Can a vampire have....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
hemophilia? I know I'm the creator here, but would you buy a storyline where the vamp is infected with a disease such as hemophilia and bleeds to death?

I'm sorry, I didn't know where to post this.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
hemophilia? I know I'm the creator here, but would you buy a storyline where the vamp is infected with a disease such as hemophilia and bleeds to death?

I'm sorry, I didn't know where to post this.
Depends on how you build your mythology. Traditionally, vampires are (un)dead, with no heartbeat and thus no circulating blood (which has always made vampire erotica problematic for me, if you get my drift--at least if we're talking male vampires). So bleeding to death is pretty much impossible on a couple of levels (first, the vamp is already dead; second, the blood isn't carrying out its function in the living of circulating oxygen, etc., so depriving a vampire of it shouldn't matter much.

You'd have to build a world in which your vampires either aren't undead (just need to drink blood for some reason), or are reanimated such that their blood does flow and performs necessary functions in order to "kill" one with hemophilia.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
If you can pull the readers in and get them wrapped up in your story and characters than you can do anything.

Just don't get them saying "Yeah right!"

You will always have people say it isn't possible to whatever it is in your story, but if you can bring along the majority, you'll be fine Make sure all your logic holes are filled in and the how's and why's are answered and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

And as Imelda said, it's inherited, so you could take this a lot of places. Since Vampirism is supposed to heal things when you change and make you pretty close to immortal, then perhaps the one who turns him is dying or his powers aren't strong enough, or he doesn't finish the ritual so he's only partially turned, or whatever. Play with it and enjoy.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
In one of the "Forever Knight" episodes (Geraint Wyn Davies...*sigh*) some of the vamps get infected with a strain of HIV after one of them drains a lab rat. They're cured by biting an HIV-positive dead guy.

Sounds insanely farfetched, written down baldly like that, but I never questioned it while watching. Put it down to the absolute believability of the lead actors.

I'd say, go for it--if you make me lust/love after your MCs, then I'll suspend my disbelief no prob.

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
It would be a hemophilia type infectious disease. It only affects the magickal community.
Yes, the way I have it set is explained, the changes that take place when one goes through the transformation(to vamp). My MC is a medical examiner, so I have lots of research.
I now have to figure out what exactly would be wrong with the red blood cell or platelets. Clotting factor gone haywire.

Lupus.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It would be a hemophilia type infectious disease. It only affects the magickal community.
Yes, the way I have it set is explained, the changes that take place when one goes through the transformation(to vamp). My MC is a medical examiner, so I have lots of research.
I now have to figure out what exactly would be wrong with the red blood cell or platelets. Clotting factor gone haywire.

Lupus.

Sure. Same as HIV, RA, etc--an autoimmune disease that attacks the blood. I presume the drugs developed for humans will be ineffective on vamps.

So if a vamp decides to bite--and turn--me, my RA will make problems for my immortality too? That...well...sucks.:rolleyes:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Lupus deals with the immune system, not the blood.

You're right, but it does affect the blood--a slim hook, but one to hang a vamp version on, I think. The immune system uses the blood as its "wheels"--boy, do I know that! I'll spare you my human guinea pig stories on RA, experimental drugs, and my blood sedimentation rate. :(

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Depends on how you build your mythology. Traditionally, vampires are (un)dead, with no heartbeat and thus no circulating blood (which has always made vampire erotica problematic for me, if you get my drift--at least if we're talking male vampires).

You know, I never thought of that but now that you've said something, how does that work?

I say you can put anything you want in your story as long as it belivable. I assume your version of the vampire isn't undead but just changed so that leaves a lot of room to play around with.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I never thought of that but now that you've said something, how does that work?

Simple, it doesn't. Traditionally, male vampires can't have sex. Their pleasure comes through the blood. Talk about frustrating though...no wonder they're always cranky.

Anyway...on the Lupus subject, there still isn't anything wrong with the blood. It's the antibiotics from the immune system that can't recognize it's own body parts from foreign objects and it attacks at will, it's a genetic disease as well, it can't be caught. It also reacts poorly to other helpful things such as sunlight in about half of all lupus patients. And it also isn't a steady disease, it goes in and out of flare ups much like cancer.

Last edited:

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I take a blood thinner and I have always wanted to work a drug like Plavix into a vampire story. Maybe my blood would just be "lite"...(but still filling)

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Less filling...more taste!

