PDA

View Full Version : Which b/w printer to get?

jdparadise
02-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Hey, all. I'm looking to get a new printer, primarily for MS outputs. I need:

- network connectivity
- < $500 or so
- WinXP & OS X compatible
- duplex would be nice
- no page curling
- reliable

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ms.Write
02-21-2007, 04:40 AM
I find Canon very sturdy and reliable. I presently use a Canon Inkjet i470D (has colour as well as black & white cartridges; I just use the black & white). I paid $100 Canadian and that was two years ago. Works like a charm.

Another thing to check out is the cost of ink cartridges. For my printer the black and white is Cdn $10.00 or less and lasts me almost 2 months. Used to have a Lexmark and the cartridges set me back hundreds of dollars before the printer blew.

maestrowork
02-21-2007, 04:42 AM
Can't really go wrong with an HP or Canon laser jet.

Cath
02-21-2007, 05:04 AM
I used to have a great Samsung b&w printer in the UK, but Canon, Brother and HP are all good.

As Ms Write said - avoid Lexmark like the plague.

Maprilynne
02-21-2007, 06:51 AM
I would go for a b/w laser if I were you. I've done the inkjet thing and it works just fine, but I love my laser. I thinkmy husband found ours on newegg.com for about 200$

Maprilynne

ChaosTitan
02-21-2007, 07:18 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by duplex, but I have a Brother HL-1440 that fits the other criteria. It's good with toner, and I think costs around $100-150 (I received it as a gift, but I know the giver couldn't have afforded anything over that price). I love it.

jdparadise
02-21-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by duplex, but I have a Brother HL-1440 that fits the other criteria. It's good with toner, and I think costs around $100-150 (I received it as a gift, but I know the giver couldn't have afforded anything over that price). I love it.

Duplex = automatically prints both sides

Does anyone have a specific model they're happy with?

Linda Adams
02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Most of the items you list are fairly standard. I have a Brother 1440, which was under $200, and it's a laser, so the toner doesn't run out every month (with an ink jet, I was going through a cartridge a month).

Duplex, I suspect, is likely to be out of your price range. I haven't seen it on standard models, though I could be wrong on that. It's not really a feature the average user is going to use much. I have a printer at work that does duplex, and it's a surprisingly complex fuction. The printer starts to eject the page, then pulls it back in, flips it over, prints on it, and then ejects it again. That printer costs $5K.

Page Curling: I honestly don't think I've had a printer that doesn't have problems with the paper curling as it comes out. If the paper gets heated, it's going to curl a little, especially if it doesn't like the humidity in the room.

Scribhneoir
02-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Duplex, I suspect, is likely to be out of your price range. I haven't seen it on standard models, though I could be wrong on that.

I just recently bought a new laser printer -- the HP P2015. I was interested in automatic duplex, too, and this model does have a version that will do it -- the HP P2015D. Difference in price between the two versions was about $200, so I decided manual duplex was good enough for me. However, the P2015D was under $500, so that would suit the OP's requirements.

PeeDee
02-22-2007, 04:11 AM
I have a Lexmark 5100 because 1) I'm poor 2) It's cheap 3) Ink is cheap for it.

It's like using a Fisher Price "My First Printer" setup, and not impressive...but considering the abuse and work I've heaped on the thing, it's held up remarkably well and done a very good job. Considering it's a $25 printer, I've been impressed.

wordmonkey
02-22-2007, 04:48 AM
Most of the items you list are fairly standard. I have a Brother 1440, which was under $200, and it's a laser, so the toner doesn't run out every month (with an ink jet, I was going through a cartridge a month).

I got that brother. Was a little more expensive when I bought it, but even then under 500. Still on the first toner cart after several years, several mss drafts, numerous short stories, several movie scripts, lots of comicbook scripts, queries letters, maps for beach trips, business trips and pages from the Nick.com website for my kids to color. It's a good little work horse.

ChunkyC
02-22-2007, 05:06 AM
I have a Brother HL-2040 laser, but it doesn't have network capability. It was on sale and had rebates. All told it cost me $49 Canadian, less than the cost of a toner cartridge for it.

The network ready model is the HL-2070N. Same printer, with the ethernet capability added. At the time I bought the 2040, the rebates made it so cheap that I can pick up an external print server and still pay significantly less in total than the 2070N. Even so, the 2070N is very inexpensive, probably under $200 US.

