PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful agent?

RJLeahy
02-24-2007, 09:27 PM
This stems from a discussion a few weeks ago, where a group of fellow writers and I were debating who was the most powerful literary agent in the world right now.

I elected the William Morris Agency. Any one else want to put forth their idea?

DeadlyAccurate
02-24-2007, 09:31 PM
You might find this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56064)thread in the AW Roundtable interesting.

RJLeahy
02-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Yes, it hits on the same subject, but deals with the question of the "best" agent, which may be different things for different people.

the discussion we had started like this:

It's 4:55pm on a Friday afternoon at LeBehemoth publishing company, when the phone rings. The caller wants to talk to Mr. Big about a new novel that just can't miss.

Question: Which agents have the juice to get that call taken?

Julie Worth
02-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Best agent, or best agency? And for what genre?

James D. Macdonald
02-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Question: Which agents have the juice to get that call taken?

If they're a legitimate agency that's sold to that house before, the answer is "All of them."

(But if they call at 4:55 pm on a Friday in summer, the answering machine gets the call. Publishers go home at noon.)

victoriastrauss
02-24-2007, 11:48 PM
I thought we'd already extensively addressed the pointlessness of this kind of exercise in that other thread. Guess I was wrong.

- Victoria

RJLeahy
02-25-2007, 12:28 AM
It's just a frivolous discussion Victoria. No one said you had to join in.

victoriastrauss
02-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Well, gosh. That's me told off.

- Victoria

RJLeahy
02-25-2007, 01:34 AM
It wasn't meant to tell you off. It was meant to say that everything discussed on AW has to meet with your approval.

RJLeahy
02-25-2007, 01:34 AM
should read "not everything".

rugcat
02-25-2007, 02:15 AM

- VictoriaWell, Victoria, itís about time.

Your constant attempts to freely share your hard-earned knowledge, provide accurate information about the world of agents and publishing, and provide a voice of reason is starting to get old. Not to mention that annoying habit of encouraging new writers.

Anonymisty
02-25-2007, 02:42 AM
... who was the most powerful literary agent in the world right now.

Oh, that's easy - my agent is the most powerful one in the world! She can fly, and heal herself when she gets hurt, and move things with her mind, and even become invisible when the need arises.

Oh, wait, sorry. I was getting real life mixed up with Heroes again.

*grin*

Bartholomew
02-25-2007, 03:12 AM
It wasn't meant to tell you off. It was meant to say that not everything discussed on AW has to meet with your approval.

But it does have to meet with my approval. I'm sorry to report that this thread is substandard.

Back up the wrecking ball! Clear the zone!

PeeDee
02-25-2007, 03:54 AM
Sorry, but this thread doesn't work for the same reasons that the other thread doesn't work. The most "powerful" agent in science fiction and fantasy would be entirely different than the most powerful agent in romance. Or they might be the same person.

That doesn't allow even for a "no way, mine's better! argument because it's not a matter of better. It's a matter of different. It's like comparing sewing needles to bananas. Exactly.

Toothpaste
02-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Rj, don't even bother trying. Or you'll end up like me. In a lovely little white room with lovely little white padded walls and the coziest white jacket with your arms tied oh so snugly behind you . . . but, one may ask, if I'm in a straight jacket, how am I typing . . . a puzzle isn't it.

PeeDee
02-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Rj, don't even bother trying. Or you'll end up like me. In a lovely little white room with lovely little white padded walls and the coziest white jacket with your arms tied oh so snugly behind you . . . but, one may ask, if I'm in a straight jacket, how am I typing . . . a puzzle isn't it.

That's a dexterous nose you have there.

Shadow_Ferret
02-25-2007, 10:18 AM
It's interesting how some people just want to shut these discussions down.

But I think the William Morris Agency is a good pick because they have their fingers in everyone's pie.

PeeDee
02-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I have my eye on Writers' House, m'self.

Shadow_Ferret
02-25-2007, 10:26 AM
See, but I've never even heard of writer's house, whereas I think nearly everyone has heard of the William Morris Agency. It's nearly a household word.

PeeDee
02-25-2007, 10:27 AM
You haven't heard of Writers' House, but you've heard of their writers, which is the trick, isn't it? :)

http://www.writershouse.com/content/bestsellers.asp

Shadow_Ferret
02-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Have I heard of some of those writers (many I've never heard of) because of the agency or because of the writer?

