• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Helfa Literary Agency (Agencja Literacka Helfa)

Jack King

I found Helfa Literary Agency (Agencja Literacka Helfa) listed as a co-agent for several US and Canadian agencies and based in Poland. In 2005 I met Iza Garztecka (proprietor) of Helfa Literary Agency face-to-face at the Warsaw book expo. I commissioned her to find a Polish publisher for my novel, released in the US the previous year. Helfa sold the polish translation rights to Bellona Publishing House. I signed the agreement in September 2005. The Book came out July 2006.

Between September 2005 - December 2006, I kept asking Helfa to press the publisher for the advance that was supposed to be paid to me within 14 days of signing of the agreement.

Helfa kept replying: “we’re onto it”, “we’re working on it”… etc, and “meanwhile let us sell your second novel”. Boy, am I glad I did not let them! Just read on.

In the summer 2006 I got tired of this stalling and asked for a direct contact with the publisher so that I could give them a piece of my mind.

Helfa did not provide the contact and kept insisting they would take care of it for me.

Finally, in January of this year I emailed the main accountant in Bellona Publishing + several editors (and CCd Helfa on the letter) and here’s the reply I received:

“We’ve issued payment of the advance against royalties for PIATA MIEDZYNARODOWKA [Polish title of my novel] to Helfa Literary Agency to the sum of […] as per agreement on 19 October 2005 […]” Copy of the payment to Helfa follows.

October 2005! All this time Helfa has been lying to me.

After that letter Helfa suddenly vanished together with my advance: not replying to my emails, and snail mail bounces with notes: “this person does not work here”, or “this person does not live here” [in Polish].

Be advised folks.

Addresses this agency was using:

Helfa Literary Agency
Agencja Literacka Helfa
www.helfa.pl
[email protected]

Aleje Jerozolimskie 198f m 5
02-486 Warszawa

Aleje Jerozolimskie 195 m 5
02-486 Warsaw , Poland

Zielna 45/90
01-108 Warszawa, Poland