Brick - CONTAINS SPOILERS

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Saw "Brick" for the first time last night and was blown away.... one of -the- great scripts of recent years.

I loved how they got the whole noir thing going with a teenage cast, and how they got the kids to speak adult dialogue as if it was natural to them....

The lead actor mumbles a bit too much, but if noir is your thing, then this is a must-see movie...

Willie

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
The ending ruined this movie for me.

*spoilers* if he was the father would it have changed how he acted? No. Then why make it a big secret? A big reveal? Why the inaudible, yet subtitled, whisper? Argh.

I enjoyed the film, but the ending made me so angry as to shatter all the good will it had built up.

Looking forward to Brothers Bloom though. The script was in my office but disappeared before I could read it. Now no one claims to have it, although someone must...

scripter1

Article Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Kitchen table, parked in front of the computer.
Interesting read.

Loads of cool dialog.

Scary, scary for me as an adult to think about this with teenagers but it takes the impact to whole new levels. If it were adults this would be a nothing script.

So, what's the history on this script?
The guys self produce and do thier own DVD?

The notes were funny.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
*spoiler*

*spoilers* if he was the father would it have changed how he acted? No. Then why make it a big secret? A big reveal? Why the inaudible, yet subtitled, whisper? Argh.

Because Laura told him that she was going to take Emily to have an abortion because, "she didn't love the father." In other words, he found out at the end that Emily had stated, in so many words, that she never loved him. It may not have changed the way he acted, but it would have changed his motivations. Throughout the film, it seemed that he thought she had some secret reason for leaving him, and he wanted to know what it was. It turned out that her secret was that she was pregnant, and she couldn't be with him, because she realized that she didn't love him.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
*spoiler

I thought she had already made it pretty clear that she didn't love him. It's been a while since I've seen it, but didn't she say that to him directly at some point?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
No, she didn't. And when she called him at the beginning, he was trying to attach meaning to it, (that mayeb she missed him, and loved him) when she really was just scared and didn't know who to call.