• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Aruna needs trial readers - as many as possible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Hello everyone!

Yesterday I made the decision to self-publish a book that has been a couple of decades in the making - Sons of Gods: the Mahabharata retold.

The Mahabharata, some of you may know, is the great Indian epic dating back thousands of years. The original Sanskrit work is several thousand pages long, making it the longest story ever written, but never fear - my version is the length of a novel.

I first read the Mahabharata in 1973, In India. It was the first and only book that kept me awake all night, reading. That edition was a huge fat book written by an Indian woman whose writing was atrocious: it was more suited for a ten year old, but the STORY kept me turning the pages.

After that, I set out on a mission to find a perfect Mahabharata. I read several versions, but there was something wrong with all of them. They were either dead boring, or badly written, or preachy, or scholarly, or too many Indian references, or something.

The best I found was the William Buck version, published by the University of California. His language is exquisite; but again, the story falls short. He does not have a clear storyline; he brings in lots of superfluous side stories, goes off on long tangents; and he left out several scenes I found vital to the main story. It's more on an academic work. So I had to dismiss that as well.

Long story short - sometime in the 70's I began writing my own version. I wrote a first draft, then put it away, pulled it out again. Sometimes it stayed hidden for several years. I typed it onto a PC in the late 90's. And kept working on it. Again and again; it was a labour of love. Maybe I was afraid of ever seeing it published; maybe I was afraid that my version, too, was not perfect. I kept thinking that someone else would get there before me, write a perfect version. But they haven't. And it won't ever happen, of course; perfection in writing just doesn't exist!

Yesterday I had a look at amazon.com and co.uk. I see that still, the only readable version is William Buck's - but even he is unreadable for "normal" reders who want a good story; he's far too literary. It's very high-brow, and ultimately boring. There are a few three-volume editions, but these are mostly direct translations and again unreadable for non-scholars. And expensive.

I wanted a short, readable, and exciting version that would be read by two groups of people: Hindus living in the West who speak English but are losing touch with this fabulous epic, which is the background of their cultural roots. I wanted them to be as fascinated as I first was, and connect back to that ancient culture.

And, I wanted non-Hindus, mainstream readers who just love a good read, to find and love it as well. This is just a great story and it's a pity that most Western readers simply don't know it - it's a part of world cultural heritage! So my aim was to make thie book first of all readable.

I did that by applying the techniques of novel-writing. I carved out a distinct storyline, made some changes for the sake of story, and kept the focus straight.

Now, I know that the work that I have will be eagerly read by Hindus, of which there are a couple million living in the West. I just want to know how someone not familiar with this culture and its myths, who haven't heard of these characters before, will react. Even when I read it the first time I had heard this and that story ffrom it, and was kindly disposed towards the culture. What's it like for a stranger? Will you find the story as great as I did, or will it leave you cold?

Here's a short synopsis:

Kunti, a princess of ancient India, bears a son, Karna, to the Sun God, Surya, and places it in a casket on the river. Later, Kunti marries a great king and has five other sons by five other gods, who grow up to be great heroes. However, their kingly house is split by rivarly when an evil cousin tries to become king. Karna returns, not knowing his true lineage, and sides with the evil prince, becoming his greatest friend and adviser. The royal house splits into two, the climax of the story being a civil war, with Karna fighting against his own half-brothers.

In the traditional version, Karna is merely a minor character, an underdog. I love him so much that I've focussed on him and made him the anti-hero, a good man fighting on the wrong side for the right reasons.

That's a very dry summary; in fact, it's all very Indian, flowery and emotional; I've tried to keep that element alive. It's also quite funny in parts, with a woman changing sex with a male goblin, the "good" champion becomg a eunuch for a year, five princes sharing one wife, magical weapons the equivalent of an atom bomb, and all kinds of quirky stuff.

If you're a Chirstian, you needn't be afraid of the "heathen" element - think of it as a fantasy story, perhaps, or mythology. I want as many non-Hindu trial readers as possible, just to find out: does this work for you?

