PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of a Flamer

William Haskins
02-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Flame First, Think Later: New Clues to E-Mail Misbehavior

Flaming has a technical name, the ďonline disinhibition effect,Ē which psychologists apply to the many ways people behave with less restraint in cyberspace.

In a 2004 article in the journal CyberPsychology & Behavior, John Suler, a psychologist at Rider University in Lawrenceville, N.J., suggested that several psychological factors lead to online disinhibition: the anonymity of a Web pseudonym; invisibility to others; the time lag between sending an e-mail message and getting feedback; the exaggerated sense of self from being alone; and the lack of any online authority figure. Dr. Suler notes that disinhibition can be either benign ó when a shy person feels free to open up online ó or toxic, as in flaming.

The emerging field of social neuroscience, the study of what goes on in the brains and bodies of two interacting people, offers clues into the neural mechanics behind flaming.

This work points to a design flaw inherent in the interface between the brainís social circuitry and the online world. In face-to-face interaction, the brain reads a continual cascade of emotional signs and social cues, instantaneously using them to guide our next move so that the encounter goes well. Much of this social guidance occurs in circuitry centered on the orbitofrontal cortex, a center for empathy. This cortex uses that social scan to help make sure that what we do next will keep the interaction on track.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/20/health/psychology/20essa.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin

writerterri
02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
William>http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_6_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYYYUS) <me.

Bwahahahahahaaa

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYUS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb113_ZSYYYYYYYYUS&utm_id=7921)

Shwebb
02-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Yup. I always post naked. And on fire.

SpookyWriter
02-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Yup. I always post naked. And on fire.:tongue

C.bronco
02-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Yup. I always post naked. And on fire.
Ouch! No wonder your posts are brief.

C.bronco
02-20-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm very much like the way I post, whatever that is. I think that some people can try on different personas, but their true personalities ultimately start leaking through the seams.

Quote of the Month: "My chocolate levels are low." -Mom

Dixie
02-20-2007, 10:56 PM
I admit there are times I get more cocky online than I normally would in real life. I don't like it because there are times I've turned into a complete ass. I've been trying to reign it in because I know no one else likes it. It might be funny occassionally, but not a day to day basis.

In real life I tend to shy away from the crowd and not say much. Online, I'm the opposite. I guess it's easier for me to meet people when I'm in the security of my own home and the person isn't physically here.

Rich
02-20-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm much more of a pain in the ass on line than in RL. Sometimes I wake up at night and think, "Now why the f u c k did I post that?"

It's a new demension, the internet. I think a lot of us don't know how to behave yet.

aka eraser
02-20-2007, 11:05 PM
It's funny. I'm the opposite. In cyberspace I'm compassionate, charitable and even-tempered whereas in RL I bite the lips off kittens.

dpaterso
02-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Or, the less yappy version: most people are frakkin nutjobs.

-Derek

TrainofThought
02-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Iím nicer in cyberspace, correction, itís about as nice as Iím able to get.

Rich
02-20-2007, 11:28 PM
A RL dichotomy: I just left my doctor's office. A woman was trying to get out of a car. She had a cane, and the sidewalk was icy. I told her to grab my arm. The driver, I believe her mother, said, "Leave her be she's got to do this on her own."

I'm thinking, well, the daughter might be a real whining pain in the ass, but she's not going to able to negotiate a six-foot wide line of ice with that cane.

So, now I'm arguing with the mom and trying to get this woman across the ice. And I wasn't being all that pleasant about it.

There's a cyberspace meaning there somewhere.

Pagey's_Girl
02-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Well, I lurked for something like three months before I got the nerve to join up...

I'm a little less shy in cyberspace than real life, but not by much. Otherwise, I'm not that different. Except in real life I'm more likely to keep any wiseacre remarks to myself...

Jaycinth
02-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm a badger. Whether in 'meat-space' or 'cyber-space'.

.....just leave me alone, and let me dismember my corpses in peace... and nobody gets hurt....

