PDA

View Full Version : Tarot Card/Rune thread.

Christine N.
02-23-2007, 05:18 AM
So, Wildscribe is kind of walking me through how she reads Tarot, and I'm thinking other people could use that kind of help.

This is a thread for all the Tarot/Rune reading questions you have. Or talk about your decks, or what spreads you do, or other Pre-cognition type of things.

I have two lovely decks; my Celtic one is really beautiful. I'm hoping once Wildscibe is finished tutoring me, I'll be able to use it!

K?
Maybe someone could start another thread for spells and potions? Make this Pagan forum a nice reference place?

giftedrhonda
02-23-2007, 03:30 PM
I have a question. Some people use tarot cards to help with character development or plotting. Do you know of any good places/books to dig more into this idea?

Is that an ok question to ask on here? :D

Christine N.
02-23-2007, 03:50 PM
All questions are ok! I don't know about that, but its an interesting idea. Like I said, I'm not the best reader, but hoping to learn. I think being taught by a person is better than trying to memorize or learn from a book. But that's me, some people do well with books.

giftedrhonda
02-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Exactly - Actually, I'd love to take a workshop or something on it...I think Tarot has appeal in multiple ways! :D

Thanks! If I have more questions, I'll pop by here.

TsukiRyoko
02-23-2007, 04:17 PM
I know card meanings are vast and many, but how do you find it best to adapt them to certain people/situations when you read them? I'm still learning with my cards (a lovely Dragon's deck), but I'm getting better every day.

Angelinity
02-23-2007, 04:23 PM
i've used an Aquarian deck for years, it's my favourite.

the most interesting deck i've seen is the Crowley deck -- unfortunately it was the German version, and I'm not that bright in German.

but i don't do readings any more -- except in special circumstances... readings exhaust me completely, both spiritually and mentally -- expecially when i read for more than one person in succession.

so my friends often end up nagging for weeks before i break down and read for them these days.

Angelinity
02-23-2007, 04:45 PM
I know card meanings are vast and many, but how do you find it best to adapt them to certain people/situations when you read them? I'm still learning with my cards (a lovely Dragon's deck), but I'm getting better every day.

the cards are just a tool, like words are a tool -- when you read the cards, you let go of the mundane the same way you must do when you write. you break down the walls of your limitations and accept the unthinkable -- just as you do when you write -- that you can see what is not seeable, that you can sense that which is not made of matter, that person in front of you is an open book...

you don't as much 'read' the cards, as pay attention to their energies, and how they make you feel, what images they 'send' you, etc.

good Tarot readers are highly empathetic, otherwise they could not receive this information -- you need to be able to tune in.

it helps to know the definitions of each card, but you could spend years learning the finer aspects of each deck, each card and each combination of cards... the interpretations you will learn from other readers will eventually change to suit you - as anything is, of course, subjective, and that includes divination... and writing :)

enjoy your journey!

PattiTheWicked
02-23-2007, 05:49 PM
I know card meanings are vast and many, but how do you find it best to adapt them to certain people/situations when you read them?

Think of the cards as more of a guide than a specific reference. For me, I find that it's intuitive. While pulling the World card may mean liberation and freedom for one person, it may mean the realization of Karmic lessons for another. Angelinity described it best -- you feel what the cards are telling you.

I have several decks, but my favorite for the last few years has been my Lord of the Rings deck. Next month, however, Llewellyn is releasing the Jane Austen Tarot deck, and I absolutely MUST get my paws on it. The artwork looks great, and of course you have Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet as the Lovers...

Anyway -- I love the idea of a thread for Tarot, as well as one for potions and spells. We need more action around here anyway, so this is as good a place as any to start :)

Christine N.
02-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Well, today I dragged out my old Rider deck. The first deck I ever bought. I flipped through them, studying the pictures.

I think it's a good first deck. After talking with you all and Wildscribe a little, I was able to pull a meaning from each card based on the images. I'm going to play around a little with them. I pulled some for myself, and three times got similar cards. Page of Cups kept coming up, as did the Hierophant.

I was kind of intrigued by the fact I got both Queen of Cups and Hanged Man. Two different readings, but they were in the same location in the spread - I pulled the Queen in the first, Hanged Man in the second. I think they both have to do with vision. The Cups cards are pretty easy to read, and some of the swords are self-explanatory. Like the three - three swords through a heart. Easy, eh? LOL

I hate to rely on the Rider deck, though, because I have the Celtic deck that I really want to use, and the pics aren't the same, obviously. They're much more esoteric, less obvious. WildScribe said she calls certain meanings by number - one is beginnings, two duality.

Anyone else do this? I've found I've been able to get the "Face" cards down based on suit and title - like Queen of Wands - Wands is the fire suit, so I see the Queen as a courageous woman with a strong personality. The King of Pentacles (earth and material things) as the epitome of a business man - good with money. Pages are usually messangers or young men. Knight of Swords - swords is a suit of might, Knights are protectors. That's how I've started to read them.

It's the number cards I have trouble with.

veinglory
02-23-2007, 06:26 PM
I read tarot, when I was learning I had a book that list all the meaning given in the main books. That was very helpful for seeing what the enduring meanings are and what has been added by each writer. After a while you get your own sense of what each card is saying to you,a and more of the reading comes from card interactiom IMHO not single card meanings.

Christine N.
02-23-2007, 06:36 PM
So what kind of spreads does everyone do? I usually do the celtic cross spread, it's what I learned so I know it by heart. It helps me keep everything in order.

(this reminds me, when I was in High School I had a friend who had a Cat People deck - it creeped me out.)

veinglory
02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
I do the Celtic Cross and the basic four card reading most often. I also use cards in conjunction with the altar and for meditation. I learned how to use them during my psychology training as a basis for introspection.

PattiTheWicked
02-23-2007, 06:41 PM
I used to do the Celtic cross spread, but I've found that keeping it simpler gives for better readings. I pull five to seven cards and line them up, and I don't bother with reversals because I've found that the messages in a reversed card seem to be incomplete. If someone wants more of an "overview" kind of reading, with past/present/future influences, I'll do three rows of five to seven.

I used to use a Cat People deck, and eventually it got to where I didn't even like to handle it. The vibrations on it were just Ick, no matter what i did. I still have it, but don't use it.

Christine N.
02-23-2007, 06:46 PM
So if you pull five cards, what do you 'assign' them? Do you know what I mean? Or do you just read the card as is? Because the CC spread gives meaning to the position as well as the card. Future, fears, family, etc.

I could do a simple three card spread - past, present, future.

I've given up with reversals too - it makes things over complicated. This is turning out to be most educational!

PattiTheWicked
02-23-2007, 06:50 PM
The five cards present an overview of everything that's going on, as well as what the things are to come. They work together, so it's not like one represents past, the other is family, one is this thing or that. It's more like, because these are all appearing together as a group, here is how things are shaping up to be, if that makes sense?

The best way I can explain it is that the spread is like an outfit: the shoes are cute, the pants are great, and I love the bracelet, but they work better as a whole ensemble than as separate individual pieces.

I started doing this years ago when I'd pull three cards each morning and interpret them as how my day was going to go. As I got more experienced, i added cards and now I do five or seven. As I mentioned before, it's all intuitive, so it works. You just know how everything fits in with everything else.

Christine N.
02-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Wow, how exhausting.
I spent most of the day looking over my two decks, making the connection between them, studying their faces so that I could associate their meaning with them in my head.

I felt the connection, almost like a pull. How tiring. Fun, but mentally draining. I'm going to start doing readings more often so I can get some practice. I'm going to practice a couple of different spreads too - I found a druid's star that looks good - I think it's a six or card draw.

Off to make some incense. I have to find a better way to store it though and display it for craft fairs.

veinglory
02-23-2007, 11:47 PM
I am similar with a four card draw, it doesnt have a set structure although if the message is unclear I tend to read it is inner, outer, higher lower--as influences.

I use a mini Waite and a larger Eclipse deck.

Stacia Kane
02-24-2007, 01:35 AM
I used to read professionally and have over a dozen decks. (Funny, the first deck I ever bought myself was a Cat People deck. It literally made me sick. I had to douse it with salt and throw it away.)

I use Hanson-Roberts the most; I used to use Connolly but it doesn't work as well for me anymore.

I can't get the Celtic Cross to work for me, though, I never have. I tend to do three-card readings with various interpretations the most. Sometimes I do monthly overviews or more complex readings, but I generally find the three-card is so flexible I use it as a base for everything. Past-present-future, mental-physical-spiritual, hidden-obvious-what to do, etc. And I can add extra cards to any position for clarification.

Jenan Mac
02-24-2007, 07:30 AM
you don't as much 'read' the cards, as pay attention to their energies, and how they make you feel, what images they 'send' you, etc.
good Tarot readers are highly empathetic, otherwise they could not receive this information -- you need to be able to tune in.
it helps to know the definitions of each card, but you could spend years learning the finer aspects of each deck, each card and each combination of cards...

And most people I know have a strong affinity for one deck or another.

