PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth writing about

fdonline
02-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi Guys

I want to write about problems people have with their PC's and i want to do a Q&A section where they would give me questions to answer,Im a qualified IT Technician.Can you guys offer me advice on this or where i can look for people who are interested in me to write about this?

Cheers

Brian

PeeDee
02-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, there's our tech forum that's down a ways, you could lurk in that. Barring that, you could set up a blog and advertise it on tech web-sites. Beyond that, beats me... :)

Birol
02-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Research markets that are aimed at your audience, confirm they're not already doing something like this, and send them queries?

PeeDee
02-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you meant for publication, else I would have given advice aimed toward that... :)

Rich
02-18-2007, 07:35 PM
With my knowledge of that stuff I'd probably be your most avid reader.

czjaba
02-18-2007, 09:06 PM
My opinion is that if the market isn't overcrowded with the items you specifically address, go for it.
By the way, I am more interested in buying a book that tells me exactly what wrong with my computer, than buying a new computer because my old one (after after 1 and a half years) just crashed causing me to lose all of my documents and especially pictures.
And yes, I have 2 desktop computers packed away, both with the original Windows XP, I am sitting here writing on a 3rd desktop, and my laptop is slowly crashing. So, definitely, a book is alot cheaper than a new computer. Especially if the book tells you exactly which software, firewalls, and other protections are absolutely necessary.

This is just my opinion.
Czjaba

Toothpaste
02-18-2007, 09:28 PM
One thing you have to remember, and being an IT person I am sure you are aware of it, is that the technology evolves in leaps and bounds. By the time you get your book published, chances are some of the technology will be out of date (my father published a book back in the 80's about teaching school using a commodor 64, you can probably understand why the royalty cheques have stopped rolling in). You may want to set up a blog to do what you are saying. You can actually make money writing a blog, and have as much success with it as being a published author. Maybe you should ask the good folks in the blogging thread about it.

I'm not saying you should totally abandon your book idea, I'm just saying that it may be tricky to do. You know way more about computers I am sure than I do, and I bet there are certain technologies that haven't changed much over the years, maybe you can write about those!

Okay, so muddled this morning, I hope some of this made sense!