Batman Begins because it was a prequel and it had this Christian Bale guy as Batman. Now, I consider it the quintessential Batman movie.

Things like this can either be done so well, you don't know how you managed before, or they're done so poorly, you despise them intruding in your loved series.

Star Trek is harder than Batman. Christian Bale had to do better than Val Kilmer and George Clooney. Sorry, but....not hard, Batman-wise.

With Star Trek, they have to do better than the original series, 6 movies (most of them quite good, if a bit silly) and 40 years of nostalgia, and as we've seen with Star Wars, that's a very hard thing to beat. And it's unnecessary to beat.

There are a lot of ways to make a new Star Trek movie that don't have the word 'prequel' in it. We could do another TNG movie, we could do another DS9 movie, we could do a completely original-crew movie (when they do original crew video games, like Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, the result is quite strong. Why not do that?)

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Enterprise tried to bring the tone and feel of the later series into the world of pre-TOS, and it mostly didn't jive. I mean, they even changed their Klingons.

They didn't change the Klingons. They explained why the Klingons featured in Kirk's time looked weird. :tongue

There are a lot of ways to make a new Star Trek movie that don't have the word 'prequel' in it. We could do another TNG movie, we could do another DS9 movie, we could do a completely original-crew movie (when they do original crew video games, like Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, the result is quite strong. Why not do that?)

I would go see any of these things. Almost. I hated Nemesis, so another TNG movie would be a video rental for me.

The appeal of a prequel is to understand why something came to pass, how a character turned out the way that they did. The Kobayashi Maru was handled perfectly in Wrath of Khan, so why mess with it again? We know Spock and Sarek had a rough relationship. Why retread that? We know so much about the backstories of Kirk and Spock that it would be like watching a two hour rerun. For me.

Another recent prequel that worked (for me, anyway) was the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Sure, we know that Thomas Hewitt became a psychopathic murderer/fillet master. But the fun of that movie was seeing how it started. Who was his first victim? How did Holtz become the sheriff? How'd he loose his front teeth? How did Uncle Monty loose his legs? It was entertaining, in a gory kind of way, but it worked.

Batman Begins, likewise, worked because over the years Batman has had a few different origin stories. They all feature young Bruce witnessing the murder of his parents, but his journey from that moment to the various incarnation of Batman that has appeared in comics for sixty years, is often not specified.

Burton touched on it in Batman, making the Joker responsible. Nolan touched on it, making thugs responsible. There is room for interpretation, because there is no singular origin that all fans scream for as being The One.

If someone tried to do that with Trek (say, make Kirk from Michigan, instead of Iowa), fans would throw tomatoes at the director. They'd be furious. We all saw what happened with small inconsistencies in Enterprise. There isn't the same wiggle room for a Trek prequel that exists in other franchises.

If Abrams, et al, can pull it off successfully, my hat is off to them. If not...well, I'll be silently thinking "I told you so...."

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Trek fans are damn unforgiving. I remember a long time ago when I wrote Star Trek fanfiction, I got an angry letter from some kid because my ship's designation number (you know, NCC-1799, whatever number you put there) was clearly wrong based on my time period, ship class, and model and furthermore, according to the updated edition of the Star Trek technical manual........

I remember reading it and thinking "Geeze, kid, get a life," and then I didn't change it.

I remember their explanation from Enterprise, and it was very dodgy. Honestly, they shouldn't have explained it, they should have just let it be. It was funny that we knew the difference, Worf's "WE do not talk about it with outsiders," line in that wonderful DS9 episode (Trials and Tribble-ations) was funny, and we should have left it at that. We all know ti was just a makeup change. That's enough.

See, I enjoyed Nemesis, even if I'm the only one, for the same reasons that I enjoy The Undiscovered Country. It dealt with ending, with age, with death, and with Star Trek movies, that fascinates me. Off and on, I think Undiscovered Country is still my favorite movie, but Nemesis ranks on my list too. But it's probably just me...

The annoying thing about this thread is, while I'm reading and writing it, I'm coming up with ideas for a Star Trek movie. I could write 'em a stand-alone script now, in the off chance that Paramount says "Hey, what we need is that Pete guy"

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
I have no idea what the appeal is if a Trek prequel.

But that said, I really loathed the idea of Batman Begins because it was a prequel and it had this Christian Bale guy as Batman. Now, I consider it the quintessential Batman movie.

Things like this can either be done so well, you don't know how you managed before, or they're done so poorly, you despise them intruding in your loved series.

Star Trek is harder than Batman. Christian Bale had to do better than Val Kilmer and George Clooney. Sorry, but....not hard, Batman-wise.

How about Daniel Craig having to step in as James Bond in Casino Royale?
THAT was not an easy task Bond-wise. Brosnan was a popular Bond and Connery is and always will be the 'original' Bond but (IMO) I think Craig did a great job with the role and I really loved the movie. That was 40+ years and 20 movies he had to work with/against.

With this example in mind, I think it is 'possible' to have a great prequel movie - I simply don't know enough about Star Trek specifically to speculate what that prequel might be.