PeeDee
02-25-2007, 10:34 AM
That's a bit metaphysical for me, I'm afraid.

You probably would have heard of Neil Gaiman or Nora Roberts eventually, because good writing gets you where bad writing cannot. But I would maintain that you would not hear about them so loudly or so soon if not for the agency.

Then again, Neil Gaiman was a major writer well before he needed a literary agent. So make of that what you will.

waylander
02-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh, that's easy - my agent is the most powerful one in the world! She can fly, and heal herself when she gets hurt, and move things with her mind, and even become invisible when the need arises.

I've met your agent and I believe you

Bartholomew
02-25-2007, 08:45 PM
It's interesting how some people just want to shut these discussions down.

Yes. The Man is stepping on this thread's neck. Down with the man!

o.o

You... You have a pogo avatar. Will you marry me?

James D. Macdonald
02-25-2007, 08:50 PM
The most powerful agent in the world can't sell an unpublishable manuscript.

More to the point, the most powerful agent in the world won't even try. That's part of what make him "the most powerful agent in the world."

I think I can state without fear of serious contradiction that The Literary Agency Group is not "THE MOST POWERFUL AGENCY GROUP IN THE UNITED STATES."

jodiodi
02-25-2007, 10:46 PM
I've heard of Writer's House and they're on my list.

The agent I'd really like to get is Ethan Ellanberg. He represents the writer who inspired me to try to write for publication and whose books mine are most like stylistically.

That's not to say I wouldn't be thrilled with another agent and likely there are others who may be even better fits for me, but since I don't know any personally, Mr. Ellanberg is the one I am hoping for.

Julie Worth
02-25-2007, 11:23 PM
The agent I'd really like to get is Ethan Ellanberg.

If you write to him, be sure to spell his name correctly. :)

roach
02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I think I can state without fear of serious contradiction that The Literary Agency Group is not "THE MOST POWERFUL AGENCY GROUP IN THE UNITED STATES."

And suddenly I have a vision of a Justice League type organization for agents. With capes! And superpowers! And cake*!

*Why cake? Why not? Everyone likes cake.

PeeDee
02-25-2007, 11:35 PM
*Why cake? Why not? Everyone likes cake.

I believe that's parfaits everyone likes. No one ever goes "No I don't want none of them parfaits."

stormie
02-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Wait a minute, PeeDee. Thought you were opening an agency. A big powerful one, for all those writers who deserve to be repped by an agent who even has a PO Box in NYC. And at only 50 dollars. I read it right here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56064&page=3).

PeeDee
02-25-2007, 11:49 PM
I cannot confirm whether or not this isn't true or not, on a public forum.

roach
02-26-2007, 12:13 AM
I believe that's parfaits everyone likes. No one ever goes "No I don't want none of them parfaits."

*cough*I don't like parfaits.*cough*

And I suggest if you are going to start an agency to recommend agencies you should adopt the dress code I mentioned upstream. Nothing says both "powerful" and "classy" as a cape. Add tights and you'll also say, "Really you can trust me!"

AnneMarble
02-26-2007, 01:03 AM

Does that make them imparfaits? :tongue

*runs and hides*

stormie
02-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Does that make them imparfaits? :tongue

<groan> :ROFL:

Little Red Barn
02-26-2007, 04:33 AM

- Victoria
Victoria, your words, advice, info and input are always welcome and deeply appreciated. :Hug2:

triceretops
02-26-2007, 06:18 AM
I'll second that. Victoria has a habit of giving the puck a slap shot into the net, providing a look on the other side. We need that reality smack. If I would have listened to her, I wouldn't be in the little mess that I'm in now. I'll get out of it and smooth it over, but I had my palms over my ears, saying, "lah, la, la, la" when she gave me the "facts."

This is a highly subjective notion about the greatest agent. Yeah, it's fun, but what good is it going to do us?

