Advice needed on a delicate issue

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I don't know if this is the best place to post this, so fair enough if it gets moved.

I suspect a friend of mine is cheating on her bloke. I have nothing definite to base this upon which is obviously a problem. They've been together about six years and technically engaged for just over two. No wedding plans have been publicly discussed in probably eighteen months. She's told me she's not 100% happy with their relationship and told her bloke this about six months ago. Since then, they've apparently been working on improving things although nothing seems to have changed on the surface.

Now the problem: I know she works with a guy who has expressed interest in her and he is very much her type. She usually spends two Saturday nights a month with someone she describes as an old work friend and is very guarded about not mentioning names or locations.

If she and her bloke were OK, I wouldn't think too much of anything happening with the other guy, but with their relationship going through a long rough patch AND the other guy being on the scene, I'm a little worried.

I have no idea if I should say anything and don't want be in the middle of anyone's relationship problems. Any advice, good people?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My advice is to stay out of other people's relationships. What if you are wrong? Actually, even if you're right... personally, I don't want anyone butt in my relationship, so I wouldn't want to get involved with others'.

That said, you could always lend a shoulder to your friend and ask if there's anything she wants to talk about, etc. I just don't think you should bring the topic up.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would say nothing and stay out of it. Two things to stay out of:

1. Never get involved in a land war in China.

2. Never get involved in someone elses relationship.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I agree with Ray. Stay out of it and if your friend continues to complain making you uncomfortable, tell her you don’t want to hear about it.

A couple of close friends and I discussed cheating. I know that if I ever saw their spouse with someone romantically they want to know about it. They believe it is humiliating and a betrayal if friends knew about their spouse’s extracurricular sex life and never told them. Plus, it puts them in danger of STDs. If I am DEFINITELY sure my friends’ spouses are cheating, I would confront the spouse to spill the beans or I will.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
1. Never get involved in a land war in China.
That's one of the classic blunders. And never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Anyway, to join the chorus, I agree with Ray. Though I also agree with TofT, with regard to spouses. If you're friends with a married couple and you know one of them is cheating, the dynamic changes, imo.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Sounds like good advice to keep out of it. I've always believed that things like this come out at some point. I suppose the best thing for me to do is keep my head down and hope if/when it comes out, the fit doesn't hit the shan too hard.

Mae

this is me - is that you?
Registered
Reaction score
If I am DEFINITELY sure my friends’ spouses are cheating, I would confront the spouse to spill the beans or I will.

Been there, done that. Backfired.... but I would do it again.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
"just let it be".

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I try to be open-minded but I have to draw the line somewhere - especially if my friend is already involved. That would just make things too complicated.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Stay out of it. The messenger always gets killed.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I'd say that regardless of what's happening, the best thing is to not get involved. People get shot, mangled, bitch out, and disliked for stuff like this. And that's not telling what will happen to you. I can understand wanting to protect a close friend's relationship, but watch where you tread VERY carefully. Matter like this are 1) not easily solved, 2) the types of matters that usually end badly for everyone, and 3) ones that should be primarily dealt with by the couple.

I'd say if you were going to get involved at all, give your friend a reason to raise a red flag and watch where the relationship is going for a while. That's the furthest it should go on your part.

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
I'd say if you were going to get involved at all, give your friend a reason to raise a red flag and watch where the relationship is going for a while. That's the furthest it should go on your part.

That's exactly two contradictory pieces of advice. "Raising a red flag" means saying what? "You didn't hear it from me but..." I thought my advice was crap.

Os.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
That's exactly two contradictory pieces of advice. "Raising a red flag" means saying what? "You didn't hear it from me but..." I thought my advice was crap.

Os.
More like, "So how long have you known her 'work friend' for?" if the guy is more reachable. For the woman, I'd say just finding a sneaky way to remind her of what brought the two together at the beginning of the relationship. Even if she isn't cheating, reminding her of what started the couple should help to mend the things that are tearing them apart.

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
More like, "So how long have you known her 'work friend' for?" if the guy is more reachable. For the woman, I'd say just finding a sneaky way to remind her of what brought the two together at the beginning of the relationship. Even if she isn't cheating, reminding her of what started the couple should help to mend the things that are tearing them apart.

Still risky. Never underestimate intuitive womanly powers.

Os.

Reaction score
Don't tug on Superman's cape, don't spit into the wind, don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger and you don't mess around in someone else's relationship. :)

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
Just keep fretting about it and gathering more evidence until, finally, at the wedding, you can't handle it anymore and shout it out during the ceremony when the minister says the, "if anyone has a reason to object."

It'll be hillllllarious.

Have you never seen a rom-com?

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
Go on, be tacky and send an anonymous letter. You know you've always wanted to do something like that.

(Seriously -- stay out of it. Run, do not walk, away from this mess. If necessary, hang around with someone else until it either blows over or everything goes boom. If you stick around, one way or another you will come up dripping with smelly brown goop.)