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Sure, it's possible. That's why I mentioned Batman Begins, a great example of a great prequel.

I'm just saying that on the one hand, you have Batman. On the other hand, you have three Star Wars movies.... It could go either way.

You know, I didn't get all the fuss over Daniel Craig becoming the next Bond. I think we've culturally got a really short memory. I mean, it's not like it went Sean Connory - Pierce Brosnan - Daniel Craig. There were a lot of other Bond actors in there, sometimes just for one movie at a time. They may not have all been hugely memorable (I mean, Timothy Dalton? Seriously?) but they were there, and it changed all the time. So when everyone went "they can't POSSIBLY change Pierce Brosnan," I didn't get it.

Although I quite like Brosnan. I thought he just looked like James Bond.

(but I'm getting off the point here.)

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Although I quite like Brosnan. I thought he just looked like James Bond.

(but I'm getting off the point here.)

I'll bring it back using your example...

Do you think in recasting Kirk and the other characters they should attempt to find actors/actresses that looked like the original actors/actresses?

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 08:22 PM
I think if they're going to REimagine it, then reimagine it. Don't try to replace or clone or copy - if they do that, and find actors who look like the originals, the comparisons will be brutal.

I just wish they would play with OTHER characters. Get creative, show us something completely different.

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 08:26 PM
I'll bring it back using your example...

Do you think in recasting Kirk and the other characters they should attempt to find actors/actresses that looked like the original actors/actresses?

I think a strong resemblance is necessary to help suspend disbelief. Think of films that have flashback sequences. If they don't take the time to cast a younger actor who resembles the older self, I won't buy it. The opening sequence of the film "Space Cowboys" is a good example (even if they kinda cheated by having the older actors voice-over the dialogue). But the younger actors are spot-on for their older counterparts.

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I just wish they would play with OTHER characters. Get creative, show us something completely different.

Ditto.

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I think if they're going to REimagine it, then reimagine it. Don't try to replace or clone or copy - if they do that, and find actors who look like the originals, the comparisons will be brutal.

Again, my knowledge of Star Trek is admittedly limited....but I'm assuming that Capt Kirk and crew wasn't the ONLY ones out searching through space...right? Couldn't they tell the story of another captain and crew during a similar time frame? Perhaps with different aliens? Perhaps with a story line that would put a twist on the 'known' aliens etc...? Kinda like....ummm...okay to use a Bond movie analogy (since I know Bond movies a little better)....what if they made an action-packed Felix Leiter spy movie and Bond made an appearance but wasn't the 'main' character.

Just tossing out some ideas...

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 08:32 PM

<thinking....>
I wish there was a way to get him into it. I was thinking about an old retired Kirk telling a younger person about the good old days, and for a moment I forgot about him getting croaked in Generations.

Ah well. ;)

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 08:33 PM
I don't know. I presume it's going to be an 'early mission' of the Enterprise, maybe the first mission.

This just occurred to me, but wasn't the first mission led by Christopher Pike? Why don't they do Pike? You can still have Spock, because they served together. Tell us more about a character we don't already know!

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 08:43 PM
This just occurred to me, but wasn't the first mission led by Christopher Pike? Why don't they do Pike? You can still have Spock, because they served together. Tell us more about a character we don't already know!

(*sigh.*I knew my nerdiness was going to come out.....)

Technically, Captain Kirk was the third Captain of the Starship Enterprise. The first was Captain April, whom we never saw. The second was Christopher Pike. Then Captain Kirk.

And yes, there were other ships at the same time exploring. There were, for example, eleven other Constitution-class starships just like the Enterprise.

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 08:47 PM
(*sigh.*I knew my nerdiness was going to come out.....)

Technically, Captain Kirk was the third Captain of the Starship Enterprise. The first was Captain April, whom we never saw. The second was Christopher Pike. Then Captain Kirk.

And yes, there were other ships at the same time exploring. There were, for example, eleven other Constitution-class starships just like the Enterprise.

Wow...you just exploded with nerdness on that post, didn't ya? ;)

Eleven other Constitution-class starships just like the Enterprise....well, there you go. That's a whole lot of other material for making movies (or-Pete-were the other eleven Captains not as interesting?)

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, I believe they mostly just got shot at a lot. The original Enterprise shot at a bunch of them when it was being controlled by that computer (was it the M-5? I can't remember anymore.)

They probably weren't that interesting, though. I mean, short of the Enterprise and DS9 and Voyager, there are no other competent ships in the Starfleet and if there are, they are NEVER in any sector when anything's happening.

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Exactly my point - there were other starships, other captains, other people. I'd like to see this new venture be IN the Star Trek universe, but with something completely different.

A ship OTHER than the Enterprise. A Captain other than Kirk, etc.

Boldly go in the OPPOSITE direction, for once.

dpaterso
03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
If the people in charge of this damn project had any sense, they'd run an open contest: the 10 writers who submit the best 2,000-word story outlines get offered a chance to submit their spec script for consideration.

Then we'd see who has the best double ax-hand moves.

