guru.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nik

Hi All,

Long time lurker, new poster. I know that this topic has been covered in other threads, but I'm hoping I can get a little more insight here.

After several years working in editorial departments for book, magazine and newspaper publishers, I have found myself suddenly unemployed. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since I have been craving the freelance life for quite some time but it is, obviously, a tad overwhelming.

Anyhow, obviously I am going to have to get another job to pay the bills, but I'd like to spend a couple of these "in-between" weeks really trying to lay the groundwork for future freelancing gigs. I've been on guru.com and am wondering what the general sentiment is in terms of its effectiveness. Have any of you out there paid for an upgraded subscription and, if so, do you feel that it is worth it? Are there any coveats I should be aware of?

Thanks so much for any information you guys can provide. You've set up an amazing community here which gave me a lot of insight/inspiration when I was back in cubicle-land!

Cheers,
Nik

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Hi Nik, Welcome to AW! I have never gone to guru.com, so I can’t help you there. You might want to introduce yourself in the Newbie Forum, checkout the Freelance Writing Forum and the Writers Wanted: Paying and Non-Paying Forums. They can probably give you more information about the site. Good Luck.

Nik

Thank you for the tip (and the greeting!). Much appreciated -- I'll surf on over to those forums right now.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Nik,

I follow guru.com as a technical person and found the site fairly good for programming. I'm not sure about the freelance market though. Anyhow, welcome to AW and enjoy your stay.

Spooky

Status
Not open for further replies.