I'm not the world's greatest Tarot reader, but I get really spot-on readings with my Voyager deck. Which I think is kind of interesting since almost everyone I know who's used it absolutely loathes it.

My sister designs Tarot cards; she's designing a deck to go with the novel I'm shopping.

Angelinity
02-24-2007, 09:45 AM
My sister designs Tarot cards; she's designing a deck to go with the novel I'm shopping.

that's really neat! maybe you can share some Major Aracana illustrations with us when they're ready?

Angelinity
02-24-2007, 09:53 AM
when i do 'read', i prefer a 12-card spread - either in a line or in four tiers -- it's an intuitive choice, depending on the subject (as in 'Client'). sometimes i split the cards into a one-year time-scale, and sometimes i focus on a particular resolution to iexplore how the various forces/components might affect the outcome.

one of these readings can easily take over an hour, and if 'clarifying' cards are chosen, then it could be two hours... being steeped in these powerful energies, as well as dealing with the 'arrow' energies coming from the 'Client' can sap one's own reserves indeed...

Shadow_Ferret
02-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I used to own several Tarot decks but like a lot of things I inexplicably threw them all out except for my Tarot of the Witches which I believe comes from one of the James Bond movies.

I used to have several books on Tarot too but they seem to have disappeared also. All I'm left with is Tarot, A New Handbook for the Apprentice by Eileen Connolly.

As far as runes, I have none, but I have two books about them. I'm just learning.

Christine N.
02-24-2007, 04:34 PM
I want to go find a Harry Potter deck. LOL, do you think such a thing exists. It'd be a riot if it did. Voldemort as the Death card... Dumbledore as the Hermit. Gryffindors as Wand face cards, Hufflepuff for Cups, Ravenclaw for Coins, Slytherin for Swords.

It could SO work!

Jenan Mac
02-25-2007, 12:28 AM
that's really neat! maybe you can share some Major Aracana illustrations with us when they're ready?

Wish I could-- she'd kill me! She's still tweaking.

Jenan Mac
02-25-2007, 12:31 AM
When I read I usually start with Past-Present-Future and clarify from there. Runes I'm kind of new to, but they've been pretty easy to work with, as long as I have my cheat sheet. Got some very pretty picture jasper ones at a metaphysical shop in Ohio several months ago.

Robin
02-25-2007, 08:01 AM
That is so odd that everyone gets weird vibes from the Cat People deck! I've owned a deck since high school and thought the cards were beautiful, but they never seemed to talk to me.

I have a Waite deck, and a Thoth deck I bought for DH when we were dating, but I think I'm just tarot illiterate. :Shrug:

PattiTheWicked
02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I want to go find a Harry Potter deck. LOL, do you think such a thing exists. It'd be a riot if it did. Voldemort as the Death card... Dumbledore as the Hermit. Gryffindors as Wand face cards, Hufflepuff for Cups, Ravenclaw for Coins, Slytherin for Swords.

It could SO work!

I found this a while back, and it's totally great: http://www.nasubionna.net/tarot/

They're not for sale, but very well done. There also used to be a "Peanuts Arcana" site, with Snoopy and Lucy and the gang, which was really neat, but it appears to no longer exist.

This is the deck that is screaming my name right now: http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/book.php?pn=H059

inanna
02-25-2007, 08:11 PM
I have several decks, but the one I use the most these days is the Thoth.

The best book on working with tarot cards is, IMO, Tarot for Yourself by Mary K. Greer. It teaches how to use your intuition rather than rely on cookie-cutter interpretations. It's perfect for beginners, but I still refer to it all the time.

My favorite online deck at the moment is The Vertical Oracle (http://www.verticalpool.com/oracle.html). It's not based on the traditional tarot major and minor arcanas, but the underlying archetypes are all there. The thing is uncannily accurate, too. If you scroll down the page I linked to, there's another link that will take you to the free readings. I'm buying this one just as soon as I've got the funds.

wyntermoon
02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
T Next month, however, Llewellyn is releasing the Jane Austen Tarot deck, and I absolutely MUST get my paws on it. The artwork looks great, and of course you have Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet as the Lovers...

Oh, this sounds lovely!

My favorite personal deck is the Old English but my "working" deck is the Universal Waite. My clients are more familiar with their pictures so it's easier for them to relate when I give readings.

I have used the cards for help with plotlines before, I became more focused as it also opened up other avenues for characters that I hadn't thought of.

*heads off to Llewellyn website for a peek*

Christine N.
02-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Pretty cards! (And I did find someone who was making a Harry Potter deck, but hasn't finished them yet. She can't sell them anyway, obviously)

I think my problem with reading is performance anxiety. What if I get it wrong?! Ahhh!

I'm slowly getting over it; I'm still having problem divining what some of the cards mean. And I think I just really do better with the Celtic Cross, it's very comfortable to em. I might try the three card draws in the morning to get a feel for them.

But here's a question, and maybe I'm just thick - could two people pull the same cards and read them differently? Or would the readings be pretty close? I'm just cuious. I mean I know what most of the cards say to me, but they might not say that to everyone. Right now my readings are SO vague. I'm reading myself, so I know what they mean to me, but I'd hesitate to read for anyone else.

Ok, so I'll post what cards I pulled, and I'd like to get your input. I'm curious as to what other people would read these as.

Celtic Cross spread-

1(over signifcator) Six of Wands
2(cross ways) Temperance
3(above)Eight of wands
4(below) Seven of Wands
5 (behind)Ten of Wands
6(ahead) the Magician
Four along the side (bottom to top)
7 Four of Swords
8 Hanged Man
9 Two of Wands
10 Ace of Wands

To me it's a pretty darn good spread - all those wands. And I was concentrating on the writing career thing (like the six of wands didn't clue you in, eh?)

But what do YOU read these as?

PattiTheWicked
02-26-2007, 04:04 AM
I pulled these cards and deliberately laid them out in the same order you got, and here's what I'm seeing:

6 of Wands: This indicates a turning of the tide, and for the better. There may have been a long dry period, followed by some event that turned everything around.

Temperence: Balance and patience. This is where there's finally a payoff, a balancing of the scales.

8 of wands: This is not only hope, but also new relationships. Someone or something has come into your life that's going to beneficial to you from an "ambition" standpoint -- perhaps someone who can advance you in business.

7 of Wands: Normally, I see this as an inner strength card. But in your case, what I'm feeling is that other people may be looking to you for leadership or decision making.

10 of wands: Shouldering of burdens. There may be or have been some sort of heavy responsibility, but that's either been lifted or is about to be.

Magician: The mage is the master of the elements, and also your creative spark. When he comes up, I see this as you gaining control of your inspiration and your muse, and harnessing everything to make it all work together.

4 of swords: This is the calm after the storm. You've had some conflicts and problems, but everything is beginning to resolve and you can relax a bit now.

Hanged Man: More balance, but in this particular case I see it as the beginning of a transformation. Whatever growth you've been needing to do, now is the time when it's going to kick in.

2 of wands: This is a unity card, new partnerships and endeavors. In your case, I definitely see this as a symbol of contractual agreements.

Ace of wands: One of those energy cards that you can't ignore. This is just screaming to me that there's something new coming into your life, and it's going to have a positive impact on you.

Six wand cards definitely means big change ahead for you from a business standpoint. Now's the time to really focus on your work. On a whim, I pulled an 11th card for you, and got the Knight of Coins. What I see with this one is that there may be a man in your life who has some good advice for your regarding money and investment -- I think you'd be wise to listen to him, even if your first thought is to ignore what he says. Pay attention to whoever he may be, because he may well save you from financial mistakes that will be costly to you in the long run.

A lot of the results with reading are intuitive. Handle your cards as often as possible, look at them, not only SEE what they say but FEEL it, and you'll become more adept fairly soon. Two years ago I sucked at cards and divination in general, but I put about six months of actual study into it and now I'm usually spot-on.

Christine N.
02-26-2007, 04:18 AM
Thank you! What I had was a bit more rudimentary than that, but basically what I saw too. All those wands couldn't be anything but good.

Oh, I'm so pleased. I was trying to concentrate on the two partials and one full I have out.

Jenan Mac
02-26-2007, 07:43 PM
But here's a question, and maybe I'm just thick - could two people pull the same cards and read them differently? Or would the readings be pretty close? I'm just curious.

I think there's going to be different nuances. My description of how they'd overlap and not overlap is sort of Venn Diagram-my, though. I'd expect maybe a fifty to seventy percent overlap, depending on who the readers are.

veinglory
02-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I read not only the cards but the person, their question and my intuition. So compared to another reader or someone going of a strict intepretation a la Crowley or something like that the readings might have almost nothing in common. I see the cards as a conduit not a source.

Jenan Mac
02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
It's a very phoenix-y reading. Lots of transformation and balancing, and clarification. Achieving what you seek by letting go of all the trappings. Face fears, burn away excess, and illuminate the heart of the real. Sort of editing the situation (but not editing a specific work). And a lot of trust in the universe, that things will come out where they should even though it looks like you're headed the wrong way-- going east to get west. It's all looking very positive, and terribly Zen.