-Derek

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
They probably weren't that interesting, though. I mean, short of the Enterprise and DS9 and Voyager, there are no other competent ships in the Starfleet and if there are, they are NEVER in any sector when anything's happening.

That's probably what the other Starfleet captains thought about Kirk when they were in trouble! He was never around when they were in trouble...he was too busy beaming down onto some planet hitting on the female aliens to help them....

dpaterso
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Hmph, short memories. Commodore Decker aboard USS Constellation reached the doomsday machine before Kirk did.

-Derek

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
And why does it have to be the humans? Why not the story of Surak and the Great Awakening on Vulcan? Yeah, I know, try getting $100 million from Paramount to film that story. ;)

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Hmph, short memories. Commodore Decker aboard USS Constellation reached the doomsday machine before Kirk did.

-Derek

And look how well that went for him.

I mean, the only other sane and competent officer they ever showed was the man in charge of Space Station K-9, and he still had to deal with Tribbles and Glenn Cambell as a Klingon.

(I'm getting really nerdy now......ye gads...)

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 09:00 PM
White and nerdy.

We only saw Kirk coming to the rescue because he was getting all the press. What if we saw one of the other captain's views of Kirk during these situations? A view of Kirk, Spock, Bones, et al from another perspective?

Or for crap's sake, just something OTHER than the Enterprise?

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:01 PM
(I'm getting really nerdy now......ye gads...)

People are going to start pointing and snickering soon...

;)

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:03 PM
White and nerdy.

We only saw Kirk coming to the rescue because he was getting all the press. What if we saw one of the other captain's views of Kirk during these situations? A view of Kirk, Spock, Bones, et al from another perspective?

Or for crap's sake, just something OTHER than the Enterprise?

I think that would be cool - especially if from another perspective some of the 'heroic' deeds might have been less than heroic. (Not enough to 'ruin' the characters, but just something to show another side)...kinda like the movie Crash. You see the characters and get a first impression, but as the movie plays out and you see the other side of their action(s) you get another impression....

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
I just want something with none of these:

phasers / phase pistols
deflectors / hull plating
transporters

Each of these force the writers into the same old cliched Trek-isms which crippled Enterprise right from the beginning.

(Malcolm/Scotty/LaForge) "Hull-plating /deflectors down to fifteen percent. We can't take another hit, Captain!"

(Kirk/Picard/Janeway/Sisko/Archer) "Everyone get ready to fling yourself over the railing!"

*SNORE*

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:07 PM
[quote=ChunkyC;1171445]
"Hull-plating /deflectors down to fifty percent. We can't take another hit, Captain!"[quote]

Unless after someone said that, they did get hit and it didn't 'kill' them....the captain could then turn and give the speaker a 'look'...

Wait, that would be more like Firefly/Serenity wouldn't it?

(Part of the ship breaks off)

"What was that?"

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
I(Malcolm/Scotty/LaForge) "Hull-plating /deflectors down to fifteen percent. We can't take another hit, Captain!"

(Kirk/Picard/Janeway/Sisko/Archer) "Everyone get ready to fling yourself over the railing!"
*SNORE*

:roll:

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 09:09 PM

"What was that?"
I love that kind of stuff. Give me Galaxy Quest and the kid scraping the side of space dock any day.

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 09:09 PM

"What was that?"

Ooooh, make Mal Reynolds captain of the Enterprise-Z! The Alpha Quadrant will never be the same. :D

Edit: Or better yet, cast Nathan Fillion as the young Kirk! Talk about a personality infusion....

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 09:11 PM
I love that kind of stuff. Give me Galaxy Quest and the kid scraping the side of space dock any day.

You know what's odd is, Galaxy Quest made me nostalgic for a series and a type of sci-fi adventure that didn't exist. Galaxy Quest is a magnificant movie, and I adore it.

MidnightMuse
I'd like to see a little less pristine-ness. Maybe have that lovely viewscreen need rebooting, see a little Windows logo across the bottom. Get one of those elevators stuck between floors.

I'd pay money to see a Captain walking down the corridor with toilet paper on his shoe, and no one brave enough to clue him in.

ChunkyC
Me too, PeeDee. I watch it often.

My-Immortal
Ooooh, make Mal Reynolds captain of the Enterprise-Z! The Alpha Quadrant will never be the same. :D

Edit: Or better yet, cast Nathan Fillion as the young Kirk! Talk about a personality infusion....

LOL!

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Muse, if we could come up with the money, I'd so make that movie with you.

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 09:13 PM
I'd like to see a little less pristine-ness. Maybe have that lovely viewscreen need rebooting, see a little Windows logo across the bottom. Get one of those elevators stuck between floors.

I'd pay money to see a Captain walking down the corridor with toilet paper on his shoe, and no one brave enough to clue him in.
Like this?
http://star-trek-tng.de/images/s492_480.jpg
Credit where credit's due ... found this cartoon on this site (http://star-trek-tng.de/lachen/sevtrek/index.php).

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Makes you wonder why the Firefly/Serenity didn't do as well as Star Trek since that kind of humor was present. Nathan Fillion's Capt Reynolds was an awesome character (as was the other characters).

