Motivational Quote?

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Below is something I found some years back when I first got bit by the Western writing bug. I keep it by my desk now and look at it when the motivation flags.

"The West is dead, my friend,
But writers hold the seed.
And what they sow,
Will live and grow,
Again for those who read.
C.M. Russell"

Russell was from Missouri, but he made Montana his home and inspiration for the majority of his adult life. In addition to his paintings, he was a fair Western short story author. He mourned the passing of the West he loved, but tried his best to point the way for those who would keep it alive in spirit if not substance. I know it works for me, and just wanted to share it in case it would work for someone else.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Very cool quote, Cav Guy. His paintings are awesome. We've had some of his work at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum (lovingly called the Cowboy Hall of Fame locally 'cause that's what it was 'back in the day') here in Oklahoma City.

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
P.S: For those doubters about Florida Cowboys, you may be interested to know that Mr. Russell painted a few of them.

Festus

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool quote, Cav Guy. His paintings are awesome. We've had some of his work at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum (lovingly called the Cowboy Hall of Fame locally 'cause that's what it was 'back in the day') here in Oklahoma City.

Yeah. I always preferred his stuff to Remington's, though they are both great artists. I'm especially fond of Remington's work on Frontier Army subjects, something I wish Russell would have done more of. Russell has a way with the landscape that just sucks you in and won't let go. We have a whole bunch of his stuff up in Great Falls, and one of these days soon I need to go back and see it again.