My Unique family on TLC

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Did anyone watch this last night? I gotta say, originally I had planned to avoid it like the plague. After all, the first MUF was about a transgendered parent, and last week's was about a family with a genetic condition -- all I could think was "how can you lump the pagan family in with people who are fighting REAL battles?" Anyway, I was channel surfing and caved in, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

I was sure that the Wiccan family was going to be sensationalised and portrayed as a bunch of freaks, but TLC handled the show with sensitivity and respect.

Although I don't particularly agree with everything the mom said (and couldnt' figure out for the life of me why a Wiccan clergyperson feels the need to wear a Catholic priest's collar), the family was interesting and obviously loved each other. There were some issues they were working through, but it was all normal family stuff.

Kudos to TLC for not presenting the Wiccan family as a sideshow, and for handling this episode with the same dignity they used in the previous two shows.

wordsmyth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryevelynlewis.com
I watched the last half of this show. I didn't understand the clergy collar either.

Two things really stuck out for me. The Christian man who was "defining" Wicca - he obviously had never talked with someone who practices Wicca - pissed me off. And when the daughter was talking about how she felt about being a witch, how she got teased and it made her feel bad. I am a Pagan, but my children aren't. My littlest boy attends Sunday school with his Grandpa at a Methodist church. My stepson goes to a church youth group every Wednesday night, at a different church. I really think everyone needs to follow their own spiritual path, whatever that may be.