The only issue I have with it is this quick-start feature. When you power it up, the lights in the room dim momentarily because the printer draws so much current in order to heat up fast. Then, every so often while it's on, the lights flicker as it keeps itself ready to go. I'm not crazy about that, but I have a line conditioning battery backup unit that keeps the current clean and even -- I plug everything except the printer into it. Anyway, that's something to consider as low voltage 'brownouts' can be potentially damaging to electronic devices, though not nearly as much of an issue as surges.

Dave.C.Robinson
02-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Always buy a laser if you can afford it. That's the best advice I can give.

PeeDee
02-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Always buy a laser if you can afford it. That's the best advice I can give.

I agree.

The problem is, the long-term money-saving benefits are preceded by a major kick to the wallet.

Jamesaritchie
02-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I have a Lexmark 5100 because 1) I'm poor 2) It's cheap 3) Ink is cheap for it.

It's like using a Fisher Price "My First Printer" setup, and not impressive...but considering the abuse and work I've heaped on the thing, it's held up remarkably well and done a very good job. Considering it's a $25 printer, I've been impressed.

I had a Lexmark that was cheap, $35, and one that was more expensive, $125, I think, but every ink cartridge I could find for either was at least seven dollars more than the cartridges for my HP, and held considerably less than half as much ink. Probably a quarter as much.

Lexmark is notorious for how little ink their cartridges hold. I can print two complete novels, with some ink left over, with one $19 HP cartridge. At the same setting, I couldn't get through more than half a novel with a Lexmark cartridge on either printer.

jdparadise
02-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks, all.

I can't justify a 2-grand laser (I'd have to actually finish something new to even start moving that from 'waste of cash' to 'investment'), but 500 or so shouldn't kill me...

tjwriter
02-22-2007, 09:57 PM
I agree.

The problem is, the long-term money-saving benefits are preceded by a major kick to the wallet.

A simple B/W laser has really come down in price. It all depends on what you consider you highest priorities. My next printer will definitely be a laser.

http://www.officedepot.com/browseSorting.do?Ne=6&Nr=200000&Ns=p_Price_2|0&N=2525309+8

http://www.officedepot.com/browse.do?Ne=6&Nr=200000&N=2525328+8

Here are two simple searches that I performed at Office Depot with some of the requirements.

Dave.C.Robinson
02-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I have a laserjet 1020 (HP) that I bought on sale for C$179.99 over a year ago. It came with two cartridges and a couple of reams of paper for that price. Yes it's more expensive than an inkjet, but you can usually get one for around U$100-125 these days and at that price it's well worth it.

It may be different for you than it is in Canada though. I've noticed a lot of us talking about cheap laser printers are posting from Canada and it's hard to find the C$25.00 inkjet it's more like C$40-50 and with the lasers down around C$100-150 and the cost of two ink cartridges (one each color and b&w) up around C$60 it hits home fast.

DeadlyAccurate
02-22-2007, 10:26 PM
I paid less than $500 for a color laser, so you should be able to swing a very good b/w laser for under $300 easily.

jdparadise
02-23-2007, 12:46 AM
Here are two simple searches that I performed at Office Depot with some of the requirements.

Thanks, TJ. FWIW, I asked here not because I couldn't search a Web site but because I was hoping for responses from folks who, being writers, presumably have print workloads similar to mine.

tjwriter
02-23-2007, 01:29 AM
I know, and I thought about adding something about that to my post. It seems I should have.

One could look at the results of those searches and notice that both HP and Brother are prominent results.

Both companies also seem to be mentioned quite frequently in this thread, but it seems no one person could say they have all the functions you desire in the printer they currently have. So, I was shooting for something in-between:

Search results that feature the brands other posters mention, and display most of the functionalities that you want.

blacbird
02-23-2007, 01:39 AM
I got a Brother HL-2040 Laser, brand new, for a net of $80 from Office Max. It was on a special sale, regular price $120, with an instant on-site $40 rebate. I also had to purchase a separate USB cable to connect it, which ran something like $20. For plain text work, which is about 95% of what I need, it is excellent.

caw

jdparadise
02-23-2007, 02:05 AM
[quote=tjwriter;1144202]So, I was shooting for something in-between:
quote]

Noted. Thanks, TJ and all!

Maryn
02-23-2007, 06:37 PM
I have an HP LaserJet 1200, seven years old, never any problem of any type with it. No paper jams. No slightly crooked paper loads. Plenty of warning when ink is dwindling, and although the cartridge is not cheap, I'm getting about 5,000 pages per cartridge, perhaps more.

I love it.

Maryn, HP shill

jdparadise
02-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks, all! I ended up going with the HP P2015DN for 429 at Staples.com.

Thanks much!

-j