books with a lot of action

Status
Not open for further replies.

write2livelive2write

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

Can anyone recommend some fantasy novels that have a lot of well-written action? Thanks.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. I'd never read this till last year (shame on me)! I know it's a vamp novel and not strictly fantasy, but wow, can he do action. In particular, where the MC is in a station wagon fighting off several vamps so he can get into his house. It moves so fast and so brilliantly, for a moment I was in that station wagon kicking vamp butt.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
It's sf, but space opera, and not all that far from fantasy: Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. Her Chalion series is fantasy, but less action-oriented. But overall, her writing is superb, and we could all learn a great deal by studying her.

JD

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You can't go wrong with Roger Macbride Allen. Or Alan Dean Foster. They write some peachy keen sci-fi action. They write some solid stories around it too.

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
I'll put in another vote for Alan Dean Foster. The guy's good at what he does.

As far as action-based fantasy goes, R. A. Salvatore tends to have a lot of action, and his books are all right. He sure sells a lot of them.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'll put in another vote for Alan Dean Foster. The guy's good at what he does.

As far as action-based fantasy goes, R. A. Salvatore tends to have a lot of action, and his books are all right. He sure sells a lot of them.

Salvatore sells a lotta books. I never got into them, I'm afraid. I read his Star Wars novel Vector Prime, and haven't forgiven him yet for The Death He Wrought.

*grumble*

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
Hour of the Dragon by Robert E. Howard -- or any of his short stories. I'd also try a few of the historical authors, especially Steven Pressfield, David Anthony Durham, and Bernard Cornwell.

But REH is at the top of my list as far as action/fight sequences go.

Scott

SlowRain

Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend looking for some English translations of Louis Cha (aka Jin Yong), that is unless you speak Chinese. He writes some very descriptive martial arts passages.

Status
Not open for further replies.