Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Let's give it a whirl! The Official Chat Schedule is as follows:

First and Third Thursday of each month. We begin at 9:00 PM Eastern Time, which is 1pm Aussie time.

Thanks Pthom and Mod35tBabe.

Should we pick a topic or two for the first one?

~Lisa

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hey if anyone has topics they'd like to chat about pop it in here or PM me with it - I thought if I get enough suggestions I can put them together and we can do one a week for a while and think about other topics during that time. So get your thinking cap on and think up a topic or two. Thanks everyone.

Mae

this is me - is that you?
Registered
Reaction score
so the first chat is on March 1st ?

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If all goes well yes it'll be the 1st of March for you Americans, 2nd of March for me.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I think this works out to be about 11pm Greenwich Mean Time. Which on a work night is bed time for me.

But, if I am still up I shall drop in.

Shara

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Topics anyone? If you have one please suggest it here, PM me or suggest it in the chat room thanks.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
I won't be making it tonight, but have a good time and I'll try to catch it next time.

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a transcript of my debut chat.
[12:53] * Peter changes topic to 'Tonight: The Official Mystery, Suspense, Thriller forum Live Chat. Topic: Welcome! '
[12:59] <ccwriter> isn't most SF supposed to be thrilling? And Suspensful?
[12:59] <Peter> often, but it isn't a requirement
[12:59] <Jed> my books tend to be SF/F, and my shorts are more mainstream and then horror
[12:59] <ccwriter> well, the stuff I've read has been
[13:00] <CathS> It helps pull the reader through sometimes
[13:00] <ccwriter> true.
[13:00] <CathS> but I think it's a subgenre of SF, not all of it.
[13:00] <nevada> every genre has things from other genres in it
[13:00] <ccwriter> Just got finished with a fantasy series I liked
[13:00] <Mod35tBabe> True nev I think its why I struggle categorising my work for the simple reason most of them are mixed genres
[13:01] <Jed> which was, cc?
[13:01] <ccwriter> Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman Dragons
[13:02] <CathS> I think there are some trump genres - eg anything with an SF background usually ends up in SF - YA in YA etc
[13:02] <Peter> Well folks, it's finally happened! You are now present in the very first, officially sanctioned, Mystery, Thriller, Suspense forum Live Chat! Let's all give a big round of applause to Mod35tBabe who will be your host tonight and for weeks to come.
[13:06] <Peter> someone asked earlier.....what defines thriller?
[13:06] <Casiopeia> yes that was me
[13:06] <ccwriter> icy fingers of fear, Peter
[13:06] <Peter> I'm not a thriller writer, but I would like to know
[13:07] <Peter> how do you achieve that?
[13:07] <ccwriter> taught suspense
[13:07] <Sable> building suspense
[13:07] <Sage> how about "how does thriller differ from suspense?" That's a good question
[13:07] <Peter> and not make the thing into a horror story?
[13:07] <Mod35tBabe> I was about to ask that sage
[13:07] <CathS> Something that stimulates the reader, makes their heart race along with the character.
[13:07] <CathS> Suspense keeps the reader guessing - Thriller can lay it all out up front
[13:07] <CathS> The reader maybe has information the protagonist doesn't have in a thriller
[13:08] <Mod35tBabe> I think thriller/suspense is more something that could happen in life but is unlikely to - ie a stalker or something. But horror is more paranormal and folk tale sort of thing
[13:08] <CathS> in a suspense the reader only knows what the protagonist knows
[13:08] <Casiopeia> some people confuse thriller with horror however
[13:08] <nevada> i think a thriller is bigger than suspense. a murder mystery is a suspense but it's not a thriller
[13:08] <ccwriter> yes, but they're not the same
[13:09] <ccwriter> thrillers are more immediate
[13:09] <CathS> yes - a suspense has a very deliberate purpose - to keep the reader in suspense about what is going to happen.
[13:09] <CathS> I would argue that a suspense is pretty immediate.
[13:09] <nevada> 24 is a thriller, criminal minds is a suspense
[13:09] <Jed> thrillers have more of a pace to them, pulling you through
[13:10] <ccwriter> well, depends on how the tempo is set up, doesn't it?
[13:10] <Casiopeia> oh nevada...so why isn't a murder mystery a thriller?
[13:10] <CathS> Cosy MM's are rarely thrillers
[13:10] <CathS> they're more comfortable, laid back somehow.
[13:10] <CathS> More cerebral I guess
[13:10] <Casiopeia> i see...I don't think mine is intended to be cosy
[13:10] <Casiopeia> i will have to think about that
[13:11] <nevada> because a thriller is bigger in scope, usually the plot involves the threat to the world, some great international adventure that will change the course of the world
[13:11] <Mod35tBabe> I read a murder mystery but to me I didnt feel quite the angst as I did reading a sci-fi thriller
[13:11] <Casiopeia> oh I see
[13:11] <Peter> ty nevada
[13:11] <Casiopeia> I didn't realize it had to be that involved
[13:11] <nevada> suspense is smaller in scope. usually a murder that doesnt affect the course of the world just the people involved
[13:11] <Peter> was just gonna ask that
[13:11] <ccwriter> I think Nevada hit it
[13:11] <Mod35tBabe> I think you got it in one nev
[13:11] <Casiopeia> that is so helpful..thanks nevada
[13:11] <Casiopeia> so..I write suspense/mystery for now
[13:11] <nevada> ty
[13:11] <blankpage> So how would one lump "the house of sand and fog" or "the killing" by the Dubus family
[13:12] <Mod35tBabe> The murder mystery I read only affected the characters in the story, but the sci-fi thriller while it mostly affected the characters *couldve* affected the whole world
[13:12] <nevada> not having read either, page, i wouldnt know
[13:12] <blankpage> did you see In The Bedroom?
[13:12] <Mod35tBabe> thrillers also tend to be that the protagonist is in iminent danger at every turn
[13:12] <blankpage> that's the killing on screen
[13:13] <blankpage> both slow, suspenseful, artfully paced, beautifull written, and leading to a thrilling conclusion
[13:13] <nevada> okay there's a difference between something being thrilling and it being a thriller
[13:13] <nevada> in the bedroom is not a thriller
[13:13] <ccwriter> ah well...would that I were writing such fun stuff. Marketing can be boring compared to fiction.
[13:14] <Peter> heh
[13:14] <nevada> the bourne identitiy is a thriller
[13:14] <Peter> so is Mission Impossible?
[13:14] <nevada> totally
[13:14] <Mod35tBabe> in which case what I said before would be correct - hes in danger for most of the time
[13:14] <blankpage> no, i suppose not in one sense...but it depends on what you're thrilled about