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 09:16 PM

That was one of the fun elements of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, you know, before the whole movie got really weird. The ship didn't quite work.

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:17 PM
This thread is starting to make me feel like I should go watch all the movies now....

dpaterso
03-05-2007, 09:18 PM
And look how well that went for him.
You can't fault the man for trying to stop a deadly alien menace to Civilization. Decker put his crew down on the planet because he was gonna go in alone against all odds like a true gung-ho hero. Right after his ship took damage the damn alien machine took a sharp right and ate the planet! Who'da thunk? Hell of a story...

Before then? Who knows what great adventures the crew of the Constellation had. Which of course is what we're talkin' about, which Trek scenario and characters might make a good film. Well heck, all of them, except whichever ones the powers-that-be choose!

-Derek

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 09:18 PM
It's damn well making me want to go write some good Star Trek fiction, which does me no good, since I'm hardly writing fanfiction anymore. Hmpf.

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 09:22 PM
I keep seeing this scene in my head: Mal, Jayne and Kaylee watching reruns of Next Generation and laughing their asses off over the clean tech and the aliens.

Jayne - They really thought the future would be that good? Buncha dumb asses.

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I keep seeing this scene in my head: Mal, Jayne and Kaylee watching reruns of Next Generation and laughing their asses off over the clean tech and the aliens.

Jayne - They really thought the future would be that good? Buncha dumb asses.

I don't think Kaylee would laugh so much as think it was 'sweet'....
...and of course comment about how such and such engine wouldn't have worked and how the ride on one of those ships would have been bumpy....

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 09:24 PM
You can't fault the man for trying to stop a deadly alien menace to Civilization. Decker put his crew down on the planet because he was gonna go in alone against all odds like a true gung-ho hero. Right after his ship took damage the damn alien machine took a sharp right and ate the planet! Who'da thunk? Hell of a story...

Before then? Who knows what great adventures the crew of the Constellation had. Which of course is what we're talkin' about, which Trek scenario and characters might make a good film. Well heck, all of them, except whichever ones the powers-that-be choose!

-Derek

You can be sure that if TPTB chose to do Decker's story, they would turn it into a strange angsty, pseudo-Star Wars movie about love and how Decker identifies with the Doomsday machine.

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Muse, if we could come up with the money, I'd so make that movie with you.

While we're at it, we have to make sure when two ships meet up in space, they're not "both right side up." What do they do, send out a memo as to their orientation in X Y Z space?

And I would love to see the Captain Decker viewpoint. For once, have the heroic stars of the movie, pull off what should have been a heroic, sacrificial move, only to have it end in tragedy all around.

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 09:34 PM
And I would love to see the Captain Decker viewpoint. For once, have the heroic stars of the movie, pull off what should have been a heroic, sacrificial move, only to have it end in tragedy all around.

I'd love to see that too, but we'd just get more bitching Star Trek fans...

So to be clear, we want a Star Trek movie that's less 'star trek' and more 'Serenity' and 'Babylon 5'.

Got it. :D

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:35 PM
[quote=MidnightMuse;1171535]While we're at it, we have to make sure when two ships meet up in space, they're not "both right side up." What do they do, send out a memo as to their orientation in X Y Z space?/quote]

Captain: Geez, who's flying that ship over there? Why is it that every, single, time we meet up with these bozos they have their ship upside down....

Pilot: Uhhh...captain....

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:36 PM

So to be clear, we want a Star Trek movie that's less 'star trek' and more 'Serenity' and 'Babylon 5'.

Actually, I'd be happy with a Serenity movie that was more Serenity....

But that's another thread...

My-Immortal
03-05-2007, 09:43 PM

So, who has 'bitchier' fans? Star Trek or Star Wars? :)

Or is that another thread too?

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 09:52 PM
So, who has 'bitchier' fans? Star Trek or Star Wars? :)

Or is that another thread too?

They all need to get a life, mostly... :)

ALthough I'm not one to talk, considering what I just wasted my time making...

(deleted, because it sucked.)

(I used to be really good at that, but now....not so much. Ouch.)

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 09:56 PM
How'd you get so white and nerdy?

ETA: Shouldn't he be in blue?

Gads, how'd I get so white and nerdy?

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 10:09 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/peedee1284/StarTrek-Sinise.jpg

HERE we go. My skillz are INTACT.

(And obviously, it's the movie uniform, although you'll still notice that it's a medical uniform, so Nyah.)

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
You win.

:D

Vincent
03-05-2007, 10:25 PM
So, I have a question. Will the women be keeping the 60's hairstyles?

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 10:25 PM
I hope for at least the mini-skirts.

(what?)

