Punishing your kids

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
So... what do you think of punishing your kids? As in "you can't go out with your friends for a month". Does it work? Is it stupid?

Reaction score
I mean, whatever form of punishment works for Child A might be water off a duck's back for Child B.

For instance, my friends at school hated being sent to their rooms. I, on the other hand, loved it as that was where all my books were.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
The author (I think it's Kevin Leman, but I can't recall) of Making Kids Mind without Losing Yours talks about using logical consequences as discipline instead of "punishment." For example, if you hit your sister with a toy, you lose that toy for an hour. Or, if you don't do your homework, you can't watch a television show you like until your work is done. It sounds like the same thing as punishment in a lot of cases, but the focus is on cause and effect, like what your children will eventually experience after leaving home, instead of them doing something bad and you zapping them for it. Instead of a war between them and you, it's their choice between doing the smart thing and doing the thing that leads to unpleasant consequences. We'll see how that goes when my kids get old enough to know what the heck I'm saying to them...

Reaction score
Yeah, I was gonna say I prefer the word 'discipline' but figured that would make me sound like some sort of bondage freak.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like the word discipline, partly because I imagine it as a euphemism for spanking or whipping, and also because of the book "Dare To Discipline" (there's a copy around here somewhere, but I haven't read it - just Dobson's reputation is enough to make me cringe) But whatever you call it...

I can say that two things are important: consistency, and not punishing out of anger (that is, punishing a child BECAUSE YOU are angry).

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed with this thread, Dama. I mean, I thought it was going to be a 'how to' guide. But, whatever...

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
What? You don't like my woman? You just wait 'til she tells her daddy.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I don't like the word discipline, partly because I imagine it as a euphemism for spanking or whipping, and also because of the book "Dare To Discipline" (there's a copy around here somewhere, but I haven't read it - just Dobson's reputation is enough to make me cringe) But whatever you call it...

I can say that two things are important: consistency, and not punishing out of anger (that is, punishing a child BECAUSE YOU are angry).

Really? Because I associate punishment with spanking or whipping, but I've grown to think of discipline as something that's built. Based on the definitions below, the one in bold is the one I think of most.

–noun 1.training to act in accordance with rules; drill: military discipline.
2.activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill; training: A daily stint at the typewriter is excellent discipline for a writer.
3.punishment inflicted by way of correction and training.
4.the rigor or training effect of experience, adversity, etc.: the harsh discipline of poverty.
5.behavior in accord with rules of conduct; behavior and order maintained by training and control: good discipline in an army.
6.a set or system of rules and regulations.
7.Ecclesiastical. the system of government regulating the practice of a church as distinguished from its doctrine.
8.an instrument of punishment, esp. a whip or scourge, used in the practice of self-mortification or as an instrument of chastisement in certain religious communities.
9.a branch of instruction or learning: the disciplines of history and economics.
–verb (used with object)
10.to train by instruction and exercise; drill.
11.to bring to a state of order and obedience by training and control.
12.to punish or penalize in order to train and control; correct; chastise.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

But to answer Dama's question, it really depends on each child, though I suspect most kids would think they would fall over dead if you took their cell phone away.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((Dama)), I hate "punishing" my teen. If she's unhappy I am unhappy. But she has to have limits, bounderies. I let her know the rules long ago, so she accepts her groundings, just part of life, growing up.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Scarlet's right, it depends on the kid.

More accurately, it depends on what the kid did.

'Cause if you set fire to my books, you can let the word "friends" just fall out of your vocabulary.

Reaction score
Oh dear God, that would call for a horse-whippin' and a keel-haulin' for starters!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
In this house, it'll be a pavlovian response. "Touching Pete's books/writing/work = Indentured Servitude"

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
What did you do, Dama? Am I going to have to call your parents, again :D

Me?? Nothing! It's just that since they're hauling me off to Monterrey against my will, I've been trying to make the most out of the time I have left with my friends and boyfriend, meaning that I lose track of time (who cares about time anyway? I was not born to be constantly checking a watch (that always says it's 18:98 'cause it's broken)) and arrive home at least 2 hours after I said I would.

((Dama)), I hate "punishing" my teen. If she's unhappy I am unhappy. But she has to have limits, bounderies. I let her know the rules long ago, so she accepts her groundings, just part of life, groing up.

The problem now is that my mom got seriously angry last night and told me that if I did it again, she'd punish me. I said: "Okay, you're punishing me. What do you plan to accomplish with that?" And she kind of got angrier because she obviously doesn't have an answer for that. She hates when I outsmart her, which prompts her to act all irrational. In fact, the other day she was about to punish me and I said: "do you really think that punishing me is going to make me less distracted?" ('cause it's true, the main problem here is that I'm absent-minded, which is not going to be cured by spending time locked up in my room). That saved me last time, but mom's getting fed up with not finding an answer.

Which is totally unfair, 'cause all my life I've been the best daughter I could, always respecting house rules and curfews and even passing out great opportunities because I knew my parents wouldn't agree and stuff like that. It's not like I'm doing drugs in my bathroom or anything, it's just that I want to spend more time with my friends, 'cause next summer it's going to be bye bye.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
It's a cliche thing for me to say, but your mum was just worried about you.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
It's a cliche thing for me to say, but your mum was just worried about you.
I knew that already. But please! There are limits! If I was venturing into... I don't know, Tepito or something (that place has a seriously bad reputation for kidnappings, drugs, and everything else), she has a reason to be worried. But I was in a McDonald's in the 'nice' part of the city and a friend drove me home. How is that something to worry about? We didn't even move from the McDonald's, we weren't doing anything potentially dangerous except maybe fooling around with a loose chair (and it was a friend who fell down, not me). She just doesn't understand that yes, she can be worried about me, but there are limits too.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me?? Nothing! It's just that since they're hauling me off to Monterrey against my will, I've been trying to make the most out of the time I have left with my friends and boyfriend, meaning that I lose track of time (who cares about time anyway? I was not born to be constantly checking a watch (that always says it's 18:98 'cause it's broken)) and arrive home at least 2 hours after I said I would.

The problem now is that my mom got seriously angry last night and told me that if I did it again, she'd punish me. I said: "Okay, you're punishing me. What do you plan to accomplish with that?" And she kind of got angrier because she obviously doesn't have an answer for that. She hates when I outsmart her, which prompts her to act all irrational. In fact, the other day she was about to punish me and I said: "do you really think that punishing me is going to make me less distracted?" ('cause it's true, the main problem here is that I'm absent-minded, which is not going to be cured by spending time locked up in my room). That saved me last time, but mom's getting fed up with not finding an answer.

Which is totally unfair, 'cause all my life I've been the best daughter I could, always respecting house rules and curfews and even passing out great opportunities because I knew my parents wouldn't agree and stuff like that. It's not like I'm doing drugs in my bathroom or anything, it's just that I want to spend more time with my friends, 'cause next summer it's going to be bye bye.
Ohh ((Dama)) you just mirrored my daughter's words to a tee. Try to remember your Mom is one the good guys --on your side.
hugs kimmi

tela

Registered
Reaction score
My oldest was the same way alway losing track of time and what ever watch he had he broke. I solved that by having him tell who ever he was with what time he was due home and to call the instant he realized he was going to be late. That way he had a back up and I knew what was going on and didn’t worry. He usually was with the same kids and told everyone he had to leave by 9, some was usually remembered. For me the calling was the most important because I was born worrying.
It actually work well.

Tela