Tarot Card/Rune thread.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
So, Wildscribe is kind of walking me through how she reads Tarot, and I'm thinking other people could use that kind of help.

This is a thread for all the Tarot/Rune reading questions you have. Or talk about your decks, or what spreads you do, or other Pre-cognition type of things.

I have two lovely decks; my Celtic one is really beautiful. I'm hoping once Wildscibe is finished tutoring me, I'll be able to use it!

K?
Maybe someone could start another thread for spells and potions? Make this Pagan forum a nice reference place?

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question. Some people use tarot cards to help with character development or plotting. Do you know of any good places/books to dig more into this idea?

Is that an ok question to ask on here? :D

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
All questions are ok! I don't know about that, but its an interesting idea. Like I said, I'm not the best reader, but hoping to learn. I think being taught by a person is better than trying to memorize or learn from a book. But that's me, some people do well with books.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly - Actually, I'd love to take a workshop or something on it...I think Tarot has appeal in multiple ways! :D

Thanks! If I have more questions, I'll pop by here.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I know card meanings are vast and many, but how do you find it best to adapt them to certain people/situations when you read them? I'm still learning with my cards (a lovely Dragon's deck), but I'm getting better every day.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
i've used an Aquarian deck for years, it's my favourite.

the most interesting deck i've seen is the Crowley deck -- unfortunately it was the German version, and I'm not that bright in German.

but i don't do readings any more -- except in special circumstances... readings exhaust me completely, both spiritually and mentally -- expecially when i read for more than one person in succession.

so my friends often end up nagging for weeks before i break down and read for them these days.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
I know card meanings are vast and many, but how do you find it best to adapt them to certain people/situations when you read them? I'm still learning with my cards (a lovely Dragon's deck), but I'm getting better every day.

the cards are just a tool, like words are a tool -- when you read the cards, you let go of the mundane the same way you must do when you write. you break down the walls of your limitations and accept the unthinkable -- just as you do when you write -- that you can see what is not seeable, that you can sense that which is not made of matter, that person in front of you is an open book...

you don't as much 'read' the cards, as pay attention to their energies, and how they make you feel, what images they 'send' you, etc.

good Tarot readers are highly empathetic, otherwise they could not receive this information -- you need to be able to tune in.

it helps to know the definitions of each card, but you could spend years learning the finer aspects of each deck, each card and each combination of cards... the interpretations you will learn from other readers will eventually change to suit you - as anything is, of course, subjective, and that includes divination... and writing :)

enjoy your journey!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I know card meanings are vast and many, but how do you find it best to adapt them to certain people/situations when you read them?

Think of the cards as more of a guide than a specific reference. For me, I find that it's intuitive. While pulling the World card may mean liberation and freedom for one person, it may mean the realization of Karmic lessons for another. Angelinity described it best -- you feel what the cards are telling you.

I have several decks, but my favorite for the last few years has been my Lord of the Rings deck. Next month, however, Llewellyn is releasing the Jane Austen Tarot deck, and I absolutely MUST get my paws on it. The artwork looks great, and of course you have Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet as the Lovers...

Anyway -- I love the idea of a thread for Tarot, as well as one for potions and spells. We need more action around here anyway, so this is as good a place as any to start :)

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Well, today I dragged out my old Rider deck. The first deck I ever bought. I flipped through them, studying the pictures.

I think it's a good first deck. After talking with you all and Wildscribe a little, I was able to pull a meaning from each card based on the images. I'm going to play around a little with them. I pulled some for myself, and three times got similar cards. Page of Cups kept coming up, as did the Hierophant.

I was kind of intrigued by the fact I got both Queen of Cups and Hanged Man. Two different readings, but they were in the same location in the spread - I pulled the Queen in the first, Hanged Man in the second. I think they both have to do with vision. The Cups cards are pretty easy to read, and some of the swords are self-explanatory. Like the three - three swords through a heart. Easy, eh? LOL

I hate to rely on the Rider deck, though, because I have the Celtic deck that I really want to use, and the pics aren't the same, obviously. They're much more esoteric, less obvious. WildScribe said she calls certain meanings by number - one is beginnings, two duality.

Anyone else do this? I've found I've been able to get the "Face" cards down based on suit and title - like Queen of Wands - Wands is the fire suit, so I see the Queen as a courageous woman with a strong personality. The King of Pentacles (earth and material things) as the epitome of a business man - good with money. Pages are usually messangers or young men. Knight of Swords - swords is a suit of might, Knights are protectors. That's how I've started to read them.

It's the number cards I have trouble with.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I read tarot, when I was learning I had a book that list all the meaning given in the main books. That was very helpful for seeing what the enduring meanings are and what has been added by each writer. After a while you get your own sense of what each card is saying to you,a and more of the reading comes from card interactiom IMHO not single card meanings.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
So what kind of spreads does everyone do? I usually do the celtic cross spread, it's what I learned so I know it by heart. It helps me keep everything in order.