[13:14] <Peter> Hunt for Red October?
[13:14] <Sage> so, I've read that in mysteries, the mystery has to be solved by the protag. In suspense or thriller, can the mystery aspect be thrust upon them (the bad guy reveals himself before the protag figures it out, for example)?
[13:14] <nevada> no page, a "trhiller" is a definite genre, has nothign to do with it being thrilling
[13:14] <nevada> yes peter
[13:14] * Angelus has joined #AbsoluteWrite
[13:14] <blankpage> suspenseful...but no imminent danger from moment to moment
[13:15] <Peter> welcome, Angelus
[13:15] <Mod35tBabe> Stephen King is mostly touted as a horror writer but I think much of his work fits in as thriller/suspense
[13:15] <nevada> page, some books can be romantic but that doesnt make them romances
[13:15] <nevada> just as some things can be thrilling but that doesnt make them thrillers
[13:15] <Angelus> King is a romantic
[13:15] <Angelus> He just uses horror and suspense
[13:15] <Peter> well, that knocks him right out of THIS discussion, don't it?
[13:15] <Peter> oh
[13:15] <Sable> lol
[13:15] <ccwriter> The only thing I really liked of his was "On Writing"
[13:16] <Mod35tBabe> Sage I wouldnt agree the mystery has to be solved by the protag - but it may make for easier writing. The mystery I think just has to be solved by a character in the book
[13:16] <Angelus> Read The Shining
[13:16] <Mod35tBabe> it would depend on POV too.
[13:16] <ccwriter> Agatha Christie
[13:16] <nevada> mod, i think the protag needs to solve it, otherwise he's not the protag
[13:16] <blankpage> i'm just bringing up the point that it's rather subjective...i loved the Bourne Identity in print and on screen, my wife fell asleep...she thought Sense and Sensibilty was a thriller
[13:16] <Mod35tBabe> Pet Sematary of course was a horror, as is IT but Secret Window I would consider a thriller
[13:17] <Sage> but, the bad guy couldn't reveal him/herself in a mystery, right?
[13:17] <nevada> secret window was not a thriller
[13:17] <nevada> secret window was a suspense
[13:17] <blankpage> in memento he does
[13:17] <ccwriter> definitely
[13:17] <Sable> I think secret window was more suspense
[13:17] <Mod35tBabe> No it's just what I've read that a character must reveal the mystery
[13:17] <Mod35tBabe> Sorry I meant suspense
[13:17] <Angelus> King does not write horror
[13:18] <Angelus> He writes his stuff
[13:18] <Angelus> He writes what he loves
[13:18] <nevada> i do think the protag should solve it. wfhy else would we want to follow along with the protag
[13:19] <nevada> imagine the letdown if we follow him while he finds clues and stuff and then the next door neighbour says, oh by the way i saw who did it, it was mike smith. the end
[13:19] <Mod35tBabe> The mysteries Ive read are solved by the protag - ive just also read that a character must solve it and I mentioned it because I havent widely read mysteries
[13:19] <ccwriter> lol
[13:19] <Angelus> Read The Stand
[13:19] <Angelus> That is all you need know about King
[13:19] <blankpage> How about if we all write a film noire detective story right now...going from top to bottom on the chat list, everybody gets one sentence, run-ons and turgid descriptions welcomed?
[13:19] <ccwriter> couldn't get through it, Angelus...he gets too dark for me.
[13:19] <nevada> that's not what this chat is about, blank
[13:20] <Sage> but in a thriller or suspense, the bad guy could reveal himself, by, say kidnapping or attacking the protag
[13:20] <Casiopeia> Some of Stephen King IS decidedly horror ..not all but some
[13:20] <Rich_White> Tally ho!
[13:20] <Mod35tBabe> and I wondered what peoples view on whether the protag had to solve it
[13:20] <CathS> Hi rich
[13:20] <Casiopeia> authors can cross genres
[13:20] <blankpage> just a thought
[13:20] <Mod35tBabe> hi rich
[13:20] <Angelus> You don't get King
[13:20] <ccwriter> hi Rich
[13:20] <Casiopeia> oh but I do
[13:20] <CathS> I don't think the protag does, Mod. I've seen Agatha Christie do stuff where they don't and it works.
[13:20] <Rich_White> How's everyone doing tonight?
[13:20] <Angelus> The horror is not montsers
[13:20] <Sable> hello Rich
[13:20] <blankpage> The Stand was a great read
[13:20] <Mod35tBabe> ah see I knew thered be someone
[13:20] <Angelus> The Horror is us
[13:20] <Sable> I can't read King but I like his movies
[13:20] <blankpage> when I saw it on TV I slit my wrists
[13:21] <Mod35tBabe> I find King a little heavy going sometimes
[13:21] <Casiopeia> anyone who understands what hobbling is from the Kimberly mines of South Africa knows that Misery is a horror novel
[13:21] <CathS> good Rich - we're chatting about Mystery, Suspense, Thriller and Horror.
[13:21] <Sage> i think I've read an Agatha Christie where the protag wasn't the sleuth, as well
[13:21] <Mod35tBabe> Rich this is my debut Mystery/Thriller/Suspense chat
[13:21] <Sage> but the sleuth still solved it, I believe
[13:21] * Rich_White does more "dark fantasy" or "gothic horror" than the "Friday the 13th type" horror.
[13:21] <ccwriter> but we discover the mystery from the protags POV,
[13:21] <Angelus> KIng is much smarter than we are
[13:22] <Angelus> Or more determined
[13:22] <Sable> no one is questioning King's intelligence
[13:22] <Angelus> Who was?
[13:23] * ccwriter needs more Glenfiddich
[13:23] * ccwriter goes in search
[13:23] * Rich_White passes ccwriter a bottle
[13:23] <Jed> i rad misery and thought the writing would be pulled to peices in SYW
[13:23] <Mod35tBabe> Rich - I invited horror writers as a general genre so I would assume yours is included
[13:23] * Casiopeia needs a nice Southern Comfort and coke
[13:23] <ccwriter> spoil it with COKE???
[13:23] <Mod35tBabe> I haven't read Misery and saw bits of the movie
[13:23] <Casiopeia> yes Jed...he is not one for "proper" sentences
[13:23] <Casiopeia> cos I like it that way CC
[13:24] <Mod35tBabe> Im reading IT at the moment and some entire paragraphs are heavy going but I found Pet Sematary similar. Carrie however I read easily
[13:24] <Jed> he usses a lot of passive sentences
[13:24] <Casiopeia> Mod..in the movie..she straps some boards to his ankles and breaks them telling him she is going to HOBBLE him...but in the book...Stephen King describe the real process where hobbling is cutting off the feet at the ankle
[13:24] <Casiopeia> that is HORROR
[13:25] <ccwriter> that's grisly
[13:25] <Mod35tBabe> Ive read that the book is far more graphic and grisly then the movie
[13:25] <Casiopeia> exactly and that is why King does write some horror
[13:25] <Mod35tBabe> but in IT he describes the death scenes graphically
[13:25] <Casiopeia> yes Mod the book is very grisly ...it leaves no question in my mind that King can be a master at horror
[13:26] <Mod35tBabe> Oh I think he is
[13:26] * ccwriter thinks there is something to be said for leaving some things to the imagination...
[13:26] <Casiopeia> cc the thing is...they used to do that to the black workers/slaves in the Kimberly Gold mines once they tried to get away...

