Query letter question

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I have a small dilemma, and am hoping someone here might have a good idea for what to do.

The main male protagonist in my novel set in the Old West (which is ready to go out for query) has the same name as a prominent agent. An agent I would very much like to send a query about this novel to.

I had the character named for at least 5 years (and for 4 and 3/4 of which I had never heard of this agent), and I don't want to change his name for a variety of reasons.

I wouldn't worry about this except that I read an article by Ethan Ellenberg where he said that it's a common trick, that authors "name" their characters after agents. I didn't, but don't have any idea of how to phrase the query letter so it doesn't sound like the most brown-nosing query/novel in the history of writing.

Any suggestions?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
What's the query consist of? Just a letter, or letter and sample chapters? Couldn't you temporarily search/replace the name of your male protag?

-Derek

Reaction score
Change the name.

If you protest, he'll think you're brown-nosing and trying to get around him by denying it.

And even if you send it to other agents, they might well recognise the name.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Shame you have to do that because of issues other folks have, but since they come up with the rules....:Soapbox:

I'd say stay on the safe side and change the name. I know it would tick me off to have to do it, but what can you do?

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
The name is pretty integral to the character and barring it being the only way I could publish, I don't want to change it. It's not an uncommon name, it's just a coincidence. And, I don't know that another agent would necessarily care. This agent isn't the only agent in the world for this novel, he just seems like a good choice FOR the novel. (But then, that's more his choice than mine, no matter what, LOL.)

I guess I'll just query some other agents in my top 20 first and then see if they have any "you know, this guy's name is the same as this other agent's name" remarks or not. If not, I'll try to figure out a way to say, "As odd as this seems, I didn't copy your name for this character."

And, I normally send a query and short (1-2 page) synopsis, and then any pages the agent requests in their standard query package.

Oh, and to Derek's suggestion -- doing a find/replace on this character just for this one agent is something I considered, but it's NOT the name, and so it's almost as bad (to me) as doing a find/replace and putting IN an agent's name on purpose. If that makes any sense.

Thanks for the help everyone!