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 10:36 PM
While we're at it, we have to make sure when two ships meet up in space, they're not "both right side up." What do they do, send out a memo as to their orientation in X Y Z space?
Auto-orientation in the nav system? ;)

There are so many things like that that are done by people who really don't think things through. Mind you, sometimes it's to make the action more accessible for an audience that doesn't really understand all the techy stuff but really digs the stories and the characters. Things like drive engines that are on even though the ship is supposedly cruising along at a constant speed. In a vacuum, engines on = acceleration, but the average TV viewer wouldn't have a clue. Their frame of reference is on Earth where atmospheric/road friction and gravity require vehicles to be under constant power lest they decelerate or fall out of the sky. To the average TV viewer, Inertia probably sounds like a European girl's name.

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Babylon 5 got the space physics aspects of it all exactly right, but still managed to do an incredible story and characters outside of it. Honestly, I thought the realistic physics made it stronger.

But that said, there were always all sorts of weird problems in Star Trek, and mostly, you have to just glaze over them.

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 10:39 PM
That's why Firefly was so great (among many other reasons) Joss at least TRIED to incorporate some laws of physics.

If this new one comes down to a choice between micro-mini skirts on the women or another Boobs-of-Nine, I'd rather see the micro-minis. If one more phaser hits B-of-N in the B's, I'm gonna scream.

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Babylon 5 got the space physics aspects of it all exactly right, but still managed to do an incredible story and characters outside of it. Honestly, I thought the realistic physics made it stronger.
I agree wholeheartedly. I was trying to put myself in the place of the people making these shows and the kind of thinking that may go into the decision to have ships always oriented one way, etc. etc. Sometimes I think it's because they don't even think about the possibility there might be another way, they just go with what feels natural. Which, of course, is based on Earthbound experience. Having Harlan Ellison as creative consultant on B5 is probably one of the smartest things they did on that show.

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Bab 5 did try, and did well, but they succumbed to sound in space, didn't they?

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 10:45 PM
If one more phaser hits B-of-N in the B's, I'm gonna scream.
:roll: Yeah, why didn't they ever shoot her in the butt?

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 10:49 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. I was trying to put myself in the place of the people making these shows and the kind of thinking that may go into the decision to have ships always oriented one way, etc. etc.

Yeah, I know, I was just musing. :)

Honestly, the lot of us should just get together and write the next Star Trek series. Hmpf.

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Bab 5 did try, and did well, but they succumbed to sound in space, didn't they?

Yeah, but that's okay. I can live with that. ANd besides, if we hadn't had sound in space, we wouldn't have heard that great scream the Shadow ships made as they went by.

(Well, I suppose we would, I think that sound was telepathic.)

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 10:52 PM
To get back to Star Trek, we can lay the blame for sound in space squarely on their door, specifically the whoosh the Enterprise made as it went by in the opening credits of each episode.

Damn, I love that show. :)

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Agreed. I always dug the heavy rumble the Enterprise made as it went by the screen.

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
And silent phaser shots from the Enterprise would have far less dramatic impact. Such things we can make allowances for. I put them in the same category as orchestration. We all know there's no symphony seated on the hull of the Enterprise sawing away on their violins and honking on their french horns, but the music is absolutely vital and we accept it as part of the presentation of the story.

Same thing for other sound effects ... so long as they don't get out of hand. One that always drives me nuts in TV shows is car tires screeching when they're on a gravel road. That one is just BAD.

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 11:04 PM
And silent phaser shots from the Enterprise would have far less dramatic impact. Such things we can make allowances for. I put them in the same category as orchestration. We all know there's no symphony seated on the hull of the Enterprise sawing away on their violins and honking on their french horns, but the music is absolutely vital and we accept it as part of the presentation of the story.

Greatest. Image. Ever. :D

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 11:10 PM
:D I'd love to see that in an Airplane-style Trek spoof. We may have to write two scripts here....

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 11:13 PM
:D I'd love to see that in an Airplane-style Trek spoof. We may have to write two scripts here....

You'd have the opening style sequence from TNG, except when the ship at the end sails away from you (the shot where you can see the back of the bridge, with the little dude walking around, just before it goes to warp) you'd see the full orchestra on the back of the ship, playing along.

And they would probably get blasted off when the ship went into warp.

And they would go outside without spacesuits, every time. :)

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 11:15 PM
:roll: nice touch! I'm seeing instruments like kettle drums bouncing around and the poor gal hanging onto her harp as it spins away into the void.... :roll:

dpaterso
03-05-2007, 11:18 PM
It's damn well making me want to go write some good Star Trek fiction, which does me no good, since I'm hardly writing fanfiction anymore. Hmpf.
Must. Fight. Temptation. You. Damned. Klingon!

You can be sure that if TPTB chose to do Decker's story, they would turn it into a strange angsty, pseudo-Star Wars movie about love and how Decker identifies with the Doomsday machine.
Yeah, one of weird those "This Crystalline Entity may be intelligent, we must learn to somehow communicate with it" things. Uh, exqueeze me, Cap'n, it destroys planets and has killed billions of people! Yes, perhaps, but... don't you think there's a strange and perfect beauty in its phallic design?

-Derek

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Just make sure we can see the strings holding the ship up.

And Made In China printed on the hull somewhere.