PattiTheWicked
02-26-2007, 08:48 PM
I read not only the cards but the person, their question and my intuition. So compared to another reader or someone going of a strict intepretation a la Crowley or something like that the readings might have almost nothing in common. I see the cards as a conduit not a source.

Exactly. I could lay out those same ten cards for a different person, and get very different images. A thorough reading means not just interpreting the cards, but how those cards apply to the querent.

WildScribe
02-26-2007, 09:04 PM
I loooooove Mary Greer, she is amazing. I met her last weekend - lovely lady.

Anyway, I generally read three cards to give me an overview of the question. Sometimes I pull more if I feel the need, and while I never read reversals, I always read any cards that fall out of the deck when I am shuffling. ;)

Christine N.
02-27-2007, 03:40 AM
It's a very phoenix-y reading. Lots of transformation and balancing, and clarification. Achieving what you seek by letting go of all the trappings. Face fears, burn away excess, and illuminate the heart of the real. Sort of editing the situation (but not editing a specific work). And a lot of trust in the universe, that things will come out where they should even though it looks like you're headed the wrong way-- going east to get west. It's all looking very positive, and terribly Zen.

Ha! That's funny. Today I pulled myself a lovely four of cups today - dissatisaction! So I knew it was coming.

Rejection. BUT not a total rejection. She was dissatisfied with it, but didn't hate it. She suggested revisions... so today I'm editing the manuscript and implementing her changes.

It was cool.

Carole
02-28-2007, 04:13 PM
I also have a beautiful Celtic deck, but it's so large that I can't handle it comfortably. I always go back to my Universal Waite. I'm sort of a collector of decks, though. I have several that I've only used once or twice. I think, at least for me, you develop a relationship with a certain deck.

Something else is that I don't think standard interpretations are always standard. I have a different way of reading than my husband does, although there are certain cards that we agree on. In time, I think we all develop our own interpretations.

Christine N.
02-28-2007, 05:35 PM
That cat still creeps me out, Carole :D

Stacia Kane
02-28-2007, 05:43 PM
I have:

Tarot of Northern Shadows (I love it, but it doesn't always work well for me)
Thoth (still getting to know it)
Gothic Tarot (gorgeous)
Ramses Tarot (eh)
Whimsical Tarot (yay! love it, it's so cute and fun!)
Enchanted Tarot (eh)
Faerie Ring (Good)
Connolly (I used to use it exclusively, but not so much anymore. It has a heavily Christian aspect to it.)
Hansen-Roberts (I use this one now by default. I don't know why, as I was never a fan, but I dreamed about it one night and have used it ever since)
Druidcraft Tarot (lovely!)
Canon Reed Witches Tarot (very nice.)
Gendron (eh)
Tarot of the Druids (eh. Accurate but not so attractive.)
Intuitive Tarot (haven't worked with it enough)
and that one with all the yes/no symbols and interpretive stuff, including blank cards, that I can't find the book for and so don't recall the name.

The Whimsical deck, btw, is wonderful for older children to learn on.

Wow, I didn't realize I have so many!

Robin
03-01-2007, 02:09 PM
I have a question. Some people use tarot cards to help with character development or plotting. Do you know of any good places/books to dig more into this idea?

This site has a few different spreads to try:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/spreads/writers_artists.shtml

And this is the lady who used her tarot cards for NaNoWriMo last year:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=96

Jenan Mac
03-01-2007, 05:58 PM
so today I'm editing the manuscript and implementing her changes.

Well, that's a suitable occupation for retro Mercury, anyway. :)

Jenan Mac
03-01-2007, 06:02 PM
I have the problem with the Voyager deck being too large, so I have to shuffle and deal them sideways.
Aside from that I have an Ukiyoe deck and I think Witches' Tarot, which I don't often use just because they were hand-me-downs and don't feel acclimated to me yet. The Ukiyoe deck has great artwork. I have no idea why I bought it; I'm not particularly a Japanophile, but they talked me into it.
I also have a deck of Goddess cards, with Susan Seddon Boulet artwork on them. They're not tarot, but they make good "card a day" sort of readings-- and I like her stuff, in general.

Moon Daughter
03-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Well, today I dragged out my old Rider deck. The first deck I ever bought. I flipped through them, studying the pictures.

I think it's a good first deck.

Many years ago I became interested in divinations tools, from crystal quartz to tarot cards. I picked up my first and only deck about three years ago...the Rider-Waite deck. I just wanted to say I agree with Christine's post. It's a very great deck for beginners. They're much easier to read, IMO.

Anthony Ravenscroft
03-11-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm interested in finding someone who's done work using the Tarot in a way similar to Buckland's candle-magick rituals.

While it'd be nice to find anyone who even knows what I'm talking about -- ;) -- my core interest is to find a person who's been doing this work for a decade or more, who has extensive notes with illustrations, & has plenty of custom client-based examples.

I'd also enjoy seeing posts from people who don't think the Tarot is some sort of gospel. For instance, why aren't there five suits? Why do so many people fear & shun reversed cards? Who uses obscure variants like the De Es cards? How would you read the cards if they were square?

Christine N.
03-12-2007, 03:18 AM
Personally, I hate reversed cards because they're just a PITA. I do it for simplicity - there are pleny of cards in the deck that say the same thing right side up as another one might upside down.

I don't think it's some kind of gospel. But I do enjoy pulling cards and watching the results unfold as time progresses. I used that four of cups example, because it told me I would get something dissatisfying during the course of my day. At least one of the other cards was a wand, which relates to my creative life= most likely writing. Usually the first card I pull tells me what the reading is going to be about - like I got a two of cups, and knew it was going to have to do with an issue my husband and I are united on, but that has nothing to do with our 'husband and wife' lives.

Guide, not gospel, at least to me.

There are four suits because there are four elements, and each suit relates to an element - Wands= fire, Cups=water. Swords=air, pentacles/coins=earth. Knowing how the elements relate to aspects of the human condition (Water for emotions, for example) and how the suits relate to the elements makes the reading easier to 'dial in'.

I don't understand the question about square cards. I think cards are the shape they are because they're easier to hold. If round ones were easier to hold, they'd probably be round.

inanna
03-12-2007, 05:53 AM
I'm interested in finding someone who's done work using the Tarot in a way similar to Buckland's candle-magick rituals.

While it'd be nice to find anyone who even knows what I'm talking about -- ;) -- my core interest is to find a person who's been doing this work for a decade or more, who has extensive notes with illustrations, & has plenty of custom client-based examples.

I'd also enjoy seeing posts from people who don't think the Tarot is some sort of gospel. For instance, why aren't there five suits? Why do so many people fear & shun reversed cards? Who uses obscure variants like the De Es cards? How would you read the cards if they were square?

In regards to reversals, I don't shun them. I tend to see them as an opportunity to explore a card's shadow aspects. Depending on its position and the surrounding cards, a reversal may also indicate an energy blockage. It's just something I like to play by ear; I don't really see set interpretations as reliable. That makes reversals a greater challenge, and maybe that's why some people won't work with them. But really, to me tarot is a psychological tool more than anything else, in which case there's really no "wrong" answer. So I'm happy to wing it.

As far as spellwork goes, I'm not sure if this helps in your search (you're looking to interview a person?), but this book (http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Spells-Llewellyns-New-Age/dp/0875426700/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/102-2539364-1888968) is pretty straightforward, and incorporates a lot of simple candle magic.

Moon Daughter
03-12-2007, 07:36 AM
I know the "original" tarot cards are actually playing (poker) cards...which to me makes sense that there would be four main categories: wands, swords, cups, and pentacles. I also agree with Christine on how it's not gospel, but a guide. I don't understand how one would think of it as gospel, considering the fact that tarot cards aren't truths, but possible outcomes. But then again, many faiths don't rely on pure facts, but beliefs, and praise gospel on that alone. As for why there isn't five suits instead of four...why isn't there six or seven? For tarots, four seems to just be the way to go...it fits. Err, sorry if my words aren't coming out correctly. I know what I want to say in my head, but I can't seem to get the words out right.

Anthony Ravenscroft
03-12-2007, 09:38 AM
There are so many assumptions with Tarot because "that's the way it's always been" -- & I'm an oldtimer from back when we started to ask "...but whyyyy?"

If the cards were supposed to be easy-to-hold, they'd mostly be the size of playing cards. The great majority are larger, some ridiculously so.

For decades, physics has been working with five post-Platonic elements, because "plasma" doesn't fit the classic four at all well.

USGS has (at times at least) produced decks for the two games using the Tarot: Tarocci & Tarock (the latter's still played in remote regions of Minnesota by very old men).

This forum's for Tarot & runestones... which, far as I can tell, don't have a whole lot in common except having been commercialised somewhat. There are some fascinating non-Tarot fortunetelling decks, like the one De Es designed a couple of decades ago.

