Im researching balls...thats sea balls if anyone knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in these glass balls that are, were, perhaps used for nautical purpose. Sometimes they wash up on shore..
Does anybody know about them, their origination-history... how long they have been used? How to tell the difference between new and older ones...
And where I can get some of these..thanks

ETA: this is not a dare thread--

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My grandfather collected those for years - in Japan (1920's) they were used as floats for fishing nets. That's why you'll find them now and again washed up on shores. The real ones are hard to find, but not impossible.

Replicas are pretty common in tourist shops here on the Seattle waterfront. Very pretty, nice colors - usually sea greens and blues.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I've seen them. I've wanted some. I've heard they are floats for nets or traps. If I ever found one on the beach I'd SNATCH IT. ;)

I know this dosn't help but I wanted to express my interest. :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys maybe someone will know...Silver will be on shortly, thanks

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My grandpa found his on the beaches of Japan while he was stationed there - but I have been told people here (Washington) have been known to find them occasionally on the beach. I never have, in all my years of looking !

Kimmie - if you want to find them to buy, I'd be happy to do a little searching. I've bought some in the past myself.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you MM--that woud be nice, I need about 10 but I'd settle for 5...the old ones...:)

Nicole_Gestalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolegestalt.blogspot.com
In Britain some of them are known as witch balls, they where tied to boats to protect them, the idea being that the spirits where scared of the sunlight shinning through the glass.

A boat never used to leave without a blessing and one of the balls attached to them.

There may be another reason and use for them but that is the only one i'm sure of.

People who live near the sea still have them somewhere in their house again for protection.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys maybe someone will know...Silver will be on shortly, thanks
Boy, Kimmi, you sure show a lot of faith.:)

Marlys' link more than sums up my knowledge of glass floats. I do own two authentic ones, a blue and a red, which were given to me as gifts.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Britain some of them are known as witch balls, they where tied to boats to protect them, the idea being that the spirits where scared of the sunlight shinning through the glass.

A boat never used to leave without a blessing and one of the balls attached to them.

There may be another reason and use for them but that is the only one i'm sure of.

People who live near the sea still have them somewhere in their house again for protection.
Interesting thank you

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up on the northwest coast. After storms we'd find 'em occassionally floating with debrie or seagrass.

As others have mentioned, they're floats for fish lines/nets. My dad had a collection with the smallest being the size of a softball, the largest being the size of a volleyball. All were sea green in color and made of glass. Very cool. They took up space on the shelf and collected dust.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score

I've heard of stories out of New England that they were used in Colonial times as 'witches balls' but more because they caught and captured the 'evil eye' more than for frightening spirits. That's an intriguing bit of history though.

I bet it could be useful later. Thanks for posting it.

Rabe...

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Sea balls isn't some kind of ailment you get from the motion aboard a ship?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the uncontrollable swaying would stop when I hit dry land...

Nicole_Gestalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolegestalt.blogspot.com
I've heard of stories out of New England that they were used in Colonial times as 'witches balls' but more because they caught and captured the 'evil eye' more than for frightening spirits. That's an intriguing bit of history though.

There are many different ways of using them, they caight or scared of evil and unwanted spirits. Some are made with objects such as herbs placed inside them, but most are just holllow.

I hope you find use for it :)

Nicole

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are many different ways of using them, they caight or scared of evil and unwanted spirits. Some are made with objects such as herbs placed inside them, but most are just holllow.

I hope you find use for it :)

Nicole
Nicole yes please pm me with any info--thank you

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite balls are festooned with ribbons and buntings of every color.

Status
Not open for further replies.