Last edited:

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Second half of the chat:
[13:26] <Casiopeia> they could still dig sitting down
[13:27] <Sable> brb
[13:27] <Mod35tBabe> Yes well the scene in Pet Sematary with the cat when he first finds it, well described but I think he could've left me to think it up by myself cos I dont think I couldve grossed myself out as much as he did lol
[13:27] <Casiopeia> oh I forgot he did Pet Semetary
[13:27] <Casiopeia> how can anyone not recognise he is a horror writer as well...now The Green Mile...that was more of a thriller
[13:27] <Mod35tBabe> I watched half the movie but cos I knew what was coming I had to stop it
[13:27] <Casiopeia> or suspense according to what we have established here
[13:28] <Mod35tBabe> I think suspense more than thriller but also a little paranormal perhaps?
[13:28] <Sage> i agree about it being suspense
[13:28] <ccwriter> me too on the Green Mile
[13:28] <Mod35tBabe> or um... surreal or something - i cant describe the talents John had the way i want to
[13:28] <Casiopeia> and i know people are going to moan about this..but what is the DaVinci Code? supsense? mystery? and no comments going over and over again how peole hate Dan Brown...he is successful that is all I care about
[13:28] <Sage> I haven't read it, tho. Loved the movie
[13:29] <Mod35tBabe> A bit of both I think
[13:29] <Sage> thriller for DVC?
[13:29] <Mod35tBabe> He has to sort out the mystery of what the currator left behind, but it's suspenseful because he could run out of time
[13:29] <Casiopeia> well it does affect the world so to speak
[13:29] <nevada> i think it's closer to a thriller
[13:29] <nevada> than to suspense
[13:30] <ccwriter> hmmmm kind of a mixture...but the pace didn't make it a thriller for me
[13:30] <Casiopeia> *nod* that is what I am thining
[13:30] <Mod35tBabe> I thought Angels and Demons was more of a thriller
[13:30] <Casiopeia> thinking
[13:30] <Casiopeia> it has broader connotations
[13:30] <nevada> only becuase it deals with international organizations and stuff. conspiracies
[13:30] <Casiopeia> yes...
[13:30] <Mod35tBabe> yeah the conspiracy and the albino monk make it a bit more of a thriller
[13:30] <Casiopeia> oh man that guy who played him did a good job of creeping me out
[13:30] <ccwriter> who, the monk?
[13:31] <Casiopeia> yes
[13:31] <Mod35tBabe> Ive seen him in a couple movies and he is quite a good actor
[13:31] <Sable> I'm reading The DaVinci code, almost done but I think it is more suspense
[13:31] <Casiopeia> I got sick when he was doing his penance
[13:31] <ccwriter> he also played the doctor on master and commander
[13:31] <ccwriter> good job
[13:31] <Mod35tBabe> I'd read the DVC twice - i have the illustrated versions of DVC and A&D and I think the pictures made the story that much better
[13:31] <Casiopeia> he was also in A Knight's Tale and A "something mind"
[13:32] <Mod35tBabe> like because say the last supper picture meant little to me.
[13:32] <Mod35tBabe> Yes he was I really liked him in A Knights Tale, hes a diverse actor
[13:33] <ccwriter> you mean because it's a complicated picture and you needed the visual reference, Mod?
[13:33] <Casiopeia> Mod...I have been on religious forum before and after the film came out..and they are so upset about the last supper painting...and when they go on and on about what a hack he is..I laugh and say..no he is very good..he has you all upset
[13:33] <Mod35tBabe> Yes, I went and looked it up online CC, and then I understood properly.
[13:33] <Casiopeia> I think everyone did Mod
[13:34] <Casiopeia> and low and behold..it was AMAZING to see how it is possible
[13:34] <ccwriter> I thought it was a fascinating subject
[13:34] <Mod35tBabe> and looked up other pictures but when I got the illustrated I read it and all of it was clearer. I like dissecting conspiracies wihch is why I enjoyed his books. I don't really notice bad writing or whatever if Im enjoying the story
[13:35] <Sage> me too
[13:35] <Casiopeia> well if we are going to critic someone on bad writing...Stephen KING IS the worst hack of all
[13:35] <Mod35tBabe> and since im not religious it was intriguing to me
[13:35] <ccwriter> lol
[13:35] <Mod35tBabe> TBH i didnt realise dan was a bad writer, i thought he was just as good as others Ive read. Maybe not the best but certainly not the worst. Another author I like is Michael Crichton - I havent read all his books but I really liked Sphere.
[13:36] <ccwriter> I just sent Angels and Demons overseas to my daughter. Wonder if she has it yet...
[13:36] <Casiopeia> I don't care if people want to mock me for it..he is one of the better ones and especially at story telling and keeping you captive..so is David Baldacci
[13:36] <Mod35tBabe> i dont think ive read him casio
[13:37] <ccwriter> I have. He's not bad.
[13:37] <Mod35tBabe> I enjoyed Angels and Demons more in what happened, but DVC because it made me think
[13:37] <Mod35tBabe> Ive heard of David Baldacci but dont think ive read him
[13:37] <Casiopeia> not all of Baldaccis have been good but Saving Faith was excellent
[13:37] <Casiopeia> I believe he wrote Absolute Power
[13:37] <Casiopeia> let me check
[13:37] <Sage> i loved working on the puzzles in DVC
[13:38] <Sage> but I thought A&D was a better novel
[13:38] <Casiopeia> http://davidbaldacci.com/
[13:38] <ccwriter> It moved faster,that's for sure.
[13:38] <Jed> i have DVC, but haven't got past C2.
[13:38] <Sage> it's a good read on a plane :)
[13:38] <Mod35tBabe> yes I agree sage