Back in the 1980s, there was a book of alternate layouts that were very useful. It was published by Morgan & Morgan, illustrated with a Morgan-Greer deck, & the author was working from a Jungian basis (no, not Wang's nonsense, which is just another rehash of the usual stuff). It was fairly slim, maybe 150 pages. I doubt it's the Gerulskis-Estes book; I think it might be The Tarot & You. For the life of me, I can't remember anything else, & would appreciate info if anyone comes across it.

Christine N.
03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Tarot and runestones are both divination tools. You could add the I Ching if you wanted :) I think some decks are really just larger for show.

And plasma has been an "element" for decades, but Tarot is centuries old. Just a classical usage, I think. Four is also a number of balance and you can draw a circle with four, which is sybolizes the wheel of life as well as the 'sixth sense' in the pentacle.

Just MHO.

Stacia Kane
03-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I never view any tarot meanings as gospel--there can be so many meanings, and so much depends on intuition and feeling.

In my Connoly deck I always saw The Empress in a bad light. I don't know why. But she was usually The Other Woman, or a nasty boss, or something like that. In my Hanson-Roberts deck she fits the classical meaning most of the time. In some of my decks the cards mean different things. That's just the way it goes. All decks have a different "feel" so the way I read them is different too.

Christine N.
03-12-2007, 07:10 PM
And lately I've been doing writer readings, and see the Empress/Emperor as someone who could be in charge of a writer's career - agent, or in the case of my friend who's book was being looked at by film companies, I saw the Emperor as someone bigger - like a producer. (never mind the fact that two days later a producer from Sony Films was reading her book...)

I have a partial with a 'big' agent - and when I ask about that, I almost always pull the Empress. so there ya go.

Moon Daughter
03-12-2007, 07:43 PM
While using tarot cards, you really have to use your intuition because most of the cards have opposite meanings, even when the card isn't reversed. Of course I am no pro at reading tarot cards, just an ignorant amateur.

Has anyone else ever heard of the "rule" where you're not supposed to buy your own tarot cards? I'm not sure if I'd agree with it because I'd think the reader would want to feel comfortable with their cards and choose the tarot cards they feel suits them and their mind best.

Christine N.
03-12-2007, 09:33 PM
I heard that too - they're supposed to be a gift. I never adhered to it- I bought both my decks. A present to myself :D

Moon Daughter
03-13-2007, 12:26 AM
I heard that too - they're supposed to be a gift. I never adhered to it- I bought both my decks. A present to myself :D

Right on! I mean...how is the "gifter" going to know what you feel comfortable with anyways unless you tell them? Hmm, let's say if I told my man to get me a certain deck, would that be cheating the system? :D

Christine N.
03-13-2007, 12:53 AM
I want to choose my own deck, and all the people I've talked to say it's a wives' tale that you shouldn't buy your own deck.

Check this place out House of Tarot (http://www.houseoftarot.com)

They have a Fairytale deck. I LOVE fairytales - I think I've found my next deck! They even have a beautiful Manga tarot.

Stacia Kane
03-13-2007, 04:11 PM
I always like this place:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/

Because they have reviews and images from more than a couple of cards, and they seem to cover everything. Their forums are really helpful too.

Christine N.
03-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for that! They had a review of the deck I want, and some other cards, AND a link to the deck itself. It's gorgeous.

I definitely want this deck. I'm getting better at the Rider deck, and I have the Celtic deck, but it doesn't speak to me the way the Rider one does. Maybe I just have to work with it more - put them side by side to see.

But this deck (http://www.fairytaletarot.com)DOES speak to me. Maybe it's some weird fantasy children's writer thing. Looking at the cards, some of them I could link in my head to the rider deck right away. Like I said, I adore fairy tales. House of Tarot has it cheaper than the deck site.

Ha! Today I dug out a little pouch I made for Renaissance faires; my deck fits right in there. I'll have to make some more.

It'll be my Beltane gift to myself :)

Moon Daughter
03-14-2007, 06:57 AM
Beltane, huh? I love that holiday. My best friend got married on Beltane...which makes a lot of sense to me.

I find the Rider deck very easy to read. I've seen a few other decks, but I feel most comfortable with Rider-Waite. My man uses the Dragon deck. I tried using them, but I find them confusing!

Stacia Kane
03-14-2007, 02:33 PM
I admit, I use aeclectic tarot for research and buy the decks off Amazon as a rule. I'm all about the bargains. :)

I find this so interesting, because I've never been able to get doodly out of the Rider deck. It wasn't until I started using first Connolly, then H-R and others, that tarot really started to come alive for me.

Mandy-Jane
03-14-2007, 02:39 PM
My husband bought my deck for me. And I have to say, I just love it. It's the Rider-Waite deck, but it's perfect for me, because he bought it when I was just learning. My tarot teacher said that was a good thing, because they were "bought with love". And I really do love them. I feel it every time I use them.

PattiTheWicked
03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Someone gave me a deck as a gift once, and honestly, I never connected to it. It's still sitting in a pouch in my cabinet, and I rarely even look at it. I have several decks that I've bought myself.

The whole "never buy your own cards" thing I suspect stems from the rather annoying concept that it's bad to do things for yourself. It's the same fluffy school of thought that says you should never cast spells on your own behalf, only do them for other people. It's a bunch of hooey. If I don't buy myself things I want, why should anyone else buy them for me?

Your mileage may vary.

Nicole_Gestalt
03-22-2007, 09:07 PM
The 'rule' of not buying your own deck comes from a long time ago I did once know the real reason but it is presently not presenting to me. It was something to do with the idea that the deck was meant to be passed down from mother to daughter (or from family member to family member) and since it was usual to only have one 'wise person' per village then that sort of made sense as anyone with a deck that wasn't pased down must have been a fraud (which is obviously not the case nowadays. However belief in the rule depends on the person beleiving where the tarot cards came from as there are many different schools of thought to the origin of the cards and also how long they have been around. If my memory was better at present I could explain better to everyone but it has large holes in it currently.

As for myself I don't have any sets i've bought myself but thats mainly because I have connected with the ones I have so well I don't feel the need to get another set.

Saint Fool
03-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Learned the basics with Rider and Eden Grey's Tarot Revealed, but after a friend did a reading for me a couple of years ago with the Osho Zen (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/osho-zen/) deck, I switched over to it. (The art work spoke to me ... it did. It really did. LOL)

Seriously, it's a difficult deck to learn but I've found it useful and spiritually rewarding. There are some interesting variations on card layouts in the book that comes with it.

So ... does anyone let the subject of their readings deal the cards? Just curious.

Stacia Kane
03-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Nope. Nobody touches my cards but me.

Christine N.
03-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Nope.

rugcat
03-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Personally, I hate reversed cards because they're just a PITA. I do it for simplicity - there are pleny of cards in the deck that say the same thing right side up as another one might upside down.
I have an Italian deck, the Piedmont deck ((Tarocchi Piemontesi), which my father got in Europe in the 1950's and passed down to me. I love this deck, and haven't seen many around like it. And what I like most is that the Major Arcana and court cards are double headed--and the minor cards are designed to be completely symmetrical. No such thing as a reversed card in this deck.

FalconDance
04-04-2007, 02:31 AM
Wow, so much to read and think on....

I use the Witches deck (the one with the pent on the back of the cards, different from the other witch's deck which I think is fugly) almost exclusively these days. They're getting a bit worn and my former purr-baby left a few teeth marks on some of the cards, but they 'speak' to me best. A friend heard me mention wanting to have a dragon deck (some day) and so she gave me one - but I feel NO connection to it whatsoever. runes are her thing, so it's a little difficult to explain to her why I don't use the cards she lovingly gave me. Husband has a Celtic deck (too big to be comfy for me) which is beautiful and reads internal issues like you wouldn't believe! I gave daughter her first deck, the Connely (reminds me of stained glass pictures) and she can read it, but I think she's only semi-drawn to it, really.

As I explain to the readee, the cards are tools, I'm the mediator/interpreter and the reading is really only a snapshot take on any given situation. He or she remains completely free and able to change the outcome. Oh, and the Death card does not mean the Grim Reaper is galloping to your doorstep tonight! (stereotypical misinterpretation - thanks Hollywood!)

I never ask what the question is: I'd rather not know. That way there is no possible way I can sway the energies/reading.

While this deck doesn't recognize reversed meanings, every once in a blue moon, a card will reverse and then I'm foced to think on what the message might be. (I always shuffle upright, so reversal is not an normal occurence.)

I lay the cards exclusively, but the reader may 'cut' the deck if they want. It's an attuning. I also allow a trusted few others read with my deck. I figure if I'm not enough of a witch to cleanse my cards of any stray juju, I ought not be 'in the business'.

PattiTheWicked
04-04-2007, 03:10 AM
I've been toodling around with my new Jane Austen deck, and I'm enjoying "getting to know" the cards immensely. It's an interesting concept -- each card has artwork which contains characters and scenes from one of Austen's six novels. If you're familiar with her work, it's very easy to interpret the card based on the picture.