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Opening scene... a wine bottle tumbles end over end against a backdrop of stars. As the music rises to a crescendo, the bottle strikes a hard surface next to what appears to be feet in dress shoes, and shatters. The camera pulls back to reveal the hull of a spaceship with a full symphony orchestra seated on it (upside down, of course), playing the theme music we hear.....

...you writing the script already, Pete?

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Opening scene... a wine bottle tumbles end over end against a backdrop of stars. As the music rises to a crescendo, the bottle strikes a hard surface next to what appears to be feet in dress shoes, and shatters. The camera pulls back to reveal the hull of a spaceship with a full symphony orchestra seated on it (upside down, of course), playing the theme music we hear.....

...you writing the script already, Pete?

Call Abrams, tell him to hold the phone! We've got a script!

And of course we'll have:

PICARD: We have to destroy the ship before the Borg take it heeyah!
DATA: You just made "here" into two syllables.
PICARD: I HATE THEM SO MUCH.
WORF: Surely you cannot be serious, sir!
PICARD: Of COURSE I'm serious! And don't call me Shirley!

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Don't forget to put Denny Crane in a back room, with a blow up doll of Shirley.

*I did not just say that*

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 11:44 PM
LOL!

We should have Walter Koenig dressed as Bester from B5 come in and sit in the Captain's chair at least half a dozen times, and get told to get out of it by Bruce Boxleitner, who is a different bridge crewman every time.

MidnightMuse
03-05-2007, 11:45 PM
At least once, have Uhura get her skirt tucked into her panty hose on the way out of the bathroom.

Which has to back up at least once.

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 11:47 PM

PeeDee
03-05-2007, 11:52 PM
ADMIRAL: But the probe is going to destroy Earth!
CADET: We need someone to save us!
ADMIRAL: What ships are in the area?
CADET: ONly one sir. The Battlestar Galactica!
ADMIRAL: Um......what....?
CADET: Oh. Sorry sir, had the wrong window open. It's the Enterprise, sir.

ADMIRAL: Oh Gods-I-Don't-Believe-In, not them.
CADET: Yessir.
ADMIRAL: All right, open a channel.

KIRK: This IS...the EnterpriseAdmiral.
ADMIRAL: Capital. LIsten, we're under attack.
KIRK: Is it those....KLINGON BASTARDS!?
ADMIRAL: No.
KIRK: They killed my son.
ADMIRAL: I remember.
KIRK: Klingon Bastards....
ADMIRAL: Kirk! LISTEN! It's someone else you've faced!
KIRK: You dont' mean....you CAN'T mean....
ADMIRAL: Oh, here we go...
KIRK: KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNN
ADMIRAL: No!
KIRK: Oh. Then is it El-Aurian dude who keeps trying to get himself Nexused?
ADMIRAL: You know what? The probe's not so bad. Go to Endor and pick up some women, Kirk.
KIRK: Right!

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 11:57 PM
ADMIRAL: What ships are in the area?
CADET: ONly one sir. The Battlestar Galactica!
:roll: *gasp wheeze--Chunky runs outside to the loading bay so he can laugh his balls off without the boss hearing him*

MidnightMuse
03-06-2007, 12:00 AM
In space, no one can hear your balls come off.

Or something.

ChunkyC
03-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Hey, there's the catch-phrase for the trailer:

"In space, no-one can hear you laugh your balls off!"

PeeDee
03-06-2007, 12:04 AM
DATA: Distress signal coming from the Romulan border.
PICARD: THis is a distressing situation and we shall have to mediate a dispute quietly, while I recite the Gilgamesh.
DATA: ...
PICARD: Play the message, android.

RIKER: What...ARE....they SAYING?

DATA: I believe I can communicate with them. I am fluent in over six million forms of communication.

PICARD: Go ahead.

DATA: Do do do doodoo?
DATA: Do do do doodoo.
DATA: Doo doo doo. Doo doo doo. Dee dee dump dump dump.
DATA: ...

PICARD: Fascinating.

MidnightMuse
03-06-2007, 12:07 AM
I'd also like to see all those photon torpedos that "missed" finally hit something - since they're still in motion somewhere.

And can we have a balcony out back, where Kirk and Spock go to enjoy a cigar and glass of whiskey after the episodes?

ChunkyC
03-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Captain's Log, Stardate 222.22.2 ... I've decided ... to take the Enterprise back to ... the year two thousand ... and seven. We don't want to draw attention to ourselves, so we will beam down ... to a remote place ... Spock has found one that is sparsely inhabited ... it should be perfect....

In the next scene, the landing party beams down in the middle of the cast and crew of SURVIVOR: COOK ISLANDS

Troo
03-06-2007, 12:40 AM
I'd also like to see all those photon torpedos that "missed" finally hit something - since they're still in motion somewhere.

Going to get all geek here for a moment and bite the heads off small animals... No, wait, I mean talk about minor details from Star Trek.

