Comma, Comma

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReneHart

Delurking to ask a question that has been bugging me as of late. Which is correct?

Direct all facets of daily operations including administration/finance, curriculum/instruction, athletics and extracurricular activities, facilities, fundraising, grant writing/development, and community relations.

OR

Direct all facets of daily operations, including administration/finance, curriculum/instruction, athletics and extracurricular activities, facilities, fundraising, grant writing/development, and community relations.

AND

Does the answer change if "such as" is substituted for "including?"

Thanks!

Rene'

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
IMO, I would write it without the comma. Insertion of a comma at that point indicates an incomplete sentence. Since there's no continuation of the sentence after the list, it's not required.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Direct operations (to what)?

With the comma, we assume there's something after the long list... and without the context, I thought it was "direct all operations [to the appropriate personel]," in which case the comma is needed, instead of "direct something" (as in being a director).

In this case, I wouldn't use the comma. However, I would suggestion using a comma followed by "which include."

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Comma

You must use the comma. But the sentence as a whole makes no sense unless it's part of a larger body of instructions, or part of a list of things someone is supposed to do. If it is, then it's made complete by being part of the body of instructions or part of a list. Either way, the comma has to be there.

"Direct all facets of daily operations" IS a complete sentence, and must be separated from the verb "including" by a comma.

ReneHart

Thanks all for the input. I should have mentioned that I write resumes, and that sentence comes from a project I was working on earlier today.

<<Direct all facets of daily operations (MEANING "BUSINESS OPERATIONS"), including administration/finance, curriculum/instruction, athletics and extracurricular activities, facilities, fundraising, grant writing/development, and community relations.>>

I have always used the comma for the reasons JAR made. Otherwise, it all runs together when I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.