Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Just read this, recommended by someone in my critque group:

Judith Barrington. "Writing the Memoir: From Truth to Art"

Found it very helpful, especially in her discussion of scene, narrative, and musing. Also time lines, moving back and forth. Not long, both straightforward and inspiring.

Anyone have other resources that have been helpful?

--Susan B.

calamity

Registered
Reaction score
Vivian Gornick's The Situation and the Story. My favorite part of this book is actually her close readings of essays and memoirs.

Inventing the Truth: The Art and Craft of Memoir edited by William Zinsser. It's a dozen or so essays by different memoirists.

William Zinsser's, Writing About Your Life: A Journey into the Past. A memoir on how to write memoir. I've enjoyed his craft books quite a bit but I find his memoirs boring.

Creative Nonfiction Magazine also has some good articles on memoir. The "29 Million Little Choices" issue was especially illuminating on memoir writing.

There's an article in the latest issue of AWP Magazine about memoir writing that's good.

I also read Judith's book and found it very helpful.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. I know that I'll need to read about the genre before I really get to writing my story.

slsherwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lindasherwood.com
A great way to learn how to write memoir is to read memoir. And don't just focus on good memoirs. I've learned a lot from reading what I would consider bad memoirs as well.

For instance, one question you consider when writing memoir is do you change the names of some people? For an answer, I started looking at what other writers have done, and how those writers let the reader know about it.