Market

capluvshll

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't able to locate what I'm looking for using the search option, so please forgive me if this has already been brought up. My question is what does the market look like for songwriting? and why can I locate those markets?

Thanks,
Heather

JRH

practical experience, FTW
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowpoetry.com
Hi Heather,

Marketing Songs is totally different than marketing Poetry and/or Prose.
The key is getting your songs accepted for Publication and that usually requires a quality demo of your material.

If you are established, you might be able to get an Agent to approach Publishers but for a beginner the best option is to find and approach Publishers yourself, most probably by using The Songwriter's Market yearbook at: http://www.dcmusicstore.com/2007-Songwriters-Market-book to give you an idea what individual Song Publishers are looking for.

You might also check the following site: http://www.songwritersresourcenetwork.com/page3.html
for links to information on:

* Songwriting tips from music-industry pros

* Advice on how to market your songs, find song publishers and learn the music business

* How to write songs that sell and make money in the music business

* Helpful advice on all aspects of songwriting, tips on lyric writing and music composition

* Tips on how to connect with music producers, recording artists and song publishers

* Songwriting organizations and associations

* Song contests and events for songwriters

*Tips on how to succeed in the music business as a songwriter, lyric writer or composer

In any case, be aware that it's a VERY tough game, because, even if you get a Song Published, you still have to depend on that Publisher to get the song recorded professionally and released, and even that is no guarantee of success.

Even for performers, whose main goal is recording contracts with sale of songs as a secondary consideration, much of the success in the industry is a matter of LUCK, (depending on being in the right place at the right time) regardless of the quality of your performance or of the songs you write.

I don't say this to discourage you but to give you an objective view of the problems involved. Hope this answers at least some of your questions.

Good Luck,

Jim Hoye, (JRH)

Last edited:

Martin Hall-Kenny

Registered
Reaction score
The internet is becoming a much more important tool in terms of popular support for material. Myspace etc allows publishers to see what support songs/performers have before committing to doing a deal. Much is in presentation as Jim says. At the risk of having you 'prostitute your talent'... competitions are also useful in two ways... it help you to 'write to a title/topic' and potentailly brings you closer to those who MIGHT be able to help you.