Warning
ok

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I was doing a tarot reading exercise the other day (Friday, actually) and a couple of the people were standing close enough for our toes to touch. I was getting a backache from leaning away from them. I think from now on I'd like to be seated with a table between us, thank you.

Reaction score
Ah. You need to perfect what I call 'The Look'. Capitalised, of course.

I can't think how to describe it except one of my exes said, "Nichola, when you look at me like that, you could make my balls shrivel at fifty paces."

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on perfecting the "shocked and horrified" look for when strangers start touching my belly. If you're not related to me, or a damn good friend, keep your hands AWAY from me. As a waitress, touching was the one thing I would NOT tolerate from customers.

I'm not showing enough to worry yet, but I soon will be.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Warning Rant---Does any one else feel this way?
I stood in lines twice today. One at the market another at the post office... I must be a magnet to these people...just because I offer a smile doesn't mean I want to get close and personal. I do not want to share your scent or body fluids of coughing spits or sneezing...

This is spooky. I have just finished a story about an experience I had in a queue last week. You get ideas from the strangest of places.

Reaction score
Ahh find it, show me Scarlet, and I promise to go all over town this week giving it with both barrels.

Remember I'm a magnet...

Okay, it helps if you cross your arms.

Don't scowl, but think about how your facial muscles feel just before you scowl.

Think 'Roger Moore' and let one eyebrow twitch.

Don't clench your jaw, but threaten to clench it.

Limit eye contact and when you look at someone, imagine Evil Superhero Blasts Peasant With Laser-Vision.

If speech is called for...sneer. Imagine an unpleasant smell wafting up your nostrils from the great unwashed public and cultivate an air of tedium/boredom/I'd rather have a smear test than be here, now.

Reaction score
If all else fails..."I just escaped from St Looper's Home for the Mentally Bewildered and I HAVEN'T TAKEN MY MEDICATION."

Even if they don't believe you, they usually get the 'here's someone who doesn't want to chat' message.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I turned to one guy once in line who was so close I could feel his breath, and I told him if he stood any closer, we'd be legally married in five states.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I abhor it when customers do that. They get right up in my face to ask a simple question. If I back up a few steps, they keep coming forward. It's even worse when they've just come from lunch at the Baja Fresh across the street.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always a nut about my personal space, but it was really bad when I was pregnant/hormonal/psychotic. Get ready, WildScribe. I once actually threw people off an elevator because it was too crowded.

"Hey! You! You! And you! Get off the friggin elevator. Can't you see it's full? This isn't empty space. There's a belly there and NO I am NOT expecting twins. There are six friggin elevators in the place. One will pick you up. In fact, after this one goes up, it will come back down. Now get off."

Except I didn't say friggin. Strangely enough, about half the elevator cleared off. They still tease me about this down at the court house.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
Warning Rant---Does any one else feel this way?
I stood in lines twice today. One at the market another at the post office... I must be a magnet to these people...just because I offer a smile doesn't mean I want to get close and personal. I do not want to share your scent or body fluids of coughing spits or sneezing...

The first person behind me kept edging closer til she literally touched the heel of my shoe...I moved forward no less than 5 times. I move she moves.

I have a certain type of invisable field that surrounds me, it's called personal space...MY Personal Space...and no I don't think you have ^*&%talent when you are talking on your cell, while spit comes slinging out the side of your mouth targeting my jacket. YOU"RE TOO CLOSE!
Second person, after four tries, I just hit the back of the line...

A friend I have, feels she has to share every word within 2 inches of my face, I actually fell backwards one time...

ok...feel better :D
hugs kimmi

Never visit any metropolitan area in China. :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*takes another step towards Kimmi/wiggles eyebrows again*
Hmm... Mac doesn't like harassment... :kimmi takes five steps back, looks over shoulder for Mac...listens for her whispered zoom zooms::tongue

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always a nut about my personal space, but it was really bad when I was pregnant/hormonal/psychotic. Get ready, WildScribe. I once actually threw people off an elevator because it was too crowded.

"Hey! You! You! And you! Get off the friggin elevator. Can't you see it's full? This isn't empty space. There's a belly there and NO I am NOT expecting twins. There are six friggin elevators in the place. One will pick you up. In fact, after this one goes up, it will come back down. Now get off."

Except I didn't say friggin. Strangely enough, about half the elevator cleared off. They still tease me about this down at the court house.

I had an acquaintance rub my belly already, and I swear to god my instinctive reaction was to BITE her. I almost did. I managed not to, and she was gone before she realized how much danger she was in.

I WILL be picking hands of my stomach with a load "EXCUSE ME!" I guarantee it. NO TOUCHY!

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
I had an acquaintance rub my belly already, and I swear to god my instinctive reaction was to BITE her. I almost did. I managed not to, and she was gone before she realized how much danger she was in.

I WILL be picking hands of my stomach with a load "EXCUSE ME!" I guarantee it. NO TOUCHY!

You know, I was expecting a lot of touching when I was pregnant but it never happened. Not once.

Maybe there's a market for a maternity t-shirt that warn people they'll retract a bloody stump if they give in the urge to rub the belly for luck.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with "the close talker." It was awkwardly funny up until he got right in front of Kramer, who spazzed and fell over. It was hilarious.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=trrSdGLCz4k

(the Kramer bit is right at the very end)

What I do is talk VERY LOUDLY. It backs people off. Or else, you could try gangsta talk. That might work.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
There are two ways I have of dealing with it.

If it's a close-talker, coughing/sniffing/spitting or scratching usually backs them off a bit.

If they're just standing too close. Look them dead in the eye, then look down at their feet, look back at the face. Don't say anything but make a kind of 'Well?' face.
They shuffle back half a step. If they're still too close, say something like "Good, and if you could make it down-wind it'd be even better."

Either that or kick them in the crotch and use their body to mark a buffer zone between you and the next person in line.

Reaction score
It's the people who stand behind you at the ATM who bother me. I wish they'd at least queue to the side, so you know they're not looking over your shoulder trying to get your PIN - you'd see them if they tried it. I always block my hand with my purse, though. (That's British purse, thing I keep money in, not the American purse. A handbag would be a tad bulky to hold up).

If I sense someone behind me I usually step back onto their foot when I'm finished with the ATM and it's always them who says sorry.

Yeah, and stay out of my damn way next time, fool!

Reaction score
You know, I was expecting a lot of touching when I was pregnant but it never happened. Not once.

I expect you have perfected the scarletpeaches-patented "Fuck off" Look of Death. I shall expect you to pay me royalties.

Or let me rub your belly.