Two Fulls, Two Rejections, Same Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
I got my first two rejections on a full, both today, both forms. From ICM and Wililam Morris. I should have known better than to get too excited.

The options are winding down. Two more fulls and a partial are out there, but somehow, I'm not encouraged.

I know rejections on fulls are a rite of passage, but I'm feeling pretty dejected. I was just starting to feel encouraged.

I need a break from all of this.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that. Somehow it makes it better when the rejections are spaced out. I know what you mean by needing a break. The whole process makes you want to pull your hair out.

Look at it this way, though--you got full requests from *major* agencies. that is a *huge* validation of your work/premise. This is where the subjectivity factor enters the picture. Someone will see the light; just keep plugging away.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take a little break but go back and search for your agents...don't give up. The resources are here for you.
hugs kimmi

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Rejections on fulls from ICM and Wililam Morris? You got them to look at fulls? I'm impressed. Obviously, you're doing something right. Keep sending them out! :)

Oh, I'm sorry they were rejections and all, but don't give up.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Aw man that sucks! but I mean . . . dude . . . both those agencies wanted FULLS? That's pretty sweet. That means that you are on the right track and that is extremely important. You should feel darn confident that way.

And anyway, when I sent my stuff out I sent it to 14 agents. ALL of them said no except 1. That was the only one who wanted a full. And they were the only ones who offered me representation. But it hasn't served me too badly. All you need is one yes. Seriously. Don't get down now. If I hadn't included my agency in the intial mailout who knows what would have happened, and they were totally a last minute addition.

It'll work out. You are already almost there. Keep the faith and as I always quote: "Never give up, never surrender!!!"

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Hey, rejections are part of the business. Everybody gets them. Writing is just as much about "showing up" and "hanging in there" as it is about "talent". Yes you need talent but you need just as much (if not more) persistance.

It's best not to get too excited about anything at least until the check clears. :)

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
I just get excited to get personal rejections from my queries. To me, that means that someone actually took the time to read what I have written. And you have rejections on fulls? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its great to get rejections, but I am saying its great to go ahead and get the no's out of the way. Eventually, you will get a yes. It only takes one yes to make all the no's go away.
And, keep in mind this comes from a writer of 2 books, neither of which has been published. But I keep my head held high and my fingers crossed. Good luck to ya!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
First, have some chocolate.

Second: They both requested fulls? WOW! Take a break, veg out, and then get back in the saddle. You obviously have something here!

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
I got six rejections on my full ms (most were form rejections) before receiving an offer from Curtis Brown.

Hang in there. I know how discouraging it feels to get so close--and then hear, "No thanks." But you obviously have a strong premise and an attractive manuscript.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
I've had six rejections on fulls; and only right now do I have my second requested fulls with two different agents (meaning they each read one and decided they wanted to see more)...I hope I'm close -- but this is mostly to say, hang in there -- it'll happen for you too!!

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
Aww man! Rejections on fulls sting so much! But if I remember correctly, you've still got several irons in the fire. So keep thinking good thoughts about them!!!

Maprilynne

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Thank you very much for your kind words and for your encouragement. Collectively you seem to have more confidence in me than I do! I'm getting a bit nervous that my writing or the story is seriously flawed. My biggest fear is being a perpetual literary bridesmaid and never a bride. I just have this gut feeling it isn't going to happen for me.

On the bright side, my husband and I had a (planned) getaway in Boston, so I was able to indulge in good food, fun, and relaxation for a couple of days. I also did some retail therapy, including a $40 spree at Godiva (despite having just received Godiva on Valentine's Day). Let's hear it for chocolate!

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
I don't think there is any way your writing or your story could be "seriously flawed" if you've been getting requests for partials and fulls from such major agents! It is hard to get to that final acceptance, but at this stage, with getting so close, it is probably just persisting till you find that one person to say yes.

And in the meantime, there is chocolate--which is supposed to help with memory, according to what I just read in the paper.

Good luck!

Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.