PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Protocol on Queries ... ?

jodiodi
02-19-2007, 06:29 AM
I made some initial agent queries earlier this year and was soundly rejected. Some were quite nice about it. My question is:

Now that I've revised and, imo, made the novel much stronger, can I query any of the refusing agents again on the same work?

Or

Should I just write them off as lost causes because of my earlier eager stupidity and misguided enthusiasm?

Thanks for any advice.

Puma
02-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Hi jodiodi - This question has been addressed before and the bottom line was that it was okay to query the same agents again if there had been revisions. It gets a little more touchy if there have been sample chapters read, but, in a case like that, you might try being up front in the query letter about it.

In general, if you think about it, I've seen statistics that agents are getting 2,000 queries a week. How would they even remember a query letter from any one author or of a particular title unless something really stuck out? So, my thought is, go for it. Puma

jodiodi
02-19-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks. I did send some sample chapters to one agent in particular who said they 'didn't grab' her like she had hoped. She was very nice and didn't say, "Don't EVER send me any of your dreck again", so I figured she wasn't completely averse to my story.

JeanneTGC
02-19-2007, 08:03 AM
I believe rule of thumb is that if they took the time to give you any kind of interest -- asked for pages, replied with what they didn't like, and so on -- then you're okay to send a new query saying, "took your advice, made revisions, would you like to see again?"

If you were just form letter rejected straight out, unless you've also changed the title and your query substantially, there will be agencies that could know you've submitted the same thing again.

It all depends, too, on how many agents you queried before your revisions. If it was just a handful, there are many more out there, start fresh. If it was all your available agent market, then you pretty much have to re-query or shelve the book.

maestrowork
02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Unless you have significantly changed the story or rewrite it, or unless the agent suggests you may submit the same thing again, I wouldn't.