MidnightMuse
02-20-2007, 11:51 PM
:e2poke:

maestrowork
02-21-2007, 12:06 AM
My online personality is entirely different from my real-life personality.

So ************ off.

Jaycinth
02-21-2007, 12:37 AM
mmmmmmmmm bacon............

arrowqueen
02-21-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm far too shallow to have more than one personality.

robeiae
02-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Let me get this straight: when you're online you can pretend to be something you're not?? Interesting...

And, it explains a lot.

Rolling Thunder
02-21-2007, 01:24 AM
So, all of you are just figments of my imagination?

I'm gonna go lie down now.....

sassandgroove
02-21-2007, 01:27 AM
See I can't post what I want to post becuase people around AW view me as nice, dammit!

Come to think of it, people in real life think i am too. Doh!

robeiae
02-21-2007, 01:28 AM
I think you're a meanie.

:tongue

writerterri
02-21-2007, 01:39 AM
You're a dork.

Maryn
02-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Based on the subject line, I expected a link (and a warning to minors and the easily offended) to an image of an overweight teenager, pale from sitting in his parents' basement, with a really small weenie.

Maryn, who imagines all flamers that way

KCathy
02-21-2007, 01:59 AM
I find the bit about the missing authority figure very important. I used to be in an online parenting community that got ripped apart by a few people who got in an argument ABOUT HAIR CLIPS (really, I'm not making this up) and completely ruined it for the sane parents.

When a few refugees from that forum started a new one of our own, we rejected democracy and basically told everyone who joined that flaming and personal attacks were not allowed. We gave people warnings if they started doing either one, and then booted them, using our past experiences as an explanation to the inevitable people who popped up accusing us of being Nazi's.

Although we still have an occasional newbie who goes off the tracks, we're now blissfully drama free and our 300+ members love living in a totalitarian state. Weird, huh?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-21-2007, 01:59 AM
I wish I were meaner than I am.

And that's saying somethin'.

Unique
02-21-2007, 03:03 AM
I wish I were meaner than I am.

And that's saying somethin'.

More practice.

TsukiRyoko
02-21-2007, 03:57 AM
I guess this is time to tell the truth. I am actually a 98 year old man sitting naked in front of my computer gumming Cheetos (lost my dentures) while the dogs licks my toes. And...I like it that way.

CheshireCat
02-21-2007, 04:34 AM
I guess this is time to tell the truth. I am actually a 98 year old man sitting naked in front of my computer gumming Cheetos (lost my dentures) while the dogs licks my toes. And...I like it that way.

Did anybody else just go to a really scary place?

:eek:

Carrie in PA
02-21-2007, 05:00 AM

I hate to tell you - this isn't much of a newsflash. :D

rhymegirl
02-21-2007, 05:00 AM
It's funny. I'm the opposite. In cyberspace I'm compassionate, charitable and even-tempered whereas in RL I bite the lips off kittens.

Yikes. How do you feel about flying monkeys?

Bartholomew
02-21-2007, 05:06 AM

Speaking of which, expect a veteranary bill in the next few days.

JeanneTGC
02-21-2007, 05:16 AM
I'm always me online. When I first got online (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and Al Gore had just given us all the Internet based on his goodwill and genius) I got too used to being me before I found out that half the people (at least) I was interacting with were actually not being themselves.

I like it here. I don't care if people are being themselves or not here -- the company, real or imagined, is congenial to my mental wavelengths. Such as they are.

(Come visit the Comedy Cabaret in the Humor Writing Forum to meet others on similar wavelengths! It's not as scary as it sounds! Really!)
This has been paid for, political propaganda brought to you by the "We Need More Patrons 'Cause We're Lonely Campaign"at the AW CC.

William Haskins
02-21-2007, 05:20 AM
this thread is stupid.

TrainofThought
02-21-2007, 05:26 AM
this thread is stupid.Come on show us your flaming side.

writerterri
02-21-2007, 05:26 AM
this thread is stupid.

Does blood run through your heart?

William Haskins
02-21-2007, 05:27 AM
Does blood run through your heart?

what is this "heart" of which you speak?

