Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
"Potty Rules Mean Author Could Be Sued...for Paper Cuts."

Oh. Dear. God. I'm hoping there's more behind this story than is being reported. There must be. Surely.

An author published a book about World War I soldiers. He had sold about 1,000 copies of them in the Tourist Information Centre in Swindon, UK. But when they asked the Centre if they wanted more, they were told they would have to take out five million pounds of liability insurance, in case someone bought the book and then sued after getting paper cuts or dropping the book on their foot while on the premises and then sued the local council. Huh?!
:Wha:

OK, this is nuts. But are there times authors really should have liability insurance? For example, should diet book authors get liability insurance in case someone has health problems from their diet? What about authors who write instructional manuals for anything involving tools? And what about novelists? Surely they don't need liability insurance. I hope. :rolleyes:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
The story is slanted to make it look as silly as possible, but reading between the lines, I'll bet it's not quite so frivolous. I'm guessing that what's happening is that the town council requires its subcontrators and suppliers to have liability insurance--for perfectly understandable reasons--and that the process by which they buy or stock this guy's book places him in that category. It sounds to me like one of those odd situations where a rule makes perfect sense until it's applied to the one exception.

- Victoria

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You don't need liability insurance for diet books and things of that nature when a disclaimer will do just fine for you.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
One can never be too careful... that's why I got a $1mil umbrella policy. You know, just in case any of Henry VIII's direct descendents get any kookie idea that I made a killin' on that PublishAmerica book.

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.