Okay, on topic: I thought in the early days that Richard Curtis was the god of all spec writers. I finally landed there. I soon found out that I was a tadpole in a very large lake of top gun writers. They just didn't have the time to spend on this newbie. I got lost in the shuffle somewhere along the line. It was great to be tagged a Curtis client, a lot of prestige went with it. But I don't think it propelled my career along. I was, out of my element. I think that a smaller agency, with more personalized interaction, would have served me better. And, of course, that's my opinion. It's one case where a top notch agent didn't do me any good. And yeah, they had three of my books at the time.

Tri

jodiodi
02-26-2007, 06:43 AM
If you write to him, be sure to spell his name correctly. :)

See? The thought of querying him makes me so nervous I can't even spell.

Actually, when I go to write people, I have their website pulled up so that I have everything to tick off on my list to make sure I've done everything they require. When I'm just posting on forums, I'm lucky to be paying attention to the keyboard, much less looking up anything to make sure my spelling's right. 3 kids, 2 dogs and a husband all in the same room with me, one watching dvd's, one playing his new electric guitar, another on the computer watching youtube and another playing Onimusha 3 on the PS2 isn't conducive to concentration on my part. Hence, I never get any writing done on the weekends with the kids.

PeeDee
02-26-2007, 07:48 AM

And I suggest if you are going to start an agency to recommend agencies you should adopt the dress code I mentioned upstream. Nothing says both "powerful" and "classy" as a cape. Add tights and you'll also say, "Really you can trust me!"

I guess I can get a cape. I already have my Lumberjack in Stretchy Pants issued Stretchy Pants. So that's all right.

KAP
02-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Ah, a powerful agent, a super agent. I think of someone who supplies editors novels they can't resist. Great connections, insight, and a deserved reputation for only offering the best. Now if they also wear tights and a cape, outrun competing agents pushing competing novels, and can leap over towering slush piles (after having scooped up my novel to rescue it from a lingering death by neglect), all the better.

And if they work well with authors, sign me up.

Maprilynne
02-26-2007, 09:19 AM
My Agent's from Writers House and has a black belt in martial arts. Beat that!

Hi-yah!

:)

Maprilynne

triceretops
02-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Awe, crud. Mine is only an award winning soccer coach. And he speaks like Arnorld Schwarzenegger. "I'll be back," he's fond to say.

Tri

Rolling Thunder
02-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Mr. Clean can't be beat, as the most powerful cleaning agent.

Bartholomew
02-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I think James Bond pretty much mops the floor with all these other bozos...

Shadow_Ferret
02-26-2007, 05:12 PM
This is a highly subjective notion about the greatest agent. Yeah, it's fun, but what good is it going to do us?

You know what? We have a lot of discussions of that type here on AW. There's nothing wrong with speculation or having fun. Not every thread has to serve a concrete, useful purpose. Sometime silliness is allowed. I don't understand why some people get their nose out of joint over this one issue.

swvaughn
02-26-2007, 05:53 PM
I can tell you which agent is the unequivocable best...

The Last Samurai Agent! (http://pbackwriter.blogspot.com/2007/01/last-samurai-agent.html)

Oh yeah. Like, swords.

johnzakour
02-26-2007, 07:22 PM
My Agent's from Writers House and has a black belt in martial arts. Beat that!

Hi-yah!

Maprilynne

yeah, your agent could definately beat up my agent. ;-)

Maprilynne
02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Mr. Clean can't be beat, as the most powerful cleaning agent.

Okay, does anyone else find that the eff-ing funny? C'mon!

Maprilynne

johnzakour
02-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Okay, does anyone else find that the eff-ing funny? C'mon!

Maprilynne

Fine, Mr. Clean can probably clean and beat up (he does have those big arms) my agent also. Though my agent is pretty scrappy and I'm betting sells way more books than Mr. Clean. Which is really the important thing.

stormie
02-26-2007, 07:32 PM
I gave rllgthunder a rep for it.

triceretops
02-27-2007, 04:31 AM
You know what? We have a lot of discussions of that type here on AW. There's nothing wrong with speculation or having fun. Not every thread has to serve a concrete, useful purpose. Sometime silliness is allowed. I don't understand why some people get their nose out of joint over this one issue

I'm sorry, Shadow. I didn't mean it to come out like that. I actually did contribute by saying that I have always admired the one agent that I couldn't quite bond with; Richard Curtis. I'll add that William Morris also seems to be some type of uber agent that handles just about everything and, very well.

Tri