Anyway, there's some info about aquired hemophilia being diagnosed. A woman having severe systemic lupus erythematosus developed it.
I've got to work out the kinks. Perhaps a strain of a certain disease that has an altered affect on vamps.

According to Anne Rice, male vamps can't/don't have sex. Yes, the act of feeding is the sexual experience. I've found there to be a homosexual aspect to her male vamps, or at least a bi-sexual one.

Reaction score
Even though haemophilia is not 'caught' as such, there's nothing to say a vampire couldn't catch it.

I mean, come on people. If we can suspend our disbelief enough to take a vampire on board, how can we quibble about how human illnesses would affect the undead?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
It's all about probability and the realm of disbelief. The further you wander away from belief the harder it is for the audience to follow along and the greater skill you have to use.

So why then put those extra bumps in the road?

Anne Rice is not the first one, it is at least a few hundred years old in mythology.

As for a blood disorder, why not create a new one? That is *like* human hemophillia that is killing off vampires or whatever it's doing in your story. It could add a whole new layer to your story and your plot. Are they being infected, is it an assasination plot, is it nature trying to reclaim them? This way you don't have to contend with existing factors and it's asking less of your audience.

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all~~

My son said the same thing to me at dinner tonight. Just invent a disease for the vamps to have and then do a bit of research to make it believable.

:e2teeth: He needs an orthodontist.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Not only would I *not* buy the story of a vampire having hemophilia, I would chuck the story out of my mental window and then consider the author for permanent inclusion on my 'must not read' list.

Much like I do all the authors who have vampires going around seducing their McHappy Meals.

Or authors (and some show creators) who have vampires getting drunk Or, in general, reacting to almost everything human as if they were still human.

Rabe...

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Not only would I *not* buy the story of a vampire having hemophilia, I would chuck the story out of my mental window and then consider the author for permanent inclusion on my 'must not read' list.

To each his own. But I did say a hemophilia type disease and this *is* fiction and...vampires don't really exist...except psychic ones.
Okay so vampires are undead, so they have an undisease, which would make them healthy which would make them vulnerable to disease...but that's where imagination comes into play, and the what ifs.
I'm not creating a storyline on something based in fact.
Whatever~
I wouldn't read anything written by someone without an imagination either.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Maybe the hemophilia- type thing could be some kind of mutation? Something about this particular vamp's genetic coding (if that still applies once the person's been turned) makes it so that he has a disease that was dormant until he was turned.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
My vampires have altered DNA, vampirism is like an infectious virus transmitted through blood. It gives them resistance to all human blood diseases, but my heroine was creating a DNA-altering vaccine that would have re-altered vampire DNA, thus killing them. (My vamps also have definite blood pressure in their manly parts, and do react to a lot of things like humans do. Because they are essentially human, just blood-drinking, immortal humans. Are they supposed to be feral?)

So nothing says some wierd vamp disease can't be introduced, maybe humans would even be immune to it? Maybe it's some meta-human thing that infects vamps when they drink from the human mutants? Who knows? Maybe it's an odd mutation of the common cold.

I agree. Imagination is good. So what if Stoker's Dracula couldn't get it up? Mine can. Because I say so.

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
So nothing says some wierd vamp disease can't be introduced, maybe humans would even be immune to it? Maybe it's some meta-human thing that infects vamps when they drink from the human mutants? Who knows? Maybe it's an odd mutation of the common cold.

I agree. Imagination is good. So what if Stoker's Dracula couldn't get it up? Mine can. Because I say so.

Yes! The plot also gets into the quantum level of life. If anyone's read the Molecules of Emotions by Candace Pert, or Quantum Healing by Deepak Chopra. It will make sense to the reader that can live outside the box.
But you won't need to be an MD to understand it either.;)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score

Right, but yours isn't an undead. Yours has a pulse. If you have an undead with no pulse but can still get it up, that's where you wander into the area that gets harder and harder to suspend our disbelief. But you haven't, so their's no problem.

Does that make sense?

That's what I'm trying to explain anyway. It's okay to do whatever you want in your stories, just keep it consisent nd logical within that realm.

Like in a fantasy realm a wingless dragon can fly. That's fine. No one cares, but if you take a child and give him a super heavy broad sword and he's an instant pro with no underlying reason, you're going to have people saying "Yeah right!"

Anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.