PDA

View Full Version : Middle School library questions

Haggis
02-26-2007, 07:51 PM
What books might an 11-12 year old girl be reading in a middle school library? A middle school boy? Are National Geographics still available in school libraries?

Thanks much.

Maryn
02-26-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm surprised you don't yet have any replies. When The Kid gets home from work, I'll see what she remembers reading at that age and find out whether the school library had National Geographics.

I do remember one that she must have read a dozen times, easy. "Catherine, Called Birdy" is for ages 12 and up, Amazon says.

At about the same age, our son was devouring "Raptor Red" and "Hatchet."

Both kids adored William Sleator's "House of Stairs" and Ouita Sebastian's "Girl in the Box." The authors tackled pretty adult concepts with respect for their young readers, never once talking down or providing a gooey-happy ending that didn't fit.

I'll get some more titles if I can.

Maryn, whose kids were voracious readers

stormie
02-26-2007, 10:45 PM
I think the problem with not getting a lot of responses is the school library part. They're very selective in their reading materials. Look how many school libraries wouldn't carry Judy Blume or that latest Newbery (can't think of the title) with the ten-year-old saying "scrotum" on page one.

Anonymisty
02-26-2007, 11:20 PM
What books might an 11-12 year old girl be reading in a middle school library? A middle school boy? Are National Geographics still available in school libraries?

Well, I can only speak from my own place of employment, but the popular titles for those ages/genders around here are:

Boys
Captain Underpants - Dave Pilkey
The Animorphs series - K A Applegate
The Alex Rider books - Anthony Horowitz
The Bluford books - Anne Schraff and Paul Langan
Anything by Gary Paulsen, Will Hobbs, Gary Korman

Girls
The Heartland series - Lauren Brooke
TTYL and TTFN - Lauren Myracle
The Bluford books - Anne Schraff and Paul Langan
Anything by Margaret Haddix, Lois Duncan, Sharon Flake and Sharon Draper

And the current National Geographics are available, but we don't keep them more than one year.

If I can be of more service, please ask. *smile*

The_Grand_Duchess
02-26-2007, 11:21 PM
I don't know off the top of my head but my husband works in a middle school so I will ask him when he gets home. He doesnt like when I ask him random questionns while he's at work. :)

Haggis
02-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks so much, folks. My own former middle schoolers are both in their 30s now. Don't think they'd be much help. :D

The info isn't vital to my wip, but it sure would lend an air of authenticity to it, so I really appreciate your help.

Petroglyph
02-27-2007, 02:06 AM
The Artemis Fowl (Sp?) books.
Harry Potter (hasn't been banned here....just in pockets of the South I think)
Lloyd Alexander books
Chasing Vermeer and the new book by the lady whose first name is Blue.
LOTR

The_Grand_Duchess
02-27-2007, 07:21 AM
He said yes to the national geographic and also they have some sort of PC magizine there. He wasn't sure of the books but as a reader I would say that the lists that were provided already are probably pretty acurate as well as adding some classics like where the red fern grows and tuck everlasting.

kikazaru
02-27-2007, 05:19 PM
My son is 11 and he is a big fantasy reader.

He likes the Septimus Heap books (Flyte, Physik, Magyk) by Ange Sage.
He is reading Terry Brooks right now Sword of Shanarra.

Other books, the Lemony Snicket series, and books by Cornelia Funke

Haggis
02-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Great info, guys. Thanks so much.

sassandgroove
03-03-2007, 02:40 AM
My own former middle schoolers are both in their 30s now.Well darn. I'm in my thirties now too. (how old are you?!) BUt I remember reading "Bridge to Terabithia" from the school library when i was 12. I read a whole bunch of other books, but not from the school libarary. :)

Shady Lane
03-15-2007, 02:58 AM
I read the Outsiders about a million times when I was in middle school (2 years ago--still valid.)

Provrb1810meggy
03-15-2007, 03:27 AM
I know a lot of people, girls and boys, liked the Neal Shusterman books in middle school. Bridge to Terebithia is also a good option, especially with the movie now coming out. Many girls like the Princess Diaries series.

As for magazines, my middle school library had the academic ones, like National Geographic, but honestly, most kids don't read those. Girls would look at those teen girly magazines, like Girl's Life. Sometimes the guys would read these magazines and laugh as they took the quizzes or point out hot girls in the ads.

Haggis
03-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks, guys. Great info. I appreciate the input. :)

Akuma
03-16-2007, 03:53 AM
The what's it called. . . Guinness book of World Records. More popular amongst boys but girls reading it isn't unheard of.

Marlys
03-16-2007, 04:09 AM
Wait, I have an expert on middle-school libraries on the phone. He says:

Peg Kehret books: Abduction, Don't Tell Anyone, Earthquake Terror (both boys and girls read them, but some are more geared towards girls).

A Series of Unfortunate Events and Harry Potter books

Face on the Milk Carton by Lois Duncan

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

He informs me that his middle school library doesn't have Nat Geo, but they do have National Geographic for Kids. Also Sports Illustrated for Kids.

mrongey
03-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Don't forget Calvin and Hobbes!

Anonymisty
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Face on the Milk Carton by Lois Duncan

Actually, that book was written by Caroline Cooney.

Marlys
03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Actually, that book was written by Caroline Cooney.That's what happens when I trust the eleven-year-old instead of looking it up myself. Next time I see him, he will pay for his carelessness. :D

Anonymisty
03-20-2007, 10:08 PM
That's what happens when I trust the eleven-year-old instead of looking it up myself. Next time I see him, he will pay for his carelessness. :D

Oh, please have mercy on him! The two writers are pretty similar in subject and style, so it's an understandable boo-boo. :)

Marlys
03-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Oh, please have mercy on him! The two writers are pretty similar in subject and style, so it's an understandable boo-boo. :)Well, since you asked nicely. And wear a pirate hat.

Melanie Lane
05-12-2007, 09:34 PM
For both (most of the books I read (including these) were read mostly by boys):
Alex Rider Series (those don't even go onto the shelves)
The Pendragon Series (those don't go onto the shelves, either, they're gone to fast)
Series of Unfortunate Events (same)
Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights (totally random, I know)
The House of the Scorpion
Lois Duncan
Artemis Fowl (Foul????)

Girls:
Harry Potter (for some reason, the guys never read them...at school, anyway)
The Clique series
Gossip Girls (barfs)
The Face on the Milk Carton
The older Meg Cabots (including Princess Diaries and Mediator series)