[13:39] <Casiopeia> Jed...either you get into the story or you don't
[13:39] <Jed> it's taking a while
[13:39] <Casiopeia> i was interested because of the spin on the story of Jesus and Mary Magdaline
[13:39] <ccwriter> what other Thrilling Suspense Mysteries can we dissect?
[13:39] <Sage> IIRC, I didn't get into it for a couple of chapters
[13:39] <Jed> does that mean i have to keep reading?
[13:39] <Sage> only if you want to
[13:39] <Casiopeia> Yes...Absolute Power...written by Baldacci and made into a major motion picture featured Clint Eastwood I believe
[13:40] <Casiopeia> Absolute power was a thriller
[13:40] <Casiopeia> it was involving the US Gove
[13:40] <ccwriter> and filmed partially in my area
[13:40] <ccwriter> well, at least one scene was filmed here
[13:40] <Casiopeia> is that so? cool
[13:40] <ccwriter> made us famous for about a week
[13:41] <ccwriter> remember when the girl was in the car at the park and it was shoved off the cliff?
[13:41] <Casiopeia> cc...in Salt Lake we are always getting famous now..they call it little hollywood around here...i had a couple movies filmed at my house actually
[13:41] <ccwriter> your house???
[13:41] <Casiopeia> yep
[13:41] <Casiopeia> A local movie for the Mormon Church...
[13:41] <ccwriter> oh my...hope the bathroom was clean!
[13:42] <Mod35tBabe> guys keep to the topic
[13:42] <Mod35tBabe> thanks
[13:42] <Casiopeia> then one with that girl from Sabrina.. I forget what it was called...
[13:44] <Casiopeia> So what kind of writer is Tom Clancy then?
[13:44] <Jed> tom clancy is more of a thriller
[13:44] <Sage> hi, fingers
[13:44] * ^Fingers^ sets mode: -o ^Fingers^
[13:44] <ccwriter> would that be Thriller?
[13:44] <^Fingers^> hi all
[13:45] <ccwriter> Hiya Brian
[13:45] <Mod35tBabe> hi fingers
[13:45] <Sable> hi Fingers
[13:45] <Jed> hi fingers
[13:45] <Mod35tBabe> I do own his Teeth of the tiger or whatever its called
[13:45] <ccwriter> Military Thrillers mostly
[13:45] <nevada> tim clancy is a techno thriller, another subdivision
[13:46] <nevada> hi fingers
[13:46] <Mod35tBabe> Ive owned it for months and haven't read it
[13:47] <Mod35tBabe> what genre would you consider Michael Crichton?
[13:47] <nevada> ive never read anything by chrichton
[13:47] <nevada> but based on jurassic park i'd say he's science thriller
[13:47] <Mod35tBabe> i really liked Prey and Sphere but had trouble getting into andromeda strain
[13:48] <Mod35tBabe> I thought science thriller
[13:48] <ccwriter> He wrote "Prey" as well
[13:48] <ccwriter> which was definitely a science thriller
[13:48] <Mod35tBabe> I thought Prey was really good - I liked learning about the nano technology
[13:48] <ccwriter> yeah, the nano was nifty
[13:49] * CathS has quit IRC (Quit: It's behind you! Oh, sorry, that was just your shadow. )
[13:49] <Mod35tBabe> i thought it was nicely paced too
[13:50] <JBI> I didn't get passed the first few pages on the Amazon preview of Prey. His writing style just didn't agree with me.
[13:51] <Mod35tBabe> I did find it a little tough in sections that I didnt understand ie nano technology but if i re-read it i was okay
[13:52] <ccwriter> I really enjoyed reading another series recently...Odd Thomas
[13:52] <ccwriter> then Forever Odd and Brother Odd
[13:52] <JBI> I really just cannot read science fiction, or fantasy for that matter, much anymore.
[13:52] <Mod35tBabe> I don't know of odd thomas series
[13:53] <ccwriter> I would consider those more in the suspense/thriller category
[13:53] <Mod35tBabe> I didnt think I could read science fiction either and mostly i can't, but michaels i can read some of
[13:53] <ccwriter> but the way he wrote was charming
[13:54] <Mod35tBabe> I used to read a lot of RL stine books when I was younger - I suspect much of that accounts for my love of horror books now.
[13:54] <Sage> I loved Stine
[13:54] <Sage> & Christopher Pike too
[13:54] <ccwriter> Dean Koontz
[13:54] <Mod35tBabe> i still read him now and then - goosebumps books are good time fillers like if u want to fill in half an hour. I like fear street sagas the best though
[13:54] <Sable> Stine did the Goosebump series , right?
[13:55] <ccwriter> yes
[13:55] <Mod35tBabe> Considering the hundreds of books I read Im surprised how few authors Ive read.
[13:55] <Mod35tBabe> Yes sable, and fear street books for kids from 11-14 and then fear street sagas for 14-16
[13:56] <ccwriter> My kids were really into Goosebumps there for a while
[13:56] <ccwriter> but they grew up :)
[13:56] <Peter> the bumps did, or the kids?
[13:56] <Sable> Goosebumps was a great intro for kids
[13:56] <ccwriter> lol...Kids, PT
[13:56] <Sage> my sis read goosebumps, while I read Fear Street
[13:56] <Mod35tBabe> Goosebumps was one of the few books my bf would read so I got him to read Fear street saga and he managed to finish it
[13:57] <ccwriter> 5mglss cat on the keyboard!
[13:57] <Mod35tBabe> id like to be as popular as r.l stine - i think he really encourages reading, long before j.k rowling ddi
[14:02] <Peter> everyone, let's give Mod35tBabe a big round of applause!
[14:02] <Sandy> what happened mod?
[14:02] * Peter changes topic to 'Committed to writers and writing. Visit the watercooler forums at http://absolutewrite.com/forums/ '
[14:02] <Sage> yay, Mod
[14:02] <Mod35tBabe> 4thank you for joining me on my debut MTS chat
[14:02] <JBI> Did I miss something? What happend with MOd.
[14:02] * KraziDiamond applauds not knowing why .. but hey! :)
[14:02] <Peter> y'all come back in two weeks for MTS #2
[14:02] <Sandy> woooohooo!
[14:03] <Sable> Mod hosted her first ever live chat

