I was robbed...

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I think Travis Bickle had the right idea.

I step into some Nascar-themed convenience store on the way home from work to get some TP (4-ply, cotton cushion, heaven on the tush). I get a 20-spot out of the ATM, pay for my goods, like the honest citizen and moral atheist that I am, and the cashier, she shorts me $15 and point blank refuses to give me my proper change!

I am positive I handed her a 20. I mean, the bill never went into my wallet, and I don't have any other bills for it to be confused with.

And do you want to know what the ridiculous thing is?

I just took it. I walked out, walked home, feverishly dreaming of all these foul vengeances I'd love to wreck on this treacherous witch with a capital B, bolded, italicized and underlined.

And my printer's not working, so I can't even type out a complaint letter.

I mean, I toil for my money. I have to wait on 350 faulty clumps of backfiring genes a day---the rednecks and dope fiends and bums buying Listerine because they can't afford hard liquor.

And here's the killer punchline: Some lowlife was lurking right outside the store, some slacker in shoes worth more than my whole outfit, and he asks me for a fiver!

Urgh! Argh! Grrrrrrr! Must revenge self against the bubonic scum of this wretched planet:e2teeth: :e2teeth: :e2teeth: :e2teeth: :e2teeth:

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Sometimes I think Travis Bickle had the right idea.
Now that's a coincidence. I watched Taxi Driver for the first time in a good long while last night. Up until from the asassination, I did identify. Makes me wonder what's to come.
Jack the Lad said:
I just took it. I walked out, walked home, feverishly dreaming of all these foul vengeances I'd love to wreck on this treacherous witch with a capital B, bolded, italicized and underlined.
I can identify with that too.
You just turn and walk away.
In situations like this, it may be worht screwing up the courage and saying something. It may come out good. "Oh, you're right, her'es the right change."
Apart from anything else, when you tell Celia how you stood up to the cashier: Bam.

Last edited:

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it was an honest mistake...

:D Honest mistake or no, that's fifteen dollars she ripped off of me. That's a lot for someone barely making 10 grand a year. I'm a poor person and she screwed me over; i.e., she is scum.

I told her I handed her a twenty. She refused to check or get a manager or anything.

Anyhoo, I feel a little bit better, but the throw pillows will never look the same again:D

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
I'll teach you a trick to keep that from happening again: When you hand a clerk a single bill, say politely, "Out of twenty," (or five, or ten, or whatever). That forces the clerk to look at and acknowledge the amount you have handed over.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
That stinks.

Once, I was bummed out because I only made fifty bucks working all day as a waitress. I was really bummed when I got home and realized I had lost the fifty.

I never knew if someone stole it or I lost it.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Call the store and ask to talk to the manager. Let the manager know what happened and give them you contact info. That way if the teller's drawer is off, they can call you and return the money.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I was in the store and handed over a fiver, the girl gave me too much change, she though I'd given her a tenner. I told her and she apologized. I've been kicking myself since.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
Yesterday I was in the store and handed over a fiver, the girl gave me too much change, she though I'd given her a tenner. I told her and she apologized. I've been kicking myself since.

I've done that too many times to count...I wonder how much more money I would have if i never did it...

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
You did the right thing.
If you hadn't, the drawer would've been short. Then the boss would have:
1. Taken it from the cashiers wages.
2. Griefed the entrie staff.
Either way, you did the right thing and no-one suffers.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Call the store and ask to talk to the manager. Let the manager know what happened and give them you contact info. That way if the teller's drawer is off, they can call you and return the money.

Good idea!

Only now I'm worried the cashier will turn out to be the manager.

I'm such a cowardly custard:tongue

Reaction score
Always right down the ID number of the bills you have in your posession.

That way you could have called the cops and gotten your money back.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a soda at the local P&C (for my friend, as I don't drink soda.) Paid with a twenty. Completely forgot about change. Was halfway out the door when the cashier called out, "Hey! You want this change?" He saved me about 18 bucks.

Not everyone in the world is crap.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Always right down the ID number of the bills you have in your posession.

That way you could have called the cops and gotten your money back.

Yea, that wouldn't take much doing.

There's a scam, where you and a friend go into a coffee shop but sit at different tables. You order a cofee - your friend orders the same. He then finishes and goes to pay with a twenty. You then wait and after he has gone, you go pay with a fiver. But the twenty your friend has paid with has a tiny corner torn off. After you have paid and recieved change, you then query the guy and tell him you really paid with a twenty, and that you have the torn corner to prove it (given to you earlier by your friend). The guy opens the till and sees that there is a torn twenty and that the tiny corner bit you have matches perfectly the one in the drawer. He then gives you more change than you should have.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Which is why you never put the bill into the till until after you hand out the change. I was taken once with a quick change artist, I learned. It never happened again.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Which is why you never put the bill into the till until after you hand out the change. I was taken once with a quick change artist, I learned. It never happened again.

Yep, always be diligent. There are quite a few scams doing the rounds in London at the moment. I really should warn ToT before she comes over on her holiday.