Like all good military weapons, photon torpedoes that go beyond operational range self-destruct to prevent them from wandering on forever until they hit something. I belive it was discussed in DS9 at one point. That's how much better than other Treks DS9 was! :tongue

PeeDee
03-06-2007, 12:51 AM
I remember that, on DS9. I'm so sad. :)

Roger McMillian
03-06-2007, 12:59 AM

<thinking....>

You mean other than the 'gotta screw every female guest star that comes on the show' shtick.

MidnightMuse
03-06-2007, 01:00 AM
<--- proud member of the never-watched-DS9-even-once club.

PeeDee
03-06-2007, 01:40 AM
<--- proud member of the never-watched-DS9-even-once club.

Who brags about that kind of thing? Honestly? It's like saying "proud member of the projectile vomit club."

Hmpf.

*stomps off*

MidnightMuse
03-06-2007, 01:47 AM

ChunkyC
03-06-2007, 02:53 AM
:e2point:

My-Immortal
03-06-2007, 03:01 AM
I think this is the first time I've honestly laughed so hard reading a series of posts that I actually had to wipe tears out of my eyes....

Man...you guys really ought to write that script!

MidnightMuse
03-06-2007, 03:11 AM
Just tell Paramount we're cheaper than Abrams, and we're set :D

ChunkyC
03-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Going to get all geek here for a moment and bite the heads off small animals... No, wait, I mean talk about minor details from Star Trek.

Like all good military weapons, photon torpedoes that go beyond operational range self-destruct to prevent them from wandering on forever until they hit something. I belive it was discussed in DS9 at one point. That's how much better than other Treks DS9 was! :tongue
Actually, for our spoof, having target-missing photon torpedoes randomly smacking into things throughout the movie would be hilarious! ... Hey, that could be the crisis the Enterprise has to deal with, the quadrant is filling up with all these photon torpedoes, making interstellar travel hazardous.... :D

My-Immortal
03-06-2007, 03:16 AM
Who brags about that kind of thing? Honestly? It's like saying "proud member of the projectile vomit club."

Hmpf.

*stomps off*

By the way....what's wrong with being in that club? It's not easy being a projectile vomiter. In addition to feeling sick you have to concentrate on what you're doing. You can't just point and shoot like wimpy, non-projectile vomiters. You can't be too close to the bowl otherwise you get splashed and when you're further back you tend to spray wide....it's a tough club and if you're in it you should brag about your abilities to hurl!

;)

MidnightMuse
03-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Hear hear !!!

moth
03-06-2007, 03:59 AM
How'd you get so white and nerdy?:roll:
Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard
;)

You'd have the opening style sequence from TNG, except when the ship at the end sails away from you (the shot where you can see the back of the bridge, with the little dude walking around, just before it goes to warp) you'd see the full orchestra on the back of the ship, playing along.

And they would go outside without spacesuits, every time. :)
My own geekiness is showing...I think that was the back of the observation lounge, which was behind the bridge. The bridge and lounge shared Deck 1. (I spent too much time reading the Nitpicker's Guides and Michael Okuda stuff...:o) And I agree, that full orchestra image is the best. Visual. Ever. :ROFL:

:D I'd love to see that in an Airplane-style Trek spoof.
That would rock!! :e2headban

PeeDee
03-06-2007, 05:55 AM
My own geekiness is showing...I think that was the back of the observation lounge, which was behind the bridge. The bridge and lounge shared Deck 1. (I spent too much time reading the Nitpicker's Guides and Michael Okuda stuff...:o) And I agree, that full orchestra image is the best. Visual. Ever. :ROFL:

Well, yes, I know that, but I was trying to make sure I was understood. I wanted people to know what part of the ship I was talking about.

Sheesh.

MM and Immortal's conversation about their little 'club'.....blows chunks. :D

I'd happily write a STar Trek script or book, serious or otherwise. I've always thought it'd be terrible fun (and I've said it here before).

And I would even put in projectile vomit, just for you guys.

WORF: I'm going to vomit.
GEORDI: Ew.
WORF: Stand back.
GEORDI: Why?
WORF: I project impressively.
GEORDI RUNS LIKE HELL.
WORF: *technicolor burp*
*splat*
GEORDI: That's projectile vomit?
WORF: It's a high-gravity planet.
GEORDI: Uh-huh....

MidnightMuse
03-06-2007, 06:23 AM

ChaosTitan
03-06-2007, 06:54 AM
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

This was exactly what I needed to read after the day I had.... Thanks guys! :D

Troo
03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
And thus my suspicions that Pete isn't allowed out without supervision are confirmed...

moth
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM

PeeDee
03-06-2007, 08:48 PM
And thus my suspicions that Pete isn't allowed out without supervision are confirmed...

You're just jealous. Pffft.

ChaosTitan
03-06-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm jealous of Pete's new hairstyle. Really brings out his eyes.

Although you could use some moisturizer.

PeeDee
03-06-2007, 10:28 PM
I just had my thrusting chin chiseled. The moisturizer would hurt.

MidnightMuse
03-07-2007, 03:05 AM
Oh, that's another thing OUR Star Trek has to change - the Every-Alien-Is-Bipedal-Humaniod.