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I missed it! *sniffle* Congrats on what looks like a successful first-ever chat, Mod! :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Mod. SOrry I missed it. I've got soccer on Thurs nights, but soccer season can't last forever.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
For an inaugural event, this one was excellent! I think your MTS chat is gonna surpass the SF/F chat in popularity, I really do. Congratulations, Mod!

And the rest of you suspenseful mystery thrillies, be there in two weeks or be square!

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Go, Mod! I missed this one (farewell get-together with a friend who is moving out of state this week), but I'll try to make the next. I am not a writer of thrillers or suspenses, but discussing the techniques involved could still be pretty darned useful for anything!

:)

-Michelle

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Soccer mom, our season's starting soon so yours must be nearly finished so you can come soon. I'm hoping to see you at the next one, drachin. I won't argue in the slightest if it is that popular, Peter, really I wouldn't.
Thanks for letting me run it I appreciate it :)

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yep - it's posted in the calendar so you can send yourself reminders. Suggestions for topics anyone??

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't really get a chance to read through the chatroom discussion...but an idea I guess could be the element of surprise? I don't know. Just an idea.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know what time the chat is tonight? It says 9 p.m. EST on this thread, but the little announcement thingy says 10 p.m. - and I don't know if that's EST. I want to try and make this one... missed the last one. Looked like fun. :D

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
The chat is scheduled for 9:00 PM EST tonight, Thursday, March 16. The chat room is open. People await in anticipation. But there is, as of yet, no topic set, and Mod35tbabe, your host, doesn't seem to be online.

But do come anyway, and maybe something will develop.

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Chat transcript from last week - I hadn't had time before today to do it. Sorry guys

