Grammar headache, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com

Ok my brain stopped working a half hour ago and even with earplugs the freaking cat is snoring so loud I can't hear myself think! I need some grammar help.

I know religions like Buddhist, Hindu, and Presbyterian etc. start with a capital, but what about the words catholic and protestant as in “She was a catholic schoolgirl.” I’ve found it used with and without a capital and I’m getting confused.

Also what about his or her majesty? Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth would be capitalized, but what about “She was fairly certain his majesty would not be pleased.” I’ve also found this used both ways so which is it? Capitalized or no?

Please help. I'm going to have a drink! Thanks

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I think that in both cases it is supposed to be capitalized.

Deleted member 42

Capitalized; and you know, the dictionary will tell you if words are capitalized or not.

With titles, like king or majesty, they are uppercase when they refer to a specific proper noun, that is, an individual by name.

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com
Capitalized; and you know, the dictionary will tell you if words are capitalized or not.

With titles, like king or majesty, they are uppercase when they refer to a specific proper noun, that is, an individual by name.

Yes I know how to use a dictionary thanks, and my Mirriam Websters, actually doesn't say.

The question is not about the usage when refering to an individual noun, or name, as I've mentioned already. It's about the usage when speaking of someone in the third person. ie. "He wondered what his majesty would make of it all." In that instance king is not capitalized, i.e "He wondered what the king would make of it."

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
If it is a name-substitution, then capitalize it. It is a category, then don't.

Susan's knees shook as she turned the door knob. She knew that Mother would not be pleased.

Susan's knees shook as she turned the door knob. She knew that Sam's mother would not be pleased.

In the first example, the term "mother" is being used as a substitute for the woman's proper name. In the second, it is the woman's relationship to Sam that is being referred to. In that instance, the term "mother" is a relationship category, not a name-substitute.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I know how to use a dictionary thanks, and my Mirriam Websters, actually doesn't say.

The question is not about the usage when refering to an individual noun, or name, as I've mentioned already. It's about the usage when speaking of someone in the third person. ie. "He wondered what his majesty would make of it all." In that instance king is not capitalized, i.e "He wondered what the king would make of it."

No, it's like saying "I wonder if King Bob would... whatever."

You're welcome for an answer, but there's no need to get sassy at Med.

Deleted member 42

Did you actually look at the dictionary I linked to? No, you didn't. If you had, you'd notice that it does answer your question -- as did my comment after the dictionary link. Both references to His Majesty, and to the complete title, Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth the II, would have an uppercase M. Here's the entry for majesty:

American Heritage Dictionary said:
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. maj·es·ties
1a. The greatness and dignity of a sovereign. b. The sovereignty and power of God. 2. Supreme authority or power: the majesty of the law. 3a. A royal personage. b. Majesty Used with His, Her, or Your as a title and form of address for a sovereign. 4a. Royal dignity of bearing or aspect; grandeur. b. Stately splendor; magnificence, as of style or character: the Parthenon in all its majesty.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, gang, let's all remember to take a deep breath. I mean, if the cat's snoring is stressing Manat, I think it's safe to assume that he's tensed and frustrated right now to the point where he's not stopping to think about what's really being said or given.

Manat, stand up, stretch, wake up the cat, and go take a walk around the block or load the dishwasher or something.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
If you're referring to Roman Catholic, as in the religion, yes it's capitalized. However, "catholic" also means "universal", although it's not often used that way. In the Nicene creed, part of the prayer says "I believe in the holy catholic church", not "holy Catholic church", which changes the meaning to "holy universal church", meaning that it's everywhere.

I'm not sure I'm being helpful. My brain has been poaching in phlegm for about a week and it's not working quite right.

Bottom line: she was a Catholic school girl (or had been, or whatever--I used to be a Catholic school girl)

Status
Not open for further replies.