Tonight I'm doing a phone reading for someone I've never met -- this is something completely new for me. I'll be using my well worn and much-handled LOTR deck for this one.

I lay the cards exclusively, but the reader may 'cut' the deck if they want. It's an attuning. I also allow a trusted few others read with my deck. I figure if I'm not enough of a witch to cleanse my cards of any stray juju, I ought not be 'in the business'.

Absodamnlutely.

Christine N.
04-06-2007, 05:50 AM
I've done three card readings (which turned into four cards when I needed more info) for two people who I only know online, and both have been very revealing. I always shuffle, then lay my hand on the deck and focus on that person. It's gotten so that I can tell when I'm connected. I used to only do Celtic Cross, now I can pull three or four cards and get a good idea of what's going on.

I'm still using my Rider Waite deck. And you know I've had them for a couple of decades and never really been able to read cards until just a couple of months ago. Now I feel like I 've been doing it for much longer. There are still a couple of cards that I have trouble with, but those are becoming less and less.

This is an accomplishment for me - I've been trying forever.

PattiTheWicked
04-06-2007, 06:15 AM
It seems like once it falls into place, it seems completely natural. I've had decks for nearly 20 years, but didn't really "get it" until just the last few years.

Foinah
07-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Blessed be everyone! I finally decided to stop in post.

I read runes. I've been reading and making runes for probably twenty-seven years now. I've found the five spread reading with runes drawn for clarity, works best for me.

I helped start a website for my handmade items (runes, altar cloths, talismans, protection pouches, wands...etc.) in 2002, but haven't really done much with it -- too busy with life, family and the like. It was in response to the overly commercial sites out there that I find annoying.
I don't do tarot cards. I also have dabbled with ogham, but haven't found my comfort zone there yet.

MMcC
07-07-2007, 07:54 AM
I collect antique decks :) (NOT for use, but for aesthetic gorgeousness).

For research and character development may I suggest The Jungian Tarot by Dr. Robert Wang?

Ragnarok
07-07-2007, 11:22 AM
If one needs help with character development, it would be a lot more rewarding to read psychology books. Also talk to people with emotional issues, probe them for their unconscious/ulterior motives. Then, you should be having a pretty thorough map of the human psyche and you'll come up with complex and life-like characters in no time.

The four suits correspond with the four elements.

I don't use reversed cards because it's messy to me. As someone said before, (which is also true for other introspective tools like astrology), every archetype has both a positive and negative side. A reader with enough experience should be able to figure which one to pick.

Bartholomew
07-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Hypothetical Query:

Wouldn't the accuracy of a rune-set or tarot deck increase if the user made it himself?

Carole
07-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Theoretically, yes. But if someone can't read very well they generally can't read very well regardless of the deck. Conversely, if they read well it can make a huge difference using a deck that the reader created.

There IS, however, something about the Rider Waite deck and the countless decks based on that type of system. There's a lot of energy established in it whether it's a fairy deck, a witch deck, a shaman deck or whatever.

True North
09-06-2007, 04:59 AM
I haven't read this thread yet, but I thought I would say that I read cards a bit. I'm not that good yet (I don't practice often enough) and still need the book of meanings to help me interpret, but I absolutely love my deck. It is the Mythic Tarot deck. I've always been drawn to Greek Mythology, so it's a great deck for me!

TsukiRyoko
09-06-2007, 05:02 AM
I found a Gypsy Tarot card deck which I fell in lurveeeeeeeeee with recently, but haven't had the money to get it yet. I'm in close cohoots with the priestess who runs the shop, so she's saving it for me. Woot! Payday, here I come!

sunna
09-06-2007, 05:26 AM
I haven't read this thread yet, but I thought I would say that I read cards a bit. I'm not that good yet (I don't practice often enough) and still need the book of meanings to help me interpret, but I absolutely love my deck. It is the Mythic Tarot deck. I've always been drawn to Greek Mythology, so it's a great deck for me!

I've got the same deck. It was my first, and it was given to me while I was in a philosophy class in HS that meandered into Greek mythology, so the timing was pretty awesome. It's still the only one of my three decks I can give a really great reading on. I love the imagery.

Enjoy it!

Carole
09-06-2007, 05:54 AM
I have one deck that ONLY speaks to me about whether or not someone is pregnant. When I ran a Botanica, one of my friends came in one day just frantic. She just KNEW she was pregnant and needed a reading. Not later, thankyouverymuch, but now. So of course I didn't take my deck to work with me that day and I had to nab a new one from the case.

I opened the deck, did minimal preparation and threw out three cards. There couldn't have been anything clearer in the world. This chick was now a mama. From then on, I get absolutely nothing from that deck except mommyhood or non-mommyhood.

..But I haven't had the opportunity to try it on DADDYhood...hmm.......

sunna
09-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Which deck, if you don't mind saying? I'm nosy. :tongue

Monkey
09-06-2007, 07:35 AM
It's funny how different decks give different kinds of readings.

I have a Rider deck that I consider cynical. It tends to focus on darker things, especially death. So far, it has correctly informed me of 5 deaths which occured from one week to 1 year after the reading. It's funny; the Death card is sometimes involved, but usually, it's when I see the 10 of swords in that deck that I say, "Uh-oh".

On the other hand, I have The Celtic Dragon Tarot, and for some reason, that deck just can't seem to take anything seriously. It says something nice or nothing at all. A polite tarot deck isn't good for much besides party tricks. :)

(disclaimer: I don't actually use my decks for party tricks...but I do bring that one out when someone is "just curious")

I have several other decks, but I only use the two, and actually, when doing a serious reading, I only use the Rider. For some reason I have a compulsion about collecting decks. Sometimes, someone will come along and I'll think, "Ooh, *that's* who needs that deck..." and I'll give one away.

Actually, though, the story of how I came by my Rider deck is kind of neat. Years before I met my husband, he and two female friends all bought Rider decks. They considered the decks something that linked them.

Later, when my husband moved in with me and told me the story, I instantly hated his deck. Why? Because I was jealous. I only wished that I had grown up pagan, I wished I could read tarot, and I knew that the girls were both very tight with my future hubby and very attractive. It was dumb. I was a teenager. What can I say?

So I did something terrible. I let his deck fall off a shelf and get scattered. Occasionally, I'd kick a card under the bed or step on one out of spite. (Even now I cringe at my behaviour...I don't know why my hubby stayed with me.) When we left that house, I scooped what was left of his deck into a black trash bag with a bunch of other nick-nacks and tossed it into the back of his truck. I didn't care if I got all the cards. I was sure that I didn't. I knew that I bent some. I didn't care.

We got to our new house, and I decided that I wanted to learn the tarot. I asked my future hubby if I could have his old deck...just to learn from whatever cards were still left. He said sure.

I didn't dig around much, but I found a LOT of cards. I put a stack of them in the bedroom floor next to the bed, intending to get around to studying them soon.

They got kicked around. I was *sure* I threw some away, some that were too torn up...

But when I got around to studying them, weeks later, they were a complete, undamaged set. I got books on the tarot, and learned from my husband, and later from his mother (she is fantastic), and that same deck is with me today, my stand-by, more reliable than any other.

Just cynical.

Melisande
09-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Hypothetical Query:

Wouldn't the accuracy of a rune-set or tarot deck increase if the user made it himself?

I don't know. I have the deck designed by Aleister Crowley and with Frieda Harris' wonderful paintings. It did help reading the "Book of Thoth" by Aleister Crowley to get acquainted with the symbolism of the cards, but after that I went through several stages of getting personal with each card, and now they speak to me intuitively. It took a very long time, and a lot of studying and emotional sacrifice, but it was worth it.

BUT, this is with the second deck. The first deck I owned, I purchased second hand, and believe me, that is not the right thing to do. The influence of the previous owner was strong, and I was being haunted.

I believe that no matter which deck you own, you have to build a personal relationship with it. If you do, it will speak to you. If not, the deck will remain two-dimensional pictures on pieces of laminated cardboard, and you can keep trying to interpret them with the help of books, but they will never 'speak' to your sub-conscious mind. They will also not help you 'read' for someone else.

I have always had the approach, when I spread my cards for a 'reading', that they actually mirror the mind and soul of the person that sits before me. They reflect, not me, but the other person and where that person is situated in time and space and life. It is my belief that the cards do this because the relationship I have with them is so intimate. The need not reflect me. They are me.

Of course, it does help to gain an intimate knowledge of symbolism in general, and the specific symbols of your deck specifically. To create one's own deck would have to mean a very wide knowledge of a variety of symbols, meanings and cultural influences, as all of these attributes are supposed to help you open your mind.

It was a long time since I retired them for 'reading' purposes. But they are still a part of me, and they are always with me. I am naked without them.

Melisande
09-06-2007, 08:38 AM
So what kind of spreads does everyone do? I usually do the celtic cross spread, it's what I learned so I know it by heart. It helps me keep everything in order.

