PDA

View Full Version : Charleston - I need a restaurant name

Stew21
02-21-2007, 07:55 PM
I need the name of a seafood restaurant on the beach in Charleston, SC. sort of a dive type restaurant, but with good food. I'd prefer if they served oysters.

Anyone know of one?

PattiTheWicked
02-21-2007, 08:10 PM
To get to the beach, one actually has to leave Charleston and drive either across the Cooper River to Sullivan's Island/Mt. Pleasant, or south over the Ashley to Folly Beach. There's a great place on Folly called Lil Mama's -- it's the sort of place where Jimmy Buffet is always on the jukebox and there's fishing nets hanging from the ceiling, but good food. It's about a block from the beach.

Since Hurricane Hugo landed on Charleston in 1989 and demolished the Atlantic House restaurant, there aren't any restaurants that have been built "on the beach" per se, although several have views of the harbor. If your characters are willing to drive to James Island (which you go through on your way to Folly Beach), there's a great place named Gilligan's at the base of the bridge. Best oysters Florentine you'll ever eat.

But remember, if your characters are eating oysters in Charleston, it can only be during months that have an "r" in them :)

Stew21
02-21-2007, 08:12 PM
I only eat oysters during months that have an R in them as well! And yes, I think I knew they needed to go outside of Charleston (to Mt. Pleasant is what I thought? I have a friend who lived out that way, but Folly Beach sounds right!) I like the restaurant you described. That's where I'll have them headed. They cross the Ravenel Bridge to get there, right?

PattiTheWicked
02-21-2007, 08:23 PM
The Ravenel Bridge is the new one that crosses the Cooper to Mount Pleasant on the north side of the peninsula. To get to Folly Beach, you go south of Charleston along Hwy 17, turn left on 171 and go across James Island to Folly.

When I lived on the peninsula, I used to drive over to Folly on Saturday mornings, really early, and meet the boats when they came in. You could buy your shrimp and oysters right there at the dock -- doesn't get any more fresh than that!

Stew21
02-21-2007, 08:24 PM
I think I need a map! :) thanks Patti!
I'm going to have to look online for some images to work from of this area I think.
Thanks,
Trish

PattiTheWicked
02-21-2007, 08:44 PM
www.charleston.com is actually a great site -- it's the Travel & Tourism website. With tourism being one of Charleston's biggest industries, it's a compendium of info and links to all kinds of stuff.

Sitting here with 4" of ice on my driveway, I really miss South Carolina right now!

oarsman
02-21-2007, 08:58 PM
I enjoy eating at the Boathouse at Breach Inlet (http://www.boathouserestaurants.com/04_01_locations.htm) when I'm in the Charleston area. It's on the water (but not the beach) where the intracoastal waterway meets the Atlantic at the Isle of Palms across from Sullivan's Island. It's not a dive (especially the prices), but it has great seafood (oysters too) and steaks...and a great view of sunsets, dolphins, etc. You can get there by boat too.

It might not fit your dive on the beach, but it makes me hungry thinking about it. :)

Stew21
02-21-2007, 09:02 PM
just writing this part of the story makes me hungry, too, Oars.

PattiTheWicked
02-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Let's all take a road trip and have some oysters!

Stew21
02-21-2007, 09:51 PM
that's what my characters are doing! (though one of them is going quite reluctantly.)

Shwebb
02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
I enjoy eating at the Boathouse at Breach Inlet (http://www.boathouserestaurants.com/04_01_locations.htm) when I'm in the Charleston area. It's on the water (but not the beach) where the intracoastal waterway meets the Atlantic at the Isle of Palms across from Sullivan's Island. It's not a dive (especially the prices), but it has great seafood (oysters too) and steaks...and a great view of sunsets, dolphins, etc. You can get there by boat too.

It might not fit your dive on the beach, but it makes me hungry thinking about it. :)
Ohhhh, yeah. My SIL used to work there, so we would get huge discounts on the prices. And we needed them. Their crab cakes in green tabasco sauce are sooo yummy. And the views are excellent.

Sorry--we go to Charleston almost every year, but I can't think of any place like you describe. If you need more info about the Charleston area, I can ask my SIL if she knows anything. Her boyfriend used to manage the Boathouse and still works in the restaurant business.

There is a restaurant on Folly Beach that is attached to the fishing pier; I don't remember the name of it, but it was pretty casual. And it's been years since I went there. (Yeah, not very helpful!)

PattiTheWicked
02-21-2007, 10:59 PM
That was the Atlantic House. You walked out the pier over the ocean, and the restaurant sat out at the end. If you got a good table, you could look down out the window and see the breakers underneath you from your seat.

On Sept. 21, 1989, it was reduced to a big pile of wet matchsticks.

:::mourns the loss of a great restaurant:::

Stew21
02-21-2007, 11:08 PM
What about Starfish Grille? Or Shem Creek?

oarsman
02-21-2007, 11:24 PM
There's the big oyster festival (Lowcountry Oyster Festival) at Boone Hall Plantation in Charleston. They have oyster eating contests, music, recipes, a food court, etc. I think it is every January. I've never been. It would make one interesting road trip.

ETA: There's a restuarant in Isle of Palms called the One-eyed parrot and it is on the beach. I've seen it, but never eaten there.

PattiTheWicked
02-22-2007, 12:40 AM
I was never impressed with Shem Creek. Great idea, but poor service and mediocre, overpriced food.

We used to go to the Lowcountry Oyster Fest every January! My now-14-year-old, who was just a little woofer at the time, ate an entire bucket of oysters one year when she was about three. She called 'em "yo-sters." I've never seen a kid snarf down seafood that fast. She still likes them, and whenever we travel south we always make a stop in Chas. so we can have good fresh "yosters".

Julie Worth
02-22-2007, 12:49 AM
I think I need a map! :)

To get an overview, try Google Earth.

Stew21
02-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Oyster Fest is sounding better and better! :)
I haven't really designated the time of year here, it could very well be January for my story and just in time.

thanks for the help all!

robeiae
02-22-2007, 01:52 AM
I think there's a Hooters there, too.