* Peter changes topic to 'Tonight: The Official Mystery, Suspense, Thriller forum Live Chat. Topic: ???'
<tjwriter> lol, yep. I'm debating whether or not I'm going to keep my husband.
<Peter> I'll leave that message up for another 15 minutes. If there isn't a MST conversation going by then, we'll consider the chat cancelled for this week.
<StoneTable> tjwriter: it sounds like you got a defective model ;)
<tjwriter> MST huh?
<Casiopeia> Mystery/suspense/thriller
<Casiopeia> we are scheduled to have a discussion on it
<tjwriter> I know. I'm just trying to think of something that is MST. I phrased that poorly
<Shwebb> MST3K?
<tjwriter> I'm also trying to do my state taxes
<tjwriter> which is a mystery all of its own
<Shwebb> I use tax software for the federal.
<Peter> it's on the calendar.
<Peter> but the host for it is absent.
<tjwriter> I want to write some fantasy along the lines of Tamara Siler
Jones-type stuff. Part fantasy, part procedural mystery.
<tjwriter> I hope she's okay.
<JBI> :p
<Peter> she is prone to periods of forgetfulness
<tjwriter> Oh
<tjwriter> My daughter is on her way home. She's been one-of-a-kind today.
<Peter> hey hey.
<Casiopeia> hello QueenB
<JBI> How old is your daughter?
<Daehota> Hi, QB
<tjwriter> 13 months
<JBI> Hello QueenB
<QueenB> Hi, everyone
<tjwriter> heya QB
<Peter> QueenB has agreed to host the MST chat tonight.
<nevada-knitting> hi queen
<SirOwlpen> hello QB :)
<QueenB> Nickie!
<QueenB> hi, there
<SirOwlpen> all well?
<Daehota> TY
* Peter wonders if we should tell her there isn't a topic
<QueenB> yes, busy as all get out
<JBI> Topic? Is there a specific chat now?
<SirOwlpen> get out of what?
<Peter> there is, JBI.
<Daehota> Might be a good idea, Peter.
<Peter> or there is one scheduled.
<JBI> (which is?)
<QueenB> I have a topic that we can chew on.
<Peter> Official Mystery, Suspense, Thriller forum chat.
<Peter> the floor is yours, Pat.
<QueenB> What comes first, the chicken or the egg?
<Peter> lol
<QueenB> orrrrr
<JBI> The chicken.
<Peter> yeah, orrrrrr
<QueenB> character or plot
<QueenB> which comes first in mystery, suspense, thriller?
<Casiopeia> let's talk about character
* Peter changes topic to 'Tonight: The Official Mystery, Suspense, Thriller forum Live Chat. Topic: Character or Plot--which comes first?'
<Casiopeia> oh i see that was a question
<Casiopeia> :)
<JBI> Plot, most characters in thrillers and mysteries are very
stereotypical.
<Daehota> Or one could have a character-driven plot.
<Casiopeia> JBI how are they stereotypical and what characteristics do they share in common ?
<JBI> Mystery or thriller?
<Casiopeia> both or either
<JBI> Mystery, you have your detective, your crimminal, and your other assembled asorted characters. For the most part, we focus on the detective, or his side kick (often they have a sidekick because the story simply cannot be told through the mind of the inspector due to him knowing the answer before the conclusion ruining the suspence).
<JBI> The rest of the chrarcters are there as red-herrings, or as inocent people, proven innocent throughout the book, or ending up dead.
<JBI> The other character, the villain generally remains the same, somewhat "criminal".
<QueenB> sounds very formulaic
<JBI> That's the mystery/.
<Casiopeia> JBI unless we have a gangster/mystery in which case usually the bad guy can often times have a duality to him/her
<JBI> Generally, in the mystery the reader needs to feel that the crimminal is guilty, whereas if he is completely innocent, the story ends in something unbecoming to the reader.
<Casiopeia> but can't the criminal have good elements to their character? conflicted...should they stay a bad guy or change their mind and become a good guy?
<QueenB> I think most bad guys have to have some quality that makes them believable.
<nevada-knitting> no person is completely evil. so every bad guy should have some good qualities if you want him to be three-dimensional. Even Hitler had a genuine love of animals
<nevada-knitting> so if you concentrate on plot and dont worry about character, then you have the very formula that JBI described
<nevada-knitting> hi festus
<Festus> Hi Nev, everyone
<Festus> Yay, got the story sent off!
<nevada-knitting> but on the other hand if you concentrate on character and totally ignore plot, then you've got a bunch of 3 dimensional characters standing around twiddling their thumbs
<nevada-knitting> excellent, festus
<Daehota> Hello, Festus
<Festus> Hi Dae!
<Daehota> Bravo!
<Festus> ty
<tjwriter> hi festus. Good job!
<Skarpz> my last story was a plot without character delopment
<Festus> ty
<Skarpz> nice festus
<Festus> ty
<QueenB> hi, festus
<Festus> Hi Queen B!
<Daehota> I can't do that. I want to like my guy or gal, although, of course we're talking quirky in some ways.
<Festus> Uh, I think I'm gonna take off, I didn't know you all where into something.
<Daehota> Which means character dev
<QueenB> Either the character moves the plot, or the plot moves the character
<Casiopeia> Ever consider the main character in Casablanca? He was actually a bad guy. But he did good things...
<Casiopeia> Maybe we should ask the question, what saves a story? A good character or a good plot. Can you have a good story with just one or the other or do you need both?
<Skarpz> I think you can have a good story with just good characters
<nevada-knitting> hi vaughn
<swvaughn> hi nevada
<Skarpz> hey swvaughn
<swvaughn> and skarpz
<swvaughn> and everyone
<nevada-knitting> you can have a good story with just one or the other, but it won't ever be great.
<swvaughn> I vote for characters... what are we talking about? :D
<Daehota> Well, if you can figure out the end, you may not care about reading through to the end. But if you don't like the character or don't care about HIM, you won't anyway.
<nevada-knitting> i think they're too interconnected to separate them.
<nevada-knitting> you cant have a chicken without an egg, but you can't have an egg without a chicken, so to speak
<Skarpz> who's HIM?
<Daehota> Yep, in a nutshell, nevknit
<Daehota> YOur charactere
<Daehota> Sorry
<swvaughn> an evil powerpuff girls villain? lol
<Skarpz> exactly
<swvaughn> I love HIM
<swvaughn> so... are we talking character vs plot here?
<Daehota> Pretty much, yes.
<swvaughn> cool.
<swvaughn> we did a thing in another chat where everyone described their favorite character they've ever written - anyone game?
<Skarpz> I'm playing a game sorry
<swvaughn> what kinda game? :)
<Skarpz> browser based
<Skarpz> and I was playing a little free warcraft, it sucked though
<Skarpz> anyways
<swvaughn> didn't know there was free wow!
<Skarpz> my favorite character was ruler of a galzy and his room
<swvaughn> I'm stalling. supposed to be editing.
<swvaughn> he's the ruler of his room? LOL
<Skarpz> http://www.123games.dk/game/strategy/warcraft/warcraft_eng.php
<Skarpz> he's cleaning his room
<swvaughn> oooh, thanks for the link!
<Skarpz> and destroying a univers
<swvaughn> sounds like fun, destroying universes...
<Skarpz> then he gets captured
<Peter> so, are we done with the Mystery Thriller Suspense forum chat?
<Skarpz> I was describing a character and plot
<swvaughn> no, it's just me and skarpz are the only ones chatting at the moment. Hi peter!
<Skarpz> but not the right one
<swvaughn> hey, it's a character and plot. that works.
<Skarpz> I think we may be done because it's only two of us really talking
<Peter> ok, it's just that I didn't see anything to do with writing
mysteries, suspenses or thrillers..
<swvaughn> yeah, looks like everyone ditched. want to talk suspense thrilers, peter?
* Peter thought it looked a lot like talking about games ;-)
<swvaughn> I'm still game.
<Skarpz> i was relating it to character versus plot but I didn't know how to get to mst
<Peter> it isn't my genre...I do the SF/F chats alternate Thursdays.
<tjwriter> Sorry. My daughter came home. Very distracting when mixed with state tax returns.
<swvaughn> I think games are relevant b/c role playing games can help witth characterization.
<Skarpz> I am reading a mystery
<swvaughn> Hi tj
<Peter> what happened to QueenB?
<swvaughn> *shrug* I got here late
<swvaughn> what are you reading, skarpz?
<Skarpz> they haven't figured out where a character has gone
<Skarpz> they wonder if the ministry is being taken over
<tjwriter> I want to mix fantasy with mystery. There's an idea floating
around somewhere.
<Skarpz> Harry Potter 5 is what I am reading at the moment
<swvaughn> harry potter is a mystery? :)
<swvaughn> Oh, I guessed that! just didn't type fast enough.
<Peter> I would say that most fantasies are in fact mysteries of some
sort.
<swvaughn> TJ, traditional fantasy or urban fantasy?
<swvaughn> Yeah, like David Gemmel. love him.
<tjwriter> I don't know. I like the procedurals that Tamara Siler Jones does. Very interesting for me because I was a huge Patricia Cornwell fan.
<Daehota> DeLint and Gaimen
<swvaughn> have you read anything by Monica... um...Jackson?
<nevada-knitting> a good urban fantasy/mystery is Unshapely Things by
somebody Del Franco
<swvaughn> kind of a romance mystery fantasy thing
<nevada-knitting> really plays with our myths of good elves and fairies and stuff
<swvaughn> ooh, that sounds fun!
<StoneTable> I like urban fantasy. I need to finish the one I've been writing
<swvaughn> what are you working on Stone?
<StoneTable> just experimenting with urban fantasy
<StoneTable> or was
<Daehota> Thanks, nevada!Oh, do!
<swvaughn> cool. I think it's good for writers to expand into other
genres.
<Daehota> That was weird
<Daehota> How's it going, ST?
<Peter> all right. Since the main hostess for MST chat wasn't here, and QueenB seems to have fallen asleep, I'm gonna change main topic back to general chat. Just go ahead and carry on with things as normal. :)