13 9 5 - - - - - - - -4 8 12
- - - - - - - 3 1 2
14 10 6 - - - - - - -7 11 15

This is the spread I used to use.

First card = where the person is now
Second = where she is coming from
Third = where she is heading
Fourth = first alternative lifechoice
Fifth = first inchangeable influence (often a person)
Sixth = the sum of four and five
Seventh = First destiny
Eighth = Second alternative lifechoice
Ninth = Second inchangeable influence (often a circumstance)
Tenth = Where the person believes she wants to go
Eleventh = Second destiny
Twelwth = Where life itself wants her to go
Thirteenth = Where her surroundings wants her to go
Fourteenth = Where she will go
Fifteenth = What she can not avoid

True North
09-06-2007, 08:45 AM
I generally only do a 3-card spread, because I don't have the skill to do a full spread.

Carole
09-06-2007, 03:31 PM
It's funny; the Death card is sometimes involved, but usually, it's when I see the 10 of swords in that deck that I say, "Uh-oh".

The death card has never represented physical death in any reading I've done. It's nearly always the 4 of swords. Once, it was the 4 of swords and the Tower. That was an icky reading.

Monkey
09-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Death tends to represent major transformations in my readings,

10 swords tends to represent major trauma and sometimes death.

4 swords is fairly benign. :)

When my Mother-In-Law and I both do readings on things, we use different decks, layouts, and interpretations, but come to the same basic conclusions (usually - there have been the odd disagreements). It is interesting how many variations there are from deck to deck, interpreter to interpreter, ect. but that we can still come to so many of the same answers.

I use the Expanded Celtic Cross layout. It's what I learned first and best. I do interpret slightly more into the card's positions than I originally learned...my MIL has taught me things that the books never covered. Still, the layout is the same.

Cassiopeia
09-25-2007, 02:54 PM
With Runes you can cleanse them if you didn't make them yourself. I have had a couple different sets but the ones I love are my purple amethyst rune stones. I cleanse them and charge them often when I am busy with them. I just realized its been a while since I have done a casting and reading.

I really should do that.

Great thread you guys :)

rugcat
09-25-2007, 07:00 PM
10 swords tends to represent major trauma and sometimes death.Ten Of Swords was the title of my second book, a mystery.

Pomegranate
09-26-2007, 12:09 AM
I've been lurking in this thread. Very interesting! I don't do readings very often anymore* but I have the mythic (greek mythology) tarot deck. I used to have a crowley deck, but I got such dark readings from it that I gave it away.

I have a question I haven't seen covered yet-- Can you do readings for yourself or just for others?

I get very accurate readings for other people, but when I try to do readings for myself they just don't make sense. I don't know if that's because I sort of don't like knowing too much about what comes next and it influences the cards, or not. (Maybe I just need a new deck.)

As a writing tool, sometimes I'll pull a card as a prompt when I'm feeling stuck.

* I don't do many readings anymore because years ago I had a friend who needed readings before she would do practially anything. I felt uncomfortable with her dependency and just put the cards away for a while. After that I never really got back into it.

PattiTheWicked
09-26-2007, 12:27 AM
I sometimes do a reading for myself, just to help with decision making and organizing my thoughts. It's usually a quickie-read, where I only pull a few cards, but it usually helps me get my brain wrapped around whatever it is I'm trying to figure out.

Also, I usually start my day by pulling one card to see what's going on. It gives me something to meditate on throughout the day.

TsukiRyoko
09-26-2007, 12:31 AM
I just got a Phantasmagoric Theatre deck about a week ago. This deck has the most personality of any deck I've had so far. The artwork is interesting, and the readings themselves are far better. I like my new deck quite a bit, but I get a lot of criticism for it because it has such "childish" artwork.

I've never done or had a rune reading. I know it's a popular form of divination, but I haven't had the chance to explore with them yet. To anyone who's familiar with runes- how do you do the readings?

CatSlave
09-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Learned the basics with Rider and Eden Grey's Tarot Revealed, but after a friend did a reading for me a couple of years ago with the Osho Zen (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/osho-zen/) deck, I switched over to it. (The art work spoke to me ... it did. It really did. LOL)

Seriously, it's a difficult deck to learn but I've found it useful and spiritually rewarding. There are some interesting variations on card layouts in the book that comes with it.
You would probably enjoy the website Osho Zen Tarot.
The online readings are intriguing.

http://www.osho.com/Main.cfm?Area=Magazine&Sub1Menu=Tarot&Sub2Menu=OshoZenTarot&Language=English

My mother reads cards (regular deck, not Tarot) and she's had her special deck since WW II.
She keeps it wrapped in a silk scarf, and no one is permitted to touch the deck or use it for playing card games.
And she only reads them rarely; it's not a parlor game to her.

Carole
09-26-2007, 02:52 AM
I've been lurking in this thread. Very interesting! I don't do readings very often anymore* but I have the mythic (greek mythology) tarot deck. I used to have a crowley deck, but I got such dark readings from it that I gave it away.
Mr. Vagabond has a Crowley deck. He loves it. He also has an H.R. Giger deck that always gives dark readings, but I think that's the point with that one!

I have a question I haven't seen covered yet-- Can you do readings for yourself or just for others?
Either are possible. My primary problem with reading for myself happens when I am out of it for a while. If it's been a while and I am out of tune, I tend to see exactly what I do or don't want to see, depending on my mood. If I'm reading regularly, it's usually not an issue and can be a very helpful tool.

I get very accurate readings for other people, but when I try to do readings for myself they just don't make sense. I don't know if that's because I sort of don't like knowing too much about what comes next and it influences the cards, or not. (Maybe I just need a new deck.)
I'd wager that you don't need a new deck, but rather need a little more confidence in your reading ability. There are decks that I have owned that really are a pain in the butt to use, though, so maybe try a new one and see if that changes anything. I definitely have different relationships with each of my decks.

* I don't do many readings anymore because years ago I had a friend who needed readings before she would do practially anything. I felt uncomfortable with her dependency and just put the cards away for a while. After that I never really got back into it.
Ha! If I had a nickel..

I got into that cycle with two friends when we lived in Florida. I SWEAR, one of them wouldn't pee without asking me to read her to see if it would be ok. The other had "boyfriend issues" and was constantly asking me to read HIM for her to see if he was up to anything. I did that a few times, but I eventually told her that it was way bad ju-ju to check up on someone without their permission. I especially meant it because I never saw anything bad on him...but she was a psycho. ~laughing!~

poetprncess
09-27-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm new to AW and just discovered this forum. Very interesting and excellent reading. It's been years since I've given readings, seems one reading drains me physically, spiritually and mentally -

However, I notice a lot of talk about various decks and many mention that they cannot get a reading - I personally don't own or use tarot cards, I use your basic everyday playing cards. They've always served as a reliable vehicle. I was wondering when some members are saying they cannot get anything from a reading, are you trying to read yourself or is the reading for someone else? I found that I have never been able to read myself and have yet to find anyone that can give me a reading that is specifically picking up me - In NY I had a reader who was quite good for everyone, but could only pick up those close to me. Never me.

Any suggestions on how to get around this ...

:) I will enjoy some further reading here if that is ok ... I find this a very interesting thread! :)

Best Regards, Liz

Carole
09-28-2007, 01:50 AM
That's not too unusual, Liz. You may simply be more guarded than the average bear. Mr. Vagabond is that way. I've only known of three people who have ever been able to read him. A random psychic in Australia, a friend of ours and me. In fact, one of the best readers I have ever known couldn't even come close, and he has people driving in from across the country to have readings. He just couldn't get hubby at all.

Maybe try a little exercise next time. Opening your third eye chakra can sometimes help someone else read you.

poetprncess
09-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Carole

Thank you for the feedback on this. That is an interesting idea. Do you have any links or guidelines to any exercises that would accomplish that? ... I am not much up on my spiritual side of myself these past few years.

I would be much appreciative for any direction!

Best wishes, Liz

Carole
09-29-2007, 02:22 AM
You have mail, Liz. :) Lemme know how it works!

Disa
08-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Can the thread be resurrected? I've been working most recently with the reprinted version of the Buckland Romani Tarot. I'm pretty sure it will remain one of my most commonly used decks. My all time favorite deck is the Druidcraft.

As for runes, I have 2 sets, one is Lapis Lazuli, the other amethyst. I've not worked with them much at all. I really wanted to be able to get a handle on the cards before I tried to put much focus on the runes. (In the beginning I was trying all forms of divination at the same time and really learning nothing as a result)

I haven't really used the cards to assist in story or character development yet. I should try that. Any tips?

Tirjasdyn
08-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah! Zombie thread!

My current carry deck is the Deviant Moon.

Can the thread be resurrected? I've been working most recently with the reprinted version of the Buckland Romani Tarot. I'm pretty sure it will remain one of my most commonly used decks. My all time favorite deck is the Druidcraft.

