PDA

View Full Version : A workshop opportunity

Azure Skye
02-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Or a class, I'm not sure what to call it.

I found a flyer today at a local coffee shop (where I wasn't wearing my Pretentious shirt or carrying a laptop). Anyway, a local columnist is giving a six week class on women writing for publication. Total time is 9 hours and cost is $129. I'm not sure if that is reasonable or not. Right now, I'm desperate to connect with other writers in person and this might be a good opportunity.

When I call the woman I'll ask about her qualifications and what direction she's going in (is this for freelancing or publication in general). What other questions might be good to ask? Any other advice or thoughts welcome.

veinglory
02-24-2007, 12:34 AM
I would start by googling her to see what easily accessable published works she has produced. If she writes in the same area as you it might well be worth it. If not, then perhaps not?

victoriastrauss
02-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Ask her why women writing for publication is any different from anyone else writing for publication.

I know this isn't helpful; it's just that I truly hate that gender division stuff.

- Victoria (feeling grumpy)

Azure Skye
02-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Ok, this is bizarre. I just found out who this woman is and I wonder why she didn't mention this to me since she knows I'm aiming for publication. Weird.

calamity
02-24-2007, 04:47 AM
hmm...not sure if I'd pay for a workshop--maybe there are some free ones you can join? I suppose the bonus of paying is that you might get writers who are more serious about their craft. But then again, never know...

Judg
02-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Assuming the teaching is competent, the price sounds reasonable to me.

But now you've got me curious. Are you more or less enthusiastic about the class now that you know who she is? Is she published?

Azure Skye
02-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Assuming the teaching is competent, the price sounds reasonable to me.

But now you've got me curious. Are you more or less enthusiastic about the class now that you know who she is? Is she published?

I'm less enthusiastic only because I know she's trying to get published or will be trying to get published. So that makes me wonder if I will get anything out of it. Her background is more in coaching and less in writing. Right now, I don't need a coach. I've proven to myself that I can finish what I start and have the discipline to edit, several times. What I need right now is a mentor who I can work with face to face. Unfortunately, I don't think this will do it for me; however, I will talk to her the next time I see her. It still might be a good place to network. Who knows? Always keep the door open, just a little.

Judg
02-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Hm, I understand your reservations. Teaching a class on writing for publication when she herself isn't there yet? Seems weird...