Pet peeve.

dpaterso
03-07-2007, 03:10 AM
Oh, that's another thing OUR Star Trek has to change - the Every-Alien-Is-Bipedal-Humaniod.
But we're all descended from the Common Ancestor! Bless their rubber-faced blandness.

-Derek

PeeDee
03-07-2007, 05:46 AM
But we're all descended from the Common Ancestor! Bless their rubber-faced blandness.

-Derek

THAT WAS SUCH A STUPID EPISODE.

Seriously. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? That was TERRIBLE.

Sage
03-07-2007, 05:54 AM
I wish there was a way to get him into it. I was thinking about an old retired Kirk telling a younger person about the good old days, and for a moment I forgot about him getting croaked in Generations.
They could always have a holo-image of Kirk for some reason or another. Maybe a teaching aide for Starfleet Academy, telling the cadets about the good old days ;)

dpaterso
03-07-2007, 12:09 PM
THAT WAS SUCH A STUPID EPISODE.

Seriously. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? That was TERRIBLE.
In 25 words or less, devise a better story outline that would explain why so many life-forms in the Galaxy are bipedal oxygen breathers who communicate on the same extremely narrow atmospheric agitation bandwidth.

-Derek

Pthom
03-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Reopened and moved here by member request. Enjoy.

ChaosTitan
03-08-2007, 02:45 AM
It lives!!

:e2woo:

Sage
03-08-2007, 03:48 AM
Good, 'cuz I think that the conversation dpaterso & PeeDee were having at the end was actually pretty worthwhile for the SF/F forum, especially since I think a thread started recently dealt with a similar topic :tongue

Foinah
03-08-2007, 04:09 AM
IMHO Wallace Langham, the nerdy guy from Veronica's Closet and now on CSI, would make a great Spock.

This reply is from page two....couldn't finish wading through all the posts before I weighed in.

Who could play Harcourt Fenton Mudd? He should be in the movie....

Lantern Jack
03-08-2007, 05:53 AM
The Original Series was asinine. Its idea of radical social commentary was...

He's black on the left side and white on the right, while I'm white on the left side and black on the right. Hence, we must kill each other!

The Next Generation asked such important questions as:

What is sentience?

How are gender roles redefined in modern society?

Is euthanasia honorable?

What do you do when everybody on your ship, save your obnoxious android, has devolved into bloodsucking freakshows?

And let's not forget:

How do you fantasize about a gorgeous woman who can plumb every corner and cranny of your subconscious with her mind?

My-Immortal
03-08-2007, 06:29 AM
I'm thinking LJ isn't a Trek fan....

I just watch them for fun. <shrugs>

Sage
03-08-2007, 06:53 AM
What do you do when everybody on your ship, save your obnoxious android, has devolved into bloodsucking freakshows?How did I miss the vampire episode?! :Wha:

My-Immortal
03-08-2007, 07:42 AM
How did I miss the vampire episode?! :Wha:

Maybe the next one should be something like Interview with the Captain or perhaps The Vampire Kirk...?

Or Queen of the Enterprise?

Lantern Jack
03-08-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm thinking LJ isn't a Trek fan....

I just watch them for fun. <shrugs>

That's not true!

I met Majel Barrett Roddenberry! I asked her about the fish in the Captain's ready room (They're lion fish).

I've watched all Trek episodes, be it TNG or DS9 or Voyager or the Animated Series or that other one, like, three times.

If I'd gotten a spot on Trekkies, I would've shown off my flatteringly form fitting jump suit, complete with com badge, pips, phaser and working tricorder.

I'm a total Trekhead!

At least, I was. Then I got a girlfriend and discovered, girlfriends and Star Trek don't really coexist. You can only have one or the other. I mean, I can't be a dateless wonder when I'm dating somebody, right?

So I pitched the space opera for the Vulcan vixen who sets my phaser to stunned (so sorry, couldn't resist:tongue )

My-Immortal
03-08-2007, 07:56 AM
At least, I was. Then I got a girlfriend and discovered, girlfriends and Star Trek don't really coexist. You can only have one or the other.

I know quite a few women that are Trekkies so I wouldn't make that blanket statement that girlfriends and Star Trek don't really coexist - just simply not in your case.

BenPanced
03-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Then, too, how much of the movie with the proposed cast would you be able to watch without cracking up, expecting Affleck (AFLAC! AAAAAFFFFFLAAAAAAAC!) to do a bad Shatner impersonation?

My-Immortal
03-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Then, too, how much of the movie with the proposed cast would you be able to watch without cracking up, expecting Affleck (AFLAC! AAAAAFFFFFLAAAAAAAC!) to do a bad Shatner impersonation?

How exactly do you differentiate between a bad Shatner impersonation and a good one? :)

BenPanced
03-08-2007, 08:13 AM
How exactly do you differentiate between a bad Shatner impersonation and a good one? :)

"My life has become a particularly bad episode of CHiPs."
"Don't be ridiculous. Every episode was particularly bad."

My-Immortal
03-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like Shatner. He's....unique. :)

Troo
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
No dissing the Shat! Back to your scheduled ridicule of Afleck! :D