(this reminds me, when I was in High School I had a friend who had a Cat People deck - it creeped me out.)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I do the Celtic Cross and the basic four card reading most often. I also use cards in conjunction with the altar and for meditation. I learned how to use them during my psychology training as a basis for introspection.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I used to do the Celtic cross spread, but I've found that keeping it simpler gives for better readings. I pull five to seven cards and line them up, and I don't bother with reversals because I've found that the messages in a reversed card seem to be incomplete. If someone wants more of an "overview" kind of reading, with past/present/future influences, I'll do three rows of five to seven.

I used to use a Cat People deck, and eventually it got to where I didn't even like to handle it. The vibrations on it were just Ick, no matter what i did. I still have it, but don't use it.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
So if you pull five cards, what do you 'assign' them? Do you know what I mean? Or do you just read the card as is? Because the CC spread gives meaning to the position as well as the card. Future, fears, family, etc.

I could do a simple three card spread - past, present, future.

I've given up with reversals too - it makes things over complicated. This is turning out to be most educational!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
The five cards present an overview of everything that's going on, as well as what the things are to come. They work together, so it's not like one represents past, the other is family, one is this thing or that. It's more like, because these are all appearing together as a group, here is how things are shaping up to be, if that makes sense?

The best way I can explain it is that the spread is like an outfit: the shoes are cute, the pants are great, and I love the bracelet, but they work better as a whole ensemble than as separate individual pieces.

I started doing this years ago when I'd pull three cards each morning and interpret them as how my day was going to go. As I got more experienced, i added cards and now I do five or seven. As I mentioned before, it's all intuitive, so it works. You just know how everything fits in with everything else.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Wow, how exhausting.
I spent most of the day looking over my two decks, making the connection between them, studying their faces so that I could associate their meaning with them in my head.

I felt the connection, almost like a pull. How tiring. Fun, but mentally draining. I'm going to start doing readings more often so I can get some practice. I'm going to practice a couple of different spreads too - I found a druid's star that looks good - I think it's a six or card draw.

Off to make some incense. I have to find a better way to store it though and display it for craft fairs.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am similar with a four card draw, it doesnt have a set structure although if the message is unclear I tend to read it is inner, outer, higher lower--as influences.

I use a mini Waite and a larger Eclipse deck.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I used to read professionally and have over a dozen decks. (Funny, the first deck I ever bought myself was a Cat People deck. It literally made me sick. I had to douse it with salt and throw it away.)

I use Hanson-Roberts the most; I used to use Connolly but it doesn't work as well for me anymore.

I can't get the Celtic Cross to work for me, though, I never have. I tend to do three-card readings with various interpretations the most. Sometimes I do monthly overviews or more complex readings, but I generally find the three-card is so flexible I use it as a base for everything. Past-present-future, mental-physical-spiritual, hidden-obvious-what to do, etc. And I can add extra cards to any position for clarification.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
you don't as much 'read' the cards, as pay attention to their energies, and how they make you feel, what images they 'send' you, etc.
good Tarot readers are highly empathetic, otherwise they could not receive this information -- you need to be able to tune in.
it helps to know the definitions of each card, but you could spend years learning the finer aspects of each deck, each card and each combination of cards...

And most people I know have a strong affinity for one deck or another.

I'm not the world's greatest Tarot reader, but I get really spot-on readings with my Voyager deck. Which I think is kind of interesting since almost everyone I know who's used it absolutely loathes it.

My sister designs Tarot cards; she's designing a deck to go with the novel I'm shopping.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
My sister designs Tarot cards; she's designing a deck to go with the novel I'm shopping.

that's really neat! maybe you can share some Major Aracana illustrations with us when they're ready?

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
when i do 'read', i prefer a 12-card spread - either in a line or in four tiers -- it's an intuitive choice, depending on the subject (as in 'Client'). sometimes i split the cards into a one-year time-scale, and sometimes i focus on a particular resolution to iexplore how the various forces/components might affect the outcome.

one of these readings can easily take over an hour, and if 'clarifying' cards are chosen, then it could be two hours... being steeped in these powerful energies, as well as dealing with the 'arrow' energies coming from the 'Client' can sap one's own reserves indeed...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I used to own several Tarot decks but like a lot of things I inexplicably threw them all out except for my Tarot of the Witches which I believe comes from one of the James Bond movies.

I used to have several books on Tarot too but they seem to have disappeared also. All I'm left with is Tarot, A New Handbook for the Apprentice by Eileen Connolly.

As far as runes, I have none, but I have two books about them. I'm just learning.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I want to go find a Harry Potter deck. LOL, do you think such a thing exists. It'd be a riot if it did. Voldemort as the Death card... Dumbledore as the Hermit. Gryffindors as Wand face cards, Hufflepuff for Cups, Ravenclaw for Coins, Slytherin for Swords.

It could SO work!

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
When I read I usually start with Past-Present-Future and clarify from there. Runes I'm kind of new to, but they've been pretty easy to work with, as long as I have my cheat sheet. Got some very pretty picture jasper ones at a metaphysical shop in Ohio several months ago.