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Today's chat
* Mod35tBabe changes topic to 'Absolutewrite's Official Mystery Thriller Suspense Forum Live Chat '
* ChanServ changes topic to 'Committed to writers and writing. Visit the watercooler forums at http://absolutewrite.com/forums/ (Peter) '
<Ascendant> interesting
<Mod35tBabe> told ya itd do that the stupid thing
<Tamara> hmm, i'm not sure what all of the topic stuff means, I'm new here, but I'm very happy to be involved with the MTS chat, with or without the topic name
<nevada> mod, you have something you want to discuss?
<Mod35tBabe> :) just means I dont have rights to change it thats why it changed it back again. thanks tamara. Do we have a topic for it?
<arrowqueen> Doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Still us!
<Tamara> Who moderates the forum? Is it you Mod?
<Mod35tBabe> no idont
<Tamara> oh, okay.
<Mod35tBabe> i just get a few rights in here to run the chat
<Tamara> ahhh! Run the chat. Cool.
<Tamara> Topic... hmmmm...
<Tamara> Is anybody here writing any mystery/thriller stuff at the mo?
<Mod35tBabe> i am sort of
<Sable> not me, for now I'm stuck with a poetic muse
<nevada> im halfway through an action/adventure
<arrowqueen> Well done everyone!
<arrowqueen> Variety's te spice of life.
<Tamara> What about you arrowqueen? What are you up to?
<Sable> that's for sure aq
<Wordman> Same here Sable, I'm not a mystery writer, not that kind of brain.
<arrowqueen> Same as always. Three shorts a week.
<Mod35tBabe> ive actually got 2 and one is going to be much more mystery than the other
<Sable> I've not tried mystery yet
<Sable> hmmm I wonder, how about erotic mystery... aq?
* Ascendant perks up, "Someone say erotic?"
<arrowqueen> Nah. Just the historical BDSM.
<arrowqueen> Written bugger all in the novels since the fire.
<Tamara> Thought of a topic for the forum yet Mod? Any problems or situation that you'd like to tease out from your current mystery writing?
<Mod35tBabe> yeah actually
<Tamara> cool! ?
<Mod35tBabe> the scenes with police in both mine Im really struggling to make it sound right - years of watching detective shows have not apparently sunken in
<Tamara> is the dialogue? The setting? Characters?
<Tamara> or plot?
<Mod35tBabe> i think mostly the dialogue and how they run the investigations is just not what I want it to be
<Tamara> Interesting.
<arrowqueen> yep
<Tamara> Anybody here got any thoughts on it?
<Tamara> I'm keen to hear more about the story, plot etc. Can you tell me where the stories set?
<arrowqueen> Ni
<Ascendant> Have you thought about trying to find real transcripts of interrogations or example investigations?
<Tamara> Where can you get access to those transcripts ascendant?
<Mod35tBabe> well in one story the MC is set up for the murder of her husband, and in the other the MC is um... will sorta figure out the mystery but isnt actually a detective, but her ex is a detective and she manages to squeeze details out of him - i spose a bit like janet evanovichs in that stephanie isnt a cop but she solves the mysteries anyway
<Mod35tBabe> good idea ascendant
<CathS> Hey!
<CathS> Busy in here
<Mod35tBabe> hi cath
<Ascendant> Old school ones can sometimes be found at libraries or other public record areas.
<Sable> hi Cath
<Mod35tBabe> welcome to my chat :)
<CathS> :) Hey folks, Hey Mod - sorry - carry on.
<Mod35tBabe> hmm ill have to go have a look and see if I can find any
<Tamara> Hey cath
<arrowqueen> Hi, Cath
<Mod35tBabe> this chat cath Mystery Thriller Suspense Forum Official Live Chat - i just cant change topic but feel free to join in
<CathS> What are you discussing?
<Tamara> I've just finished an english detective kinda novel in the same vein. The cops don't figure it out, its the female protaganist that does the hard yards herself.
<Mod35tBabe> at the moment how Im struggling to write police investigation scenes
<Mod35tBabe> Thats the sort I mean - I dont know how to write it so the protag figures it out but obviously at times needs to get information off the police she cant get to
<CathS> Mole on the inside?
<Tamara> thus you're using the ex detective husband as a lever yeah?
<Mod35tBabe> yes
<Tamara> ahuh, are you happy using that tool?
<Tamara> I mean, is that working for the story?
<Mod35tBabe> for the moment it seems to be
<Tamara> cool
<Tamara> but it's the dialogue between the police and the protaganist that your having difficulty with?
<Tamara> or just the investigations from the police end of things
<Mod35tBabe> a bit of both i think
<Tamara> Have you started hanging out at cop shops and stuff? Made any connections with anybody from the force?
<nevada> lol i have a vision of mod and tamara stalking the local cops

