Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
So one of the three publishers I subbed to sent me a rejection. BUT it wasn't all bad. She gave me a list of why she couldn't offer it a contract, and said if I considered implementing the suggested revisions I could resubmit.

Actually she commented on my opening, which is usually a huge problem for me. I have this tendency to start way ahead of where the story actually begins. I do it almost every time. She said I should think about whether or not I needed every scene and asked me to condense and tighten. And she said my MC needed more of a change. I can see her point.

Not all that bad -better than 'not for us'.

I have two other partials out, but think her revision suggestions would make for a stronger book. Do I do it now, or wait? Or do it, save as a different draft, then resub if I get rejected by the other two. One of the other two is a tie for my first choice, with this publisher who rejected, and the other is my last choice, although still a good publisher.

Opinions?

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's not a bad R at all...if you feel her revisions are right on, I'd do it and resub!! You can always save it as a different draft, you know?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Good rejection, Christine. Since you agree with her advice, use her suggestions, and revise. When--see, I say "when," not "if"--the other two who have the partials ask for fulls, send the revised ms., stating that over the course of time, you felt this version was stronger and better.

My two cents!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For my books coming out with Samhain this month I deleted the whole first chapter (4000 words) before submitting. I plan to use it in promo as a "lost chapter" :)

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
that's a great accomplishment to get a personalized response...way to go!

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Save your current draft (it's already been submitted, yes?), decide what to market to whom after the revisions. . . good luck!!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Wow, I'm brilliant. :D

Not! If I were brilliant, I would have figured this all out months ago. After cleaning up the first couple of chapters, I had a flash of inspiration. Today I rearranged stuff, cut stuff and now I think the first half of the book is MUCH better.
Now for the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.