PDA

View Full Version : Two requests for full ms

SK Kane
02-17-2007, 11:17 PM
I started querying a new novel this week, and I've received two requests for the full manuscript.

Neither agent asked to see the full manuscript exclusively. What is more, neither agent asked me to let them know if other agents are considering the full. Do I need to inform each of these agents that the full is also being considered by someone else? Or should I just go ahead and send it to both with no mention of this?

Toothpaste
02-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Hmm no expert and I am sure one will pipe up soon, but I just wanted to say congrats! That's awesome!

AnnieColleen
02-17-2007, 11:45 PM
From what I've heard*, if they didn't ask, you don't need to mention it.

If it gets to the point of discussing possible representation, that's when you need to start keeping people in the loop.

And, congrats!

*disclaimer: I have no experience in this area, so this is all hearsay.

clara bow
02-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Just send them on, no need to keep the agents appraised of other requests. If they snooze, they lose.

Big congratulations! Keep us posted.

DeadlyAccurate
02-18-2007, 01:48 AM
If one agent makes an offer, let the other know and have a chance to respond (with a deadline) before accepting.

Kristin Nelson just blogged about "getting the call" from an agent.
http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2007/02/agent-calltake-2.html

SK Kane
02-18-2007, 02:43 AM
Thanks. That's what I thought. But I just wanted to make sure.

Kristen King
02-20-2007, 07:56 AM
If they don't ask for an exclusive, it's none of their business if you've sent it out to one agent or one hundred agents. Like DA said, don't worry about it in this type of situation until you get an offer.

kk

Little Red Barn
02-20-2007, 08:09 AM
AWESOME, CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK! :)

maddythemad
02-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Good luck, SK Kane! Let us know what happens! :D

Moon Daughter
02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
When I was researching on how to make a query, the author of the article said that typically you should mention if there are other queries. Agents tend to get to the queries faster if the sender hasn't sent them to anyone else. The agent I queried hasn't responded yet and it's been a little over a month and I wrote how I was only sending to him. I hope it won't be too much longer ;)

But I do agree with KK. If they don't recommend on their site that you write it in the query, then don't bother.

scarletfox
02-27-2007, 03:05 AM
Congratulations on the two requests! And like people said, if they don't ask for it, don't worry about it.