As for runes, I have 2 sets, one is Lapis Lazuli, the other amethyst. I've not worked with them much at all. I really wanted to be able to get a handle on the cards before I tried to put much focus on the runes. (In the beginning I was trying all forms of divination at the same time and really learning nothing as a result)

I haven't really used the cards to assist in story or character development yet. I should try that. Any tips?

reenkam
08-04-2008, 10:49 PM
My default deck is the Rider Waite. It was my first, so I use it most frequently. I've gotten pretty good at knowing when it's being clear and knowing when it's just not answering, which is good b/c it keeps me from giving people crazy readings by accident.

I also like my Witches tarot deck and my Athurian Legends one. The WT I usually only use for myself while the AL is good for telling more complete stories or for details. I also have the Necronomicon deck...I haven't really used it, but I'm guessing those readings will be darker than normal.

Recently I got the Grail Tarot deck and...well...every answer comes out in some spiritual journey form. It's actually slightly annoying. No matter what I ask it turns the answer into something elaborate and seemingly life-changing with lots of emotion. I'm not sure how much I'm going to use it on a daily basis, but it's nice to have on hand.

regdog
08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
I love, love, love my Dragon Tarot and I use them almost every day. I use a 13 card layout and sometimes I just use one card for a quick question. There is something about the Waite Tarot that I just don't like. I can't really explain it.

About spells and herbs I have so many great books with fantastic spells.

Disa
04-16-2009, 04:23 AM
Yeah! Zombie thread!

My current carry deck is the Deviant Moon.

Oh the Deviant Moon- I LOVE that deck.

AngelRoseDarke
04-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I only use one deck, and that is my Celtic Dragon deck. I originally got it for my husband, but it wouldn't speak to him. One day he had me try, and I could read every card with no problem. He gave them back to me, and I've used that deck ever since. I had never read Tarot before.

Rosebutterfly
04-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I have several decks. the cards I use most though are Mah Jongg Fortune Cards. The cards are small and easy to hold, but there are 144 in a pack. I have used these cards professionally (I worked my way through university as a reader) and I find that they are great for timing events. By adapting a calendar spread, I can do readings which over 3 months, placing events within a 2 week period.

Sean D. Schaffer
04-17-2009, 02:42 AM
I have one deck presently: Dragon Tarot by Peter Pracownik under the direction of Terry Donaldson.

It works well for me. It spoke to me one day while I was surfing the 'Net looking at different decks. I bought it at Powell's in Downtown Portland, and I thoroughly enjoy using it. :)

I've thought about getting other decks as they speak to me, but one I'd like if only for the artwork is the Celtic Dragon deck. I saw some of the artwork at Powell's (they have a catalog in a binder with scans of some of the cards) and the artwork is very enthralling to me.

AngelRoseDarke
04-17-2009, 02:51 AM
I have one deck presently: Dragon Tarot by Peter Pracownik under the direction of Terry Donaldson.

It works well for me. It spoke to me one day while I was surfing the 'Net looking at different decks. I bought it at Powell's in Downtown Portland, and I thoroughly enjoy using it. :)

I've thought about getting other decks as they speak to me, but one I'd like if only for the artwork is the Celtic Dragon deck. I saw some of the artwork at Powell's (they have a catalog in a binder with scans of some of the cards) and the artwork is very enthralling to me.

Oh I love the art on them. My favorites are The Moon and the Death cards, but all of them are beautiful.

eveningstar
04-17-2009, 04:29 AM
I always lose track of how many decks I have. 15, 20, maybe? I'm not quite a collector because I'm extremely picky, but I do like acquiring decks. My latest acquisition is the Paulina Tarot. My current favorites for reading are the Phantasmagoric Theatre Tarot & the Tarot of the Magical Forest.

And I'm painting my own deck, the Phantomwise Tarot (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/phantomwise/). Only have the courts left to paint. To touch on a subject mentioned upthread, I actually find them difficult to read with myself. I see too much in each image and it gets confusing. I'm told they read well for others, though, thankfully.

Disa
04-17-2009, 05:03 AM
oooh Phantomwise, yep- I've been following your progress for a while now. I can't wait until the full deck is completed. I'm sure if I can afford it it will be one of my most used decks when reading for others.

How are you liking the Paulina? I got it last month and it just isn't clicking for me the way I'd hoped it would.

eveningstar
04-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm hoping to have an affordable full deck published at some point, I haven't thoroughly explored my publishing options since the deck is still in progress and I never know how long the cards will take. Hopefully I'll have news on that front by the end of the year, though, since the paintings should be done by the end of the summer.

I just got the Paulina last week, it's lovely but a bit odd. I'm still getting to know it and I haven't tried reading it yet but I definitely don't have any strong connection with it yet. I've been shuffling it a bit and it kept throwing the Star at me, which seems to be a pretty good sign. We'll see.

DeleyanLee
04-17-2009, 11:18 PM
I sit and play solitaire with a new deck to get the feel of it and see which cards come up for me. I like being pals with my decks, and playing games is a good way to do that. Most standard solitaire games will adjust to a bit of imagination as to what to do with the Majors.

For years, my favorite deck has been the Robin Wood but I admit a prejudice there since I took art lessons from her while she was creating it and a couple of my characters are on one of the cards. I've got about 3 sets of it, since they've gotten hard to find lately.

I don't know most of the decks you guys have mentioned, so it looks like it's time to scope things out and see what's available again.

Disa
04-18-2009, 03:54 AM
I'm hoping to have an affordable full deck published at some point, I haven't thoroughly explored my publishing options since the deck is still in progress and I never know how long the cards will take. Hopefully I'll have news on that front by the end of the year, though, since the paintings should be done by the end of the summer.

Well good luck with it all. I'm pretty sure you aren't going to have any trouble finding a publisher. I just hope you choose one that allows you to keep the cards exactly as you want them. They are perfect just the way they are-and that's how people want them to be :)

Disa
04-18-2009, 03:56 AM
I don't know most of the decks you guys have mentioned, so it looks like it's time to scope things out and see what's available again.

Uh oh, that sounds dangerous. How much time should we give you before we come in after you and take the credit/debit card away :)

Disa,
owner of just a few decks ;)

Cath
04-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Okay, I've been looking for a deck that spoke to me more than the Rider Waite I'm currently using, and I stumbled across this: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/margarete-petersen/index.shtml (also http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/333/Margarete_Petersen#)

I think I'm in love... Does anyone have experience with the Margarete Petersen deck?

LaurieD
04-18-2009, 06:04 AM
A friend of mine gave me my first deck (Gilded) in November.

Disa
04-19-2009, 05:16 AM
The Gilded was one of my first decks. Do you love it?

LaurieD
04-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I do like it a lot - as I get more familiar with it, I've been able to feel more connected? is that the right word? with it. Rider Waite doesn't speak to me at all.

Disa
04-23-2009, 05:09 AM
Connected is the perfect word. Rider Wait's a no go for me, as well.

LaurieD
04-24-2009, 03:14 AM
A friend of mine - the friend that gave me my deck - uses an American Indian deck. She likes it a lot and has a pretty good connection with it she says.

Disa
04-25-2009, 06:14 AM
I like the Vision Quest Tarot-it's beautiful.

Foinah
04-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Tsuki, did anyone ever answer your question about runes?

Reading runes can be very enlightening. Runes show an over view of your life's path and the journey involved. There are many paths with different outcomes, and the runes can be a guide to which path you will take, or the outcome if you should choose to follow a certain path.

There are different configurations of rune spreads you can use. And you should never let anyone else touch your runes once they have been charged -- they are tuned to you, and must be cleansed if someone else touches them. To charge your runes place them under your pillow for three nights.

To cleanse oracle stones or divination tools you can use a mugwort rinse. Take fresh mugwort and place it in a crystal bowl filled with purified water. Let this water sit in the sun and in the moonlight for three turns. Then use this water to rinse your stones or divining tools -- preferably within a cast circle.

I actually use a 25 rune futhark set. There is tonnes of speculation that Blum simply created this set up in 1983 for commercial purposes. However, speaking from experience, my family (my mom, my grandmother, my great grandmother) all used this exact set up -- the standard 24 futhark and one blank for the unknown...sort of the hands up in the air, whatever will be will be rune. My family's coven in Ireland practiced quite a few old and archaic rituals. Each person must walk their own path as far as what divination tool works best.

I carve my sets from found object stones. Found object wood, stone, bone all seem to work best for runes and ogham.

I have been reading runes for almost 30 years, so when I see a post on a pagan site denigrating the 25 rune set I just smile. To each their own. Such vitriol and angst makes me say a quiet blessing for the posters' blood pressure! Nordic runes are angular and not rounded like anglo saxon runes or the theban runes ;)

I've never really dealt with tarot, but it was always my understanding that a deck given as a gift will be the deck that speaks truest.

As with any magickal item, making it yourself does strengthen the bond. But any tool can be made your own by cleansing and charging -- a simple task that should ALWAYS be done before any initial reading is done. Opening an unclean doorway is bad mojo, a recipe for disaster for a novice practitioner.
This would apply to tarot as well.

