• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

NASA: Nowak contingency plans revealed...

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Okay, leave it to NASA to give plans our astronauts can Depends on. From the AP, via CNN:
NASA's plan for unstable astronauts: Duct tape, tranquilizers

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (AP) -- What would happen if an astronaut became mentally unstable in space and, say, destroyed the ship's oxygen system or tried to open the hatch and kill everyone aboard?

That was the question after the apparent breakdown of Lisa Nowak, arrested this month on charges she tried to kidnap and kill a woman she regarded as her rival for another astronaut's affections.

It turns out NASA has detailed, written procedures for dealing with a suicidal or psychotic astronaut in space. The documents, obtained this week by The Associated Press, say the astronaut's crewmates should bind his wrists and ankles with duct tape, tie him down with a bungee cord and inject him with tranquilizers if necessary...
Story Highlights

• NASA has a plan for dealing with a mentally unstable astronaut in space
• Instructions: Bind the astronaut's wrists and ankles and tie them down
• Inject the out-of-control astronaut with tranquilizers if necessary
• A gun would not be used; a bullet could pierce a spaceship and kill everyone

Bungee cords, tranquilizers... I've heard of parties like that...

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't you know? Every problem can be solved with duct tape.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but the idea of bungee cords in a weightless environment . . . did anyone else get the giggles?

:D

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Great. This is going to lead to bondage in the name of mental instability in spaaaace.

I'm so confused. I have no idea what NASA actually does anymore. :)