Since this story stands as it is, you need not do a critique or look for flaws, except obvious typos etc. I only want to know if it works for Westerners. If it makes you keep turning the pages. Please be honest - if you can't read past page 1, then let me know! If it doesn't work for too many of you I'm going to focus on Indian readers alone; I have ways of reaching them.

I once pitched the story to my ex-agent, who said it was "unsaleable". I don't believe her; I think Hindus will be delighted with it but I don't think a normal Western publisher will be convinced; I want to prove it first, which is why I want to publish via Lulu.

I am going to use a pen name, Aruna Dasi, for this work. That's because my target readership probably won't believe that a non-Indian can get their beloved book right. But I know I can.

If you want to read the Word document (which is right now going through a new revision) please pm me your email address and I'll send. It's 100000 words.

Thanks to all my future guinea-pigs! And I'll be happy to return the favour.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested, too. I'm American but I work with many people from India, so I'd be interested in something which might help me connect better.

If you're initially looking for a "turn the page" test, you might want to consider posting an excerpt in the SYW forum.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I'd be interested, too. I'm American but I work with many people from India, so I'd be interested in something which might help me connect better.

If you're initially looking for a "turn the page" test, you might want to consider posting an excerpt in the SYW forum.

I'll do that - thanks! If you care to, pm me your mail address.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
FYI:

Here's an excerpt from an amazon review:

A book that everybody should read!, July 26, 2000
Reviewer: A reader
The Mahabharata is one of the biggest mysteries of humankind. A book written in a time where science had not established the limits of what is possible or not. A time where visitors from other planets came down from the sky in vessels and interact with humankind. (metaphorically, of course! A) A time where yogis had powers beyond our understanding and wars were fought with arrows empowered by mantras. (believe it or not - but it's fun!) A time where meditation was a common practice and science was not about matter but about soul and spirituality.

This is a war story. A war fought against warriors, which as samurais knew about honor, word, and values. A war in which as in any war, human values are put into consideration and the meaning of life and death is uncovered and exposed to the reader.

The Mahabharata is also one of the oldest, largest, and deepest books ever written by mankind. As the pyramids, or Stonehenge, it is a monument of the human intellect, and a legacy for future generations. However, an attempt for reading it is often overcome by its extension and complexity.

Last edited:

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, I loved your version. I would certainly read on. One of the reasons I read years ago a translation of Mahabharata (probably a translation based on William Buck's version, not sure now) was the magical weapons, equivalent of atomic bomb. Besides the story per se, I was interested at that time in the technology of magical/mythological weaponry abounding in fairy tales in the folklore of my old country as well as in the world's myths and legends (Ghilgamesh is one). I wrote a thesis at the university about this topic, arms/weaponry, or mythological, uncomprehensible characters, some even appearing in the Bible (see Enoch's story with the fiery angel), half-humans, half-gods. I was interested in the puzzling Vimana, flying machines/chariots of gods found in early Chinese, Korean and Indian texts (mostly in Vedic literature, in Rig Veda, Mahabharata, Ramayana and Puranas). I vaguely remember Agneyastra, weapons throwing flames ...

I didn't think of Kunti as a child. Nubile perhaps. "My child" is a way an old sage would address a youngster. And I made no connection between Kunti and the c-word. The name however brought to my mind Kunta Kinte (or Kunta Kunte), the central character of the novel Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley.

I am interested in your story and I will PM you. You did a splendid job, flowery, yes, but the prose flows and is appropriate to the text.

Adagio

P.S. I think I posted in the wrong thread. Should have been in SYW. Ah, well, too late ...

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Aruna, I loved your version. I would certainly read on. One of the reasons I read years ago a translation of Mahabharata (probably a translation based on William Buck's version, not sure now) was the magical weapons, equivalent of atomic bomb. Besides the story per se, I was interested at that time in the technology of magical/mythological weaponry abounding in fairy tales in the folklore of my old country as well as in the world's myths and legends (Ghilgamesh is one). I wrote a thesis at the university about this topic, arms/weaponry, or mythological, uncomprehensible characters, some even appearing in the Bible (see Enoch's story with the fiery angel), half-humans, half-gods.