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Continued:
<arrowqueen> lol
<Tamara> hah!!!
<nevada> hi scriptwriter
<Mod35tBabe> Lol no i havent tried that though my bf is friends with a copper but itd help if I knew what I wanted to ask him
<Mod35tBabe> hi scriptwritier
<Tamara> Hey why not? ;)
<Sable> hello scriptwriter
<arrowqueen> hi, scrip
<Tamara> hey sc!
<scriptwriter> hey to all
<arrowqueen> brb,. fag
<Tamara> I guess I thought if you started to hang out with coppers, undercover detectives etc, you might find a freshness and confidence in your dialogue
<Tamara> I'm sure that if your boy is mates with a copper than you could definately use him as your door into the scene
<Tamara> Sounds kinda silly I know, but it'd be dead interesting.
<Ascendant> If you'd like, I can go talk to one of my cop friends at work and see if I can get some info.
<Ascendant> Come back tomorrow or email you.
<Mod35tBabe> I just dunno that theyd appreciate me hanging around as such. Ive asked him a couple times about it but because they do basketball together my bf tends to be worrying about reffing the game more than asking if I can "interview" him
<CathS> Hey Festus, hey musha`bein
<musha`bein> Heya.
<Tamara> Yeah! I've got a friend who's an undercover detective in one of the roughest parts of Sydney, she'd certainly have a few stories to share
<Mod35tBabe> yeah okay ascendant - I dont need it to be exactly like it but it'd be good I think to make it sound plausible
<Festus> Howdy Cath, Musha
<musha`bein> Hey. :)
<musha`bein> This is a writing room?
<Mod35tBabe> hi festus, musha welcome to Absolutewrite's Official Mystery Thriller Suspense Forum Live Chat
<Sable> hello musha
<Festus> Thanks Mod
<musha`bein> Heya.
<Sable> hi festus
<Festus> Hi Sable
<musha`bein> Oh...
<musha`bein> It's just for mystery?
<Mod35tBabe> No
<Mod35tBabe> for the next half hour it is
<musha`bein> ahh..
<Mod35tBabe> because Im running my chat but after that its normal chat
* musha`bein nods.
<Ascendant> Java is EVIL I tell you
<Sable> lol
<Festus> lol
<Mod35tBabe> lol so dont use it i hate java
<Ascendant> Mod, would you like me to email you or just meet up here tomorrow?
<musha`bein> Java in the parlour... with a lead pipe.
<Mod35tBabe> oh tomorrows saturday for me I mightnt be online
<Mod35tBabe> better to email me I think
<musha`bein> It is about writing, but in movie form, and yes, a mystery.
<arrowqueen> l?
<Shwebb> Hi, Mod
<Mod35tBabe> ok musha
<musha`bein> Well, the movie 'Gosford Park'
<musha`bein> Have you ever seen it?
<Mod35tBabe> ah yes I sort of recall seeing it
<Mod35tBabe> Im a bit vague on details though
<arrowqueen> k
<musha`bein> Well, and upstairs/downstairs affair, where everyone of the nobles, wanted the old mans money.
<musha`bein> :)
<musha`bein> Actually, in the end... it turned out that he was murdered...twice.
<musha`bein> Someone poisoned him, and then he was stabbed.
<Mod35tBabe> yes i remember that
<Mod35tBabe> Absolutewrite's Official Mystery Thriller Suspense Forum Live Chat is officially over thanks for participating

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
<Sable> help Mod out.. do you have a suggestion for tonight's topic
<SnowStalker> The key to suspense.
<Sable> ah
<Sable> how about it Mod
<Sable> hi Fingers
<Mod35tBabe> sounds good
<Jed> hi brian
<^Fingers^> hi all
<Sable> ta-dah
<Sable> we have a topic
<Kim> howdy brian
<Mod35tBabe> hi fingers
<Sable> The key to suspense is ......................
<Sable> not knowing what will happen
<Jed> waiting
<Sable> LOL
<^Fingers^> a four pin schlage
<Mod35tBabe> but it should have tension, its not like waiting in a queue
<Jed> you have to build it up
<Jed> it's like building a house
<Sable> one stud at a time
<Jed> you dont know what the roof is going to look like until you have built the rest of the house
<Mod35tBabe> very true i didnt know i was going to kill a character until id killed her so i quite literally had no idea at the start what would happen
<Jed> i think sometimes the problem is how much of the story and how quickly you reveal the info to the reader
* SnowStalker nods, "very true."
<Sable> If given too soon, it loses it's suspense and becomes predictable
<Sable> therefore, losing the reader
<Jed> yes exactly and it is an art to be able to get it right, timing is everything
<Mod35tBabe> thats the trouble in a short story is building up enough tension wihtin a few words
<Sable> many twists, unexpected works best
<Mod35tBabe> yeah - a lot of stories have the same twists but a good writer will make u unaware its the same twist you've read before
<Sable> Did anyone see the movie The Game with Michale Douglas?
<Mod35tBabe> uh im not sure
<Jed> i did, it was very good, and i didnt see the ending coming either
<Sable> The only movie to keep me guessing right up until the end
<Sable> I loved it because of that
<Jed> that one had a lot of twist, back and forth, you were never quite sure what it was going to end with
<Sable> yes
<Sable> you never knew what he had in mind next
<Sable> and it was never what you thought
<dal> what genre is that movie?
<Mod35tBabe> i dont think i recall that movie at all
<Sable> Did you see the movie The Game, with Michael Douglas, Nev?
<Sable> what genre would you say
<nevada> yes i have
<nevada> with sean penn
<nevada> thriller
<Sable> yes
<Sable> k
<nevada> actually more suspense
<nevada> yeah i would call it suspense
<Sable> that is the topic
<Sable> I thought it was one of the best suspense movies ever
<Kim> would you consider the departed a suspence
<nevada> i enjoyed it
<Kim> suspense
<nevada> no, the departed is a crime novel
<nevada> movie
<Kim> but it IS suspenseful
<nevada> it's crime genre
<Sable> based on a true story
<nevada> yes it is suspenseful but it's not suspense
<dal> i liked 'the usual suspects'
<Kim> it is a cross genre
<nevada> havent seen it
<Mod35tBabe> i havent seen it either
<SnowStalker> Sorry for the late responce, The Game was awesome, I also enjoyed Basic
<dal> me too. books take longer to read, and include more details and description. movies are like, the dessert
<dal> ,to see, another person's perspective, of the book
<dal> do people wonder, if i am really speaking?
<Sable> LOL
<dal> no, it is a bot i wrote to substitute me
<Sable> I agree with you
<Mod35tBabe> yeah i agree as well - except for times when its obvious nobody on the film has the slightest gist of what the books is about - some movies are done so sloppily.
<dal> yes well, movies aren't the easiest thing to make (especially with a tight budget)
<Mod35tBabe> I think we can basically say the MTS chat is over - thanks for coming :)
<Sable> Thanks for hosting, Mod
<Mod35tBabe> :)