The REAL X-Treme Cooking Thread!

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
While I hate to rival our PeeDee, heehee, I feel the need to bring light to the truly disasterous cooks on AW. I know I've had more than my share of, er, explosive cooking, but I'd like to hear about some of yours.

What's the absolute worst gone-wrong moment of your cooking...life. Or whatever the hell it's called.

*avoids Pete angry swipes*

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wierd stuff TR. Cooking is harmony. I don't like mixing a lotta sauces with too many folks. The last time this kinda competition happened I accidentally blew off the top of Mt. St. Helens. Ruined all my good cookware.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
Worst one? Honestly?

My first attempt at brining a Christmas turkey. It was a fine plump organic bird, cooked to perfection, and as tender as you could want. Except that I had measured the salt for the brine incorrectly, and it might as well have been a ham, it was so over-salted.

Fortunately our guests were too drunk to notice or care.

Last edited:

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
While I hate to rival our PeeDee
I don't know who to choose: you're under-age but Pete's male...
Tsuki said:
What's the absolute worst gone-wrong moment of your cooking...life. Or whatever the hell it's called.
I generally add worcestershire sauce to everything.
So I made Spag-Bol for others this weekend. I was shaking the sauce into the pan when the top fell off. I found it interesting-tasting, but then I was the only one who didn't get violently ill.
I think it was because they felt obliged to choke it down. Years of smoking and drinking to (almost) excess have left me 3 or 4 functioning tastebuds.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Wierd stuff TR. Cooking is harmony. I don't like mixing a lotta sauces with too many folks. The last time this kinda competition happened I accidentally blew off the top of Mt. St. Helens. Ruined all my good cookware.
Hey, I still have the remains of your cookware around here somewhere.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
While I hate to rival our PeeDee, heehee, I feel the need to bring light to the truly disasterous cooks on AW. I know I've had more than my share of, er, explosive cooking, but I'd like to hear about some of yours.

*avoids Pete angry swipes*

I get the impression there may be a food fight about start between Pete and Tsuki.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Not me, but my college roommate scorched off her eyelashes and half her bangs trying to light the oven in the dorm. After that I stuck with cooking atop the stove - the burners were self-lighting.

Over the summer I found out the hard way that cumin and cinnamon are NOT interchangeable when making an apple pie.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get me started. I'm not even going to get started. Just a couple of days ago I made biscuits and gravy. I put 3/4 of a cup of milk in the home made biscuits instead of the 1 cup it called for and had to start all over.

Fooey!

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
But... but... they say you can microwave anything. Anything!

You can, but whether or not it's a good idea to is another story...

Here's a tip - if you can't make the fireworks on Fourth of July, just put aluminum foil in your microwave for a couple of minutes instead. Pretty sparks...

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've never had any cooking mistakes, but my BIL and I used to brew beer together and at one point you have to add sugar, it helps with carbonation. The instructions said something like (it's been years) add one cup and I misread it and thought it said add one PACKAGE.

Needless to say the beer was supercarbonated. When you'd pop off the top the beer would erupt like a diet coke with a mentos dropped into it.

I hear we're lucky they didn't simply explode.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Here's a tip - if you can't make the fireworks on Fourth of July, just put aluminum foil in your microwave for a couple of minutes instead. Pretty sparks...
I had a jar of honey that had set too thick to spread. So I popped it in the Microwave to warm it into runniness.
Being a sensible chap, I made sure to remove the metal lid first. However I didn't realise that the shiny bits on the label were metal. *Duh*
Set the microwave for a minute, went to slice the bread. Glanced back at the microwave and... well... I saw the Apocalypse!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
What I used to call 'cooking mistakes', my ex used to call 'additional dining opportunities'.

So unless it was very burned, nothing ever got thrown out.

Nothing ever killed him either. dammit.

The closest I've ever come is when I added twice the hot pepper a recipie called for to an African dish.

The guests...except the African lady and another friend...well...they cried. They kept eating it, and they cried. The other two said it was 'mild', and asked for the recipie.

I can get you the recipie for ZilZil Wat, if you'd like.