Alan Yee
02-21-2007, 05:56 AM
Even people from school think I am completely different online than I am in person. In real life, I'm not nearly this talkative, nor do I make suggestive comments every few minutes. I'm usually pretty quiet, now that I think of it. That may completely change once I have the opportunity to meet some other writers offline.

And, uh, if it isn't obvious enough, this avatar really isn't me. Dammit. Vin Diesel is kind of hot, though.

rhymegirl
02-21-2007, 05:57 AM
This thread is stupid

Ummmmm...

Didn't William start this thread?

Rolling Thunder
02-21-2007, 06:15 AM
It's a rhetorical musing. You know how poets are.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-21-2007, 06:18 AM
I agree with Haskins.

Soccer Mom
02-21-2007, 06:38 AM
I agree with Haskins.

Is this one of the signs of the apocalypse?

JeanneTGC
02-21-2007, 06:46 AM
this thread is stupid.
"Mamma always said stupid is as stupid does."

Gee...um...irony or sarcasm? I'm not quite sure...*races off to start new thread*

TsukiRyoko
02-21-2007, 07:14 AM
I hate to tell you - this isn't much of a newsflash. :D
Really? Man....

Alan Yee
02-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Really? Man....

Hmmm. Let's get this straight. You will go to jail for murder, and yesterday you said you were coming to get me. I hope I'm not the one you're going to jail for.

DamaNegra
02-21-2007, 07:23 AM
I'm always the same online than in real life. How troublesome to be creating different personalitites and keeping track of them. As we say down here... "que pinche hueva"

TsukiRyoko
02-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Hmmm. Let's get this straight. You will go to jail for murder, and yesterday you said you were coming to get me. I hope I'm not the one you're going to jail for.
..No...You're, er...You're wrong, Alan! Stop jumping to conclusions.

My God, he figured it out.... Sonovabitch...

TsukiRyoko
02-21-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm always the same online than in real life. How troublesome to be creating different personalitites and keeping track of them. As we say down here... "que pinche hueva"
Lies. All lies. I know it, I can sense it.

louisgodwin
02-21-2007, 11:04 AM
I have to admit I'm much less shy here than I am in RL. For me, I think it's the anonymity.

lfraser
02-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm probably more reluctant to speak up on line than I am in real life. I know, I seem like a chatterbox, but I have a hard time talking about anything that has any real importance. I think that's because there aren't any visual cues, and I rely on those a lot in comunication.

This place is pretty tame, though. There isn't a lot of flaming and trolling. A few of the game forums I've been on have attracted a fair share of those. Some of them have even been amusing, in a demented, what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you sort of way. It's always fun to see how far they get before a moderator swoops in.

writerterri
02-22-2007, 02:15 AM
what is this "heart" of which you speak?

It's your Coolaid pumper. You should listen to it sometime. :tongue

sassandgroove
02-22-2007, 10:42 PM
So is that the deal with Dclary?

Jaycinth
02-23-2007, 03:17 AM
So is that the deal with Dclary?

You folks deal in Dclarys? Woah! How much are they going for these days?

...I know where to get one...

Soccer Mom
02-23-2007, 06:29 AM
Ew. No one wants a bloated corpse, Jay. There's a market for live Dclary's but no one wants your old dead one that's been chewed on by moat alligators.

TsukiRyoko
02-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Ew. No one wants a bloated corpse, Jay. There's a market for live Dclary's but no one wants your old dead one that's been chewed on by moat alligators.
Moat alligators? Can I have one, Jay? My Clary died a while back, and I need something to feed it to. I hate wasting stuff.

Soccer Mom
02-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Go borrow one from the Royalty Castle. But don't touch Fluffy. She's RT's pet.

TsukiRyoko
02-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Go borrow one from the Royalty Castle. But don't touch Fluffy. She's RT's pet.
Isn't Fluffy the one that bit Spooky's big toe off?

sassandgroove
02-24-2007, 02:36 AM
Where is Dclary, I thought he'd be all over this thread.

Eww....