Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Anyone ever done this? It's cheaply flyable for me, but rooms are outrageous (natch, it's NYC) and it's $495 for 4 days. BUT it's aimed at one thing: writers pitching to editors--and there's a wide variety.

Sounds like a no-brainer--BUT I'm a cheap...er...frugal broad and I need to know laying out that kind of cash will be worth it.

Thanks!

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been. I signed up for the April one but I'm having second thoughts... anyone who can chime in here will have my appreciation as well.

Calla, there are rooms within walking distance (five to eight blocks) that are more reasonably priced at $99 - $120 a night. I've been to NYC a number of times and managed to locate the studio. And OMG, you're in Buffalo!! I'm in Syracuse (well, sort of).

I've heard roommates make things cheaper... :D

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's a small world--where in Syracuse? I lived there till I got married! My folks still own a gas station on the North Side.

I've been to NYC a few times (I hate it, but we must suffer for our art, right?). Tell me you're female and this room-sharing thing is a definite possibility, LOL.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Thanks, Victoria. You're invaluable!

But I think I fall within Evil Editor's parameters. I've had requests for partials, so my query seems to work. I know the marked I need to aim for (NOT Christian, where I thought I needed to be).

Gotta chew on this some more.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Calla - sweet! What's the gas station? I lived on the South Side (yeah, yeah, I'm a bad-a**) but had friends all over, and a few on the North Side.

I've moved to the "country" (Mexico, about 45 minutes north of Syracuse) but my sister's still down there and my husband works in Syracuse.

which answers the gender question, eh? :D

I'm gonna PM you...

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
Calla -

I went to the one back in September. I thought it was a good experience, if only because I got to meet face-to-face with other writers (which I don't get to do very often). I'm still in contact with a few of the folks I was there with. A couple of them now have contracts as a (direct or indirect) result of the query/pitch polishing sessions we did.

It also did a lot to humanize the publishing industry for me. It was useful for me to sit across the table from some Big Bad Editors and realize they really are just folks, after all. Most of them, frankly, seemed more interested in critiquing the pitches than in considering the books, but Tom Colgan of Penguin requested my full ms, read the whole thing, and sent me a personal rejection a couple of months later.

That, and it was an excuse to spend a weekend in Manhattan with my wife. We didn't have a whole lot of free time, but it was enough to go to some good suppers and catch a show one evening.

Let me know if you want more specific information. I'll be happy to help.

HN

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed it. My query was so much better when I left New York than before I went. The other students gave me ideas, the mentor of the class gave me ideas, the editor gave me ideas.

One of the editors requested the manuscript, and I put that in my query. (It was a fudge, of course, because they essentially requested the pitch. But still, it was Tom Clancy's editor.)

I'm pretty easy to please, but it was well worth the money I paid.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Calla -

I went to the one back in September. I thought it was a good experience, if only because I got to meet face-to-face with other writers (which I don't get to do very often). I'm still in contact with a few of the folks I was there with. A couple of them now have contracts as a (direct or indirect) result of the query/pitch polishing sessions we did.

It also did a lot to humanize the publishing industry for me. It was useful for me to sit across the table from some Big Bad Editors and realize they really are just folks, after all. Most of them, frankly, seemed more interested in critiquing the pitches than in considering the books, but Tom Colgan of Penguin requested my full ms, read the whole thing, and sent me a personal rejection a couple of months later.

That, and it was an excuse to spend a weekend in Manhattan with my wife. We didn't have a whole lot of free time, but it was enough to go to some good suppers and catch a show one evening.

Let me know if you want more specific information. I'll be happy to help.

HN

Hey, I know you...

I just PM'd you.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I wish it were a dinner. I would be infinitely more comfortable talking to editor(s) about my book if it were over a plate of Stroganoff, for example. I can't imagine just sitting across from the editor and saying "okay, my book is a James Joyce-esque look at the world we live in and what happens when a transsexual hypochondriac must deal with the living dead who have risen and are playing the graveyard version of musical chairs."

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - okay, Pete, feel free to whack me one, but... is that really what your book is about? :D 'Cuz it does sound like fun...

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Wow - okay, Pete, feel free to whack me one, but... is that really what your book is about? :D 'Cuz it does sound like fun...

Silly, no. I just made that up as an example, and then posted it, and I thought "oh. Hey. That could be fun."

And then it turned into scenes in my head, and I guess I'll write it as a short story later tonight.