Any site, shop, or practitioner that sells an item "already consecrated" is dodgy at best in my book. And don't get me started on love spells! What a crock and a serious tempting of three fold law. That grey area of magick will come back and bite you on the ass quicker than you can say, "Wha happen?"

So, cheers! I'm always available by email if you have questions.

Blessed be, y'all.

TsukiRyoko
04-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Thank you, Foinah, that was helpful. I had been doing my own exploration with Runes but had a hard time starting out with them. My sister, on the other hand, seems to be the rune wiz. She picked up on them very quickly.

I made my own set out of bark pieces, they turned out to be very nice.

All in all, I still get better readings with Tarot and herbal divination. But, with time, I'll be decent with them I'm sure.

Thanks again :)

PattiTheWicked
04-29-2009, 11:18 PM
About a month ago I picked up the Pirate Tarot deck, which just came out. I love love love LOVE it.

Some of the artwork is fun enough that I'm even considering it for my next tattoo :)

Foinah
04-30-2009, 04:50 AM
Thank you, Foinah, that was helpful. I had been doing my own exploration with Runes but had a hard time starting out with them. My sister, on the other hand, seems to be the rune wiz. She picked up on them very quickly.

I made my own set out of bark pieces, they turned out to be very nice.

All in all, I still get better readings with Tarot and herbal divination. But, with time, I'll be decent with them I'm sure.

Thanks again :)

Any time! Us cackling gals need to stick together ;)

Medievalist
04-30-2009, 05:41 AM
I actually use a 25 rune futhark set. There is tonnes of speculation that Blum simply created this set up in 1983 for commercial purposes. However, speaking from experience, my family (my mom, my grandmother, my great grandmother) all used this exact set up -- the standard 24 futhark and one blank for the unknown...sort of the hands up in the air, whatever will be will be rune. My family's coven in Ireland practiced quite a few old and archaic rituals. Each person must walk their own path as far as what divination tool works best.

There are several different actual medieval sets of runes; the differences largely are because of the different Germanic languages that used them.

Blum used the same glyphs, but messed about with names and meanings.

But so did the medieval users :D

C.bronco
04-30-2009, 06:01 AM
I thought the runes were Viking runes, but i'ts been a long time since I have seen them.

DL Hegel
05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I need help with a tarot reading. I did my cards this is what I got.
Celtic cross

1. Covers--wheel of fortune
2. Crosses--page if wands
3. Beneath--the sun
4. Behind--2 of wands
5. above--the star
6. the future--the moon reversed
7. Fear--queen of wands
8. Home--9 of swords reversed
9. Desire--the high priestess
10. Outcome--2 of cups

Please pm me if you can help.

2Wheels
05-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Okedokey. I'm going to ask a question to which I guess there are several schools of thought on the answer.

Some things I've read suggest that the querant be the one to shuffle and lay out the cards, (on the direction of the reader/owner of the deck, of course). Others say that no-one but NO-one should ever touch the cards except the owner (and presumably, the reader) of the deck.

So what is it? Or is it really a matter of personal preference? I can see that if you use a deck to only read for yourself, then you wouldn't want anyone else to touch it, but what about when you're reading for someone else?

TIA for responses!

Carole
05-18-2009, 11:45 PM
I think that's really personal opinion. I've done it both ways, and I have never noticed anything strikingly different one way or another. Sometimes, I will just feel that the person I am reading ought to shuffle the cards, and sometimes I don't.

My husband stopped letting anyone touch his cards years ago. He's the only one, besides me, who ever handles any of his decks.

Some say that the querant's energy is important to the read and therefore, they should handle the cards. Others say that it's a big fat no-no. Honestly, like so much else, I think it depends on personal experiences and opinions.

Sean D. Schaffer
05-19-2009, 02:15 AM
My former GF and I recently traded Tarot decks. Now, instead of the Dragon Tarot that I used to have, I have the Faery Wicca Tarot that she used to have. I must say, it's an interesting deck, and the readings I get from it are even more personal to me than the readings I used to get with the Dragon Tarot deck.

For the present, I'm pretty happy with the trade. :)

mariedees
05-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I'd been working with the Tarot of the Fey but gave it to my 13yo niece. She wanted to try tarot but just wasn't getting the standard Rider-Waite cards. I still have my Winged Spirit tarot and Sacred Circle Tarot. But I'm missing my fey cards.

Marie

TsukiRyoko
05-22-2009, 09:28 AM
I think that's really personal opinion. I've done it both ways, and I have never noticed anything strikingly different one way or another. Sometimes, I will just feel that the person I am reading ought to shuffle the cards, and sometimes I don't.

My husband stopped letting anyone touch his cards years ago. He's the only one, besides me, who ever handles any of his decks.

Some say that the querant's energy is important to the read and therefore, they should handle the cards. Others say that it's a big fat no-no. Honestly, like so much else, I think it depends on personal experiences and opinions.
I agree, I believe it's a personal choice. Different things work better for different people. I've tried both ways with a few decks, and both can give good readings. I personally chose to let the querent handle the cards. One thing that's helped me out to get better readings for others is if someone else is handling my deck, I clean the cards using white sage and smudge the area before *and* after they touch them (even if I'm doing the reading for them, I let them pick their cards). If I don't do this, I tend to notice that some cards seem out of place for the reading and may suit another person's (a person who has used or touched my deck) situation much better. Cleansing my deck before letting someone else touch them seems to completely clear this problem up, and the readings are very accurate.

Sean D. Schaffer
05-24-2009, 04:18 AM
My former GF and I recently traded Tarot decks. Now, instead of the Dragon Tarot that I used to have, I have the Faery Wicca Tarot that she used to have. I must say, it's an interesting deck, and the readings I get from it are even more personal to me than the readings I used to get with the Dragon Tarot deck.

For the present, I'm pretty happy with the trade. :)

And now, I have a totally new deck. I threw the Faery Wicca Deck away, after I started seeing weird stuff in my bedroom at night. I realize that this is likely caused by my former GF's own energies and her heavy negativity, along with a lot of my own negative energies, so I'm not blaming the actual deck for the problem.

Right now, I'm using a totally new deck, one that I actually got the chance to feel for myself and see if it truly called out to me. I found it at a place called the Third Eye Shoppe in the Hawthorne District in Portland. The deck is called the Tarot of Ceremonial Magick, and it works very well for me. I also got a wooden box to put it in, with a raised roof-like lid and pentacles cut in metal on the trim. I can't put it underneath my pillow in that box, but that's okay. I've never felt more peace and quiet in my bedroom when I go to sleep than I have since this past Thursday. :)

But I definitely learned an important lesson concerning trade-offs. I do not intend to ever trade decks with another person again, if only because of my experiences of last week. I don't really need to see big black blobs of negative energy above where I'm sleeping, nor do I need to feel like I have demons in my home. I'm glad I learned this lesson, though it was definitely a less-than-pleasant experience to be certain.

Oh, and I did cleanse my apartment of the negative energies, thankfully. I'm sleeping like a baby in my apartment again, and I'm not allowing my former GF to set foot in my home anymore.

Blessed be, everyone. :)

Carole
05-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Good deal. It's never a bad thing to do a cleansing. I picked some sage from my garden early this spring and I'm making a smudge stick for that very purpose. I've never made one before, so I hope it turns out ok.

Cath
07-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Would someone be able to give me a second opinion on a reading? IM me if so.

Thanks!

AMCrenshaw
07-28-2009, 05:25 AM
I'm not sure who's in-the-know, but my mentor/adviser in grad school is Rachel Pollack; she's got mad books about Tarot, including some fiction based off it!

AMC

Jenan Mac
07-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Okedokey. I'm going to ask a question to which I guess there are several schools of thought on the answer.

Some things I've read suggest that the querant be the one to shuffle and lay out the cards, (on the direction of the reader/owner of the deck, of course). Others say that no-one but NO-one should ever touch the cards except the owner (and presumably, the reader) of the deck.

So what is it? Or is it really a matter of personal preference? I can see that if you use a deck to only read for yourself, then you wouldn't want anyone else to touch it, but what about when you're reading for someone else?

TIA for responses!

I think it depends on personal preference.
I have a couple of decks, and the one I use mostly to read for others has been handled by everybody. My Voyager deck is mine, all mine. And I have one deck I use for reading for my sister, so she's lso handled it, but nobody else.
I don't necessarily get worse readings from the "anybody's" deck, but they do have a different flavor. The Voyager deck tends to smack me upside the head a lot-- like "hey, stupid girl, apy attention!"

LaurieD
08-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I've been looking for a tarot reader (quality reader that is) in my area for a while and haven't been able to what I'm looking for. Those I have found are a little... what's the word I want... I made an appointment with one anyway several months ago, figuring it couldn't be that bad, but when I met her, my instinct was to leave in a hurry.

I do read myself, but am still a bit of a novice and am looking for someone with a bit more skill/talent/experience.

Are any of you able to recommend someone within 100 miles of Tulsa, OK?

I would really appreciate it I you could.

TIA.

:)