Hello, Adagio!
Yes, I too love the weaponry. But especially, I love the attention and power given to words: words can have the power of weapons, as in that excerpt. Wise men grant boons or utter curses; and once spoken the words can never be repealed. You make a vow, you keep it, no matter what, even if the reason for making it no longer exists. You mother tells you casually to "share the alms", and those "alms" happen to be your wife; then she has to marry all five brothers!

So when a weapon is fired with a mantra it simply cannot fail; and I love the way that in this book the characters are forced to find ingenious ways of overcoming such absolute power.

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! This sounds like a very ambitious and creative project. I wish I had the courage to do stuff like this. I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I'm curious as to how you plan to market the book if you self-publish. Via Myspace?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Wow! This sounds like a very ambitious and creative project. I wish I had the courage to do stuff like this. I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I'm curious as to how you plan to market the book if you self-publish. Via Myspace?

I have close friends, an Englishman married to an Indian woman, who are the centrepoint of at least three Hindu groups. They have a huge email list of Indians, and organise meetings, evenings of singing, and all kinds of things. Their network is huge. The wife especially loved my first book and talked about it to all her friends. But thre Mahabharata being such a classic, I can imagine they would actively promote it. They are great promoters, and highly respected in the Hindu community. They also know several very rich and influential London-based Indians.
If I get their endorsement word of mouth wil do the rest. It's such an important book to Hindus that if even a few people read and like it they will talk. There are 500000 Hindus in England.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Done!

You can't imagine how difficult this was for me!
The funny thing is, the moment I sent it off, a mail from my agent plopped into my inbox - I hadn't heard form her in 10 days! It was like a sign..
Would have been more of a sign, of course, if the mail had contained some great news, but it was just an update. Anyway, now it;s out there. We shall see.

Last edited:

Troo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pantechnicon.net
Oh crikey. I can't remember who it was, but one author very recently has been releasing a series of books that are, basically, a re-told Mahabharata.

This is going to drive me crazy until I can remember his name...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Oh crikey. I can't remember who it was, but one author very recently has been releasing a series of books that are, basically, a re-told Mahabharata.

This is going to drive me crazy until I can remember his name...

A series? That sounds like he's retelling the whole darned thing! It's LONG!

I'd be the happiest person alive if someone brought out a really great Mahabharata, but I don't want the whole long story with all the meanderings; I really want the very essence of it, the central story, told in a way that brings out its great ethical lessons without preaching.

Troo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pantechnicon.net
He is indeed, and it certainly is!

I'll have to go into a bookshop and see if I can find them, since I can't remember either the author or the titles...

FergieC

Bored at work fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathferguson.co.uk
Sounds fascinating. I'm a westerner, but I'd definitely be interested to read on. I love all the stories and characters in eastern religions - the colour, characters and magic in them is like nothing we have in "our" philosophy. Also, they're always somehow more humane, even in the dark parts.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
He is indeed, and it certainly is!

I'll have to go into a bookshop and see if I can find them, since I can't remember either the author or the titles...

You don't mean Van Buitenan, do you? He wrote three thick volumes amd I think died before he could do the last one. They are enormous books and bvery scholarly, I used them actually as my source material (partially, at least). I was able to borrow the books from my library in Germany.

Troo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pantechnicon.net
Naw. They're very modern in the telling.

Ah, I may have gotten my wires crossed. It's the Ramayana, not the Mahabharata, and the author is Ashok K. Banker. Although I hear he is giving the Mahabharata the same treatment!

Finally I can stop straining!

Last edited:

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Hi Aruna,
I would be very interested in reading your work, if you still need some more readers?
I've loved anything to do with India since I was 15 yrs old and started reading books on Hinduism after my little sister died. I had a dream about Indian ladies and Elephants being with my little sister, 6 weeks after she'd died, it was sort of like a calling. I've also read the life story of Phoolan Devi and Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramhansa Yoganada, so I think I'm pretty qualified to read your work if you permit me to.

I am also a westerner, well, half English, half Polish, a bit of a mixture really LOL :)

Elodie

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, I'm partially into your work now. t doesn't quite read like a novel, I guess it has jumps and starts. You've written it more like a religious document. Were you trying to focus more on the story telling or more on a readable interpretation of the orginal work?

Status
Not open for further replies.