But if I pitch it to an editor, I would still like it to be over dinner.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'd forgotten about PitchBitch. Her name always reminded me of "Shake N Bake" and I chortled.

She's on my list as an "absolute tit," and the list is starting to get heavy and I dont' think I'll carry it with me anymore.

I think that things like this could be useful, but I tend to approach these things based on whethe or not I think it'd be cool and fun to do.

If I read a short story to a crowd, for example, I'd do it consciously because I think it'd be fun and I'd enjoy doing it. The fact that it would help sell books is definitely a factor, but not one that would immediately occur to me.

I'd treat the Pitch 'N' Shop the same way. You could have fun, you could meet interesting people, you could learn a few things. It's not vital. You don't have to go in order to become a Real Published Writer! or anything.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
What about the idea that the more editors see your book (and reject it) the less of a chance you have to get an agent? That's why I would tend to avoid something like this.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You know, that's an interesting question, in that I'm not sure this sort of thing would apply to that general rule. (But the key words there are "I'm not sure.")

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
What about the idea that the more editors see your book (and reject it) the less of a chance you have to get an agent? That's why I would tend to avoid something like this.

Eh, you're only talking about three or four editors. Only one of them is going to ask for the manuscript, probably. The rest of them essentially critique your pitch and give sort of publishing world advice.

And by the time these editors look at your book, the agent process will be almost over. Unless you've got a really hot MS, it's going to take these editors 6-8 months to reject you. By that time, you probably will be well on your way to getting an agent.

By the time the editor from the Pitch-and-Shop rejected me, my agent had already submitted to publishers.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Since my pitch is attracting about a 50% response rate from agents to see the manuscript, in whole or in part, I'm thinking it's probably pretty good. If the pitch isn't the problem, then maybe this workshop won't help me find out what the problem is.

Beyond that, I've been looking for a new agent for over a year. So I don't need any more strikes against me.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Since my pitch is attracting about a 50% response rate from agents to see the manuscript, in whole or in part, I'm thinking it's probably pretty good. If the pitch isn't the problem, then maybe this workshop won't help me find out what the problem is.

Beyond that, I've been looking for a new agent for over a year. So I don't need any more strikes against me.

I was getting about 50% before the conference; around 90% after.

My experience was good because I like writing environments. I hadn't been in one since my MFA. I'm sort of on an island down here in Louisville. No crit groups, no writing groups. ANY writing experience/instruction at that point would have bowled me over, probably. It had been five years since I'd discussed writing with anyone.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:Hail: I bow before the glorious gift of the gods that is AW.

I clicked the links and read much of the blog. Ouch.

Y'all saved me from the clutches of PA the first time I logged onto here. I think I need to save my money and NOT visit NYC in April. P&S might be good for some, but I'm getting responses from my queries and proposals now.

Wow. Off to bed and nightmares of drowning in slush piles while being lectured by TPB and Miss Snark.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Silly, no. I just made that up as an example, and then posted it, and I thought "oh. Hey. That could be fun."

And then it turned into scenes in my head, and I guess I'll write it as a short story later tonight.

But if I pitch it to an editor, I would still like it to be over dinner.

Woot! Bring on the transsexual hypochondriac zombies! :D

I didn't know the Pitch Bitch was associated with this. Erk. Think I'll be getting a refund and spending my money on printing queries instead...

*sigh* One of these days...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I've pitched to editors over a tiny little card table and over lunch. I prefer not involving food. I'm such a wreck that I get wicked indigestion--and I have a cast-iron stomach. But I was an actress for years before I had kids (augh, I miss it!) and I can still hide the nerves and bat my baby blues like the whole pitch thing is a walk in the park.

(And can I put any more cliches in this post?!)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I think it's to a writer's great advantage to be poor and married, because when things like this (or AuthorHouse, or whatever) occur to you and seem like a good idea in a moment of madness...it doesn't matter. You can't afford it anyway, and if you forget that, your wife will remind you.

:)

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
I've pitched to editors over a tiny little card table and over lunch. I prefer not involving food. I'm such a wreck that I get wicked indigestion--and I have a cast-iron stomach. But I was an actress for years before I had kids (augh, I miss it!) and I can still hide the nerves and bat my baby blues like the whole pitch thing is a walk in the park.

(And can I put any more cliches in this post?!)

Sounds like you gave 110% in those pitches. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.